• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Nicholas Brendon Trial Starts Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayrcee

Townie
I think it's a reasonably fair sentence. The domestic violence course must be pretty extensive since he has to take it for a whole year.

NB seems to have stayed out of trouble with the law since that incident and tried to get his life back on track so it would be unfair to kick him back down to the gutter over a previous incident where further action wasn't deemed necessary than what was done at the time. Cons are a major source of income for him, and Buffy was basically the peak of his career, so it would be unfair for that source of income to be taken away, especially as employers tend to be wary about hiring people with criminal records. People obviously still have an interest in seeing NB which makes him a profitable (but cheap) guest for cons to hire so I think it would be unfair on the people who want to see him to be denied that because certain factions are "outraged".

NB's actions were bad and he has to learn from them and not repeat them in the future, however I don't think they should be a constant noose around his neck for the rest of his life.
Maybe he should try not getting banned from every con. If you saw him you would realize these things are killing him.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
It's really hilarious how, even thought Nick has been sentenced, we'll always have certain factions who'll continue to gripe about it.

If he'd been executed, they'd probably whinge about how he didn't suffer enough. That's soooo adorable. 🙄

(Then again, I didn't create two accounts to back my own arguments up)
Who made two accounts? What are you even talking about? You’re acting like you’re being super cute here but you’re making really serious accusations.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
There sure ain't.

Caroline's boyfriend did not get hurt. He did not support the persecution. And unlike Caroline, Nick has not been put in a pillory and has been allowed to keep on trucking. After he has spent a week blowing leaves or whatever, he'll be back to reading fanfic and singing songs with the fans.
Wasn't the boyfriend the one who called the police in the first place, saying she was trying to kill him? Didn't she whack him with a lamp? Wasn't there blood hence why the police arrested her? The CPS decided to charge because, in cases of domestic violence, victims are often manipulated/intimidated into dropping charges then inevitably the cycle continues.

Though tragic that Caroline Flack took her own life, and it is tragic, with the way people have talked about her, you'd think she was some kind of saint even though she clearly wasn't. She did something wrong and the attention that was brought to it was obviously too much for her. However, that is the dark side of fame and comes with the territory.

Maybe he should try not getting banned from every con. If you saw him you would realize these things are killing him.
He's not banned from every con.

The problem is that cons are his main source of income so he can't just give them up. However, it's also a reminder that he will never do better than Buffy, a show that ended nearly 17 years ago.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.

I'm not saying the CPS were wrong to charge him. That's their decisions to make. But it is one of the many differences between this two cases. And it is not nice to hit someone with a lamp, which he claims she didn't, but he got away from it more or less unscathed and chose not to stand behind the persecution. Maybe Caroline should still have stood trial if she was alive, but I don't see that as being relevant to the Nick's case.

Nick did not lose his job, even if he was banned from Wizard World cons.
This was not the first time he pleads guilty to an act of violence.
He has not been put on a pillory by the media. The few articles I've seen only report the basic fact as given to them by the police or the verdict.

Caroline may not be a saint. Few people are. But she went through a lot after that incident. Nick just beats people up and wrecks stuff with impunity. We still love and forgive him and give him our money. For your average Joe violent alcoholic, getting put on probation and having to do community service may actually mean something. You could lose your job. For a cult celebrity with loyal fans, willing to share their disposable income, it doesn't mean that much.

Last edited:

Kayrcee

Townie
Wasn't the boyfriend the one who called the police in the first place, saying she was trying to kill him? Didn't she whack him with a lamp? Wasn't there blood hence why the police arrested her? The CPS decided to charge because, in cases of domestic violence, victims are often manipulated/intimidated into dropping charges then inevitably the cycle continues.

Though tragic that Caroline Flack took her own life, and it is tragic, with the way people have talked about her, you'd think she was some kind of saint even though she clearly wasn't. She did something wrong and the attention that was brought to it was obviously too much for her. However, that is the dark side of fame and comes with the territory.

He's not banned from every con.

The problem is that cons are his main source of income so he can't just give them up. However, it's also a reminder that he will never do better than Buffy, a show that ended nearly 17 years ago.
There are things called JOBS. He should look into it.

Kayrcee

Townie
There's also a thing called EMPLOYERS DON'T WANT TO HIRE SOMEONE WITH A CRIMINAL RECORD.
Oh ok. Well then he should keep doing his appearances and people can give him money that he's obviously using to kill himself. God.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Oh ok. Well then he should keep doing his appearances and people can give him money that he's obviously using to kill himself. God.
If he's got no income, then what's he supposed to live on? Fresh air?

I'm starting to get the feeling that the whole reason you started this thread was because you wanted everyone to throw rocks at NB and because people aren't, you're now getting pissy about it.

vampmogs

Potential
Glad he only got probation; he's been through enough.
Yeah, it must've been really hard on him when he tore chunks of hair out of a woman's head...

If he's got no income, then what's he supposed to live on? Fresh air?
Can Nick not get a regular job like everyone else? You know, even with a criminal record, he could get an ordinary job. No, a lot of employers won't employ him, and that's a consequence of his own actions, so cry me a river, but not everybody with a criminal record is jobless. He doesn't HAVE to rely on cons for work and considering he's been arrested for his behaviour actually AT cons it wouldn't be such a bad thing if he stopped participating in them. He was banned from at least one of them for a reason.

Having a bunch of tragic fans sticking up for him, making excuses for what he's done, victim-blaming his girlfriend, and trivialising his behaviour, will absolutely do him no favours whatsoever. Enabling his abusive behaviour will not benefit Nick at all. If people actually cared about him they'd see that. I don't care about him and even I can see that. Go figure.

Last edited:

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Can Nick not get a regular job like everyone else? You know, even with a criminal record, he could get an ordinary job. No, a lot of employers won't employ him, and that's a consequence of his own actions, so cry me a river, but not everybody with a criminal record is jobless. He doesn't HAVE to rely on cons for work and considering he's been arrested for his behaviour actually AT cons it wouldn't be such a bad thing if he stopped participating in them. He was banned from at least one of them for a reason.

Having a bunch of tragic fans sticking up for him, making excuses for what he's done, victim-blaming his girlfriend, and trivialising his behaviour, will absolutely do him no favours whatsoever. Enabling his abusive behaviour will not benefit Nick at all. If people actually cared about him they'd see that. I don't care about him and even I can see that. Go figure.
He already has a job. He's an actor and he gets even more money from doing cons. Why give up something that brings in money and allows you to interact with people who have a positive disposition towards you?

If you don't care about him then why should it bother you what he does?

vampmogs

Potential
He already has a job. He's an actor
When's the last time he acted in something? He certainly was an actor. These days he mostly seems to appear at these things.

and he gets even more money from doing cons. Why give up something that brings in money and allows you to interact with people who have a positive disposition towards you?
Because it legitimately hasn't done him any good at all. Nick doesn't need enablers, he needs to get real. Never underestimate the power of a decent hard days work. Sitting on stage in front of a bunch of sycophants who clap and applaud like seals every time you rehash the same tired anecdotes again, or do the snoopy dance again, or talk about a job you had 20 years ago again, hasn't worked for him, has it? He hasn't actually been transparent or honest with his fans. He's very selective in what he chooses to talk about and it's never about how his depression or alcoholism has caused him to hurt others, it's always 'woe is me'. Even his comments about DB and how he didn't want him at the 20th Anniversary Reunion and how he "didn't know why" reeked of dishonesty. Oh, please. There's no way somebody wouldn't have explained to him why, that is if he didn't know already, but it's obviously something unflattering to Nick so it's easier to play the victim card again. And in return, his fans aren't honest with him, because they know everything he's done but instead encourage his pity parade and very selective "intimate sharing" he chooses to partake in with them.

It's a vicious cycle of repeated behaviour. He courts the attention of these people when, honestly, these people clearly can't care about him all that much or they wouldn't prioritise getting to hang around with "Xander" then what's actually good for his well-being.

And how exactly have these cons been good for him? In 2014 he was arrested whilst at Tree City Comic Con for trashing his hotel room. In 2015 he was arrested in Fort Lauderdale whilst attending a local Con. In the same year he was arrested again whilst attending ALT*Con for, again, trashing his motel room and demanding a room upgrade because "he's a TV star." Seeing a patten here?

