• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Nicholas Brendon Trial Starts Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Definitely. There is a segment of the fandom, and con organizers, who don’t care. He was in my city recently for some small new con. I sent a message to the con organizers, letting them know about this arrests, allegations, and reputations at cons. I also let them know that I admin a large local Facebook group of women who are interested in pop culture conventions and I could never recommend an event where he is a guest. They refused to even engage with me. No reply to my message or email. They deleted my comments on their Facebook page. His PR person has a history of silencing women who speak out.
And that why things like this should be put out there since if we dont there a double standard going on .

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
Going to a karaoke session that Nick is attending sounds like the last thing I'd ever want to do as a fan of the show, regardless of what he's been accused of. His tours come across as desperation to hang on to relevancy and I'd never want to partake in that kind of thing. I find it very sad. There will always be a toxic element of fandom who do not care what the actors do and will support all of them no matter what. I'd find going to any event with a bunch of Buffy fans who'd pay to see him as a toxic group anyway. I mean, BB isn't breaking news here, I'd imagine a lot of people outside this forum know about the trial but want to meet Xander anyway. People still respect Woody Allen and Roman Polanski - I've seen it on this forum, even with the knowledge of the infamous accusations.

So yeah, this doesn't affect whether I'd go see him or not, because I never would in the first place. Because going on tours where fans pay to see you, you using your past fame and a character people enjoyed, is not how you get over your mental issues. He should have sought help.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Satanic Panda
Black Thorn
Definitely. There is a segment of the fandom, and con organizers, who don’t care. He was in my city recently for some small new con. I sent a message to the con organizers, letting them know about this arrests, allegations, and reputations at cons. I also let them know that I admin a large local Facebook group of women who are interested in pop culture conventions and I could never recommend an event where he is a guest. They refused to even engage with me. No reply to my message or email. They deleted my comments on their Facebook page. His PR person has a history of silencing women who speak out.
But gee, don't you feel better that you at least warned them about the "dangerous" ex-TV star? 🙄

I really don't think Nick's domestic situation is anyone's business. Its between him, his partner, and the courts.

vampmogs

Potential
But gee, don't you feel better that you at least warned them about the "dangerous" ex-TV star? 🙄
Why are you saying "dangerous" as if the idea is ridiculous? He's tore hair out of a woman's skull, slapped her, choked her, battered her around their apartment, has violently smashed furniture and ruined hotel rooms, has resisted arrest and had to be tasered, and has slashed his own wrists. It's pretty clear to me that he's highly unstable, extremely bad tempered, is more than capable of being violent to both himself and others, and that these violent outbursts have happened frequently. He's been banned from at least one major con for this exact behaviour. Was that con being ridiculous for banning him?

What else does a person need to do before it's fair to call them dangerous?

Nick has continuously courted the attention of fandom and therefore does not get to dictate what fans can/cannot be interested in or comment on. It'd be one thing if he was a notoriously private person who had drawn a firm line in the sand when it came to how he interacted with fans (like SMG) but Nick chooses to "hang out with fans" and appears to rely on fans for monetary and personal gratification. Furthermore, some of his bad behaviour has taken place actually at fan conventions so his actions certainly are fair game to be discussed on a fandom message board.

Even then, I don't believe we should ever shy away from discussing domestic violence or violence against women because that's dangerous and unhelpful. Nick has attacked his (ex?) partner both publicly (the incident at the hotel when he was slapping her and pulling her by her hair in the hotel bar) and privately (throwing her around and choking her in his apartment) and that's terrible and NOT ok. It's absolutely in the public interest to know this and especially if Nick is continuing to interact with fans, and specifically female fans, in a private setting.

Personally, I'm interested in hearing how this plays out. I'm willing to admit that a large part of that is simply me being nosy, and I see nothing wrong with that, because this is a damn sight more interesting than endless posts about "what actors said at fan conventions" which is just the same boring anecdotes and comments repeated over and over again for the last 10-20 years (I can't for the life of me understand why fans still attend those things). But I also don't see why Nick's bad behaviour and violence against women should be hidden away for, I can only assume, is his benefit, which he doesn't deserve at this point. I have sympathy for him to a degree because of everything he's been through but not at the point that it overrides my sympathy for his victims.

