• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Nicholas Brendon Trial Starts Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
Sure everyone has the right to a defense attorney, of course. But people can connect their monetary contributions to him with his hiring of a pricey attorney that got him a lesser conviction on a DV charge.

And I was defending myself against a rather long comment that was targeted toward me.
And I had already adressed that post. you don’t have to get into the mud because someone else was flinging it on you. As I already stated in this thread - two wrongs do not make a right.

A lesser attorney might’ve had the same result, did you not just say another predator gets away with a slap on the wrist? We will never know what could’ve happened with a less expensive attorney, lets not pretend that we do.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think it's a reasonably fair sentence. The domestic violence course must be pretty extensive since he has to take it for a whole year.

NB seems to have stayed out of trouble with the law since that incident and tried to get his life back on track so it would be unfair to kick him back down to the gutter over a previous incident where further action wasn't deemed necessary than what was done at the time. Cons are a major source of income for him, and Buffy was basically the peak of his career, so it would be unfair for that source of income to be taken away, especially as employers tend to be wary about hiring people with criminal records. People obviously still have an interest in seeing NB which makes him a profitable (but cheap) guest for cons to hire so I think it would be unfair on the people who want to see him to be denied that because certain factions are "outraged".

NB's actions were bad and he has to learn from them and not repeat them in the future, however I don't think they should be a constant noose around his neck for the rest of his life.

Btvs fan

Scooby
I think it's a reasonably fair sentence. The domestic violence course must be pretty extensive since he has to take it for a whole year.

NB seems to have stayed out of trouble with the law since that incident and tried to get his life back on track so it would be unfair to kick him back down to the gutter over a previous incident where further action wasn't deemed necessary than what was done at the time. Cons are a major source of income for him, and Buffy was basically the peak of his career, so it would be unfair for that source of income to be taken away, especially as employers tend to be wary about hiring people with criminal records. People obviously still have an interest in seeing NB which makes him a profitable (but cheap) guest for cons to hire so I think it would be unfair on the people who want to see him to be denied that because certain factions are "outraged".

NB's actions were bad and he has to learn from them and not repeat them in the future, however I don't think they should be a constant noose around his neck for the rest of his life.
This pre-supposes he feels remorse and wants to learn rather than this deal simply being a way to avoid jail time. 3 years or 13 years it shouldn't matter. He tried to strangle a woman and threatened to knife her. This would've all ended sooner if he had done this deal right at the start rather than plead not guilty and put his victim through the stress of a trial.
If he wasn't famous as that guy from Buffy he would've done jail time imo

vampmogs

Potential
Your outrage seems targeted at ”predators” in general and may be clouding your judgement about why people don’t see eye to eye with you on this.
Sorry, but what do you mean by this? Why would/should @VisionGirl treat Nick Brendon any different than any other woman beater? I'm not being snarky I just am struggling to understand what you mean here?

3 years or 13 years it shouldn't matter. He tried to strangle a woman and threatened to knife her. This would've all ended sooner if he had done this deal right at the start rather than plead not guilty and put his victim through the stress of a trial.
I totally agree. If Nick truly felt remorse than he'd have owned up to his mistakes long before now.

It reminds me of the video he posted after the first time he attacked her (the knife incident). It pretty much consisted of him of thanking his "lovelies" for their support and how great it was that he was going back into rehab to deal with his depression after "taking care of some things first" and that he can't wait to fight it etc. No mention whatsoever of the fact that he'd just beat his wife, no apology to her for the pain and suffering he'd inflicted, and a picture of him grinning from ear to ear as if everything is ok. He's very selective in how he chooses to present himself and how "honest" he supposedly is with his fans.

Real honesty and remorse would be admitting all of his faults and how his alcoholism and depression has led to him abusing others. Instead, he only ever frames it publicly as all the ways it's making him suffer.

