• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

New Law & Order

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Okay, I actually might could like this:
from variety

The “Law & Order” franchise is expanding again at NBC, with the network giving out a straight-to-series order for “Law & Order: For the Defense,” Variety has learned. “For the Defense” will take a look inside a criminal defense firm. The series will put the lawyers under the microscope, along with the criminal justice system with every week delivering the promise of a contemporary morality tale.

Like all things “Law & Order,” the series hails from Dick Wolf, with “CSI” veteran Carol Mendelsohn set to serve as showrunner and executive producer. Wolf also executive produces along with Arthur Forney and Peter Jankowski of Wolf Entertainment and Julie Weitz of Carol Mendelsohn Productions.

“This new show is exciting for me personally,” Wolf said. “We spent the last 30 years on shows that played offense. Now it will be great to play defense, and being able to do it with Carol is an honor and an opportunity for both of us to do television that hasn’t been done before.”

Mendelsohn is best known for her time at the helm of “CSI” at CBS, during which time the show became a global hit. She is also the co-creator of the spinoffs “CSI: Miami,” “CSI: New York,” and “CSI: Cyber.” She is an executive producer on the limited series revival, “CSI: Vegas,” currently in the works at CBS.

“We can’t wait to bring audiences the latest chapter of ‘Law & Order,’ which will explore a different angle of the criminal justice system,” said Lisa Katz, president of scripted programming for NBCUniversal Television and Streaming. “We’re excited about Dick Wolf’s perpetually thought-provoking approach as well his collaboration with Carol Mendelsohn, who we have been eager to do a series with for a long time.”

what do you think @Taake

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
I like the idea of them doing it from the criminal defense side because, well, there is a reason why it is usually the offense. So it could be interesting... although I am not sure I want to see the defense strategies, it may just be really provoking. I don’t know, I’m of two minds.

And after the last couple of years of SVU though, I don’t have any faith in them being able to provide a compelling contemporary morality tale each week, that part mostly made me kind of nervous that it is gonna be over the top and silly.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I think the last L&O episode I saw was when Sam Waterston was a regular and even then it was "I can't take it anymore" so I have no idea how it has remained and spawned so many other shows, but this defense idea, I might have to look at. I am assuming private investigators will take the place of the police.

nightshade
nightshade
That's who I was trying to think of earlier!!

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I wasn't ever really a L & O fan, not that I disliked it, just didn't really watch it. So if the cast is good I might give it a try, otherwise I'll probably skip.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I never really got into it, just watched it if it was on rather than actually looked to watch it. And you know, unless it comes to Netflix I'm highly unlikely to actually watch this, even then it's still unlikely!

Mr Trick

Scooby
I think the appeal of Law & Order is it was a old school this show does what it says on the packet format. You could dip in and out of the series at your will. I enjoy some more than others (some partnerships better than others). If they update it then I guess it justifies their being more. The format itself could be repeated unti the end of time and people wouldn't get bored with it.

Cohen

Hellhound
So this sounds very similar to "Law & Order: Trial by Jury," from 2005, which tanked because it focused solely on the trial aspect of the show, and we already have 9584 shows about lawyers. They did expand on the defense side of the drama, which was nifty. I have the dvds of that series. I need to go back and watch them.

Kendar

Townie
A major factor for me if I watch is I want to see them defending people who are guilty as well as innocent (esp. ones the firm and its lawyers believe are guilty themselves). And not just only those who committed the crime but were insane.

Top Bottom