• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Nicholas Brendon Reveals He Relapsed: ‘I’ve Unfortunately Stumbled’ in My Sobriety

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
By Brody Brown, Megan French

Owning up. Nicholas Brendon reveals exclusively to Us Weeklythat he recently relapsed with alcohol. The Buffy the Vampire Slayer alum, who has struggled with sobriety for years, was spotted drinking at a Comic-Con convention in Des Moines, Iowa, in May.

"Recently, some people have gone to the media saying they saw me drinking at a convention. This is completely true,” Brendon, 45, tells Us in a statement. "I was feeling down, went to the hotel bar and ordered a few beers. I’m in the public eye, but I’m just like any person working the program."

"It’s minute by minute, day by day, and I’ve unfortunately stumbled,” he continued. "I’m very happy to say that nothing like the events of last year have occurred, and I am committed to making sure that they never do again.”

The Criminal Minds actor was arrested several times in 2015. In September, he allegedly got into a domestic dispute with his girlfriend at a hotel in Saratoga Springs, New York, and was charged with third-degree robbery, which is a felony, along with two counts of criminal mischief and one count of obstruction of breathing. He was also arrested once for public intoxication and twice for trashing hotel rooms while under the influence. In August, Brendon had a disastrous appearance on Dr. Phil and walked off the set mid-taping because he felt the psychologist “went for the jugular."

Now Brendon says he’s on a better path and is continuing to seek help for his addictions. The comic book writer spent 90 days at a rehab treatment center late last year and was doing much better until his relapse.

"After I returned [from Iowa], I and those helping me deal with my addictions and depression took steps to help me maintain my sobriety. At this time, I’m focusing on the positives and each new day that I can face without a drink is a plus for me,” he said. "For my loved ones and fans, I’m sorry if I’ve let you down, but all any of us can do is try. I am.”

Source: Us Weekly

Poor Nick :(

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm not surprised sadly, he really needed to stay off the con circuit for a while.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Agreed. He needs some time away from any sort of spotlight to rebuild his life from the ground up. It'll be hard but better for him long term.

Priceless

Scooby
Agreed. He needs long term rehab, to help himget out of hisold life/routines that involve alchol and to keep away from people that enable him. Very sad.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
I agree that walking away from the con scene for a while is probably the best thing for his health, but at the same time, he might think he has no other choice. We don't know what else is going on with his life, but cons might, at this point, be his only form of income. If he has no other way of earning other than attending cons, then walking away from that is going to be scary and make him panic, which will make his recovery even harder if he's worrying about simply getting by.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
Dude could benefit from not talking to the media, too. I'm sure he thinks any press is good press but at this point all he's know for is being washed-up con circuit former actor who can't control himself and has serious substance abuse problems.

Therapy could really help him.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
I feel for the guy. At least he owned up and has admitted he still has problems he needs to deal with, but as @Lyri said, it's possible cons are his only form of income right now.

It's hard to suggest what could be best in that situation. His health is more important, but without money to fund treatment how will he even attempt to get well? It's a terrible catch-22 situation. :(

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
It happens, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. I think therapy would be great for him, as it sounds like Nick seems to reach for alcohol to numb his pain and feelings - if he can tackle those issues while he's sober and find a way to deal with them daily, then not only will he be less likely to relapse, but he'll be happier mentally (hopefully).

He does sound depressed and possibly lonely and I can see that attending cons may be a big positive in his life. Here's hoping he can find that healthy balance.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Well at first when he started smashing things and getting drunk on con circuits I thought he was just a bit of a loser, loose cannon, typical washed up alco actor. Now I feel sorry for him.

The system has him. And if he leaves it the fans will blame him. But rehab and the like are not always the answer for addiction - and in some cases make it far worse or just get you addicted to "approved" drugs. I could go on about these places and the HARM they do but this is nickys thread and I wish him well. That path works for some but I really hope he is not another that ends up dead from treatment.

I stopped following him on social media. His posts were sad and his followers sadder. So many telling their stories - and most, self confessed, on psychiatric drugs, some even suggesting brands of psychiatric drugs - that, in fact, make alcohol cravings WORSE. The support he is getting from these people is not going to help him, nor anyone else that is struggling. I sincerely hope I never see the #kickdepressionintheballsack again.

Surely he could make money elsewhere or his family might help him out a bit?

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
I feel a bit bad for him, partly because he clearly needs help which he is not receiving.

Honestly, if he doesn't get long term (as in more than 2 months) treatment soon, he might not make it to 2017... :(

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
He fell off the wagon. It's not a big deal. It's not like his previous episodes where he went manic. Everyone falls off the wagon, they just climb back on and wait until they fall off again. It's not the end of the world for him.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Yeah @Mr Pole they fall off and get back on the wagon and then fall off - over and over until they die. Yet they are blamed for rehab that DOES NOT WORK!

What upsets me most about that is - the patient is struggling and suffering trying to "be good" and do right. When many issues are related to medication they give you IN REHAB! And once you are on those meds... well good luck having a normal life for a few years til your brain grows back. They turf ya out and when you fail they welcome you back (as long as you have the money!) This is only what I have observed in rehabs and clinics in Australia and online forums for the US.

- I really hope he can get to a place that handles this without AA and without SSRI medication. The stats about how well that works is totally rigged, set up for failure and lucrative for the doctors.

Last edited:
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Excellent, excellent post! I completely agree with every word.

Mr Trick

Scooby
It will take him awhile and its very much a case of one step at a time. That he only had one or two drinks actually can be seen as progress. He's being honest with himself which is important.

cryptwarmer

I'm in charge of morale!
Black Thorn
It will take him awhile and its very much a case of one step at a time. That he only had one or two drinks actually can be seen as progress. He's being honest with himself which is important.

I really feel for him, but damn, the biggest "honest" I needed to get was "I can't do this again, ever...not even a little bit". I hope he can get there.

I don't want to be a person who can't handle a drink or two. But it's SO much better than being the village idiot. Even knowing that I have days when I'm feeling pretty good about myself and think...hey! I've been doing great, surely having just one little drink won't be a problem.

After trying that experiment out a time or two, I finally said. "I can't do this again....ever...not even a little bit."

And there are still days I feel stupid for not being able to handle my drink "Like a man"!

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn

That's like quitting smoking and only having one or two cigarettes though.... yes it's technically progress, if you compare it to previous habits, but to stay sober he needs to keep sober and not think that having one or two is ok.... because that leads you down a dangerous path. One or two becomes three or four, which becomes five or six....

But you're right, the fact he can be honest about it, to himself and his fans, is good and he should remain honest and not be ashamed. Sobriety is a long and bumpy road.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
to stay sober he needs to keep sober and not think that having one or two is ok....
To expound on that, not thinking 'it's only for one night' or 'one occasion' as well. That is what always got me into trouble. It's just this, or it's just that. And then that wasn't the end of the world so it makes it ok to try a 'just this' or a 'just that' again.

Top Bottom