• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

New Food Ideas

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
After one has cooked the stew until most of the 'soup' has dried up you upturn the cooking pan over the serving dish,
for that famous international delicacy the:

.. .. .. .. .. SPLODGE !

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Thinking about doing some version of cous cous stuffed mushrooms this week, anyone have any cous cous recipes?

I already have cous cous in the cupboard, I'm not buying quinoa when I have cous cous to use up!

Last edited:
Spanky
Spanky
Couscous is bad for you! not enough nutrients and too many carbs. Swap the cous with quinoa.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
As a continuation from by last reply #101 there is a wonderful taste, admittedly though it is often referred to as .. .. ..burnt.

It is a wonder that us blokes who live alone ever survive.

TriBel

Scooby
Got Jerusalem artichoke and sweet potatoes in the veg box
That's a very hipsterish/middle class veg box (excuse the stereotype). ;) I have carrots, parsnips and potatoes from Asda...all on special offer at 20p a bag. I think Asda have "rolled back" to the 70s. I saved money but it bothers me...
I already have cous cous in the cupboard, I'm not buying quinoa when I have cous cous to use up!
I've ALWAYS got cous-cous to use up. It seems as inevitable as odd socks. Yay...I have quinoa...why I don't know but I have it.

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
That's a very hipsterish/middle class veg box (excuse the stereotype).
I've changed veg boxes for next week, local one wasn't actually local foods, like I hoped, thought I would be better supporting local but what's the point if it's just the same as supermarket stuff.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I have often used the Cous-Cous method when deciding to do the washing up;

Cous nothing else will fit on the sink
and
Cous I really do think I should've changed the water in the sink last week.

Priceless

Scooby
I've managed to order leeks in my shop and now I'm flicking through recipe books trying to find ways to use them only using the other ingredients I have in the house. So far it's Leeks Nicoise, or Jamie Oliver's Sweet Leek Carbonara or Greens Mac 'n' Cheese :)

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
Maybe leek soup?

TriBel

Scooby
I couldn't have a veg box if the contents were unknown. Lie...it's pointless me having a veg box period. I'm terrible at wasting food...might as well bypass the fridge and dump it straight in the bin.

I've managed to order leeks in my shop
Colour me perplexed - if I'd have known leeks were a scarcity in the NE I'd have sent you a food parcel. I'm wounded...you only had to ask. :( Is your shop the equivalent of @nightshade 's "library" - ie a phonebox? I'll admit...I was going to look at a house in West Yorkshire*...but I'm wondering about the convenience of Lidl. There's a great cosmopolitan Lidl in Piccadilly Gardens. Admittedly, you have to watch out for feral trams and treat the homeless as roundabouts but once you're inside and holstered your weapons it's great! :)

I bought some Sour Skittles...they've got fruit juice in so count towards my 7 a day.

*Actually the Calder Valley...near enough to Hebden Bridge to be hipster! I'm sure I can get sour dough.

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
7?? When did it become 7?? I was failing at 5, and now I'm expected to eat 7??

But yes, I won't do a riverford veg box as they don't take out the ones you don't want, your only option is to skip having the entire box.

TriBel
TriBel
Umm...think it went from 5 to 7 a while back. Then up to 10...then maybe down to 7. Perhaps it's down to 5 again? I dunno... there are 5 flavours in the Skittles so I could be halfway there...or I could have met my requirements!

Hunga Munga

Scooby
This time of year there isn't much cropping in the UK. They don't call it 'the hungry gap' for nothing :D. Now is the time for finishing the winter store veg , white cabbage , carrots , old potatoes ...maybe a bit of kale or purple sprouting broccoli if you're lucky .

I toyed with doing a veg box scheme , even sold a load of boxes . But once I worked out my hourly rate over a couple of seasons , I pretty much gave it up overnight . :D

An Asda driver gave me a big bag of sour Skittles recently . I've got one that pities me and gives me his returns off the van :D. My poor old teeth can't really cope with chewy sweeties no more :).

