• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

New Food Ideas

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I've recently discovered a love of caramelised onion chutney, and would like to learn how to make that myself one day. I've trying to do something new each month, whether it's trying a new food, or a new recipe. Doesn't have to be a recipe out of a book or internet just cooking something different.

Do you try new things, what have you tried and did you like it? Or do you tend to stick to the same foods all the time?

Octavia
Octavia
Chutney would be a great chrissy pressie! I want to make some for sandwiches now...

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Carmelised onion chutney, what type of chutney is used? How was it suggested to make the onions carmelised, as depending on how long they are 'burnt' for affects the taste. I used to enjoy doing new tastes for things, Orange flavoured cheesecakes, Cherry Brandy flavoured Cheesecake. Watermelon flavoured cheesecakes, flicking the pips at waitresses was great fun.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
I started getting recipe boxes recently to try to help me create new meals and they're great because they provide recipe cards you can keep. The food was mostly really good (a few meals I just didn't like!) and I've kept the recipes I liked to try again.

The only issue was it wasn't cheap!

brinkster130
brinkster130
I've done the same thing to get some new recipes and ideas. It is cool, but pricey.

Mr. Pointy

A sharp stick - it's true
Watcher
Black Thorn
Staying on the caramelised onion thing...I just love Cheddar cheese with caramelised onion. It is Pointy crack cocaine ;) Also, we have recently come across Red Leicester Mini-Cheddars here at Pointy Towers and tend to scoff down those lovely cheesey, biscuity snacks like they're going out of fashion

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
Staying on the caramelised onion thing...I just love Cheddar cheese with caramelised onion. It is Pointy crack cocaine ;) Also, we have recently come across Red Leicester Mini-Cheddars here at Pointy Towers and tend to scoff down those lovely cheesey, biscuity snacks like they're going out of fashion
View attachment 13671
I too recently discovered Red Leicester Cheddars and they're seriously dangerous to my waistline!

Mr. Pointy
Mr. Pointy
It’s much too late for my waistline, so I don’t care 😉
ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
waistline, WAISTLINE? There's nowt wrong with my back.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I have a cure for eating to many Red Leicester Cheddars, for one they would be seriously expensive here and have you ever heard an Australian try to pronounce the word Leicester as it is meant to be said?

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Ok, I am about to try something completely different (for me) and stick to basic staples 🤣 the trick to keeping staples interesting is the condiments. I love chutney and the hotter sorts of preserves (I could send you my preserve book when I am done if you're still into it nightshade!) but I need to get over my ocd fear of storing them out of the fridge. I know they should be ok in the pantry here (it was a different story when I lived in the shed where it would get up to 50C in the pantry!). Im not sure how my tomato and bacon one would go unrefrigerated though.. I guess it depends how much bacon I use?

I made things like zucchini spread and apple puree last year and they were marvelous. I have not had such great luck with growing zucchinis since then so I wish I hadn't eaten the entire stash! I had too many apples. I am going to look into other breeds of seeds for veg cos some of the stuff I grew was rank. The rocket that reseeds itself tastes like chemical pepper and the kale was too thick.

I want to try and find cheese that I can keep in the pantry too, I thought there was some kraft cheese that came in foil in a box, we used to feed it to the kids when I worked in childcare.

I have discovered that 4 bean mix tastes pretty great with salad dressing when I want something sweeter than balsamic. I had just been using leftover squeeze packs from pub salads haha, so I might look into making some of that. I also want to try and make mayo out of duck eggs, but need to pick up some mustard for that.

Has anyone ever made bread in the microwave? I was pondering if that would work while cooking pudding in it tonight.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
Bread made in a microwave is called dough

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
If you could get your pantry up to 60°C for 15 minutes per day your food would be in a state of pasteurization at the times that happened and you would have fresh preserves forever since everything is sealed in a jar.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
If you could get your pantry up to 60°C for 15 minutes per day your food would be in a state of pasteurization at the times that happened and you would have fresh preserves forever since everything is sealed in a jar.
Yeah, damn sun piking out before it heated the pantry to 60! Wouldn't have a problem with that, under 4 or over 60 follows the rules ;) But its a much, much cooler climate here and I am pretty sure I caught ALL OF THE bugs I was so scared of by eating at the local cafe anyway. I need better jars, the lids snapped when I was sterilising the ones I got from the reject shop.

