1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Passion Of The Nerd

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by thetopher, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Does anyone else think that this thread should be in a different forum? I mean, POTN finished season 1 literally YEARS ago. I don't really know WHERE it should be, but I don't think it should be here.

2. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

Agreed. Maybe it should be stickies in Inside Out.

Guy likes this.
  3. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    As I remember I made two versions of this thread way back when; one here and the other in Inside Out.
    Maybe somebody could merge them over there?

Guy likes this.
  4. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I noticed Fox has blocked POTN's latest review on Pangs. What gives?

5. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

It's the usual copywrite issues, he's been flagged 20-30 times so far. I only know because I follow him on twitter :)

6. POTN

POTN Townie

I'm currently contesting four copyright flags from Fox. Seems like a new tactic that started at the beginning of this year. Youtube's copyright appeals process has several stages and at one point in it, the copyright holder can reject your appeal and the flags become strikes. 3 strikes and the channel gets taken offline until the appeals process clears (which can be up to 90 days.)

SO, I now receive copyright flags in clusters. I received 3 in a day about a month ago and contested 2 (as I can't risk 3.) Fox is now letting that process drag on and flagged the Pangs video 12 hours after I published it. Because I can't start the appeal on that until I've cleared the two in process, it effectively holds the video hostage for a period of months.

Now that there are a certain number of videos caught in this copyright process it effectively means I can only publish 2 new videos every few weeks, rendering the channel unsustainable. A way of shutting me down without actually having to sue and risk losing over fair use. I've been dealing with this for 3 years now and may be ready to throw in the towel. I'm making one last ditch effort to reach out to them. Otherwise the guide may be done.

Bluebird: That sucks :( Fox and their usual contempt for the audience!
    GwenRaiden: Nooooooooooooooooo :(
  7. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

And right before IWRY... Life is unfair!!!!

I would really miss your episode guide if it stopped but I understand if you're tired of having to deal with this.

8. flow

flow Will you just hold me ?

It is a review. How can a review infringe or violate copyright laws ? I think they are wonderful. Would miss them !!

flow

sosa lola likes this.
  9. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I don't get it. You're not uploading episodes, you're giving reviews. Everyone on Youtube does reviews on movies and TV shows.

10. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

My understanding is that it's software doing it rather than people so it's a bit random. I don't watch many reviewers so I'm not sure how many get caught in the net. But I do know many on YT get around it by speeding it up a bit or doing something else to make it difficult for the auto-offense finder to find it as it's a bit off (and since it's automated rather than a person it can't tell the difference).

And when the automated flaggers do find something to flag, well the companies don't want to spend a lot of cash to stop the content when they know most of it is legal and fair (and even helps them), but at the same time the thought of them losing one penny terrifies them (something that angers me when this caused a novel series to be canceled as one company working with publishers got bought out and they didn't want to come to an agreement on what pennies went into whose pockets over the shared rights to the series, and it was even by a popular author) so they cut even more expenses they pull tricks to circumvent the legal challenges (as happened here in which they don't really have to pay anyone to do anything and hope the problem takes care of itself). It wouldn't surprise me if they consider it a good strategy because market research shows that anger over unfair flagging causes people to talk about the show more, and thus more advertising (scandals perversely raise sales rather than suppress them).

NC usually gets away with it for some reason, but even he catches flack. Here he is talking for 2 minutes about that, and what he was going to do in response (should start after the first minute, and I just mean to share the 2 minutes from there before he goes into the actual review):

--- Double Post Merged, May 10, 2017 ---
    Anyway, sorry to see POTN having to put up with this crap. I put the review into my Watch Later list and just found that I can't watch it. :mad:

11. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    You can watch it on the facebook page!

Fuffy Baith: I didn't know there was a FB page. Lol
  12. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Shit Fox are the worse! Sorry to hear about this Passion. I really love your show, and I hope you can keep it going.

13. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    There are other options than YouTube surely; I mean SciFi Debris does a similar level of quality vids (i.e excellent analysis) about a FOX show- The X-Files- and even gets sponsored for it.

Mr Trick likes this.
  14. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

When its from a show that is nearly 20 years old it just baffles me why they object. It does feel like that Fox refusing to except how things are and digging their heels in for no good reason. Its also counter productive because if anything TPOTN reviews is just going to encourage more people to watch the show.

Priceless likes this.
  15. dcai0830

dcai0830 You spent three weeks moaning in a basement!

Black Thorn
    @POTN Just wondering if you could provide us with an update on your channel situation? I know that last vid you put up was about two months ago are you still fighting the Fox big wigs? Really hope you can get back to your reviews as I really enjoy your videos!

flow, Mylie, Fool for Buffy and 2 others like this.
  16. POTN

POTN Townie

All the flags have cleared. I'm going to keep making the guides but at a slower pace that can allow for the appeals process to work. To that end I'll be making videos for other types of content thatI've had on the brain for a long time. I've already begun a bit by trying to work in some contemporary reviews.

Currently, I'm working on the Buffy Movie review. The first draft is about half done. I'd like to finish the draft tonight and hopefully have the review up this weekend.

After that, I'll begin the guides for Something Blue and Hero. When those are up I'll be swapping to another project. And then another. And then back to Buffy/Angel guides.

So they will continue in cycle. At the moment the biggest thing I'm battling is my own inertia and some storms in my personal life. But I'm not going anywhere. I make video to keep myself sane. The longer I go without, the less stable life becomes.

dcai0830: Wonderful news! Look forward to more great videos!
    Mr Trick: That's excellent news! Look forward to the guide's return.
  17. flow

flow Will you just hold me ?

Thanks so much for keeping us informed . I am glad, you could solve your issues with Fox.

I was chechking your YouTube channel every week for the last couple of month, hoping there would be a new Buffy review. Actually I was hoping there would be a review for Something Blue ;) Can`t wait to see that !!!

I hope you enjoy continuing with your reviews. They really mean so much to me and I am sure to a lot of other people as well.

flow

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  18. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

@POTN Thanks for the update! I can't wait to see you review AtS s2 but I'll be patient!

At least we got IWRY before the break. ;)

19. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    @POTN sorry to hear about your personal issues, I hope that everything works out. That's good that the reviews help. Loved your Wonder Woman review! Interested in seeing what else you put up. Glad to hear you haven't given up on the Buffy reviews.

MarlieTheSlayer likes this.
  20. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    @POTN's newest uploads.

Priceless likes this.