• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Official Political Discussion Thread 4

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Which is accurate, study here:
The other thing that skews the numbers is what constitutes a protest. The little burb where I work had a protests, there were, at the most two dozen people there at a time, compared to the city proper where there close to a thousand and there was rioting. For three days in a row.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
The protests are mostly peaceful. It's a perfectly legitimate statement based on data collected over the period. I didn't go through all of the site but it looked quite interesting.

"But Corbyn!" is a terrible defense of a corrupt government. If you're happy with them handing out millions of public money in no bid contracts to their friends for example then that's your call. Don't pretend that's what would be happening if Corbyn was in charge though.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Should the population of a country be forced to vote?

Do the political parties in those countries support the law that people have to vote, and why?
Is it to effectively gauge how the population thinks? In how many countries can the person/ political party with the fewest votes win?
Me being slightly against all current politicians I'm a little suspicious of their motives, I mean, how much money do they get for each vote?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The other thing that skews the numbers is what constitutes a protest. The little burb where I work had a protests, there were, at the most two dozen people there at a time, compared to the city proper where there close to a thousand and there was rioting. For three days in a row.
Protests are peaceful, riots aren't. What is happening in democrat run cities are riots.

The protests are mostly peaceful.
Tell that to Portland residents and mineappolis residents and Chicago residents etc.

"But Corbyn!" is a terrible defense of a corrupt government. If you're happy with them handing out millions of public money in no bid contracts to their friends for example then that's your call. Don't pretend that's what would be happening if Corbyn was in charge though.
Corbyn would've had the police defunded faster than you could blink regardless of what the rest of the country wanted. At least Starmer has the common sense to know that such an action would not go down well at all.

Boris and the conservatives aren't perfect but even they can see the stupidity in defunding the police. Also BLM want to take fathers out of homes, that is one of their main goals, they want to "disrupt the western-prescribed nuclear family structure". What does trying to to destroy families have to do with "fighting racism"? Why is removing fathers from families (another major problem in the black community is the lack of fathers in the home) a main goal?

Say what you will about the conservatives, but they did right with the furlough scheme. In fact if it wasn't for the furlough scheme, I'd be out of a job. Also Boris isn't rolling over to the bullying tactics of the EU.

Reason: derogatory remark about other political party and group
Last edited by a moderator:

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Boris and the conservatives aren't perfect but even they can see the stupidity in defunding the police.
Which is why they've spent the last decade defunding the police and the rest of the legal system. Leading to them now proposing to imprison people for up to 8 months without trial as courts can no longer function.
Also Boris isn't rolling over to the bullying tactics of the EU.
As great as it might seem for people wishing to wave flags and stick their fingers up at Europe this isn't actually strength or a victory. He signed the withdrawal agreement. He promised an oven ready deal. He's now looking to circumvent an international treaty that he signed and supported in parliament. As always looked likely we appear to be heading for a no deal crash out. Which will be fantastic for the Conservatives and their speculator backers but a disaster for the rest of us.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Which is why they've spent the last decade defunding the police and the rest of the legal system.
Boris only became leader last July. Also Labour had screwed up the economy and gotten into so much deficit, even leaving a note for the then incoming tory government saying the money was all gone, that cuts had to be made across the board.

As great as it might seem for people wishing to wave flags and stick their fingers up at Europe this isn't actually strength or a victory.
I disagree. The EU have been trying to bully Britain into submission several times since the referendum result was announced. They don't want Britain to succeed outside of europe because if that happens then it starts giving other member countries ideas.

He signed the withdrawal agreement. He promised an oven ready deal. He's now looking to circumvent an international treaty that he signed and supported in parliament. As always looked likely we appear to be heading for a no deal crash out. Which will be fantastic for the Conservatives and their speculator backers but a disaster for the rest of us.
There was always gong to be some rough patches but Brexit is ultimately the right thing.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Once again Biden gets loud, yells and tells the common person they are full of shi!t just because they are questioning his policies. That's not how you win votes. Anyone that disagrees with him he verbally attacks.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Everyone form an orderly queue to do business with a country planning to break international law because they don't like the agreement they made last year.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Everyone form an orderly queue to do business with a country planning to break international law because they don't like the agreement they made last year.
Good for them. I don't see how that can be looked at as anything but a good thing. Is it not?

