• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Old EW interview with Joss Whedon

Priceless

Scooby
She was. She was making it all about her and what she wanted rather than respecting her father and his wishes. That's why he bailed on Joyce and Buffy turned out to be just like Joyce.
It's always all about Buffy. It like her name's in the title or something

Spanky
Spanky
Just like the little prima donna she is.

TriBel

Scooby
Yeah you're right. Buffy's so selfish, wanting to go to that wedding. Back off Buffy!
Didn't Dawn refuse to go because Buffy wasn't invited? I wonder whether Whedon's making the point that Sisterhood's more significant when it comes to support (in every sense of the word) than fatherhood?

vampmogs

Potential
It never bothered me that Hank drifted further and further away from Buffy. As others have said, it's sadly quite common and particularly with them living in different towns. However, based on what little we see of him in Nightmares and When She Was Bad (in particular) I admittedly did find it a little too extreme that Hank didn't even return Buffy's calls about Joyce's illness and death. He seemed on fairly good terms with Joyce and both Helpless and Choices suggest that they were in contact in relation to Buffy whenever necessary (her birthday, tuition fees etc). He never struck me as the kind of man who'd literally not bother to even return Buffy's call when Joyce died or not care at all about his daughter's now being motherless.

I completely understand their desire to keep Hank out of the story for practicality reasons and as they wanted Giles to be Buffy's father figure. But I think there's probably ways they could have explained his absence in Forever better then simply saying he was so heartless he wouldn't even return Buffy's calls.

AngelBuffy

Townie
the show hated parents. when did we see willow, cordy and xander parents?

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
We saw Willow's mother in Gingerbread and Xander's family in Hell's Bells, but neither were cast in a positive light in their respective episodes.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
The show wasn't too supportive of Amy Madison's mother either.

I can see Joss' point about the show getting wrapped around the axle with parents and turning into The Walton's or Little House on the Prairie. Sort of like the painting called "Whistler's Mother" - we all know there had to be a Whistler's father but no one ever bothers to bring him up. This is not a show about "family values" (whatever that means - usually a code word for extremist religion). Hank Summers shows up in four episodes (although one was a flashback in "The Weight of the World") and that is the only amount he is needed in order to serve the interests of the plot and character development. A lot of children grew up like this - at least she knows who her father is.

GreyWalker1958
GreyWalker1958
Nor Willow's mom save for in ref or Gingerbread and we already know Xander's deal

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
The show started out as teen show, so of course it's going to sideline the parents or even set them up as "antagonists" to play off the teenage protagonists. When you think of it this way, then it's no wonder, as Buffy gets older and enters adulthood, that Joyce becomes a much warmer, supportive and less "problematic" figure.
Part of it can be seen as a POV issue, though really it's a necessary writer device to target a certain demographic and make the audience identify and empathise with Buffy and her mates.

GreyWalker1958

Potential
Buffy and Hank's relationship is shown in the comics. From what I remember, Hank is to remarry and invites Dawn to the wedding, but not Buffy. He says something like 'trouble follows you wherever you go and I don't want that at my wedding'. Of course Buffy is hurt, but Dawn tells Hank where to stick his wedding. I don't think they have any contact with him after that. I assume Joss wanted an end to the relationship, to tie up old threads.
It'd been funny if it was revealed only Hank didn't want Buffy there but Paige did want her invited all along since she and her kids like her.

Top Bottom