Also, I don't know about the US, but in Australia the public can attend any criminal or civil trial they like (barring of course if the courtroom can't fit them in) because they absolutely ARE a citizen's business. From everything I have seen of the US court system this appears to be the case in the US too.

Last edited:

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Satanic Panda
Black Thorn
Why are you saying "dangerous" as if the idea is ridiculous? He's tore hair out of a woman's skull, slapped her, choked her, battered her around their apartment, has violently smashed furniture and ruined hotel rooms, has resisted arrest and had to be tasered, and has slashed his own wrists. It's pretty clear to me that he's highly unstable, extremely bad tempered, is more than capable of being violent to both himself and others, and that these violent outbursts have happened frequently. He's been banned from at least one major con for this exact behaviour. Was that con being ridiculous for banning him?

What else does a person need to do before it's fair to call them dangerous?

Nick has continuously courted the attention of fandom and therefore does not get to dictate what fans can/cannot be interested in or comment on. It'd be one thing if he was a notoriously private person who had drawn a firm line in the sand when it came to how he interacted with fans (like SMG) but Nick chooses to "hang out with fans" and appears to rely on fans for monetary and personal gratification. Furthermore, some of his bad behaviour has taken place actually at fan conventions so his actions certainly are fair game to be discussed on a fandom message board.

Even then, I don't believe we should ever shy away from discussing domestic violence or violence against women because that's dangerous and unhelpful. Nick has attacked his (ex?) partner both publicly (the incident at the hotel when he was slapping her and pulling her by her hair in the hotel bar) and privately (throwing her around and choking her in his apartment) and that's terrible and NOT ok. It's absolutely in the public interest to know this and especially if Nick is continuing to interact with fans, and specifically female fans, in a private setting.

Personally, I'm interested in hearing how this plays out. I'm willing to admit that a large part of that is simply me being nosy, and I see nothing wrong with that, because this is a damn sight more interesting than endless posts about "what actors said at fan conventions" which is just the same boring anecdotes and comments repeated over and over again for the last 10-20 years (I can't for the life of me understand why fans still attend those things). But I also don't see why Nick's bad behaviour and violence against women should be hidden away for, I can only assume, is his benefit, which he doesn't deserve at this point. I have sympathy for him to a degree because of everything he's been through but not at the point that it overrides my sympathy for his victims.

Also, I don't know about the US, but in Australia the public can attend any criminal or civil trial they like (barring of course if the courtroom can't fit them in) because they absolutely ARE a citizen's business. From everything I have seen of the US court system this appears to be the case in the US too.
And again I say, if Nick committed domestic abuse against his woman, what has that got to do with "fans" who don't even know him? 😂 He portrayed a character in a TV show...and the only obligation an actor has to his public is to give a good performance.

He's not a role model, nor the Pope. His private life really has nothing to do with people he doesn't even know. And I do NOT understand why some people do their best to interfere in his private affairs. Sure, he trashed some hotel rooms and abused his partner. No, that's not ideal behaviour. But it really has nothing to do with you personally, does it? Tell me, how does stalking his PR person and spamming his Facebook make the situation better? People who take it upon themselves to flood social media with shrill protests about how terrible he is are no better than peasants throwing fruit at an already codemned man.

If you don't like his behaviour, don't go to his cons. Oh wait, I nearly forgot! That's not enough, right? He must be banned and kept from earning a living. Silly me, how did I miss that?! Because kicking someone who's already down is the mark of a good citizen, right? That's the great thing about living in this era. People without a law degree (or any education, for that matter) can just hop on social media and be judge and jury.

Last edited:

GreyWalker1958

Potential
Hoo boy, between these last two pages and the Samuel Benta thread over on a Power Ranger fan forum, these last 24 hrs are nuts

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
If you don't like his behaviour, don't go to his cons.
But then one could also say, if you’re not interested in this thread, why go into it and act as moral judge and jury over those who are and throw tomatoes at them?

