• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Only caring about half of your ship

I've seen people mention a few times how they only really care about one of the characters in their ship/OTP, or even dislike the other character. It kind of confuses me because I can't imagine shipping 2 characters together when I don't like one of them. In some cases it seems to be because the person wants their favorite to have what/who they want. Is there some other reason ?

I'd love to understand.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
The one you mentioned fits with me. Though, don't get me wrong, I don't hate Buffy, but one of the larger reasons for me shipping Spuffy is that Spike loves her and I want Spike to be with who he wants to be with. If the show had ended at S3, I would probably be a Sprusilla shipper.

That being said, my years of reading and writing fanfiction has changed a lot of my show opinions, as well. A part of me is afraid to re-watch the show now, because I may find that I don't ship Spuffy in canon anymore. The fake stories are just better than most of the writing for S6 and S7. We'll see what happens when I do finally get around to that re-watch lol :)

Sineya
Well I'm a Bangel shipper and I love both Angel and Buffy, even if the latter annoys me a lot.

I do see how it's possible for someone to hate half of their ship because even if I hated Buffy, I'd want Angel to be happy and it's obvious that he's happiest with Buffy so I'd ship them lol

The one you mentioned fits with me. Though, don't get me wrong, I don't hate Buffy, but one of the larger reasons for me shipping Spuffy is that Spike loves her and I want Spike to be with who he wants to be with. If the show had ended at S3, I would probably be a Sprusilla shipper.

That being said, my years of reading and writing fanfiction has changed a lot of my show opinions, as well. A part of me is afraid to re-watch the show now, because I may find that I don't ship Spuffy in canon anymore. The fake stories are just better than most of the writing for S6 and S7. We'll see what happens when I do finally get around to that re-watch lol :)
Yes, that's the reason I've seen the most! I think if that happened to me, I'd identify more as a fan character than as a shipper. It's probably why I don't really get it.

Glad to know you don't hate Buffy though! I've seen some people clearly stating that they hate the other character and then why would you ship them with your favorite? loll

I'm a Sprusilla shipper and I like both of them. They were so happy together and were a couple for over 100 years.

I think it's possible to like two characters and ship them together but like one more than the other.
I wasn't really talking about loving one more than the other. It's very rare that someone loves 2 characters equally. I myself love Buffy a bit more than Angel, but I still adore him.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Yes, that's the reason I've seen the most! I think if that happened to me, I'd identify more as a fan character than as a shipper. It's probably why I don't really get it.

Glad to know you don't hate Buffy though! I've seen some people clearly stating that they hate the other character and then why would you ship them with your favorite? loll
Maybe the truth is that reading fanfic is why I identify as a shipper? Maybe if all I did was watch the show, I'd only identify as a Spike fan? It's certainly a possibility, in my case at least :)

Oh, no, not hate from me, but let's just say she is not on my top ten of favorite characters, not even if you exclude the AI verse ;) she has her positive, good sides, though, for sure.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
For me it is Lilah and Wesley. Wesley is such a cold bastard. The scene with Fred's glasses made me drop one less tear for him when I saw Not Fade Away. I am very old fashioned when it comes to sex. I believe you should not sleep with someone if you do not like and respect them. I almost forgive him when he shouts, 'YOU DIDN'T LOVE ME! You couldn't...' It suggest it was insecurity rather than lack of feeling that caused him to behave like he did.

Why do I still like the ship as a whole? I don't know. Maybe I was hoping Wesley would outgrow his infatuation for Fred. Maybe I masochistically enjoy the way Lilah's disappointed eyes twist my gut. Maybe I like the idea of two lonely souls finding some solace in each other, even though things are far from perfect. Maybe they are both just super hot and show more skin than the other characters.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
I'm a Spuffy shipper and Spike and Buffy are at least my top 2 characters and sometimes I would say they are tied for first. I'm not sure I understand people who dislike half of their ship, as much as I love Spike, I wouldn't like Spuffy if not for Buffy.

Sineya
Well, as my ship didn't actually get to happen in the show (Damn you Joss!) I have to rely on Fanfic for my fix.......But as Faith is my favourite character & Buffy is probably in my top five I most certainly don't dislike either half of my ship & couldn't imagine shipping any pairing where I didn't actually like one of them.....

To me, if you don't like one half of a ship.....pair the half you do like with someone else, canon or not....There's bound to be Fanfic out there for it somewhere......

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
Well, I ship Bangel and Weslah.
Wesley and Lilah are in my top 3 Buffyverse characters. I love both of them very dearly.

With Bangel, it's slightly different. Angel is my fave character ever and Bangel is my fave ship ever. However, I don't love, love Buffy. Still, I respect and care for Buffy deeply. She annoys me plenty, yes, and I usually take Angel's side, but I do care about Buffy as well.

I don't know, I ship Bangel because of Bangel and Angel. The combination of Buffy and Angel's characters is always different from the characters seperately. Buffy, to me, is more enjoyable with Angel, but I do admit that to me it isn't all that much about her. I just love Bangel. I love all about it, including Buffy's part of the story, even if I don't love Buffy nearly as much as I love Angel.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
While I ship Fuffy, I don't like Buffy all that much.