I really need a new shopping delivery coat because he must think I'm some sort of tramp living in the hedge :D . Can't wait for the shops to open so I can buy a godamn jacket .

Last edited:

TriBel

Scooby
This time of year there isn't much cropping in the UK. They don't call it 'the hungry gap' for nothing :D. Now is the time for finishing the winter store veg , white cabbage , carrots , old potatoes ...maybe a bit of kale or purple sprouting broccoli if you're lucky .
Are you self-sufficient - obviously not in jackets and skittles but in veg? I haven't had "old potatoes" for years. Even my mother doesn't say "old potatoes"...just "Jersey Royals". I thought there were only "new potatoes" and McCains [insert appropriate noun] now. I have one friend hung up on potatoes but she's Irish and believes it's her birth-rite.

Hunga Munga
Hunga Munga
They're still old potatoes this time of year , just noone says that anymore . :) I'm a greengrocer's son ;) . I stopped eating spuds for years coz the supermarkets went weird and blighty . Seem to have pulled them back now.

Hunga Munga

Scooby
I was actively seeking self sufficiency for some years ...and had a lot of fun with it . I used to do winter storage of roots and overwintering cabbage . My land grows a lovely cabbage , not so handy for the root veg but still good enough .

However after years of it , I started to see how much of my life was devoted to boring peasant work . I didn't like killing my own animals either . And it didn't pay .

These days I just 'grow for value' . I don't bother with spuds or carrots because they're always cheap (and they're quite labour intensive) . However little baby bunch carrots are never cheap or so I might sow a few for those . I love growing squash and courgettes which is handy because they're almost always a high value item . So minimal time for maximum returns . This is what I suggest to every food gardener these days . Concentrate on the produce you like that you can't really afford :) .

I actually made a lot more money out of digging other peoples gardens and working on proper farms , so in the end all that practice did generate quite a bit of revenue . Now I'm just too damn old to cope with much of any of it :p .

TriBel

Scooby
Now I'm just too damn old to cope with much of any of it
My cousin bought a 4 bedroom farmhouse with land that included a 2 bedroom cottage; a wood; a swimming pool and outbuildings in mid-Wales. She bought some sheep and retired there with her husband. I asked what she was going to do (it's miles from anywhere). She said "make jam". She's sold it and come back. It was a year long job just to look after the wood. Like Sisyphus, as soon as she'd finished she had to start again. I never saw any jam. That's the trouble - having the time and/or the money to do these things usually coincides with not having the energy to do anything.

Last edited:

Hunga Munga

Scooby
Yeah it aint for everyone . My friends are selling up now, I'm thinking about it myself . There's not much work about either . We're struggling with things like the loss of privacy and the wildlife . I really , really don't want to sell but I can't be mortgaging either ...and I definitely can't last here too many more winters. Might rent a bedsit/flat for next winter to see if I can handle the town life again . Get a little job to cover the rent , try to find that urban(ish) routine .

I'm such a dumbarse though . Spent most the afternoon looking at some cowsheds and a quarry for sale . I need a little end-of-terrace hovel with a lil garden . Thinking Swansea or thereabouts . Just somewhere I can work , access hospitals easily etc . That's something else they don't tell you about country life . Healthcare is a right bastard . :p

TriBel

Scooby
Spent most the afternoon looking at some cowsheds and a quarry for sale .
🤣

That's a sentence you don't hear everyday! 😄 I've been looking at a three-bedroomed octagonal house in the Calder Valley...and more realistically, a one bedroomed apartment in the Calder Valley (with the regular number of corners). The problem with the Calder valley is when the River Calder decides it's bored with the valley and pays you a visit.

Hunga Munga

Scooby
Yeah flooding is a real pain now . Even on the hillsides , we're having trouble with global warming . I had a shed flood twice in two years ,never flooded for a lifetime before it .

Went out yesterday to my friends and had baked local mackeral(frozen) with roast spuds and salad . Very nice .

So I'm having a late holiday meal tonight , just super fancy sausages , mash and spinach :cool: . I had them at Christmas and they were astounding , so bought a few for a Easter meal .

Top Bottom