• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Paths for Giles

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
As we all know, Giles leaves in season 6 and though he appears again he is clearly not a permanent Scooby anymore, or even Buffy's Watcher. The impetus to Giles' leaving seems to have had more to do with Anthony Head wanting to go back home to England than it had to do with the character himself.

If Anthony Head hadn't wanted to leave, Giles would've stayed - what do you think the plan was for him?

On the level where his leaving works, it's that Buffy gets to become independent of her father figure, which is a normal part of life. The particular time of leaving may be questioned, but still, Giles had kind of served his purpose on the show as a regular character, hadn't he? Leaving, at some point, was kind of natural.

But without that, do you think there would still have been a plot where Buffy distanced herself from Giles?
What would Giles have been doing for the season? What stories do you see for him? What paths could they led Giles on basically?

:)

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Said it before. If Mr. Giles would have stayed he needed to be the Big Bad. That's the only thing that would have prevented Mr. Giles from not helping out his ward, at least financially (more consistently than he did). Otherwise he was just a dick. Granted, he was kinda a dick anyway, but...

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I'd have liked to have seen more of Giles and Anya running the magic box. Perhaps side plots of magical beings ordering in obscure things which he has to leave the country to find. This would have left room for Buffy to grow, without the harsh abandonment when she really did need him most.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
I want same old Giles. His role in season 7 was very disappointing. He did pretty much nothing in season 4 but was still himself. I don't even think we need that many arc ideas. He could have stayed at her house with everyone else and just offered help where it was needed. I just think he should have been there with Buffy and for Buffy like always.

Top Bottom