I don't buy his "remorse" or his desire to really change. I mean, I don't agree with the whole Dr Phil stint and I thought it's gross that "Dr" Phil capitalises on people suffering for his own monetary gain, but the moment Dr Phil questioned NB about his drinking NB felt sorry for himself and stated that "he was going for the jugular" and stormed off set in a huff. He'd expected the show to be one long Nick Pity Party and not one where he'd been called out on his own sh*t.

I think the sentencing is a joke. In America 4 women are killed by their partner every single day. These bullsh*t lenient sentences are a big reason why. NB has repeatedly abused this woman and absolutely should have served jail time, IMO. I don't know how you get to put a knife to someone's throat (amongst other things) and get off on probation. How ridiculous.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
He’s an actor. He knows exactly how to act in various situations. Besides that, experts in intimate partner violence tell us that abusers can be very charming when they want to be, and very manipulative. He turns on the charm for his fans. So when people say “I went to his event and he was nothing but sweet and kind to me!”, it means absolutely nothing in regards to his capability of violence to someone else.

As far as remorse, from what I heard, he has shown none. Not yesterday. Not ever.

Black Thorn
It's really hilarious how, even thought Nick has been sentenced, we'll always have certain factions who'll continue to gripe about it.

If he'd been executed, they'd probably whinge about how he didn't suffer enough. That's soooo adorable. 🙄

(Then again, I didn't create two accounts to back my own arguments up)

Hunga Munga

Potential
We just had this scene in the UK recently where a TV presenter had a bit of success , struggled with their mental illness , ended up charged with assault of a partner . The resulting media and social media pressure was too much for them and they ended up killing themselves . Poor girl was only 40 .Caroline Flack - Wikipedia

There aren't that many paralells between Nicholas Brendon and Caroline Flack ...but it seems obvious to me that voyeuristic media scrutiny can quickly become toxic and intrusive .

Last edited:

Kayrcee

Townie
We just had this scene in the UK recently where a TV presenter had a bit of success , struggled with their mental illness , ended up charged with assault of a partner . The resulting media and social media pressure was too much for them and they ended up killing themselves . Poor girl was only 40 .Caroline Flack - Wikipedia

There aren't that many paralells between Nicholas Brendon and Caroline Flack ...but it seems obvious to me that voyeuristic media scrutiny can quickly become toxic and intrusive .
It would be different if he was trying to turn his life around but he isn't.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
There aren't that many paralells between Nicholas Brendon and Caroline Flack
There sure ain't.

Caroline's boyfriend did not get hurt. He did not support the persecution. And unlike Caroline, Nick has not been put in a pillory and has been allowed to keep on trucking. After he has spent a week blowing leaves or whatever, he'll be back to reading fanfic and singing songs with the fans.

Kayrcee

Townie
It's really hilarious how, even thought Nick has been sentenced, we'll always have certain factions who'll continue to gripe about it.

If he'd been executed, they'd probably whinge about how he didn't suffer enough. That's soooo adorable. 🙄

(Then again, I didn't create two accounts to back my own arguments up)
Who did?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I'll be sure to let the victim know you are glad. Which by the way he showed zero remorse. Smiled during her statement.
You go right ahead. She was a willing participate in the situation.

Kayrcee

Townie
This pre-supposes he feels remorse and wants to learn rather than this deal simply being a way to avoid jail time. 3 years or 13 years it shouldn't matter. He tried to strangle a woman and threatened to knife her. This would've all ended sooner if he had done this deal right at the start rather than plead not guilty and put his victim through the stress of a trial.
If he wasn't famous as that guy from Buffy he would've done jail time imo
He showed zero remorse. Zero.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
A. Willing. Participant.

I really just read those words. I’m absolutely sure we don’t need to drag out the numerous articles details his prior arrests and incidents, do we? Perhaps I should post a link from a year ago in Portland that gives the background why he was banned from all Wizard World events (violence against his girlfriend plus harassing a fan). I will never comprehend how some people continue to defend poor, poor Nicholas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom