1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Oz part of the gang

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Purplemess317, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Purplemess317

Purplemess317 Townie

Even though willow moved on with Tara who I'm a huge fan of by the way, do you guys feel it would've been possible to have oz continue on the show and still be part of the scoobie gang.. Oz was awesome a werewolf and he had cool hair.... I know they could have kept him around somehow... thoughts anyone?

2. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Didn't he get written out because Seth wanted out of the show?

Other than that I guess there would be no reason why he couldn't still be around the gang.....even if it was just to pop every now & again to help out.
    Or if they didn't have a role for him in Buffy he could easily have gone & joined Angels crew......There was definitely a need for someone with cool hair there.... ;)

Puppet likes this.
  3. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but I didn't miss Oz because he didn't really serve a role within the gang unlike Buffy, Willow, Xander and Giles. Even Cordy served a role, as did Spike, Tara and Anya. Oz just seemed to be there as Willow's boyfriend and the werewolf aspect was created in an attempt to make him more relevant.

He could probably be removed from the majority of episodes he's in and it wouldn't change the episode one bit (the werewolf episodes don't count). The only episode where Oz was needed was the season 4 episode "New Moon Rising".

Puppet and Purplemess317 like this.
  4. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    I love Oz, but he never felt like part of the scoobies to me. He just happened to be there. He was just Willow's boyfriend, and unlike Tara, who has a role in the scoobies, he just didn't fit in the gang.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 29, 2017 ---
    Exactly my point in here. He was just the Werewolf guy with funny lines and cool hair and nails.

5. Purplemess317

Purplemess317 Townie

I guess I see your point both of you.... But with all the seriousness of the show he was kind of like breathe of fresh air... He could of been useful had they allowed him to be.... maybe make him and xander best friends theres an idea lol

6. Zenseem

Black Thorn
    I already love him as just the "just happened to be there" guy, imagine if they had allowed him to add more to the story. He could've been my favorite character if they used him properly.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 29, 2017 ---
    I really liked him on Angel and it was just one episode. He could've fit better in Angel Investigations than with the scoobies. But the thing is that Seth Green wanted to bail. Too bad. He's was such a good character.

7. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I love Oz! I just wish his story in season 4 wasn't rushed. He still could have left in New Moon Rising, but I wanted him to return in the finale battle. Werewolf vs Turok Han! I also wanted to see him pop up in Angel season 5 since they introduced Nina the werewolf. I don't know that I'd want Oz to stick around Sunnydale after season 4 though. I like the he leaves and has his own journey. They could have kept him around town, sure and he could have helped out but then he's just hanging around town not doing much, and that didn't work for Xander in season 4.

Zenseem likes this.
  8. Slayrunt

Slayrunt Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?

good question. im also a tara lover who liked Oz but i dont know where a future story for him would have gone. and i guess in an ideal world all my scoobies would all be together and no one would die or leave ever lol.

Puppet likes this.
  9. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    I love Oz, and I always missed him on the show and definitely wish he had shown up again, especially in season 7. Personally he always felt like an important part of the scoobies to me. When Cordelia and him joined is when I really felt the group was complete, and honestly I never felt that way again, even with Tara and Anya. And if he had stayed past season 4, I think him dealing with his werewolfness and his friendships with Buffy and Xander would have been really interesting.

NeonNightLight and Fuffy Baith like this.
  10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I think Oz could have still been on the show with Tara involved, but they would have had to have moved in a different direction with his character. Think there was more to explore with his Werewolf side. As much as I enjoyed Oz and Green's performance. It is true that he only really seemed to have a connection to Willow and so much the other Scoobies. Over time Tara did have a deeper bond with them. When you think about how she's there for Buffy in S6 and also Dawn.

DeadlyDuo and Zenseem like this.
  11. Fuffy Baith

Sineya
    Oz did have sort of a friendship with Xander. They team up in Gingerbread,even though they failed. And they were shown having conversations with each other. I love when Oz volunteered to go patrol with Buffy in Living Conditions, plus he was a werewolf and in a band. Tara didn't have much else outside of Willow. A few get moments with Buffy and Anya. I wish the show would have built up a friendship between Tara and Anya to set them a part from their significant others.

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  12. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I like the stuff with Xander, but I don't see much more outside of that. To me Tara has a more emotional connection with the likes of Buffy and Dawn. I'd even call her and Buffy friends. I never believed that with Oz.

DeadlyDuo and Zenseem like this.
  13. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    I disagree, Buffy and Oz were definitely friends. There are several scenes where they talk one on one, and Oz tries to help Buffy or something. In general both Oz and Tara were there for Willow, but they were both friends with other members of the group, I wouldn't say one more than the other.

Fuffy Baith: I agree
  14. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Heh, I love where Oz tells Buffy that the bench Buffy just destroyed seemed a little shifty. :D

IIRC, that's the same episode (with the demonic roommate in college) in which Oz and Buffy help Giles capture a seemingly insane Buffy.

Puppet likes this.
  15. Zenseem

Black Thorn
    Their interaction in Living Conditions is pretty fun to watch but it was one of the few times they interact on-screen.

16. Fuffy Baith

Sineya
    Well Oz did have a life outside of the scooby gang, which I find benefits his character. And it's not really until season 6 that we see Tara's connection with Dawn and Buffy. That's about the same amount of time that Oz was around, and we don't know how season 4 would have played out if Seth Green had stayed on, he could have connected more with Buffy and Xander (Dawn wasn't around then). I still think Oz is just as involved as a Scooby as Tara. They bring different traits but ultimately are just there to be the boyfriend/girlfriend of Willow. I always prefer Oz and always will, but I'm fine with him not sticking around.

Monkey Pants likes this.
  17. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

There are probably other examples with Tara just can't think of them off the top of my head. I like that they made a thing out of her disconnection with the Scoobies in Family too. This has nothing to do with Oz and Tara as characters. I like both of them. But with Oz it feels more like he is providing commentary from a outside prospective on the group and what is happening. Tara feels more tied to them at least over time. Both feel like legit members of the Scoobies, but Oz a little less so i think.

Puppet, DeadlyDuo and Fuffy Baith like this.
  18. Taaroko

Taaroko Gunner of the USS Buffy/Angel

I think Oz kept the Scoobies grounded. He was also comic relief, but in a very different way than Xander. Whenever things got intense, he'd lighten them with absurd understatement. "Hey did everybody see that guy just turn to dust?" "Uh...arm." "Our lives are...different from other people's." "We attack the Mayor with hummus." Very little ruffles him, which is reassuring, but when he does get ruffled, it the tone immediately gets dialed up to eleven, which is awesome. If he'd stayed, they could've played up his music world connections as a form of streetsmarts for him to get information related to monsters of the week. And there definitely could have been a serious arc for him with learning to control his wolf side, which would have enabled him to help fight demons in a more active way. Keeping Oz interesting and serving a purpose wouldn't have been difficult had Seth Green wanted to stick around. But then, you know, it probably would've led to Oz being the one to die in "Seeing Red." As much as I like Tara, I would've been much more upset if Oz had been killed off.

19. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Townie

I once called Oz the coolest character in the whole Buffyverse. So stable, so laid back. I like in Earshot how Buffy can hear everyone's thoughts, and Oz is sitting there working out the philosophy. "If Buffy can hear my thoughts, I don't exist. Whoa." Oz was great.

20. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I think if Oz stayed around, there's a chance he'd connect with characters other than the unavailable Willow. I can see Oz and Giles becoming friends over shared taste in music. Xander/Oz were already friends and it'll be nice for Xander to have another guy in the group - Giles is obviously not interested in hanging out with Xander.

Zenseem and Fuffy Baith like this.