• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

New Buffy Movie Official Discussion Thread #3

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
You can find the last two threads here:

#2 New Buffy Movie Official Discussion Thread #2 - Buffy-Boards
#1 Buffy movie being developed without Joss - Buffy-Boards

And the last post from the previous thread:

I'll see it out of curiosity, definitely but I already know if they do it without the original cast I won't like it. I have been watching buffy forever, seen every episode millions of times and own the complete series. Buffy was my first addiction of a tv show. I use to spend hours infront of the tv watching it. Buffy the show has ment alot to me and the characters in it made it. Aswell as the actors/actress's wjom played them. I think it is a stupid idea to wanna do buffy in a movie with total new cast. I am a buffy freak though and I love vampires so i will check it out if they go through with it but I'll download I ain't giving them any money for a movie that will probably fail if tehy do it that way.

By the way anyone know if this is actualy a go, I haven't heard a official yes on it yet?

white avenger

white avenger
I haven't heard any more in the way of production or anything like that but Aly Hannigan described it yesterday as "a big mistake".

Alyson Hannigan Says No Thanks To The Buffy The Vampire Slayer Remake

The article does make one point that might have been pretty much missed until now. The "Twilight" movies, "Moonlight," "True Blood," and "Vampire Diaries" have main characters who mostly appeal to a largely female audience. A "Buffy" movie with a sexy, more mature (think Anita Blake here rather than high school cheerleader) female in the lead would appeal more to the male audience. Toss in some beefcake actors for the ladies, and they might have something that would surprise everybody and be a real success.

Think about it. We who know and love the "real" Buffy are a relatively small percentage of the audience that the producers hope to attract. They're aiming for the much larger, more general viewers, the ones who feel no loyalty whatsoever to Sarah, let alone any of the other original cast members.

R
redheadboi19
[No message]

redheadboi19

Darth-Rossenburg
I am not sure how I really feel about that. I get needing to appear to a wider audiance in order to get something up and running. But I think anyone other then Sarah playing B is just weird. When I go back and watch the origional movie (which I still do fairly often) I dont think of Kristen as Buffy. Just watching it feels so...strange. I think Sarah imbodies a lot of what you think of when you think Buffy. I think she could appeal to a male audiance. I am gay and I think she is hot as hell. I dont like the woman...I like her as buffy and that is it. She used to be quite popular though and maby if she manages to do something to bring some of here popularity back then this movie could be a possibility...But I dont really know how she could make herself wanted again. She has not had anything big at all since she eneded Buffy. I would love to see this movie happen and with any luck lead into a nother show....But Im not holding my breath anymore. Im haveing hope becauce Buffy is suddinly back on T.V...But that does not prove that anything is comeing...It is just there to tease those of us who want more.

A
anne92998
I saw Buffy the other day and it was sooo weird seeing Kristy playing Buffy!

anne92998

Townie
I hope there isn't another installment in any way of Buffy. Buffy is what it is because it ended. Unlike a lot of other Whedon projects, Buffy was the only one that actually grew and was able to form a story that lives on even though the end. Making a cheaper version of it to "cash in" on the vampire craze cheapens art and the artists who make it. The only way this could work would be to have everyone on board and even then, it might run the risk of being forced. Buffy was given a chance to evolve and become more than just a franchise. I hope if the Kuzuis had any respect for BTVS they would forget this all together.

white avenger

white avenger
I was wondering, would a Buffy movie be better received by the fans if it were supposed to be closer to the original TV storyline, and Joss and some of the original cast, say Sarah, David, James, and others, actually endorsed it? Sort of a passing on of the torch kind of thing? Maybe with some sort of statement like, "Buffy helped launch our careers, and now it's only appropriate that it do the same for another group of talented young actors," to assure the fans that the project, while not actually involving the "real" characters, was at least carrying on in their tradition?

Kean
Kean
Congrats on your Buffie Award! You big know it all ;)
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
congrats on your award :)
I was wondering, would a Buffy movie be better received by the fans if it were supposed to be closer to the original TV storyline, and Joss and some of the original cast, say Sarah, David, James, and others, actually endorsed it? Sort of a passing on of the torch kind of thing? Maybe with some sort of statement like, "Buffy helped launch our careers, and now it's only appropriate that it do the same for another group of talented young actors," to assure the fans that the project, while not actually involving the "real" characters, was at least carrying on in their tradition?

I think maybe a lot of fans would feel better about it in that situation. But most agree that they can't imagine anyone else playing Buffy.

I'm willing to give it a chance...except if the rumors about Megan Fox playing Buffy turn out to be true.

LittleMissLikesToFight

Into Every Generation...
Well, Megan Fox would be perfect... if it's a reboot of the original movie and she plays a dumb valley girl. I mean, she doesn't even have to ACT it'll be natural for her!

Summerlilly

Covert Superhero
The only way I could envision this movie being a success in anyway is if they completely detach themselves from the original. The one and only similarity being that Buffy is a Vampire Slayer and she kicks ass. No refrence to any of the other origional characters or storylines. They need to come up with their own characters and plots and stay away from the television series. Doing it anyother way would just bring too much of a comparison that would sabatoge the entire thing. I probably won't go to the movies to see it anyway just out of respect for Joss and the origional cast but I would consider watching it if it were a complete detachment from the origional...it has to be a whole new movie. The question is, could they ever be that creative?

B
BillyidolwannaB
[No message]
B
Big Damn Hero
[No message]
S
Spikefan31
[No message]

redheadboi19

Darth-Rossenburg
news show talks about new buffy movie!!

Ok so I just found this on youtube!! it is a talk of a new buffy movie on some news show!!! EVERYONE NEEDS TO WATCH IT!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEZy4Ht3lkY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEZy4Ht3lkY[/ame]

S
Summerlilly
It's not because we weren't ready for a vampire flick its because the movie sucks!!!!!!!
B
buffyprops
Seen it a while ago!

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
Thanks. But it's since June last year so not really something new. But possibly something old that people haven't seen before. :)

Am I excited about getting a new Buffy movie which will be nothing like the show? No. But it won't stop me from watching it. I'm way too curious to manage to stay away. I might even like it or think it's great. But I have a hard time seeing it as related to the show. And my fear is that it'll suck and people will judge the tv-show based on that without even having watched it. People are like that after all. Judging something without knowing much if anything about it.

K
Kelsey
YES. That's my fear, too. Or worse, "This is just a Twilight rip-off!" I. Would. Die.
R
redheadboi19
oh ok thanks for that bit of information. I did not know that, i just saw it....and i do agree about the movie. i would hate for it to ruin new peoples oppinion of the show

dan k

Bangel Is Eternal
Buffy film 2012

Couldn't find a thread for this so i thought i'd start a discussion. Just watched a fellow fan's take on the 2012 film [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HANmT4wg8Bs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HANmT4wg8Bs[/ame].

For me everything she says is right. I love the idea of another Buffy project don't get me wrong but the show's success was its characters and its cast. By the sounds of it the film is not going to have either of the two things i mentioned.

Someone else playing Buffy isn't going to work either. SMG is Buffy. Will the fans except anyone else playing her? I know i won't.

No Xander, Willow, Giles, Spike, Angel etc. Take out all the characters we love? It makes no sense, are all signs that the movie is going to be terrible.

I hope the film does poorly. Maybe it will force Joss's hand and lead to him bringing some respect back to the Buffy name because i fear this movie will just turnish the show's successes.

Surely no one else can be excited about this project? Will anyone go and see it? Do people think it will damage the show's reputation?

I got through about 3 minutes of that before getting annoyed. I find her delivery obnoxious though I agree with some of her points.

Tome
Tome
HEY WE HAVE THE SAME AVATAR!! Nice :)

pieceofgosa

Master of the Possimpible
Wow, ok this girl is bringing some serious negativity into my positive world ! I'm with you Shan, I got just over 4 minutes before I had to turn her off. Ok I get it, you think it's going to blow, fair enough. All I'm saying is give it a chance to blow before declaring it a flop :) Nothing will ever replace these characters, actors & writers for me (& I'm guessing most of us) but the concept of a teenage girl with a mystic calling to fight the forces of evil stands as a solid concept, we should give the people involved in this project a chance to start pre-production before we chuck the toys outta the pram. Comics have been pulling this stuff for years, reinventing characters, changing origin stories. Some people won't like it but some people might. In the end a lame-ass Buffy movie (if that's what it turns out to be) won't make me love the show any less, I imagine most people would be with me on that. My advice to the creative team involved with this movie (check me, lol) would be to distance themselves as far away from the Buffy we know & love, don't use the same characters, don't use the same plots, keep the basic premise & go wild with it. Anything else would most probably be a complete trainwreck.

Superstar

33.3bar% Pure Evil
I have three words to this: Star Trek 2009

Time to move on people.
Or you can keep pining for fat Scotty and fan-dancing Uhura, whisky-bean farting Kirk, Spock and McCoy and totally clueless Sulu and Chekov.

You choose.

GrimsWatcher

Potential
Superstar, um...Buffy is still very recent, and Star Trek is from the 60's. So it's understandable for ST to get a reboot, but Buffy is still too new for that. And this talk about moving on? This is a Buffy fan board, anyone who's here hasn't moved on. We're still fans, and that's why we are here.

Giantevilhead

Townie
Considering how these things have turned out in the past, the likelihood of this being good is pretty low. However, depending on how much money they put into promoting the movie, this could be lead to a resurgence of the show.

I have three words to this: Star Trek 2009

Time to move on people.
Or you can keep pining for fat Scotty and fan-dancing Uhura, whisky-bean farting Kirk, Spock and McCoy and totally clueless Sulu and Chekov.

You choose.

Star Trek 2009 was a cheap cash in that relied mainly on an attractive cast, action, and special effects rather than good writing or intelligent story like the show, or at least the first two seasons.

Star Trek 2009 is basically Star Trek's version of the Phantom Menace.

Superstar

33.3bar% Pure Evil
Superstar, um...Buffy is still very recent, and Star Trek is from the 60's. So it's understandable for ST to get a reboot, but Buffy is still too new for that. And this talk about moving on? This is a Buffy fan board, anyone who's here hasn't moved on. We're still fans, and that's why we are here.
Let's see... the main principals have no interest in returning, they have aged and have expressed concerns regarding such among other difficulties in this project.

I'm a fan as well, but I am also a realistic one.
Firefly has a better chance of returning to the small screen than the Buffy TV crew does on the big one.
Which is to say... virtually nil.

Sorry if you don't recognize that.
It's time to reinvent Buffy.

I didn't fall asleep during Star Trek '09...which is more than I can say for The Phantom Menace.

Anyway, I ended up watching the rest of the video (which was still cringe-worthy) and she mentioned Heath Ledger as The Joker. In live-action The Joker has been played by three different actors (possibly more but I can't remember), and many more in animated form. James Bond has been played by six actors (in the major films). Batman has been played by six. The "these actors are the only ones who can play these characters" argument is bullplop.

It is very soon, though, as the televised 'verse only ended in 2004. I take issue with that.

Top Bottom