• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Opinions on the "Get Out" Scene for Dawn

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I think it’s the season 6 scene of her screaming Get Out that’s controversial.

Because she’s older and was responsible for everyone being trapped in the house. She pitches a fit because apparently she’s the most important person and no one gives her enough attention, and she seems to suddenly have no friends of her own even though we saw her hang out a few episodes ago...

white avenger

white avenger
I think that there was a real missed opportunity moment there in Season 7, when, just as Buffy walks out the door after the mutiny, she doesn't turn to Dawn and say, "Well, Dawnie, you've finally gotten your wish, haven't you?" Or, maybe even better, have Spike say it when he returns and finds out what happened.

If Joss would just consult me before doing stuff like this, I could be SUCH a help...

crazysoulless
crazysoulless
Except she did that with Faith in Sanctuary and everyone acted like Buffy was being a petty bitch.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
The scene in season 5 doesn’t bother me for the reason that finding out your whole life is an illusion and a demonic God is after you and you are possibly a weapon of mass destruction is a hell of a lot to deal with it and I can get her rage.
It’s the scene I mentioned in season 6 that REALLY bugs me because she just comes off as an unbelievably self involved brat.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
The scene in season 5 doesn’t bother me for the reason that finding out your whole life is an illusion and a demonic God is after you and you are possibly a weapon of mass destruction is a hell of a lot to deal with it and I can get her rage.
It’s the scene I mentioned in season 6 that REALLY bugs me because she just comes off as an unbelievably self involved brat.
That's fair enough and I agree that this scene doesn't bother me too much either but I thought that was just because I'm a Dawn fan& I love her.
Do you think that she could've handled this scene differently tho?

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
The season 6 scene is hilarious. Just looked it up on YouTube, it's so different from how I remember it. I know I haven't watched s6 for a while, but wow, Joss really ripped David Lynch off in that scene.

GraceK
GraceK
Thank you for this :)
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Brilliant lol
Evil Seal
Evil Seal
Thank you, I have a tear of laughter running down my cheek
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Oh my God, so funny. That time stretched screaming! Thumbs up.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
That's fair enough and I agree that this scene doesn't bother me too much either but I thought that was just because I'm a Dawn fan& I love her.
Do you think that she could've handled this scene differently tho?
She probably could , but I personally don’t see how. At this point in the series she’s the pampered baby of the family, she seems a lot younger than her actual age and honestly I think her reaction was actually pretty normal. She also , after the initial trauma dies down handles it ALOT better going forward. Seriously, season 5 was one trauma Conga line for Dawn and I think she actually rose to the occasion and grew up by the end. That’s what makes her behavior in season 6 so irritating, I feel her character development took a backpedal.

Priceless

Scooby
I think that there was a real missed opportunity moment there in Season 7, when, just as Buffy walks out the door after the mutiny, she doesn't turn to Dawn and say, "Well, Dawnie, you've finally gotten your wish, haven't you?" Or, maybe even better, have Spike say it when he returns and finds out what happened.
Dawn was still a child. If Buffy had said that to her, Buffy would have seemed like a spiteful bitca, so I am so glad she didn't sink that low. As for Spike, he got to punch Faith in the face :D

white avenger

white avenger
If Buffy had said that to her, Buffy would have seemed like a spiteful bitca,
Pointing out the irony in that moment wouldn't be spiteful on Buffy's part as much as it would be pointing out to Dawn just how spiteful her "Get out, get out, GET OUT!!" tantrum had been in the first place.

Priceless

Scooby
Pointing out the irony in that moment wouldn't be spiteful on Buffy's part as much as it would be pointing out to Dawn just how spiteful her "Get out, get out, GET OUT!!" tantrum had been in the first place.
I think if Buffy had said anything like that to Dawn, it would have seemed like she was deliberately trying to hurt Dawn, and that's not Buffy's style at all. Buffy is very rarely spiteful and is one of the most compassionate and understanding characters on the show, especially where Dawn is concerned.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I think if Buffy had said anything like that to Dawn, it would have seemed like she was deliberately trying to hurt Dawn, and that's not Buffy's style at all. Buffy is very rarely spiteful and is one of the most compassionate and understanding characters on the show, especially where Dawn is concerned.
I agree with you . Buffy wouldn't say something like that to Dawn and people forget Dawn went through a lot more then most do as a kid.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
She was 14 right? Spike called her a "hormone bomb." I thought it was pretty accurate. The fact that she actually recovered from a life changing thing like that is the most unrealistic thing. She shows that she's grown up during the scenario WAY more than showing immaturity.

white avenger

white avenger
Buffy is very rarely spiteful and is one of the most compassionate and understanding characters on the show, especially where Dawn is concerned.
Putting up with ill manners and disrespect from a child only results in an ill mannered disrespectful adult who is one day going to encounter someone who won't put up with such behavior, and who just might not put up with it in a very violent, painful manner. In the real world, Buffy would be doing Dawn a useful service by mot putting up with crap like that.

I agree with you . Buffy wouldn't say something like that to Dawn and people forget Dawn went through a lot more then most do as a kid.
Whatever Dawn has had happen to her in her few years of actual life could not possibly compare with a life dedicated to fighting demons and vampires every night, where the likelihood of living very far past your teens is virtually nil, and you have already died twice. Maybe more people should be remembering just how good Dawn actually did have in, when compared to the sister she was yelling at.

Top Bottom