1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Passion Of The Nerd

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by thetopher, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

The Choices review is up and its excellent. I really feel this is a sleeper hit of the season. Fully agree with POTN's points on Faith/The Mayor and the growth of Willow during the episode (her scene with Faith is one of the highlights of S3 IMO). Not to mention a nicely placed Naked Gun reference! What more could you want?:p

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  2. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Perhaps Buffy's actions are instinctive therefore she doesn't need to think about what she's going to do, she just does it, so the demon couldn't read her thoughts?

3. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Nice review of the Prom. Think he made a very good point about Buffy's reactions to the relationship with Angel feeling out of place with the events of the season and with the previous season. The melodrama of the episode does bother me a bit, though it is powerful all the same. And the ending is great. Loved the outtake too. I've listenered to that version of Wild Horses so many times thanks to Buffy:p

Fuffy Baith and Guy like this.
  4. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    Just watched the Graduation Day 1 video - super interesting stuff! I liked the comparison to Faith's jump to her cliff story with the Mayor.

Guy and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  5. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    The 2nd was a lovely celebration of season 3. Totally agree on it being an abundance of riches. Season 3 felt like it could have had about 6 episodes more to expand on the great ideas it explored. It really thrived on the 22 episode season format. I don't think it could have achieved that in 10.

Priceless and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  6. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I really think his reviews have been better than ever for the third season. And I have agreed with most of what he has said which is always a bonus:p The preasure is now on for Buffy S4/Angel S1 to retain that same high standard;)

Guy and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  7. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    He's backkkkkkkk!!!!

Mr Trick: Awesome news! Will check it out as soon as I can.
  8. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

And of course he has now moved onto Angel too!:p

Fun times ahead for sure! I like how he brings different things to the review. I for one enjoyed his summing up of Noir in this review. Think he's right about Cordy stealing the episode, but I disagree that she fits in more on Angel than on Buffy. To me she had just served her purpose on Buffy and it was time to move on and do something different. I think there are lots of examples of her showing her smarts in Sunnydale its just its a different narrative for her on that show.

Its interesting that @POTN thinks that Angel was drunk in the opening scene. I'd always taken it as he was faking it as part of his cover.

thrasherpix: Yeah, I thought being drunk was just an act as well (plus the writers having fun).
    Guy and Fuffy Baith like this.
  9. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I prefer Cordy on Buffy. I think she fits in the context of the first 3 seasons, I think she is fine in this first season of Angel. Then her character just gets worse, so I wouldn't say she fits better.

yea me too. I'm pretty sure he's pretending to be drunk.

10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

And POTN agrees with me about Kathy! My day is made!:p

Guy likes this.
  11. POTN

POTN Townie

Angel was pretending to be drink. Wasn't trying to insinuate otherwise. My only commentary on that scene was to suggest that there is a deliberate alcoholic metaphor going on throughout the series.

Mr Trick: I see.
  12. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

Oh man I love these videos! I watched a few during Season 1 but kind of dropped off due to laziness. Now that I'm rewatching the show again, each review is a welcome addition to my marathon. While I watch each episode I find it difficult to not just fall into the adventure and forget about the overarching themes and metaphors, but these videos making it a much more in depth experience.

Hunga Munga and POTN like this.
  13. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

And the funniest use of the Adams Family theme goes to....

Nice review. And I totally agree this one is a real dud. Didn't even notice before that both Joss and David are credited on the story. Scary:eek:

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  14. Hunga Munga

Hunga Munga Potential

I ve been jonesing for a fix of POTN . :D The silver tongued metaphor dealer delivers again . :)

I m looking forward to the Pangs review bigtime .
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 31, 2017 ---
    I m the same Ferg . For me the'metaphors of the week' serve to make the writing and visual language tight . The actual metaphors themselves often pass me by . They re a level of meaning in which I don't often find a great deal of personal resonance . I' m there for the jokes , the weapons stash and the martial artists :D .

I also love the dark core of the show . It's pretty bleak . There are no happy endings , there is no 'win' . All things tend towards chaos . The centre cannot hold . At least 6 of Buffys 'climactic bossbattles look a lot like a young woman offering herself up for sacrifice ....usually based on some pretty flimsy visions :D

The Nerd helps me reevaluate some of these 'feelie' episodes . I don't pay enough attention when there isn't a good apocalypse on .

The Ferg likes this.
  15. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
  16. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I liked his comments about Riley. I've always thought Riley was a good man. Don't get the hate.

Guy and Fuffy Baith like this.
  17. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Yea, Riley is good in The Initiative. It's everything after with the military that sucks. Like POTN says in the video, the Initiative was over ambitious and didn't even fit with the characters they established with Riley and Professor Walsh.

18. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

Riley is a good man, but he has a few bad ideas. He's just not cut out for the demon world, he lacks subtlety and understanding of demons. His actions tend to undermine his goodness, in that he says he loves Buffy's strength, but his actions in continuing to take power-enhancing drugs and going to suck-whores contradict his words.

19. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

There are problems with the Initiative storyline and it probably didn't do Riley's character any favors.

Riley never interacted with a demon on a personal level the same way the other characters did - remember how black and white the Scoobies were in S1? - but when needed, Riley shows a great amount of understanding: saving Oz, fighting against the Initiative and their methods and later in S7 trusting Buffy with her decision regarding Spike.

Riley was for a long time a super human. He's used to his powers, he loves his powers. Just like Buffy was so dismayed when she lost hers. Even Angel when he became a regular human was upset when he wasn't as strong as when he used to be a vampire. It's natural to want those powers back.

I don't think his actions were about Buffy being stronger as much as they were about HIM being useful and having someone who needs him.

20. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

I don't think Riley wanted to do those things, I think he did them because he cared about Buffy. If Riley were left to make his own decisions, I don't think he'd really care what happened to Oz, and I think he'd actively enjoy staking Spike. But I do agree that by the end he had become more open-minded, though he was still in the army following orders and killing demons.

You are right and I am probably being too hard on Riley. But it seemed like he would rather die then let go of his strength, which is a bit excessive. I often think Riley would have had a much happier life if he'd never met Buffy.