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Good for them. I don't see how that can be looked at as anything but a good thing. Is it not?
Which bit should inspire any confidence? Our government doesn't understand deals it signs. It's going to demonstrate it can't be trusted right before needing to embark on negotiating new deals for all the ones we're about to rip up.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Which bit should inspire any confidence? Our government doesn't understand deals it signs. It's going to demonstrate it can't be trusted right before needing to embark on negotiating new deals for all the ones we're about to rip up.
But I thought, it was basically allowing, more or less, free trade to return. I admit I don't know much or anything about but that's what I thought it was about.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
But I thought, it was basically allowing, more or less, free trade to return. I admit I don't know much or anything about but that's what I thought it was about.
The majority of the country wants Brexit, that's why the conservatives won by such a majority, even turning previous labour strongholds blue. The EU wants Brexit to fail so other members don't get the same idea.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
The majority of the country wants Brexit,
But is that true? I remember weeks following the vote there were people lamenting their decision to vote leave because they didn't understand what it meant. In this very forum there was at least one person that voted to leave and wished they could take back their vote because they didn't understand the ramifications.

So when you say the majority of the country wants it, what is that based on? Any current data or just the result of the vote?

nightshade
nightshade
The vote was 51% leave 48% remain, or something like that

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
@nightshade Right, but my point was how many people actually voted without knowing what they were voting for. Was wondering if the majority statement was based on new data or just on the voting numbers, which, could be viewed as incorrect.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
So when you say the majority of the country wants it, what is that based on? Any current data or just the result of the vote?
The December election was basically a second referendum in all but name. The Conservatives stood on the platform of Get Brexit Done and the UK overwhelmingly voted conservative.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
So apparently starting with 2024 Oscars, if any film wants to be nominated for best picture, it has to have a certain number of black people and gay people and other "underrepresented" groups work on the production.

I think this is wrong. Not about the gay people, black people or whatever being involved, but the fact that they're making it a mandatory requirement if you want your film nominated in the best picture category. Surely nominations for best picture should be based on the quality of the movie produced, not on how many black people or gay people you have working on it. This is kind of discriminatory, not only against straight white people who are now the "wrong" colour and sexuality and in the case of men, gender, but also I think it comes with the connotation that gay and black people are incapable of achieving anything on their own merits. They now have to be given special treatment, they get a job based on the colour of their skin or their sexuality, not because they're the best person for the job.

Thoughts?

Give Us A Kiss
Give Us A Kiss
That's called wokeness

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
It's alright you're in the same position as majority of us, including most of the government. Brexit is all things to all people because there was no plan to begin with and everyone has been able to promise and promote their own interpretation throughout. No matter how many times they move the goalposts. The only guarantee is those funding it will get richer.
Thoughts?
I saw this earlier. Haven't read through the specifics. Film needs to hit two out of four targets or something. First thought is they're clearly doing something to look busy and avoid getting stick every year. Suspect they'll be disappointed with how that goes.

Second thought is I get the theory but not sure what I make of it. Idea is that people stick to what they know. By forcing through targets, people have to cast the net wider. More talent is given an opportunity, quality improves and then the rule would become redundant as people would be naturally sourcing talent from a wider pool.

Has a heavy handed feel to it but without knowing the data of what things are like currently it's hard to tell if it's a necessary correction.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I saw this earlier. Haven't read through the specifics.
"Beginning in 2024 with the 96th Oscars, films hoping to qualify for the best picture category will have to meet inclusion standards both on camera and behind the scenes. To meet the onscreen representation standard, at least one of the lead actors or a significant supporting actor must be from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group, whether that means Asian, Hispanic, Black, Indigenous, Native American, Middle Eastern, North African, native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander.

There are alternatives: Thirty percent of all actors in secondary or more minor roles could come from two of the following categories: women, L.G.B.T.Q., an underrepresented racial or ethnic group, or those with cognitive or physical disabilities. Or the main story line must focus on an underrepresented group.
Other standards involve filling the ranks behind the scenes with women or people of color; offering both paid apprenticeships and training opportunities to those in underrepresented groups; or hiring multiple senior executives from those groups at either the studio or the film company charged with marketing and distributing the films.

The standards will be enforced via spot checks of sets and through dialogue between the academy and a movie’s filmmakers and distributors."
source

My thought is: who really cares? The Oscars have been nothing but a joke for years. They don't mean anything anymore.

Top Bottom