• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spoiler! New relationships.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm guessing that is not Tara?
In the first image, it kind of looks like Faith, but I'm assuming she's definitely not getting introduced yet (if ever) (the hugger that is)

W

WillowFromBuffy

I don't think it is Faith. She's too "pretty." She lacks the smoky eyes, the thick dark lips and the Faith-y attitude. I absolutely love the design for all these characters, though, old and new? one's alike. I am already convinced I will like this series much better than the Dark Horse one.

It certainly did not take Willow long to spark up some drama, but the thing that sticks out to me is Xander and his drooping face between Willow and Melaka (which is what I will call her for the time being). Seeing that we know Xander feels isolated from Issue 1, I think this is significant.

Making Robin Buffy's love interest feels like a really smart way to circumvent the Bangel/Spuffy drama. I wonder what they will do with him. I am not convinced that they are going for a repeat of Surprise/Innocence. I am also really curious how they are going to introduce Angel into this story.

Is it just me, or are there a lot of triangles in these panels?

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I thought the other girl (hugging) was Cordelia, it kinda looks like her in the side on view. However I'm hoping it's not I don't want a love triangle with Cordelia and Willow, we already kinda had that with Xander in season 3

W

WillowFromBuffy

I thought the other girl (hugging) was Cordelia, it kinda looks like her in the side on view. However I'm hoping it's not I don't want a love triangle with Cordelia and Willow, we already kinda had that with Xander in season 3
Ah, yes, I see it. It could be a callback to her awkward hug of Angel for saving her life. However, with Willow and Melaka dressed to impress, it looks odd to see Cordelia in such a plain white top.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
The big question is why is Xander sulking in the background. Positioned between Willow and her GF.

DagonSphere

Potential
I'm guessing that is not Tara?
According to the tweets by Boom, Willow's girlfriend is named Rose, so it's an all new character. They're really going for the goth/alternative vibe with Willow and her belle. I must say I am not sure if I like it. Giving us a confident and cool Willow right out of the bat is one thing, but can there be at least one part that rings true to original geeky Willow?

I'm fully on the Robin Wood train though. Those panels are adorable, with Buffy blushing and Wood's cute and sexy smile.

TriBel

Scooby
between Willow and Melaka (which is what I will call her for the time being).
Good call (although the side-glance reminds me of Amy). Remember we had that discussion about S12 and the possibility of them combining characteristics....?
Is it just me, or are there a lot of triangles in these panels?
No - it's not just you. I'm writing something at the moment (relating to S7) that's to do with triads (dyads and the intervention of the third term or third party) and tessellations. I kinda like this:

1550226061800.png

W

WillowFromBuffy

I wonder why Rose has two triangles on her shirt, which I guess represents unity or duality, while Xander, who is framed by the triangle of Will and Rose's arms, has a single downward pointing triangle on his shirt, which traditionally signifies femininity.

@TriBel That photo is really interesting. It does show Xander's place as somewhat marginal in the friendship triangle.

ifeveristoday
ifeveristoday
Xander considers Buffy and Willow to be his girls, but Willow will forever be his number one bestie. Buffy and Willow's relationship fluctuates through the series from being number one or two in each other's hearts.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Maybe the two tone hair is Tara since she had the blonde bits in Season 4.

W

WillowFromBuffy

I feel a bit sad, because I feel as though they are setting Rose up to fail, seeing that she inevitably is just a stepping stone to Tara (though the girl on the panels above is definitely Cordy). I fear they will make Rose's possessiveness the reason their relationship falls apart.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
I feel a bit sad, because I feel as though they are setting Rose up to fail, seeing that she inevitably is just a stepping stone to Tara (though the girl on the panels above is definitely Cordy). I fear they will make Rose's possessiveness the reason their relationship falls apart.
That does seem a bit sad, but if Willow looks at Cordy the way she seems to in that first panel when Rose side-eyes her, I can hardly blame Rose. When I first looked at this page I didn't notice the hand-holding so I thought Willow was looking at her love interest. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but she looks kind of smitten to me in that first one.

Heh, I haven't even read it yet and I'm already prepared to be Team Rose :p

W

WillowFromBuffy

That does seem a bit sad, but if Willow looks at Cordy the way she seems to in that first panel when Rose side-eyes her, I can hardly blame Rose. When I first looked at this page I didn't notice the hand-holding so I thought Willow was looking at her love interest. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but she looks kind of smitten to me in that first one.
I read it very differently. I think Willow looks bemused in the first panel, probably because Coredelia does not usually speak to her. Then her expression (and Rose's) changes to shock in the second panel, where I imagine Coredlia is thanking Willow for something, like saving her life perhaps (Rose may not be clued in on vampires, yet). I do not think Cordelia is making a move.

We must assume that Cordelia is not quite as blind as you and that she does notice the interlocked hands :p
Heh, I haven't even read it yet and I'm already prepared to be Team Rose :p
I fear you may be setting yourself up for disappointment, but I'll stand with you. I really hope Rose gets her due and that she isn't just a stepping stone or a "lesson" for Willow.

Taake
Taake
Cordelia, and your average house cat, is more perceptive than me so you're right, she's probably not making a move, lol.
W

WillowFromBuffy

I think the Scoobies saved Cordy, and Xander wishes Cordy would thank him.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The big question is why is Xander sulking in the background. Positioned between Willow and her GF.
Maybe Xander is the one who yearns after Willow like Willow yearned after him in the television series.

Spanky
Spanky
That is what I was thinking... but then I had another think that is a good think but improbable I think.
brinkster130
brinkster130
that could be it.

ifeveristoday

Townie
I needed an extra panel to confirm that it was Cordelia and I was surprised by the ombre hair, but then I remembered her chunky highlights + bangs flirtations in the show and it all made perfect sense. Overall I think Dan Mora has done a great job capturing the likenesses of the core cast but he does sometimes slip up on profile shots and similar hair colors don't help - in the first issue, I thought Anya was Buffy at a glance. I briefly wondered if Cordelia was Amy because of the hair, but again - extra panel front face shot and those are definitely Cordelia's cheekbones.
Rose is fine, have no judgment on her either than she does look like she's cosplaying Fray. Can't wait to read the second issue.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
I like DeadlyDuo's guess that its Xander who has the unnoticed crush on Willow. Maybe Willows sexuality will be more fluid in the comics. Or what if Xander is jealous of Willows confidence and her openness with Rose? If it was him narrating he says something along the line of maybe I could be happy if I'm around the right people - perhaps he thinks openly gay Willow and superhero Buffy will accept him being gay? Or does he already have a secret romance going on with Cordelia and he's worried she will let the secret slip?

Primal Slayer

Did I Fall Asleep?
I'm going to guess that they switched Xander/Willows personalities wherein Xander was more outgoing in the original while Willow was more timid and shy, now we get a role reversal.

I think they were trying to go for umbre hair for Cordelia? But it just doesnt look good at all.

So my prediction that Buffy and Robin get together and then Robin gets vamped and becomes Angelus is still on.
If they did that, I'd probably just quit it all together but I dont see them killing off their primary black character and making him into a villain.

AshSlays

WOW, Sarcasm, that's original!
The cursed area of tons of sweet tea (Arkansas)
Black Thorn
I dont see them killing off their primary black character and making him into a villain.
I'd have to agree with you, as much as I hate the notion of a character being there just to fill someone's black quota. For example, Johnny Storm in the newest FF remake. There was no point making him black, period.

I don't know how I feel about the new romances, but I'm still not sure how comfortable I am with them changing everything in the new comics. Dunno my feelings, so I'll hold off for a little while.

Top Bottom