Warnings cons seems excessive as they must already have taken and informed stand on Nick by hiring him. I’m not a fan of cancel culture, I think it is very damaging. But the overall high horses in this thread are quite something, mostly directly insulting other members and their intentions.

Everyone please take a moment and remember that these are people behind the usernames, good intentioned like anyone else, even if your standards part on this issue.
And if you wish to condemn their outrage over Nick, maybe first reflect over your own and what you’re getting out of it when you condemn them.

No one is a moral saint here and I feel like the OP’s thread is bring taken over by those supposedly not interested in its existence. And there hasn’t even been an update or discussion about the thread topic yet, so you are literally just arguing against the concept of the thread or assumptions of what it’ll be.

vampmogs

Potential
And again I say, if Nick committed domestic abuse against his woman, what has that got to do with "fans" who don't even know him? 😂 He portrayed a character in a TV show...and the only obligation an actor has to his public is to give a good performance.
Believe it or not, a lot of people are strongly opposed to domestic violence and violence against women and it doesn't matter who the perpetrator is. It's something they're going to be upset about, comment on, and discuss, because they're ethically opposed to it. I'd also be interested to hear your reasoning for why domestic violence and violence against women should be a conversation that we stifle and keep private? Isn't it more helpful to discuss these things outwardly and openly?

He's not a role model, nor the Pope. His private life really has nothing to do with people he doesn't even know.
He went on national daytime television to talk about his "private life" (amongst other platforms as well) so I find it somewhat humorous that you believe this is a "private" matter that nobody should be discussing and/or interested in.

And I do NOT understand why some people do their best to interfere in his private affairs. Sure, he trashed some hotel rooms and abused his partner. No, that's not ideal behaviour. But it really has nothing to do with you personally, does it?
Does it need to have something to do with me personally? Does it surprise you that people watch the news everyday and have opinions on people who have committed crimes even if they don't know them personally?

If you don't like his behaviour, don't go to his cons. Oh wait, I nearly forgot! That's not enough, right? He must be banned and kept from earning a living. Silly me, how did I miss that?!
Why do I get the sense that you're angrier at people who are upset by Nick beating on "his woman" then you are at the fact that he, ya know, beats on women? Strange priorities you have there...

Also, last time I checked, going to cons wasn't the only way to "earn a living." In fact, I'd imagine it would do Nick a world of good to secure a steady regular job without a bunch of sycophants excusing and/or dismissing his behaviour or attacking other fans who are upset by it. The endless con cycles certainly haven't done him any favours now, have they? Furthermore, fans who wish to attend these cons are paying customers. Just as customers have every right to voice their opinion if a certain brand has a public figure/ambassador endorse them that customers may find in poor taste, fans have every right to be vocal at cons who hire people who have repeatedly beat women. You're absolutely right that they can simply not attend the con but they can also explain to the con that they're unwilling to attend even if they may otherwise want to as long as they continue to book people who are guilty of these crimes. The con can choose to ignore it but at least in doing so they've given the con an opportunity to amend their practices and keep their customers instead of their customers simply not attending without ever expressing why.

Last edited:

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
Why do I get the sense that you're angrier at people who are upset by Nick beating on "his woman" then you are at the fact that he, ya know, beats on women? Strange priorities you have there...
Let’s not make assumptions about other members, please. Two wrongs do not make a right. Being against what one perceives as voyeurism doesn’t mean one condones or doesn’t care about the crime that has been committed.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
I'd like to see much more movement towards innocent and anonymous until proven guilty. Appreciate it won't always be possible but the no smoke without fire nature of people mean lots of innocent lives are ruined. So no I wouldn't be interested in a blow by blow account personally.

If he's found guilty then he'll have to serve his sentence etc and then hopefully put some of his problems behind him. I have a personal dislike of people dictating what jobs others can do after they've transgressed. That's not how any justice system is supposed to work.

Btvs fan

Scooby
I'd like to see much more movement towards innocent and anonymous until proven guilty. Appreciate it won't always be possible but the no smoke without fire nature of people mean lots of innocent lives are ruined. So no I wouldn't be interested in a blow by blow account personally.