However, the subtext between Faith and Buffy is very obvious and no one can take their shared dreams away from them so I ship them :)

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
I could imagine three reasons:

1. Emotional masochism: People like to be miserable. Spuffy in a nutshell.
2. Spurious motivations (either internal for self-delusion or public in debates on message boards): The unsympathetic character is a convenient mirror to fluff up the favorite character's credibility/amiability/goodness etc. It also works the other way around to disparage the unsympathetic character. It's not only in ships but in all interpersonal dynamics though. That's how most bash!fics work and, IMO, how Tara, AtS:S03!Cordelia, A&F:S09!Angel or S07!Spike's characters work in general.
3. Shallow reasons: The hated character is hot as hell and it's solely about the aesthetical appeal.

As for myself, I ship when I like both characters and the story of the ship. Willow/Oz, Xander/Cordelia, Xander/Willow and Giles/Jenny are pretty flawless stories (not the relationships themselves) to me for their whole duration. I like Buffy/Angel, Buffy/Riley, Xander/Anya, Wesley/Lilah, Wesley/Fred, Buffy/Satsu, Willow/Aluwyn, Xander/Rene and Willow/Kennedy albeit with reservations in varying degrees of severity. I dislike Spuffy and Tallow for similar reasons (dislike for Spike and Tara based on their portrayal and function in the narrative structure). I don't really care about Xander/Dawn, Gunn/Fred or Angel/Nina (which is worse than dislike, IMO).

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Angel is my fave character ever and Bangel is my fave ship ever. However, I don't love, love Buffy. Still, I respect and care for Buffy deeply. She annoys me plenty, yes, and I usually take Angel's side, but I do care about Buffy as well.

I don't know, I ship Bangel because of Bangel and Angel. The combination of Buffy and Angel's characters is always different from the characters seperately. Buffy, to me, is more enjoyable with Angel, but I do admit that to me it isn't all that much about her. I just love Bangel. I love all about it, including Buffy's part of the story, even if I don't love Buffy nearly as much as I love Angel.

No I didn't just copy this post from @Carrie Hopewell , how dare you suggest such a thing?
:p *Shameless*

Carrie Hopewell
Carrie Hopewell
Hahaha. I'll allow it this time!

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
Maybe I'm just a simpleton, but why would you ship a ship which only had a starboard bow?

Like what's the point of shipping Spuffy if you actually only prefer Buffy? Surely you don't actually ship it, you just like Buffy? :confused:

Maybe I'm just a simpleton, but why would you ship a ship which only had a starboard bow?

Like what's the point of shipping Spuffy if you actually only prefer Buffy? Surely you don't actually ship it, you just like Buffy? :confused:
I agree. Its like with Jenny and Giles. I like Jenny and I like what she brings to Giles as a character. I think she adds something of value which maybe wasn't there before. Likewise I'm invested in them because I like Giles and want him to be happy.

As for Bangel and Spuffy. I'm more interested in Spuffy, but I can values and faults in both relationships. To me ultimately Buffy could not be with either long term. It just wouldn't have worked out.

Buffy is the reason I started watching the show first time around. She's an amazing character. I have a lot of respect for her, and I like her, she's got a lot of qualities I admire and I also have a lot of sympathy with her. I want her to be happy and fulfilled in a relationship and Spike ticks all those boxes (it helps that he's as sexy as hell) :) Of course I adore Spike, but I like them both a lot more when they're together, whether that's trying to kill each other or loving each other. I love them both and they are my top two favourite characters

If it's an interesting (or even just amusing) story. For me, it doesn't have to be forever or a One True Pairing.

It might also be that while characters are important (and it can annoy and even alienate me if I feel characters are being carelessly twisted to push a plot), I tend not to project myself into them, but be fascinated by the story itself. That makes a difference. If I don't project myself into say Wes or Lilah then I can enjoy their relationship a lot more (as I did) than if I were to find myself identifying too much with either one (as neither would interest me that way personally, so if I were one then I wouldn't want to be with the other).

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I always found it a bit odd when someone really ships two characters together but doesn't like one of the character. I understand liking one of the two characters better than the other, but I've seen a couple of people who actually dislike one of the character, and I just don't really get that. I get wanting your fav to be happy, but I personally couldn't ship a couple where I don't like half of the couple. That's why I would never ship Buffy/Riley, since I don't like Riley, even if Buffy was happy with him.

But overall I'm not a huge shipper. I tend to like individual characters better, and when I do ship a couple it's usually because I like the interactions and the dynamic between the characters. Like the reason I ship Fuffy is because they have one of the coolest dynamic of the whole show, and they compliment each other so well, and their story actually adds to the show. I also like Buffy and Faith as individual characters, but I don't just ship them because I like both of them separately. It's more about how they compliment each other.

One thing I have noticed especially in the Buffy fandom is that many people who ship Bangel or Spuffy are actually more so fans of Angel or Spike as individuals. Sometimes Buffy has very little to do with either ships it seems.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I'm not a shipper, though I'm turned off by some ships. Like @Blaze I also tend to prefer individual characters over shipping them together. Angel is one of my favourites but I don't really mind who's he's dating (except if it feels like incest).

I think there are a bunch of Bangel and Spuffy shippers who are just big fans of Angel and Spike, but see it as making their favourite character happy if they're with Buffy.

Top Bottom