I wont have any money to restock the pantry til later in the week, nor energy to leave town to get it haha. I might have a final binge while doing this tv/cleaning binge.

Whats on your shopping list this week @nightshade?

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Very little as I'm going to be out for most of the week! However I do have some pearl barley that I'm going to try and find a recipe for.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I have beans, loo roll and chocolate and my list and its still near $200! I should stop recycling my tins and start selling them with the amount I go through lately haha. All I know to do with pearl barley is soups or rabbit food haha.

Tonights dinner on the stove is rice, with silverbeet from the garden, chick peas and my pantry mix of asian flavours. I wanted salty salt goodness.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Does anyone know what bio cheese is? Or which cheeses can keep in the cupboard? Ohhh I wonder if those little wax circles are pantry safe - they were cute and yum.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
It is perfectly safe to keep cheese in the cupboard for over a week, what! eh, oh no I wouldn't recommend eating it.

Confuscious say what bio cheese is. He shrugs then says it is cheese with the word bio written in front of it.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I didnt go for the biocheese, and discovered that processed shelf stable cheddar gives me migraines - just like UHT milk does, as much as I love the taste! I think I am going to have to save for a chest freezer cos dairy locally costs 4 times as much and I need the calcium!

I tried canned ham the other day. It smelt like cat food. I glazed it in tinned peaches and it was much better. Again though, it does tell me I am going to need a cold store for summer cos it did not go down too well in regards to how healthy I felt after.

I have a whole bunch of pickling size onions that I can do something with. I want to try pickling the duck eggs too but I am scared to do that without the right storage for them. I think dinner tonight will be potatoes. I have some rocket ready to eat in the garden too. I picked some for the buns but they arent interested but I am. I need some tomatoes but they are out of season here :(

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Went out to the Nepalese restaurant tonight, I stuck to my korma, but I did try a few of the others dishes, even braved dipping my naan into the vindaloo sauce, after which I quickly had a drink! That's definitely not for me!

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Dear nightshade, if you tried to many dishes would that bugger up your Karma, or just your waistline?

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Beetroot bacon is much better than I expected! I also put some dehydrated mushrooms in the oven with them and that tastes a bit like crunchy bacon fat. I made some crumbed beetroot slices too, which were also great. But not filling at all. The tastes are there but not much substance.

thrasherpix

Scooby
A surprising treat I found one day while I was very low on food supplies. I just had a few cans of split pea soup (with bacon in it) so I opened one up. And I added chopped onion to it along with, I think, grated pepper jack (I've used different cheese types since then and can't recall which is the first I tried), extra black pepper, and sriracha (sold in the form of "Rooster Sauce") with Thai peanut sauce. And then I put in chips...what were they? I'm pretty sure they were ranch (but like the cheeses, I've tried other kinds, and I tend to go with either Fritos or a ranch flavor chip).

I was thinking at least it shouldn't be bland, and was then shocked how good that was. It was so good that I instantly made another bowl of it, though I wasn't able to finish it...ever get so full and regret it because you want to eat more but have no more room? That was me that day.

As should be clear, I still make that on a regular basis. Still, I was brought up on spicy, Tex Mex foods so my tongue can handle it. Not everyone can. But who knows, maybe just a dab of that Rooster Sauce will work just as well as the amount I pour on it if your tongue is that sensitive.

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Does anyone know if you can freeze hummus?

I was thinking of making my own, but I wouldn't be able to eat it all, I don't know how long it can be in the fridge if it's in a container.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
I wouldn't. Ir will probobly taste weird after it's thawed.
Top Bottom