If he's found guilty then he'll have to serve his sentence etc and then hopefully put some of his problems behind him. I have a personal dislike of people dictating what jobs others can do after they've transgressed. That's not how any justice system is supposed to work.
I wouldn't worry to much. What's said on this forum yay or nay is going to have 0 effect on either the trial or Nicholas Schultz and how chooses to treat people around him.

Last edited:

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Satanic Panda
Black Thorn
I'd like to see much more movement towards innocent and anonymous until proven guilty.

I have a personal dislike of people dictating what jobs others can do after they've transgressed. That's not how any justice system is supposed to work.
This is exactly how I feel, exactly. And I now that I've read it, I understand why I flared up earlier.

Since the advent of the #MeToo movement, I've noticed there has been a rush to condemn nearly every male who has been accused of "unacceptable" behaviour towards women. Whether it's been proven or not doesn't matter. And that is incredibly wrong, on all levels. "We won't wait for the courts to decide, we'll punish him ourselves!" Gah.

But then one could also say, if you’re not interested in this thread, why go into it and act as moral judge and jury over those who are and throw tomatoes at them?
I never said I wasn't interested in this thread. :p

Last edited:

vampmogs

Potential
I'd like to see much more movement towards innocent and anonymous until proven guilty.
There was never any doubt that he attacked her. A hotel employee saw Nick attack his girlfriend twice and hotel surveillance footage confirmed this at the time. In the previous incident, police saw bruises, bite marks and strangulation marks on the victim's body.

I hope not to take anything away from @Kayrcee but it's just been announced that Nick has been sentenced to 3 years probation after entering a plea deal for attacking his girlfriend. I'll let @Kayrcee post the full details but I did want to post the victim's statement;

"When somebody holds a knife to your throat, it changes you as a person, and it changes you forever" she said. "I can never erase the pictures in my mind of being strangled and thrown across the room, or being covered in bruises, bite marks and scratches, all because I tried to care for someone."

Last edited:
VisionGirl
VisionGirl
Reading her testimony is so incredibly sad and disheartening. It’s apparent that this wasn’t a one-time incident.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
INDIO (CBSLA) — Actor Nicholas Brendon struck a plea deal with prosecutors Friday, staving off a possible four-year jail sentence.

In exchange for pleading guilty to attacking his girlfriend nearly three years ago at a Palm Springs hotel, Brendon — best known for the role of Xander Harris on television series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” — will serve three years of probation and must complete a 52-week domestic violence course and 20 hours of community service.

Brendon’s original felony charge of inflicting corporal injury on a spouse was reduced to misdemeanor domestic battery.

The 48-year-old actor, who has spoken publicly about his battles with depression, alcoholism and substance abuse, was accused of grabbing and “violently” pulling his girlfriend by the hair at the bar inside the Saguaro Hotel in downtown Palm Springs on Oct. 11, 2017.

After Brendon entered his guilty plea, the victim recounted a relationship allegedly riddled with physical and emotional abuse.

“When somebody holds a knife to your throat, it changes you as a person, and it changes you forever” she said. “I can never erase the pictures in my mind of being strangled and thrown across the room, or being covered in bruises, bite marks and scratches, all because I tried to care for someone.”

Brendon is also barred from coming into contact with the victim for the next three years.

As to why I would contact a convention in my city? Because I felt they had a right to know. And no- not everyone knows about this.

He's not a role model, nor the Pope. His private life really has nothing to do with people he doesn't even know. And I do NOT understand why some people do their best to interfere in his private affairs. Sure, he trashed some hotel rooms and abused his partner. No, that's not ideal behaviour. But it really has nothing to do with you personally, does it? Tell me, how does stalking his PR person and spamming his Facebook make the situation better? People who take it upon themselves to flood social media with shrill protests about how terrible he is are no better than peasants throwing fruit at an already codemned man.

