• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Outdated jokes across the Whedonverse

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Can you think of any jokes that would not fly in todays fandom environment?

First to come to mind after logging on BB today -

Firefly, Trash.

Jayne : Well, as a rule, I say girlfolk ain't to be trusted.

River : Jayne is a girl's name.

Jayne : Well, Jayne ain't a girl! If she starts in on that girl's name thing, I'll show her good and all I got man parts.

Simon : I'm trying to think of a way for you to be cruder. I just... It's not coming.

(as much as I hate gifs, its seems some people don't bother reading so heres the scene) source

Agents of Shield, Eye Spy

Skye : I called with an equally pressing question for you, my S.O... What are we supposed to do if we have to pee?

Grant Ward : [unamused] You broke protocol because you needed a bathroom break.

Skye : It was a really, really long drive and everyone's nervous.

Grant Ward : [sighs] There's a container at the bottom of the blue chest.

Skye : [to Simmons] Bottom of the blue chest.

[Simmons and goes digging and pulls out an empty water bottle. She gives Skye a look]

Skye : Not the *water bottle*.

Grant Ward : That's the one.

Skye : Did you never learn the thing where boy parts and girl parts are different, and our parts aren't penises!

Buffy, Crush
Buffy Summers : These vamps have been here for a while. They've nested.

Spike : So, you're saying they're a couple of poofters?

I bet there are a ton more, share them here :)

Btvs fan

Scooby
The entire sequence in Go Fish with the fish rape joke AND Buffy commenting how everyone will assume she's a slut because of it *shudders*
A lot of Xander's jokes, especially early seasons Xander.
Sadly it wasn't just that one episode. They kept going back to them. David Fury used to be the biggest culprit. I remember the bikers in Bargaining talking about how they split the girls in half 😳

Even in Angel S5 he has Spike saying Fred's a goer and he thinks he'll have a go with Fred 😕

There was also huge slut shaming with Faith. That Willow/Tara Scene in TYG "She's like this big cleavage slutbomb" seemed so out of place

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
Sadly it wasn't just that one episode. They kept going back to them. David Fury used to be the biggest culprit. I remember the bikers in Bargaining talking about how they split the girls in half 😳

Even in Angel S5 he has Spike saying Fred's a goer and he thinks he'll have a go with Fred 😕

There was also huge slut shaming with Faith. That Willow/Tara Scene in TYG "She's like this big cleavage slutbomb" seemed so out of place
Yeah, David Fury definitely had/has issues with this stuff. I'm not one to necessarily take offense at this kind of stuff but his rape jokes/threats always feel so jarring and out of place. 😐

The slut shaming is often weird as well. I do expect teenagers/young adults to partake in a little bit of slut shaming (sadly), but 2/3 of the time there aren't any grounds for it. In Innocence (I think), Xander calls Cordelia's outfit "trashy" even though she's dressed like a 50 something Republican under Reagan. 🤷‍♀️

thrasherpix

Scooby
Go Fish was really juvenile in more ways than one, and I can agree with much of what others will bring up and add more "problematic" dialog. I admit that a lot of it actually went over my head at first because I wasn't used to thinking of Buffy writers making jokes like that, not to that extreme.

I still kinda liked it only in that it was one of the few times it actually felt like a high school I went to (and thus agree high school is hell)...and Buffy's "whence it came" (I'm pretty sure it was this ep) and Willow interrogating Jonathan did get me to forgive this ep for it. (I could add more but that would be talking about the ep itself. Point here was that episode was surprisingly juvenile in its humor as if Beavis and Butt-head were the script doctors and it makes me roll my eyes rather than laugh as I normally do, and good gods I could see some bloggers going up in spontaneous combustion over it.)

Honoria Dedlock

Potential

Willow used to always slut-shame women she didn't like, did the same with Cordelia in multiple episodes, used to smile to her face and call her a "skanky ho" behind her back.

The slut shaming jokes haven't aged well but they are definitely in character for Willow, who deals with confrontation passive aggressively.

Btvs fan

Scooby
That wasn't meant to be a joke though but a threat, which is why Tara then proceeded to kill that demon. Rape threats are shorthand for letting the audience know when someone is truly evil.
I'm not a fan of Rape threats either. I don't find them entertaining and think they're a cheap device to say ooh look this person's evil. We as an audience already knew that Biker was a bad guy. They didn't need to do that. I know they had Angelus say to Fred he was going to rape her to death and use lots of rape threats in Angel S4 and I just thought it was cheapening him .

@Honoria Dedlock The slut shaming is really prevalent by the writers when it comes to Faith. Literally the first words to describe her on the show are Miss Slut Orama. Doug Petrie on the Bad Girls Commentary says how Angel who has been around a bit, is concerned about her and Buffy dancing. I mean WTF they are just dancing 🤷‍♂️ In Who Are You, her wanting her and Riley to try out different sexual desires is clearly wrong. Yet she is then cured by the power of Missionary sex which is good and wholesome.

Honoria Dedlock
Honoria Dedlock
It seems ridiculous now, but that's how people thought back then...and many still do. I find it ridiculous. But I live in Japan and I can guarantee if a girl like Faith danced like that in the club, peoples jaws would drop. I've seen it personally!

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
@Honoria Dedlock No, she really doesn't. Nor does she do it with Faith or Anya either. But she does eventually become friends with all of them. And then she stops trash talking them behind their backs.

Honoria Dedlock

Potential
@Honoria Dedlock No, she really doesn't. Nor does she do it with Faith or Anya either. But she does eventually become friends with all of them. And then she stops trash talking them behind their backs.
I didn't say she does it with Anya or Faith...though she does often talk ill of both behind their backs and to their faces. Because she wasn't intimidated by either.

Even though Cordelia is less physically/magically powerful than Faith and Anya, Willow was scared of her (she had been bullied by her), and you can clearly see in the season three opener Cordelia being nice to Willow and Willow quite literally fake smiling. You can watch it if you don't believe me. 😁

Cordelia is a good foil for Willow. I remember her walking up to Buffy and saying out straight "I don't like you", did the same to Angel with "just so we're straight, we are not friends."

Willow isn't usually capable of being forthright with her anger so she does a lot of the fake smiling, agreeing etc. Only when she loses her marbles completely later in the series does she become a sharp-shooter...the kind that murders people. 😂

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
Even though Cordelia is less physically/magically powerful than Faith and Anya, Willow was scared of her (she had been bullied by her), and you can clearly see in the season three opener Cordelia being nice to Willow and Willow quite literally fake smiling. You can watch it if you don't believe me. 😁
Yes, but in S3, Willow doesn't trash talk Cordelia behind her back any longer. As the season progresses, it becomes obvious that Willow doesn't hate Cordelia any more.

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
I think that's because Willow feels guilty for cheating with Xander.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yes, but in S3, Willow doesn't trash talk Cordelia behind her back any longer. As the season progresses, it becomes obvious that Willow doesn't hate Cordelia any more.
Yes, but she still did do it previously which I think was the point being made.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
Yes, but she still did do it previously which I think was the point being made.
But Cordelia knows that Willow used to resent her. I don't think she would be shocked if she learned that Willow called her a skanky hoe several months prior.

nightshade
nightshade
Does that matter, the point is Willow did call her that

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
@nightshade She says it and she probably means it. But that does not mean that Willow is insincere when she is cordial with or shows concern for Cordelia the next year. Her feelings about Cordelia changes. That's a good thing.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
That is the point, yes people do change, but the time she said it, her future actions don't change her past ones.
But there is a difference between changing your mind about someone and being insincere. Willow never pretends to like Cordelia, only to slag her off when she isn't there.

Honoria Dedlock

Potential
But there is a difference between changing your mind about someone and being insincere. Willow never pretends to like Cordelia, only to slag her off when she isn't there.
I'm not even sure Willow did change her mind about Cordelia...she only became friendly to her after she had stolen her boyfriend...some might interpret that as schadenfreude. If anything, Cordelia's continued kindness to Willow after she went to LA is proof of a level of magnanimity I never saw in Willow.

Some people deal with problems straight on, others do so passive aggressively. Willow falls into the latter category...she even demonstrates intense passive aggression against Buffy of all people!

But I suppose this is all a digression from the topic at hand. It's worth pointing out that Xander also makes a LOT of misogynistic jokes and even polices Buffy's sexual behaviour. It definitely seems prudish on a rewatch at the least, outright misogyny at worst...

Cordelia also wrote Faithr off as "slut-o-rama" as another user already said, and didn't Buffy call Drusilla a ho? Lol

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
If anything, Cordelia's continued kindness to Willow after she went to LA is proof of a level of magnanimity I never saw in Willow.
Continued kindness? She contacts Willow twice. Once for help and once for getting dirt on Harmony.

Back to dated jokes: Cordelia's phone call to Willow about Harmony shows Cordelia to be a woman-of-her-time.

Top Bottom