• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Oz and Parker

Tj2318h

Townie
HOW does Oz not know who Parker is? Oz has been on campus for years with the band and seems to know everyone, yet he does not know of Parker’s reputation?
Come on man, even Riley is aware of it!

thrasherpix

Scooby
Did anyone ask him about Parker? Did he know? (I can't remember.)

A conversation about Parker including Oz could've provided some good insight into Buffy's motivation who was ironically more worldwise with college boys (and also boys spouting poetry in another episode) in season 2 than when in college. I personally have to headcanon it as male abandonment issues subconsciously seeking out someone like Parker (I believe her insecurities in this regard did get brought up in the s4 Halloween episode combined with her fear of "they will always leave you") plus vulnerability over recent events, but I believe I read in an interview (or maybe saw as a dvd extra) that Buffy was deliberately written as "a typical college girl" (meaning dumber than she was before), though I pray that's an inaccurate stereotype (though even in this case, it's probably a stereotype created by men who forget all the women who knew better and only remember the relative few that their wiles worked on).

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
There's no reason why he should know. Just because his band played the campus enough for him to be familiar with its surroundings and some of its students, doesn't mean he had enough experience with the place to know the ins and outs of all the students. Someone like Parker doesn't seem the type to hang around someone like Oz, too busy manipulating some poor freshmen into his bed. Riley was a TA and hung out in a similar crowd, as we learn later and learn through Forrest's personality, it's far more likely for him to have heard of Parker's rep through the grapevine.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'd think a band member who plays where the prey (women) are would hear more about Parker than some uptight TA or secret military goon squad. Not that I say I find the latter unbelievable as there are plenty of guys who will brag to the rooftops and it spreads like wildfire, but I do find it more believable that Oz would know than Riley, at least barring specific circumstances we're not actually shown (but are plausible enough to reverse the probability in my book IF it happened).

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
1. UC Schools are enormous, 2. Oz doesn't seem like the gossiping type, and 3. There's no overlap. The only Dingo groupie we know of is Harmony. Parker probably considers himself better than the standard college sex fiend.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Just because Oz isn't a gossiper doesn't mean he wouldn't hear of it. He seemed aware of the people around him and their lives.

But I'm just thinking Oz has more reason to know than Riley does, when really neither should be that aware since I'm sure the Parkers are a dime a dozen. Just writer's fiat. The show isn't supposed to make sense, just lead to those cool scenes they have planned later on with minimal fuss on how they arrive at the scene. Or in this case, to show Riley as a good guy compared to a scumbag like Parker, and his crush on Buffy, so it was convenient, and therefore became part of the story.

sweetiepie

Townie
HOW does Oz not know who Parker is? Oz has been on campus for years with the band and seems to know everyone, yet he does not know of Parker’s reputation?
Come on man, even Riley is aware of it!
How does Oz not know who Parker is despite having been on campus for years?

Because Oz lives in his own head. He's basically unware of his environment.

TriBel

Scooby
I worked on a large university campus for years. With a transient population of about 35,000 people, it was the size of a small town. People lived in their own little bubble. Staff and students were often unaware of anyone outside their own department or course. In reality, there's no way even a frequent visitor would know every student. If they did know them by sight, they wouldn't know the minutia of their lives.

Besides, "not knowing" is standard fare for Sunnydale and absolutely central to the narrative. It begins with Buffy having a secret past that no-one knows of and ends with Buffy not knowing what the future holds. The population don't know of vampires; Giles isn't familiar with every demon; Sheila has only a narrow knowledge of Willow's sexuality. The gang don't know what birthday present to buy Tara because they only know her as an extension of Willow. Joyce doesn't know Buffy's the slayer and, sadly, Buffy doesn't know whether her mum knew how much she was loved. The theme of not knowing and the extent to which we don't "know" (the partiality of knowledge, the psycho-social processes by which we do know; how knowledge becomes truth; the impossibility of full knowledge of self or the other) is amplified and culminates in the cacophony of Empty Places (empty places echo the original voice). In Empty Places neither characters nor viewers know a damned thing. In BtVS, knowledge is the monster in the closet.

In short, I'd be really surprised if Oz had known Parker.

Last edited:

Priceless

Scooby
I actually think Oz might have heard of Parker. Yes it's a big campus, but Parker has a big reputation. Oz is in with the musicians and the frat boys, so he has a lot of friends in a several different groups, so I'm sure Parker's name has come up at least once. As you say, even Riley knew Parker's reputation.

Top Bottom