If you don't like his behaviour, don't go to his cons. Oh wait, I nearly forgot! That's not enough, right? He must be banned and kept from earning a living. Silly me, how did I miss that?! Because kicking someone who's already down is the mark of a good citizen, right? That's the great thing about living in this era. People without a law degree (or any education, for that matter) can just hop on social media and be judge and jury.
People- any person, not just a C-list celebrity actor- have an obligation to live within the law and treat everyone decently.

Domestic abuse is a CRIME, not just a personal private matter. He made the decision to take his private affairs public when he engaged in violence, especially in public, multiple times.

“Peasants throwing fruit at a condemned man”- lol am I supposed to feel sorry for him?? I do not, not in the least. Not one tiny bit. He has dug this hole for himself.

Kept from earning a living, oh FFS. You do realize that fans giving him money for his autograph or get a picture with him or watching him singing karaoke while he’s high as a kite contributed toward his defense attorney for his domestic violence trial?? I hope everyone is super proud of themselves for that.

Yeah I’m incredibly frustrated that another perpetrator has received a slap on the wrist again.

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
Kept from earning a living, oh FFS. You do realize that fans giving him money for his autograph or get a picture with him or watching him singing karaoke while he’s high as a kite contributed toward his defense attorney for his domestic violence trial?? I hope everyone is super proud of themselves for that.

Yeah I’m incredibly frustrated that another perpetrator has received a slap on the wrist again.
I understand that you’re frustrated, but please don’t take it out on others or try to blame them for contributing to Nick’s defense as If this makes them complicit.

Also Everyone has the right to a defense attorney. Everyone.

Your outrage seems targeted at ”predators” in general and may be clouding your judgement about why people don’t see eye to eye with you on this.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Satanic Panda
Black Thorn
INDIO (CBSLA) — Actor Nicholas Brendon struck a plea deal with prosecutors Friday, staving off a possible four-year jail sentence.

In exchange for pleading guilty to attacking his girlfriend nearly three years ago at a Palm Springs hotel, Brendon — best known for the role of Xander Harris on television series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” — will serve three years of probation and must complete a 52-week domestic violence course and 20 hours of community service.

Brendon’s original felony charge of inflicting corporal injury on a spouse was reduced to misdemeanor domestic battery.

The 48-year-old actor, who has spoken publicly about his battles with depression, alcoholism and substance abuse, was accused of grabbing and “violently” pulling his girlfriend by the hair at the bar inside the Saguaro Hotel in downtown Palm Springs on Oct. 11, 2017.

After Brendon entered his guilty plea, the victim recounted a relationship allegedly riddled with physical and emotional abuse.

“When somebody holds a knife to your throat, it changes you as a person, and it changes you forever” she said. “I can never erase the pictures in my mind of being strangled and thrown across the room, or being covered in bruises, bite marks and scratches, all because I tried to care for someone.”

Brendon is also barred from coming into contact with the victim for the next three years.

As to why I would contact a convention in my city? Because I felt they had a right to know. And no- not everyone knows about this.

People- any person, not just a C-list celebrity actor- have an obligation to live within the law and treat everyone decently.

Domestic abuse is a CRIME, not just a personal private matter. He made the decision to take his private affairs public when he engaged in violence, especially in public, multiple times.

“Peasants throwing fruit at a condemned man”- lol am I supposed to feel sorry for him?? I do not, not in the least. Not one tiny bit. He has dug this hole for himself.

Sorry, I dozed off. You were saying...?

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
Spanky
Spanky
I am laughing WAY TOO HARD over this post... just that face. Okay, now that will forever be the Taake disapproval face. I shall haunt my dreams.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I understand that you’re frustrated, but please don’t take it out on others or try to blame them for contributing to Nick’s defense as If this makes them complicit.

Also Everyone has the right to a defense attorney. Everyone.

Your outrage seems targeted at ”predators” in general and may be clouding your judgement about why people don’t see eye to eye with you on this.
Sure everyone has the right to a defense attorney, of course. But people can connect their monetary contributions to him with his hiring of a pricey attorney that got him a lesser conviction on a DV charge.

And I was defending myself against a rather long comment that was targeted toward me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom