• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Parker instead of Riley?

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Had Parker not left post sex but actually made a relationship with Buffy would you have preferred him to Riley?

Black Thorn
I preferred Parker period. Buffy was being a little drama queen and blowing everything out of proportion.

fauxindigo
fauxindigo
Parker is a piece of $hit. Buffy naively trusted him and he simply used her for sex. Riley is a class act.
HoppyHippy
HoppyHippy
Oh thankfk for you!

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
Do you mean if Parker was the guy he presented himself to be? Maybe... I've certainly have more in common with that kind of a person than I have with Riley. That being said, Riley is pretty great. Sometimes his dialogue is a little silly. Sometimes he gets a little insecure about his manliness and stuff. However, he is a good person that cares about the people around him and appears to have the capacity to change. Parker is scum.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
No, because he looks too much like Xander and that'd be more eyebrows than I can handle on one show. :p

I think that Parker serves a great purpose on the show so I'm going to say no more seriously as well. Do I think he's scum? No. Do I think people hate him way too much? Absolutely. Should he have stuck around? No... I think Riley works better every time I re-watch the show. He was the kind of guy Buffy needed at the time. The kind of relationship she needed to try on for size. Just like she needed that experience with Parker just as he was.

brinkster130
brinkster130
I was just coming to post about his large eyebrows lol
Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
There is no such thing as TOO MUCH eyebrow on one show....

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Parker was a stereotypical college guy for the first few episodes, and that was fine. He lied, but he was no worse than many others. However, comparing women to toilet seats is not okay. That crossed the line from normal douchebag to awful douchebag. And I was very happy Riley punched him out of the picture.

So even though I am not the biggest Riley fan, it had to be him.

badsister

Angel's Avenger
He had more dimension than Riley and he was like in the show for what 15 minutes in total? He is a player alright, but IDK I think that could have been easily turned around by writers and make it look plausible. He gets a lot of hate he doesn't really deserve, he is a classic product of the society he lives in and he didn't make any promises after all, but as it was said he served his purpose.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
He NEVER compared women to toilet seats!
Yes, he absolutely did.
"You know the difference between a freshman girl and a toilet seat? A toilet seat doesn't follow you around after you use it." That's comparing freshman women to toilet seats, and it's a flat out awful thing to say. Not to mention the fact that he should just tell Forrest to not worry about it . (Especially because there was no indication they were even friends) Any sympathy I had for him dissipated when he said that.

Black Thorn
Yes, he absolutely did.
"You know the difference between a freshman girl and a toilet seat?
You said it yourself. There is a difference between saying it of a freshmen girl and saying it of women. Not all women are freshmen girls. So, no, he never compare women to toilet seats.

Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
Okay. So freshman women. Not all women but some women. Doesn't change my point, but I see what you're saying
MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
I never thought I would see @Spanky using the term Not all women!

joseph

Tara & Willow Forever.
if Parker was not such an idiot would have preferred him , to riley but the you know how Josh Whedon minds works parker would have been killed.

Difficult to say without knowing what he would have been like as a different character. The problem is he did look just like another random jock from the start so I'm not sure he would have been much more engaging than Riley if any. Think the actor is a little better, but not much.

SES SA

Potential
Parker didn't want a relationship, he wanted to go Tinder crazy before that was a thing. Makes a relationship with Buffy impractical. I didn't like Riley but I don't think I would have preferred Parker.

badsister
badsister
he's the original f*ckboy...
Parker was a No1 A/hole, he used vulnerable girls , how dare he compare Buffy with a toilet seat....three things you can never forgive Riley for One leaving Buffy Two the plastic stake and Three not giving Parker a good beating for talking about Buffy that way....certainly once they were dating , me in Riley shoes I would have had a little word late one night

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Hell no. Parker's character was great for what it was; we didn't need more of his floppy hair and bushy brows.

Taake
Taake
I wish I could answer this with a GIF of Parker waggling his brows!

Mrs Gordo

We fight termites wherever they may roam!
Black Thorn
Parker was just misunderstood. Everyone judges him on his eyebrows and they don't give him a shot. And sure he is an assh*le who preys on picking up women by pretending be interested in a sincere and serious relationship with them and then dumps them unceremoniously and making them feel like idiots when they thought he actually wanted a serious relationship.... wait where was I going with this? Oh yeah... everyone judges him on his eyebrows.

In all seriousness, I think Parker might be a psychopath. So ummm no I'm ok with Riley.

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
Parker was supposed to be the typical college douchebag. He succeeded at that. Riley was supposed to be the Tim-nice-but-dim alternative. Success on that part too. Buffy needed to experience douchebag. Arguably Riley could have played the douchebag and Parker the nice guy, but he does look a lot like Xander. Having the all-American tanned blond guy works more for the nice guy character.

I don't think Parker would've worked as Buffy's boyfriend, not least because he has no supernatural connection to him. Buffy would be back in the metaphorical closet as the slayer. At least with Riley, he's aware of the supernatural so Buffy doesn't have to hide being the slayer from him, whereas with Parker he wouldn't know a vampire if two of them stood in front of him holding up a guy with a massive bitemark on his neck.

Parker limits Buffy, Riley gives her a taste of a normal relationship without the baggage of having to pretend she's not the slayer.

Guys who are a player don't bother me as long as they're not lying, manipulative jerks about it. That is, if he was a bit more like Faith, he'd still get condemnation, but not by me. It's his dishonesty (and his disrespect) that really turn me against the character...still, if he'd stuck with Buffy then he'd end up being another Ms. Calendar (dead).

I also didn't like that Buffy didn't see through him. She's met his kind before (like at the start of Go Fish, she ended up ramming his head against the steering wheel) and been to a college party that turned into a would-be cult sacrifice. Though she's not anywhere as smart as Willow, she is way better at Willow when it comes to reading people and combined with her past experiences (and knowing she'd have to be on her toes), she should've seen through Parker. I find it ironic that it's Willow that sees through him instead of Buffy.

If it weren't for Oz (perhaps the time in between Oz and Tara) then they could've have Parker play Willow instead with Buffy confronting Parker, but story-wise (as opposed to character-wise) it flows better the way it is.

In any case, I prefer Riley. I do get a similar feeling about him as I do Spike in season 7 in that he seems to be stealing the show, but it remains at tolerable levels, and we still get plenty of the Core Four. I get the feeling that Riley was thought up specifically as a "normal boyfriend" for Buffy who could be easily integrated into the Scoobies (much as Tara was for Willow, and even Anya for Xander, though Anya was also to replace Cordelia as the comedic snarky one) with all else details they thought up along the way as they needed them (so not well thought out), and that detracted from the new characters who could've been a lot more interesting than they were. But shipping is like fan service, it's required, no matter how much it detracts from the main characters and stories.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
Parker as a character if played by a different actor maybe. I never liked the guy who played him. Didn’t think he was attractive in the least and I don’t think he had the charisma to carry a leading male role. At least Marc Blucas was tall and built. Buffy’s obsession with him and willingness to jump into bed with him so soon never made any sense to me cause he had zero sex appeal. Her mooning over him for what seemed like forever afterwards didn’t feel earned for someone so unappealing. I feel like if Parker was played by someone who was more sexy ( like Christian Kane even ) it would have made more sense. Hell vampire Xander was more interesting lol

Top Bottom