• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Not a Huge Fan

i for one LOVE Buffy. and i mean LOVE. i am completely obsessed, which often annoys my friends. but i find the comics... not so good. i read them, i devour all things Buffy, but nothing co-alignes to the show. not trying to offend anyone, just my thoughts on the matter. do you like the series? 🧛‍♂️🧛‍♂️🧛‍♂️

fauxindigo

Scooby
As far as I'm concerned, even if some things are questionable as far as continuity or "aligning" with the show... the comics don't take anything away from the tv series; they expand on the series and give us like 10+ more seasons of BtVS & Angel (and so many more buffyverse stories!)
I love the comics and that they've continued our beloved series for 10+ years now. I only hope they've helped keep the Buffyverse alive to usher in this new slayer tv series and hopefully big Buffy things in the near future.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
i for one LOVE Buffy. and i mean LOVE. i am completely obsessed, which often annoys my friends. but i find the comics... not so good. i read them, i devour all things Buffy, but nothing co-alignes to the show. not trying to offend anyone, just my thoughts on the matter. do you like the series? 🧛‍♂️🧛‍♂️🧛‍♂️
I'm not particularly keen on the comics either. They started out not too bad, the artwork was brilliant (the characters looked like the actors for the most part) and to be honest that carried a lot of the clunky dialogue. However then they changed the artist and so the clunky dialogue no longer had that support and became painfully obvious. The characters are drawn weird, particularly Willow and Xander currently looks like an old man even though he's supposed to be in his teens.

The biggest failing of the Boom comics is the scooby dynamic. I just don't buy that the three of them are supposedly friends. Buffy and Willow are awful friends to Xander (to put it politely). In the last issue they were literally bitching about him not turning up to the cinema with them (despite the issue before Willow said it was out of character, yet she made absolutely no effort to see if he was okay) and calling him names like "Captain bails a lot" yet in the very next panel Willow is refusing to leave his side. It makes her come across as very two faced.

If it had been show Willow, she would've hunted Xander down to check he was alright. Comic Willow just needs to be killed off.

telperion66

Potential
I've only just started reading the comics, but its really nice how I can "hear" the characters' voices come through in the writing.

Like when there's dialogue for Xander, for example, I can actually hear his voice coming as if its Nick Brendan speaking the words. That's what I like about the comics, they continue the world of the characters that I love.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'm undecided so far. As of right now I've only bought one issue, but I have skimmed (very carefully so I don't feel obligated to buy them) many issues and consider it pretty fanfiction (and I've read much better fanfiction, btw) with an official label so that it can make money.

It has potential, but saying it has potential is another way of saying it isn't that good (yet). Right now my biggest turnoff is that the characters don't feel right for each other. Taken individually, fine, but it just doesn't feel like many of them should be together as friends, and with the major changes made it cancels out carrying over most of the reasons why they were from the show into the comics. I could add other quibbles, and I very strongly disagree that Willow would automatically feel more secure because of the internet to explain her character (though given how the school is portrayed could account for it, in my view, though it begs the question of why it's a relatively pleasant place unless it's no longer on top of the Hellmouth).

Nevertheless, there are some interesting directions so I haven't dismissed it just yet. If I decide the potential is being fulfilled then I'll start buying them.

TriBel

Scooby
IDW - Fine
Dark Horse - Fine
Boom - Fine

None of them are Moore or Gaiman but that's fine. They are what they are...enjoy them for what they are.

Gingerbread

Townie
I totally see the flaws and the places where the relationship development is lacking, but I’m kind of loving the new comics, despite that.
I find the changes to the original narrative intriguing (we’ll have to see how they play out), but mostly I’m just thrilled to have new Buffy material in my life.

katmobile

Scooby
IDW - Fine
Dark Horse - Fine
Boom - Fine

None of them are Moore or Gaiman but that's fine. They are what they are...enjoy them for what they are.
I like Christos Gage - I loved all three Dark Horse seasons he was responsible for. My hubbie who is familiar with his non Buffyverse stuff likes that too.

Angel6
Angel6
Horses for courses really because I really really disliked those Dark Horse years.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
I'm not a fan of reboots in general, especially when the original was so good. I've been getting the comics, but I haven't paid much attention to them. I like the Firefly comics better.

katmobile

Scooby
I'm not a fan of reboots in general, especially when the original was so good. I've been getting the comics, but I haven't paid much attention to them. I like the Firefly comics better.
I'd agree with this except I'm not even bothering with the Boom comics at all. As others have said about the DH ones to me they're AU fan fic and from what I've heard not that amazing an example of it at that. No Red Son.

The Ferg

Scooby
What comics have you read exactly? Because I find the first half of Season 8 to be just as good as any of the TV seasons, and I think it really captures the tone and feel of the show as well. After The Fall is similarly fantastic, but for a different reason. I get that one could dislike the comics, but I'm surprised you're having such a strong reaction when most people tend to enjoy the early stuff.

but nothing co-alignes to the show.
What does this mean? The continuity fits just as well as any regular season of the show.

As far as I'm concerned, even if some things are questionable as far as continuity or "aligning" with the show... the comics don't take anything away from the tv series; they expand on the series and give us like 10+ more seasons of BtVS & Angel (and so many more buffyverse stories!)
I love the comics and that they've continued our beloved series for 10+ years now. I only hope they've helped keep the Buffyverse alive to usher in this new slayer tv series and hopefully big Buffy things in the near future.
This, exactly. I can't bring myself to care too much about whether the Boom books are amazing or not. As long as their competent, I'm happy. More content is great news for me.

IDW - Fine
Dark Horse - Fine
Boom - Fine

Maybe I'm just a fanboy, but I think there's a few arcs in there that transcend being a great Buffyverse story and end up being just a great story in general; on par with the greats of the 2000-2010's.

Last edited:

katmobile

Scooby
What comics have you read exactly? Because I find the first half of Season 8 to be just as good as any of the TV seasons, and I think it really captures the tone and feel of the show as well. After The Fall is similarly fantastic, but for a different reason. I get that one could dislike the comics, but I'm surprised you're having such a strong reaction when most people tend to enjoy the early stuff.

What does this mean? The continuity fits just as well as any regular season of the show.

This, exactly. I can't bring myself to care too much about whether the Boom books are amazing or not. As long as their competent, I'm happy. More content is great news for me.

Maybe I'm just a fanboy, but I think there's a few arcs in there that transcend being a great Buffyverse story and end up being just a great story in general; on par with the greats of the 2000-2010's.
Just out of interest which ones.

I am enjoying the series. I think they are taking bold risks and we need to see if they pay off or not.

Why don't you like the comics?
i dont hate them and as i read more i like them more. i find drucilla isn't really her, but other than that they are ok. the show is better obviously.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Maybe season 7 (in how that was discordant to me from previous seasons). It's been YEARS since I tried "season 8" but I recall it had Amy wanting cheese even though in season 6 she didn't want more. and Joss himself said he forgot the First showed up as Warren when he okayed Warren being alive in season 8. Amy being so powerful that she could steal a kill from Willow, and yet still be "jealous" (as she was in season 7), let alone not helping the First also begs a lot of questions in reconciling the TV show with the comics.

And that's not counting the entire "comic book" vibe it has which is different from the soap opera of the show (even if seasons 6 and 7 started leaning that way), plus the global theme as opposed to the hometown theme.

So no, there's no real continuity between "season 8" and the TV series, and its retcons are far more egregious than any of the retcons I think of offhand in the show (though there were certainly some glaring ones). In my headcanon it's an alternate universe like the Wishverse, and I don't doubt your own headcanon to reconcile them has some amazing leaps that might be worth your own original fanfic to explore those ideas.

And speaking of which, I've read hastily written fanfiction, and also crossovers with other shows, that felt more true to the show than the comics. The whimsical retcons of the comics is just one of the reasons I don't care if something is officially "canon" or not anymore. It just means they have legal rights to the story, not that they give a damn about it beyond using the franchise as a cash cow.

As for the "reboot." I've pretty much given up on it (I'll probably check it one more time before I resolve to never look at it again), but that's for different reasons...and if someone offered me a choice between Season 8 and a full "season" of the reboot I'd choose the reboot in a heartbeat.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Do you mean just the Boom iteration, or the Darkhorse ones too?

Top Bottom