• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Oz on Angel S5

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
I admit it's a bit of a reach but does anyone else think Oz could have fit in the cast and story for Angel S5? Maybe he could have been brought in for helping Nina and teaching her how to suppress her inner wearwolf, like he did his own. From there, maybe he could have been useful in other ways too.

I admit the cast was rather full with Spike there so finding time for another major character would have been a challenge. But I always kind of felt Spike's death in S7 was a good way to move on from him, so maybe the idea could have replaced using Spike on Angel. I also think that Oz possessed a maturity that might have fit well with the rest of the older cast. Seth Green might not have been available, but if he had, what do you think of the idea? What kind of twists to the general main arc do you think might have happened with Oz on the team?

Btvs fan

Scooby
I admit it's a bit of a reach but does anyone else think Oz could have fit in the cast and story for Angel S5? Maybe he could have been brought in for helping Nina and teaching her how to suppress her inner wearwolf, like he did his own. From there, maybe he could have been useful in other ways too.

I admit the cast was rather full with Spike there so finding time for another major character would have been a challenge. But I always kind of felt Spike's death in S7 was a good way to move on from him, so maybe the idea could have replaced using Spike on Angel. I also think that Oz possessed a maturity that might have fit well with the rest of the older cast. Seth Green might not have been available, but if he had, what do you think of the idea? What kind of twists to the general main arc do you think might have happened with Oz on the team?
Problem with Oz was the reason Seth Green left in the first place. He felt he didnt do much but just agree with Buffy. Now if you look at many of the episodes, he's kinda right.

Even on In the Dark the Angel crossover and New Moon Rising, he's basically just a plot device for both Angel (to give him the ring and a van to drive) and Riley (to leave the Initiative) . Was anyone really wanting to see more of Nina on screen anyway ? So Oz is her teacher, who cares, what next 🤷‍♂️

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I don't think Oz would've worked in S5 specifically because Nina didn't have a big enough part. I think she was in 3 episodes? That's not enough to justify Oz's presence as any sort of tutor.
I'm not sure what dynamic Oz would've brought in to the S5 set-up on his own. I don't see him fitting into the office environment that had been established and I don't see him shaking up the status quo like Spike did. He's a bad fit for that season.

Plus S5 had too many guy characters already, and the female characters that were there were weak and somewhat superfluous (Eve, Harmony). The season needed a solid co-female lead alongside Fred.
They could've gotten rid of Lorne- who had the weakest reasoning for joining W&H and didn't do much all season- and replaced him with Faith. Head of security and liaison to slayer-central.

Though I think Joss' plans for bringing in Oz in S6 to help Nina- who would've become a more established person by that time- has more merit.
Exploring the Buffyverse werewolf types is surely ripe for storytelling. In the intervening years Oz's character could've changed so he could suit the AtS set-up a bit better. He's not 'the boyfriend' but 'the cool zen werewolf ex-band guy who has stories to tell'. Lots of possibilities.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Yeah, you make a lot of sense I think
FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Eve was a liason to the Senior Partners, so she would have to have some powers like Hamilton.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
I don't think Oz would've worked in S5 specifically because Nina didn't have a big enough part. I think she was in 3 episodes? That's not enough to justify Oz's presence as any sort of tutor.
I'm not sure what dynamic Oz would've brought in to the S5 set-up on his own. I don't see him fitting into the office environment that had been established and I don't see him shaking up the status quo like Spike did. He's a bad fit for that season.
I was thinking of an entire revision of S5, which to make sense out of using Oz, would mean expanding Nina's role too. Without Spike around, (or even also eliminating Lorne, as you suggested,) the necessary free space could have been found (to expand Nina's role and add Oz). But I agree with what you said, especially the last part. Oz definitely wouldn't have fit well at all in the office WR&H environment. He wouldn't have found any meaningful role there. I also agree with you about the idea using Faith instead of Lorne. Faith would have made a lot more sense, and she would have been a formidable source of story ideas.

But yeah, I agree with your post a lot. Oz wouldn't have fit at all into S5 as it was conceived. Nearly all of the essentials would have to change to make it work. A potential S6 role would make much more sense, as you described. I was reaching.

thetopher
thetopher
Well, its an interesting topic. Any way to get more Oz is worth considering. :)

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
I always felt that Oz's story was incomplete. I mean he was hardly mentioned after he left, so I would welcome this idea. It's not like Angel needed more support in his last battle anyway.

Top Bottom