If you don't care about him then why should it bother you what he does?
I don't care about a lot of people and I can still have opinions on them or their behaviour.

Last edited:

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
When's the last time he acted in something? He certainly was an actor. These days he mostly seems to appear at these things.
In which case, they're his main source of income. So again the question: If he gives these things up and thus has no income, what's he suppose to live on? Fresh air?

His criminal record means its going to be hard for him to get hired, he needs the cons because it pays his bills. Also why take a job away from someone who might need it when he already has a job?

Because it legitimately hasn't done him any good at all. Nick doesn't need enablers, he needs to get real. Never underestimate the power of a decent hard days work. Sitting on stage in front of a bunch of sycophants who clap and applaud like seals every time you rehash the same tired anecdotes again, or do the snoopy dance again, or talk about a job you had 20 years ago again, hasn't worked for him, has it? He hasn't actually been transparent or honest with his fans. He's very selective in what he chooses to talk about and it's never about how his depression or alcoholism has caused him to hurt others, it's always 'woe is me'. Even his comments about DB and how he didn't want him at the 20th Anniversary Reunion and how he "didn't know why" reeked of dishonesty. Oh, please. There's no way somebody wouldn't have explained to him why, that is if he didn't know already, but it's obviously something unflattering to Nick so it's easier to play the victim card again. And in return, his fans aren't honest with him, because they know everything he's done but instead encourage his pity parade and very selective "intimate sharing" he chooses to partake in with them.

It's a vicious cycle of repeated behaviour. He courts the attention of these people when, honestly, these people clearly can't care about him all that much or they wouldn't prioritise getting to hang around with "Xander" then what's actually good for his well-being.

And how exactly have these cons been good for him? In 2014 he was arrested whilst at Tree City Comic Con for trashing his hotel room. In 2015 he was arrested in Fort Lauderdale whilst attending a local Con. In the same year he was arrested again whilst attending ALT*Con for, again, trashing his motel room and demanding a room upgrade because "he's a TV star." Seeing a patten here?
NB has kept out of trouble the last couple of years which suggests he is trying to get his life back on track. This trial was not for recent behaviour. If the cons are giving him a source of income and he enjoys doing them and people enjoy seeing him, why should he give them up?

I don't care about a lot of people and I can still have opinions on them or their behaviour.
A lot of the time it seems you come into threads just to argue with people because you don't agree with their opinions rather than actually debate a point.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
Sorry, but what do you mean by this? Why would/should @VisionGirl treat Nick Brendon any different than any other woman beater? I'm not being snarky I just am struggling to understand what you mean here?
Because every case is different and Nick doesn’t represent all predators by being one. Justice isn’t lumping everyone with a similar crime into a collective and staring yourself blind on statistics or treating each sentence by the frustration of others. Every case is still unique, not about predators in general.

(Then again, I didn't create two accounts to back my own arguments up)
Please don’t suggest this. It is really rude. You don’t think we would’ve noticed?

There is a lot to read through here that I missed while offline, but since sentencing has been done it seems best that the thread is locked, since the topic is too inflammed for anyone to behave well.

The justice system has had its say, what more can we say. Nick will serve the sentence he got, case closed.

vampmogs

Potential
In which case, they're his main source of income. So again the question: If he gives these things up and thus has no income, what's he suppose to live on? Fresh air?
And again the response; he can get a regular job like everyone else. People with criminal records don't have just 2 options you know. It's honestly absurd to suggest that Nick Brendon's only 2 options in live are living off cons or living off "air."

Like, I'm not even going to entertain this as a legitimate argument. People with criminal records secure employment ALL THE TIME. It's not even a debate that it's possible, it's a reality of everyday life.

A lot of the time, it seems you just come into threads to argue with people because you don't agree with their opinions.
1) We've been told multiple times in this thread to stop making personal remarks. It seems to be pattern with you that whenever you can't debate my point you resort to personal comments instead. I've asked you once before already to stop doing it.
2) What exactly is it that do you think that you're doing? I can point to several posts from you in this very thread of you posting "just to argue with people because you don't agree with their opinions." What an odd thing to say.

EDIT: I posted this just as @Taake has posted her post. I'll leave it at that then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom