• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Not enough Willow in the comics

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
Does anyone else feel Willow takes a bit of a backseat in the comics after returning from her Wonderland spin-off? I know this is The Buffy Show, so it makes sense that a lot of time is spent on her and Spike. However, it seems as if Xander has pushed Willow out of the # 2 spot. There is a lot of time devoted to his anger issues and his relationship with Dawn. Willow has three girlfriends that we hardly get to know. Worst of all, we don't get to know how Willow feels about them.

I know Willow is present and integral in most of the big story moments and actions scenes. She flies around and zaps people. I think beating people up should be Buffy's job. Willow is now much more powerful than Dark Willow. I liked how magic worked on the TV show, where it was mostly used through elaborate rituals. Willow and Giles playing Harry Potter isn't all that interesting.

Willow didn't have a lot to do in S10, but she will have a bigger role in S11.

I feel that it's about time Xander gets the attention he deserves, so I'm very glad he got a big arc in S10.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
I feel that it's about time Xander gets the attention he deserves, so I'm very glad he got a big arc in S10.
You would be, wouldn't you? :p However, my name is not XanderFromBuffy. I will not be satisfied unless Willow is front and centre. I guess the TV show spoiled me a bit.

Willow is certainly present a lot in s11, but I don't feel we get under her skin in quite the same way as with Buffy, Spike, Xander, Dawn and even Giles.

You would be, wouldn't you? :p However, my name is not XanderFromBuffy. I will not be satisfied unless Willow is front and centre. I guess the TV show spoiled me a bit.
In that regards the comics are more satisfying to me than the TV show. :D Well, nothing more satisfying that Xander-centric fics that's for sure. ;)

Willow is certainly present a lot in s11, but I don't feel we get under her skin in quite the same way as with Buffy, Spike, Xander, Dawn and even Giles.
I personally wish S9 focused more on Willow being stripped out of her magic and trying to fit into the normal world. Her struggle would have been interesting.

I have to agree with @sosa lola, Willow was basically equal lead in S6 and Xander finally made a push for number 1 spot in S7 and it carried on from there. I don't know if it was the change in medium to comics, or the change in writers, but Xander really did become Buffy's best friend from S7-10 and it was about time we saw a bit more of him, especially after seeing so little of his story in S6.

Willow has come back in S11 and pushed Xander right down the billing. She's back to best friend again and it's been good to see. I do think we have seen two of her previous relationships, Aluwyn and Lake Stevens pretty closely. Lake even made an appearance in S11. We've also seen the flirting between Willow and Calliope, and Willow trying to restrain herself, knowing Calliope is in a relationship.

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
I think she's had an okay balance, but as a Willow fan as well (over Xander, though I like him too) I could definitely be okay with some more Willow!

One thing I totally agree about is the magic usage in the comics vs. the show. Sometimes I get annoyed by Giles and Willow popping up in every fight scene throwing spells left and right. It was definitely much more interesting to me when magic was primarily rituals for the larger scale spells. Also, I kind of liked it better when Willow was the key magic user. I mean she still is, but Giles jumps in all the time to help and in the show he wasn't as powerful, outside of some key bits of S6 with his borrowed power.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
@Priceless If we are going by the principle of fairness, I guess the Banglers have been patiently waiting their turn for a while now :å
I do think we have seen two of her previous relationships, Aluwyn and Lake Stevens pretty closely.
Aluwyn yes. However, I did not get Lake at all. Why would Willow go for a character that is essentially Riley with less muscles and more boobs? They could have spent more time making us understand that relationship. Lake spends their first date trying to distance Willow from Buffy. It lead to Will and Buff talking things out, which is good.

Calliope makes more sense. Willow says she wants a girlfriend she can trust, which made me think of Tara. Calliope looks a bit like Tara and she is a witch. However, I do fear Calliope is done with.

@buffy1990 I sometimes fear Willow and Giles are about to morph into the same character.

Grace

Evil Olive
Black Thorn
Giles jumps in all the time to help and in the show he wasn't as powerful, outside of some key bits of S6 with his borrowed power.
I have a vague memory that kid Giles is more powerful because of his inherent talent for magic that had been repressed or something. Or am I making that up? I do agree that the elaborate rituals and spells were more interesting than the comic-y magic bolts.

Calliope makes more sense. Willow says she wants a girlfriend she can trust, which made me think of Tara. Calliope looks a bit like Tara and she is a witch. However, I do fear Calliope is done with.
Sniff, sniff. I loved Calliope, though I didn't get the sense that she was very popular. I agree that she's probably done with and it makes me sad.

I did really like Willow and Buffy's conversation under the moon in #7, I think it was? But overall I agree with you that Willow seems to be held at arm's length. She feels more remote, whereas the stuff with Xander had a more emotional element. I do think that NB's involvement in S10 helped with that.

@Priceless If we are going by the principle of fairness, I guess the Banglers have been patiently waiting their turn for a while now :å
You know I hate it when you use logic against me, so please stop doing that :)

Aluwyn yes. However, I did not get Lake at all. Why would Willow go for a character that is essentially Riley with less muscles and more boobs? They could have spent more time making us understand that relationship. Lake spends their first date trying to distance Willow from Buffy. It lead to Will and Buff talking things out, which is good.
Willow went for the opposite of Aluwyn, just as Kennedy was the opposite of Tara. Willow boomerangs from one extreme to the other. Once a relationship ends she runs the other way. What she really needs is another Oz (male or female version of) Willow was attracted to Lake because she as a grown-up, a professional, something Willow wanted to be at the time.

But of course after Lake comes the opposite again, Callipe, who seems very young and sweet and plup, Lake being very angular. Willow wants someone she can trust, but Callipe was happy to cheat on her girlfriend with Willow, so not very trustworthy.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
I did really like Willow and Buffy's conversation under the moon in #7, I think it was? But overall I agree with you that Willow seems to be held at arm's length. She feels more remote, whereas the stuff with Xander had a more emotional element. I do think that NB's involvement in S10 helped with that.
That is what I feel, too. She is ever present, but still kinda distant. Get Alyson on the writing staff pronto.
You know I hate it when you use logic against me, so please stop doing that :)
I have been known to stoop to logic when I am desperate enough :p
Willow went for the opposite of Aluwyn, just as Kennedy was the opposite of Tara. Willow boomerangs from one extreme to the other. Once a relationship ends she runs the other way. What she really needs is another Oz (male or female version of) Willow was attracted to Lake because she as a grown-up, a professional, something Willow wanted to be at the time.
This makes a lot of sense. However, I do not feel Willow is all that committed to being grown up and professional. It is more like jobs in tech pay more than performing at children's birthday parties.
Willow wants someone she can trust, but Callipe was happy to cheat on her girlfriend with Willow, so not very trustworthy.
Maybe trustworthy was a poor choice of word. Kennedy and Lake both had these tough personalities. Perhaps Willow saw Calliope as someone she could more easily confide in. I wish Willow had fought harder, instead of just venting her frustration in her bunk.

This makes a lot of sense. However, I do not feel Willow is all that committed to being grown up and professional. It is more like jobs in tech pay more than performing at children's birthday parties.
Those scenes of Willow and Lake in that posh restaurant, discussing 'the problem with Buffy' didn't seem Willow's speed, but Willow does tend to conform to her partners needs.

Maybe trustworthy was a poor choice of word. Kennedy and Lake both had these tough personalities. Perhaps Willow saw Calliope as someone she could more easily confide in. I wish Willow had fought harder, instead of just venting her frustration in her bunk.
I thought that actually showed growth on Willow's part. She'd cheated on Oz and Kennedy and I like to think she wanted her relationship with Calliope to start positively.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
Those scenes of Willow and Lake in that posh restaurant, discussing 'the problem with Buffy' didn't seem Willow's speed, but Willow does tend to conform to her partners needs.
That is very true. I am adding your name to the rooster of my Willow fan-club.
I thought that actually showed growth on Willow's part. She'd cheated on Oz and Kennedy and I like to think she wanted her relationship with Calliope to start positively.
I guess. I was just so desperate to have some drama around Willow, and I got less than I hoped for. Also, the moral of the story is clearly that good guys finish last. Calliope breaks her promise :mad: If you cheat, you get found out. If you don't cheat, you don't get any. Reality is harsh.

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."

@buffy1990 I sometimes fear Willow and Giles are about to morph into the same character.
Yes I can see that happening with the magic use :/

I have a vague memory that kid Giles is more powerful because of his inherent talent for magic that had been repressed or something. Or am I making that up? I do agree that the elaborate rituals and spells were more interesting than the comic-y magic bolts.
That might be true-I'd have to reread them to see. That would make sense at least!

Zenseem

Evil, skanky and kinda gay
Black Thorn
I think they ran out of ideas for what to do to Willow, which is insane considering all the possibility a character as deep and complex as her can have. I’d like to see more of Willow’s side of things and how all the experience she collected over many years of slayage have affected her, as well as the scoobies. I’m just not feeling the same old scooby gang anymore, they feel more like strangers to me, which is kinda sad. But let’s see what the comics have to offer us.

Top Bottom