• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Oz or Tara.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I agree with @Mr Trick what Willow did was wrong, however it's a little extreme to call it rape. Willow made Tara forget one argument, that's it. That was wrong and Willow suffers the consequences of that as Tara feels she can't trust Willow anymore. However, Willow was not mind controlling Tara, it's not like the Katrina situation with Warren. Tara consented to sleep with Willow.

spikenbuffy

"You have superpowers,that's so cool,can you fly?"
I agree with @Mr Trick what Willow did was wrong, however it's a little extreme to call it rape.
I am all for Tillow but what Willow did to Tara was a violation of her mind, it is really bad but Tara knew it and broke up with Willow when she tried to do it a second time to her and Buffy. But after that Willow got out of addiction, Tara decided to forgive Willow so I'm okay if it's Tara's choice to forgive Willow.

spikenbuffy

"You have superpowers,that's so cool,can you fly?"
However, Willow was not mind controlling Tara, it's not like the Katrina situation with Warren. Tara consented to sleep with Willow.
Though Willow tried to violate Tara 's mind (and Buffy at the time), a second time after Tara said to Willow that she would maybe leave her because of magic, Willow tried to make her forget so Tara wouldn't leave her.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Willow is a selfish hag in consideration towards Tara. I think Tara was merely used as a prized power/drug trip to feed into Willow's addiction.

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
Oz all the way.
Love that it gave Willow confidence in herself as a girl blossoming into a young woman.

Loved the chemistry between them and would have love to see them continue on in the show.

My problem with the Willow and Tara relationship when watching it the first time plus with the knowledge of what JW has said about he wanted to bring in a gay character is that it didn't feel authentic to me as he was it wasn't his original vision for the character and it only happened because Seth left the show.
Still it's just my problem with them and I understand why they were wanted and needed on a popular show like Buffy.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Oz was the best person for Willow.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
I agree with @Mr Trick what Willow did was wrong, however it's a little extreme to call it rape. Willow made Tara forget one argument, that's it. That was wrong and Willow suffers the consequences of that as Tara feels she can't trust Willow anymore. However, Willow was not mind controlling Tara, it's not like the Katrina situation with Warren. Tara consented to sleep with Willow.
She had sex with her under false pretenses after wiping her memory. She would not have consented had she remembered. One cannot minimize the seriousness of what is basically a magical roofie.

If someone had drugged you after a serious argument so as to induce memory loss and facilitate sex, would you consider that consensual sex?

As my husband says, if you mess with someone's mind like that, it is mental rape - an extreme violation. Mind wiping someone without their informed approval and consent is amoral and probably criminal. As a medical profesional, I learned that performing treatment on a patient without their consent is assault. And that includes beneficial treatment.

Mindwiping is not inherently beneficial as our memories are who we are. That is why dementia is so tragic and amnesia so damaging to a person's life.

The only exception to consent to treat is life threatening situations where they cannot consent and no one can consent on their behalf. An advance directive refusing consent to treatment would prevent even CPR.

No way Tara would consent to an unnecessary, risky procedure. Is performing non-consensual brain alterations not assault? Is sexual intercourse facilitated after this not also assault?

Most rapes are not performed by strangers in trenchcoats. They occur for example when an adult grooms a child into acquiescence or someone gets their partner so drunk they cannot give meaningful consent.

Tara could not consent. Willow wiped her memory at least twice that we saw. From what Dawn said about their arguments, it seems she did it several times.

What Willow did might not be legally rape - since magic isn't real, the answer is going to remain equivocal. but a good case can be made for Willow's act being similar to getting someone blackout drunk or roofieing them. People are prosecuted for that.

Last edited:

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
She had sex with her under false pretenses after wiping her memory. She would not have consented had she remembered. One cannot minimize the seriousness of what is basically a magical roofie.
The roofie analogy doesn't work for me since roofies put people into a state of near unconsciousness where they physically can't consent. Willow never put Tara in that kind of state.

A more accurate analogy would be a wife tells her husband she'll leave him if he ever has an affair. Unbeknownst to her, the husband is having an affair but doesn't tell her about it. The wife then sleeps with her husband.

Would you call that rape? After all, if the wife knew about the affair then she wouldn't sleep with her husband. He hasn't told her about the affair therefore she can't give "informed" consent.

If someone had drugged you after a serious argument so as to induce memory loss and facilitate sex, would you consider that consensual sex?
Drugging someone is a lot different than making someone forget an argument.

Cordelia was mad at Angel, he bought her clothes and she immediately forgot their argument because of the distraction. If they then slept together, would that be rape because his actions (giving her clothes) made her forget that she was mad at him?

Some people in real life can have an argument then forget what they were even arguing about. If they then sleep together is that rape if one person remembers what they were arguing about but the other doesn't?

I was always under the impression that Tara remembered what they were arguing about once she realised what Willow had done.

As my husband says, if you mess with someone's mind like that, it is mental rape - an extreme violation. Mind wiping someone without their informed approval and consent is amoral and probably criminal. As a medical profesional, I learned that performing treatment on a patient without their consent is assault. And that includes beneficial treatment.
Stabbing someon with a needle or treating them with medication without consent is assault because it has a physical effect. Drugging someone has a physical effect.

What Willow did was a violation of Tara's trust, not her body. If you still maintain that Willow mind-raped Tara, then essentially Season 5 is about the entire cast of characters being mind-raped without consent to accommodate Dawn's existence and nobody calls Joss up on that. By your logic, Season 5 should be the most reviled season and Dawn is a terrible character as she is the cause of that mind-rape.

No way Tara would consent to an unnecessary, risky procedure. Is performing non-consensual brain alterations not assault? Is sexual intercourse facilitated after this not also assault?
By that logic, the Initiative assaulted Spike by putting a chip in his brain that actually has life changing consequences for him. Funny how nobody sees that as a major issue.

Also, you're essentially comparing what Willow did with that of what Warren did to Katrina and it's nowhere in the ball park of that.

Most rapes are not performed by strangers in trenchcoats. They occur for example when an adult grooms a child into acquiescence or someone gets their partner so drunk they cannot give meaningful consent.
These are irrelevant examples and have no baring on the discussion at hand. Willow did not put Tara in a state of extreme drunkenness that she couldn't consent, nor is Tara a child who doesn't know any better.

Tara could not consent. Willow wiped her memory at least twice that we saw. From what Dawn said about their arguments, it seems she did it several times.
Willow only wiped Tara's mind the once, the second time was intended for Buffy only but all the scoobies got caught that time, including Willow herself, not just Tara. The argument Dawn brought up was the one Willow wiped Tara's mind of. Tara left Willow because she felt she couldn't trust her anymore because she couldn't trust that Willow hadn't wiped her mind more than once, not that Willow actually did wipe her mind more than once

Last edited:
FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
This is how Willow is a shitty person towards Tara.
DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
I actually DO think that what the initiative did to Spike was wrong and a violation. It was only because of Buffy and Spike's strength of character that it had positive consequences. The Initiative violated a lot of people. Oz comes to mind...

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."

Mindwiping is not inherently beneficial as our memories are who we are. That is why dementia is so tragic and amnesia so damaging to a person's life.

The only exception to consent to treat is life threatening situations where they cannot consent and no one can consent on their behalf. An advance directive refusing consent to treatment would prevent even CPR.

What Willow did might not be legally rape - since magic isn't real, the answer is going to remain equivocal. but a good case can be made for Willow's act being similar to getting someone blackout drunk or roofieing them. People are prosecuted for that.
You hit the nail on the head by stating the facts. What WIllow did to Tara was rape.

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
Thank you for your support. As a former passionate supporter of their relationship, it pained me to come to that conclusion, because they'd been so wonderful. Until Willow's emotional violation.

DagonSphere

Potential
I like both, why does it have to be either or. What I love about Oz is that he was the first to really acknowledge how amazing Willow is and that he was mostly really chill in their relationship, aside from how it ended. Sadly that also meant that they never really gave him much development. As for Tara, I like how her journey somewhat mirrors Willow's journey, going from shy, insecure and mousy to a much more confident woman and it was a shame that she was killed just when she really started developing as a character and building a friendship with Buffy that was not based on being Willow's girlfriend.

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
This is a tough question to answer. Honestly, Oz is my preferred character but Willow and Tara is my preferred couple if that makes sense. Oz felt more real to me because he had flaws (big one being he might turn into a wolf and kill you) and he felt like a very genuine, believable guy. I knew plenty of people like Oz when I was at school. Tara for me was too perfect. Apart from making the demons invisible in Family she does absolutely nothing wrong in the eyes of the other characters (and even there they forgive her in a heartbeat). Tara always seemed to do the right thing, which is unbelievable and unrealistic.

That said, Willow and Tara are the better fit and watching them grow is really lovely. It's a shame that Willow ruins it in Season 6 by manipulating someone she claims to love. But back in late Season 4, I was ready to accept the two of them as an item and let Oz get on with his life. The way Oz handles it is really nice as well; he just reluctantly accepts it by the end of New Moon Rising and doesn't intervene anymore.

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
I wish we'd gotten to know Tara more before she was killed off and became a plot device instead of a person. I agree about Oz and all you said.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
@DeepBlueJoy what Willow did to Tara is the exact same thing Katherine did to Stefan in The Vampire Diaries. If you selfishly violate the person you claim to love, then you don't really love them. I don't buy Willow turning evil to avenge Tara's death. If Xander or Oz died, then it would make better sense. I begrudge the writers for not doing more with Oz's character because that is what made Seth leave in the first place. I also begrudge the fact that Oz was only brought up by Xander and no one else later on, and that Willow labeled herself as a lesbian regardless of her holding onto the possibility of getting back together with Oz if she happened to be in Istanbul.

Oz has dimensions and a personality whereas Tara doesn't. Tara is more of a Captain Cardboard than Riley. Her last words to Willow basically sums up her bland personality. Riley has a better personality and his last words on the show had more depth than Tara's.

If this wasn't a lesbian relationship, people would jump off the bandwagon.

telperion66

Potential
I know they had to write Seth Green out of the season arc because he didn't want to be involved anymore.

However, in an ideal world, I would have had Willow stay with Oz, and have Tara part of some kind of love triangle where Willow ultimately chooses to stay with Oz - but there could have been some interesting writing/episodes from that storyline/Oz being a werewolf etc.

Tara, for me, supports the Scoobies to a certain level, but I much preferred Oz with Willow ultimately.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I don't buy Willow turning evil to avenge Tara's death. If Xander or Oz died, then it would make better sense.
I wouldn't buy Willow turning dark over Oz. She'd be hurt for sure over his death, maybe become despondent and depressed like she was over his departure but I don't think she quite connected with him as much as she did with Tara. For example, Willow was completely out of her depth when Oz and Veruca were discussing amps. Whilst Willow shouldn't have to know everything about amps and guitars and all that, music is Oz's passion, and that conversation is what provoked Willow's jealousy over Veruca because she just seemed to "get" Oz and bond with him in a way Willow couldn't. Compare this to Tara where Willow was the only one to understand and laugh at her insect reflection joke. The two also share a love of magic where Tara encouraged Willow to explore it more (problematic in hindsight if magic is supposed to be a metaphor for drugs like in Season 6. In Season 4 it was a metaphor for the growing relationship). Willow and Tara "get" each other and can bond in a way that Willow and Oz couldn't.

Whilst I agree that Xander's death would be the one Willow would most likely turn dark over, he's also the only one who would be able to talk her down which he can't do if he's dead. Buffy doesn't have that lifelong friendship with Willow that Xander has, and though there are probably things that Willow can talk to Buffy about that she can't say to Xander, Buffy doesn't have as much of a bond with Willow as Xander does because Xander has know Willow a decade longer than Buffy.

I begrudge the writers for not doing more with Oz's character because that is what made Seth leave in the first place. I also begrudge the fact that Oz was only brought up by Xander and no one else later on, and that Willow labeled herself as a lesbian regardless of her holding onto the possibility of getting back together with Oz if she happened to be in Istanbul.
Willow was bisexual, not a lesbian, hence the genuine romantic feelings for Oz and Xander (plus I think it was mentioned somewhere that she fancied Giles) alongside Tara and (for no logical reason whatsoever) Kennedy. Even Vampire!Willow was bisexual because she had a romantic relationship with Vampire!Xander.

I think the reason why the show kept pushing the "Willow is gay now" is because it was so hard to get a same-sex relationship on screen (they weren't even allowed to show Willow or Tara kissing in Season 4), they didn't want to confuse the audience by having Willow seemingly go back to being "straight" after Tara, especially given the fact that some homophobic dickheads view homosexuality as an "infectious disease" and it might look like Willow was "cured" after her lesbian lover died. It's the only reason Killow happened.

Oz has dimensions and a personality whereas Tara doesn't. Tara is more of a Captain Cardboard than Riley. Her last words to Willow basically sums up her bland personality. Riley has a better personality and his last words on the show had more depth than Tara's.
Riley is not the nice wholesome guy that the show like to make him out to be.

I found Oz kind of boring. He didn't do anything to annoy me but he didn't do anything to make me love his character either, he was just.....there. His cameo in Halloween feels so cringey to me.

Tara had potential that was never quite reached. We saw glimpses of it when she was teasing Spike at Buffy's party in Season 6 and that's the Tara I wanted to see, the one with the sense of humour, not the one constantly nagging Willow. I think the show overplayed Tara's "little mouse" tendencies. She's come from an abusive background (the way her brother jumps to "do as we say or I'll beat you down" is a little too quick if that wasn't the case) but she says she used to rebel against her father and stay out all night after her mother's death. I don't see the Tara of Season 4 doing that.

One thing that Oz does have over Tara is that he didn't engage in baby talk with Willow.

If this wasn't a lesbian relationship, people would jump off the bandwagon.
I disagree. Killow was a lesbian relationship and people hated Kennedy.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
Oz has a deep personality that outweighs Tara though. He had better humor than Tara. I hardly got Tara's humor except when she asked about Spike's "cramp".

If Seth would've stayed, Oz's relationship with Willow would have been long enough for her to go over the deep end.

Riley is good as an individual character. It is just that he and Buffy couldn't work out.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Oz has a deep personality that outweighs Tara though. He had better humor than Tara. I hardly got Tara's humor except when she asked about Spike's "cramp".
That's what I mean. Tara in the party episode was great, I wanted to see more of that Tara. Given her background, she should have the strength of character she displayed in that episode which doesn't mean she has to be like Faith, but where she does have a little more confidence. She's a survivor and I think that should've hardened her a little.

If Seth would've stayed, Oz's relationship with Willow would have been long enough for her to go over the deep end.
True, but again I don't think they had that ability to bond on the same level that Willow and Tara had. It's not just about magic vs music, but also academics- something which Willow also enjoys. Oz is academically lazy, he supposedly "tests well" hence why only he and Willow were selected for that elite company in What's my Line? Part 1, yet he was held back a year and didn't bother going to summer school. He gets into UC Sunnydale which Xander didn't, yet drops out before re-signing up then dropping out again. That is two major things about Oz that conflict with Willow.

Whilst Willow and Oz could've probably lasted longer than they did, I think their relationship always had a limited shelf-life, I doubt it would've lasted much longer than Season 4.

Also if Oz had stayed, Xander would be gay so Xanya never would've happened.

Riley is good as an individual character. It is just that he and Buffy couldn't work out.
I liked Riley in The Freshman especially his "So are you girls taking lntro Psych, or do you just want me dead?" and "I've forgotten my manners in all the concussion" lines. However, his behaviour in Season 5 retroactively suggests that what we saw of him in Season 4 was a mask and his less than stellar Season 4 behaviour is actually the mask starting to slip. If a guy behaves in a relationship the way Riley does with Buffy, then he wasn't such a great guy to begin with. Riley likes to be the dominant one in the relationship in terms of power. In Season 4, he had that power over Buffy, both as a captain at the initiative and as the TA in Buffy's class. However, one the Initiative fell apart and Buffy dropped out to look after Joyce, that's when Riley's behaviour took a turn for the worse because he didn't have control. He didn't want to be operated on even though not doing so would've killed him because he didn't want to be even weaker than Buffy. He starts obsessing over her "needing" him (because if you need something, you won't get rid of it) and his ultimatum to Buffy is basically "give me a reason to stay or it's your fault if I leave".

It's good that Buffy didn't catch the helicopter because if she did then she would be trapped in the Briley relationship forever as Riley would pull out the "I gave up re-joining the military for you" excuse which would make Buffy feel like she owes him to make the relationship work.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
The reason why Riley was what he was in Season 5 was so Spuffy would sweep in. It is just he and Buffy wouldn't worked out. He needed someone else in his personality range which is why he ended up with Sam. Plus Angel set the bar too high, and Buffy remained in love with him regardless of Riley and Spike. We see Riley and Spike trying to measure up to Angel.

I don't count Oz as being academically lazy taken account of how intelligent and deep he is. I just think he wanted to be super senior with Willow.

We don't know if Oz went to college elsewhere.

Oz and Willow will always love each other. It's just that the timing was off for them.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The reason why Riley was what he was in Season 5 was so Spuffy would sweep in. It is just he and Buffy wouldn't worked out. He needed someone else in his personality range which is why he ended up with Sam. Plus Angel set the bar too high, and Buffy remained in love with him regardless of Riley and Spike. We see Riley and Spike trying to measure up to Angel.
Riley was showing shades of his Season 5 behaviour in Season 4. Spuffy didn't become a thing until Season 6, there wouldn't be any need to show Riley's bad behaviour that early. Drusilla was already established as the love of Spike's life so she had to be taken out by Spuffy. Riley wasn't at that level because Angel was already established as the love of Buffy's life and he wasn't such an issue because he had his own show.

Spike wasn't Riley's issue, Buffy was. He couldn't deal with her slayer side.

I don't count Oz as being academically lazy taken account of how intelligent and deep he is. I just think he wanted to be super senior with Willow.
They needed SG on the show but it's still a stupid decision on the character's part.

We don't know if Oz went to college elsewhere.
He didn't.

Oz and Willow will always love each other. It's just that the timing was off for them.
If they'd met in college rather than high school then maybe.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
You don't know for sure if Oz went to college elsewhere. You CANNOT assume!!!

Anf Riley is a good guy on his own. I've watched this show a hundreds of times and can see that Riley had to be thrown under the bus IN ORDER FOR SPUFFY TO HAPPEN!! And Spuffy is a sh*t load more abusive than Biley. At least Riley had the decency to leave when he sensed that the relationship isn't going to work out whereas Spike didn't. Spike got himself a soul for selfish reasons and couldn't leave Buffy alone after the AR. He even thought he was owed everything because of that and closing the Hellmouth. I never got that sense of entitlement from Riley. It was just that his needs weren't met and he sensed his relationship with Buffy wasn't going to last, so he gave her a choice rather than forcing his existence onto her like the way Spike did. Plus Riley then met a woman who was right for him.

Anyways, at the end of the day Woz is the healthier choice, and I prefer to kiss it's ass than Tillow's relationship when Willow was her absolute worst. I didn't know that raping and violating someone was love, which makes me wanna slap Dawn in Seeing Red because she doesn't understand how relationships work and go: shipping Spuffy and Tillow. Angel left for selfless reasons because he was looking out for Buffy's best interests and to protect her. The way Spike acted before taking off to Africa was rude. Boy am I going off topic. Oz left Willow to protect her and didn't act like a pri*k about it. Also Willow was at her best with him.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
You don't know for sure if Oz went to college elsewhere. You CANNOT assume!!!
He went to Tibet after Wild at Heart then went back to Tibet after New Moon Rising.

Anf Riley is a good guy on his own. I've watched this show a hundreds of times and can see that Riley had to be thrown under the bus IN ORDER FOR SPUFFY TO HAPPEN!!
I disagree to an extent. Whereas Drusilla was set up to be the love of Spike's life from the word go and their relationship lasted 110+ years before Season 2, I think it was made clear that Buffy still had feelings for Angel. Sprusilla had to be completely taken down in order for Spuffy to fly because of the history, Briley didn't need that, at best Spuffy just gave it a small push.

Riley is not as wholesome as the show likes to make out he is. Just watch his behaviour in The Yoko Factor. At first you think it's a little OOC for him, but when you then take his season 5 behaviour into account, it looks more like his nice guy mask starting to slip. He is extremely possessive over Buffy, trying to prevent her from seeing Angel after immediately jumping to the conclusion that she slept with Angel in LA despite her giving him no reason to think that. He then tries to justify his behaviour with a lousy "I'm so in love with you I can't think straight".

And Spuffy is a sh*t load more abusive than Biley.
I hate Spuffy, that's no secret. However, at least it is HONEST about how unhealthy it is for both participants. Buffy CHOOSES to continue to engage in it even though she KNOWS it's not good for her.

Briley likes to PRETEND it's this wholesome relationship. Xander even calls Riley "the one that comes along once in a lifetime". However, there are several red flags in that relationship in terms of Riley's behaviour and Buffy is kind of sleepwalking her way through it, not seeing the danger signs.

At least Riley had the decency to leave when he sensed that the relationship isn't going to work out whereas Spike didn't. Spike got himself a soul for selfish reasons and couldn't leave Buffy alone after the AR. He even thought he was owed everything because of that and closing the Hellmouth. I never got that sense of entitlement from Riley. It was just that his needs weren't met and he sensed his relationship with Buffy wasn't going to last, so he gave her a choice rather than forcing his existence onto her like the way Spike did. Plus Riley then met a woman who was right for him.
Riley gave Buffy an ULTIMATUM. Basically it was "Give me a reason to stay or it's your fault if I leave". Note how Riley only give Buffy this so called "choice" AFTER she calls him out on his shitty behaviour. He blames her for him using the vampire whores because he wanted to "even the score" after Buffy "let" Dracula bite her (despite Buffy making it very clear that it was against her will) and that they made him feel "needed" which Buffy didn't.

Riley was happy with Sam because he didn't feel emasculated by her whereas he did with Buffy. Riley couldn't deal with Buffy being the slayer. That's not Buffy's fault and the crux of the issue seems to lie within the Briley ship. However, that doesn't excuse Riley's bad behaviour nor deny its existence. Also worth noting is that Riley is in charge with Sam due to their positions. The problems with Briley didn't start until Riley had lost his position of power over Buffy. If Riley was to lose his position of power over Sam (eg she got promoted to a higher position than him) then there is nothing to say that he wouldn't start displaying the same behaviour towards her as he did to Buffy (though maybe to a lesser extreme).

Anyways, at the end of the day Woz is the healthier choice, and I prefer to kiss it's ass than Tillow's relationship when Willow was her absolute worst. I didn't know that raping and violating someone was love, which makes me wanna slap Dawn in Seeing Red because she doesn't understand how relationships work and go: shipping Spuffy and Tillow. Angel left for selfless reasons because he was looking out for Buffy's best interests and to protect her. The way Spike acted before taking off to Africa was rude. Boy am I going off topic. Oz left Willow to protect her and didn't act like a pri*k about it. Also Willow was at her best with him.
Willow didn't rape Tara. She removed Tara's memory of an argument, not Tara's ability to consent. Whilst it was a violation of Tara's trust, it was not a violation of Tara's body.

Spuffy was a mess and Buffy has to take some responsibility for that. Not for the AR because that is all on Spike, but Buffy was giving out mixed messages left right and centre eg telling him she never wanted to see him again then next moment seeking him out for sex. The problem with Spuffy was that there were no clear boundaries so there is a sense of inevitability about the AR, even though it was a horrible choice of scene to use to push Spike to get his soul and could've backfired spectacularly if the audience lost all sympathy for the character (sympathy the writers were relying on in the next season). It's a testament to JM's acting ability that Spike still retained some likability given that the writing was doing the character no favours.

As I've said before, there's nothing wrong with Oz but there's nothing particularly interesting about him either. He's just...there.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Can we keep this on Tara and Oz please and leave the other relationships out of the discussion, Bangel, Briley and Spuffy especially.

Top Bottom