• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Please God- I hope this never happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Joss who? Meet the writer of the new "˜Buffy the Vampire Slayer' film
Nov. 22, 2010 | 10:57 a.m.
EXCLUSIVE

Whit Anderson
Back in her high school days in a Delaware small town, Whit Anderson's days were jammed with activity "” academics and athletics were all-consuming and there was little time for empty entertainment. "I didn't really watch much television at all, but I always watched "˜Buffy the Vampire Slayer,' that was the one show I would watch when I got home. I just loved this character. I was the same age as Buffy and it was so rare to have a female lead character on TV in those days who was strong and capable and smart but also allowed to be feminine."

During its seven-season run, the beloved "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" series put some fang into high-school melodrama long before "Twilight" made the undead all sparkly, and one big reason was the ability of the show's creator, Joss Whedon, to put himself in the head of his female fans. Now we'll find out if that rapport works in the other direction as the 29-year-old Anderson works on the script for a Warner Bros. feature-film "Buffy" reboot that is moving forward without Whedon.

Anderson, with a chuckle, said she is "fighting through" the script right now, but her concept has already engerized some key supporters. Charles Roven, one of the producers of "Batman Begins," said his Atlas Entertainment signed on after he saw something special in Anderson's tone and story.

Cast members of the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" series (Los Angeles Times archive)
"Generally, I wouldn't have said "˜Let's revive this,' but Whit's take is pretty compelling and a lot of fun, and it's interesting to see all of this re-imagined. This is a completely new reboot. Tone is extremely important and you want the audience to realize what is at stake and the peril is real, but at the same time what's going on should be fun and inviting and keep everyone engaged. It needs to be relevant to today, too, and that is what Whit has found a way to do."

Roven added: "There is an active fan base eagerly awaiting this character's return"¦. While this is not your high-school Buffy, she'll be just as witty, tough and sexy as we all remember her to be." The project has plenty of hurdles ahead, and there is no announced director, but Roven said hopes to see the film reach theaters in 2012 or perhaps even 2011.

The character first appeared in the 1992 film "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," written by Whedon and starring Kristy Swanson, but it was Whedon's darker, more nuanced television series starring Sarah Michelle Gellar that took the property beyond simple satire and created a truly memorable pop-culture epic. The show ran on the WB and then UPN, and its 144 episodes secured an acclaim that far exceeded their ratings. Three years ago, TV Guide ranked it the third on a top 25 list of all-time cult shows, putting it right behind "Star Trek" and "The X-Files." More recently, Empire magazine put it at No. 2 on its list of best shows ever, a tally that had "The Simpsons" at No. 1 and"The Sopranos" at No. 3.

David Boreanaz and Sarah Michelle Gellar from the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" television series (Frank Ockenfels/The WB)
Anderson knows that without Whedon (who is gearing up to direct "The Avengers" for Marvel Studios) the most devoted fans of the old series will be keeping a skeptical eye on this nascent revival "” and sharpening their wooden stakes. Anderson, who studied theater at Northwestern and moved to Los Angeles in 2003, said she will take the touchstones of the Whedon world but frame them in "a new story" that is very much of the moment. She cited Christopher Nolan's revival of Batman as a supreme example of how a familiar character and revered mythology can be brought to the big screen with a vital new vision.

"The thing that was so wonderful about "˜Buffy' is what made it special was so timeless," Anderson said. "The deep struggle she had with duty and destiny, that tug between what you're supposed to be doing and what you want to be doing. The fate of the world is on her shoulders but some days she wakes up and she just doesn't want to do it. And are we doomed and destined to love someone? That conflict was very interesting to me. Those are the things I loved about her and her world. She also represents "” like all the heroes "” something empowering for us. She's reminds us of what we could be if we were in our top form, the best of us if we were at our very best, and even then we still see the vulnerability and doubt she has inside. That's where we all connect."

"“ Geoff Boucher

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010...ter-of-the-new-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-film/

xaphania

Spike/Buffy
It makes me sad that they want to do this and that it seems to be going ahead. :(

Roven added: “There is an active fan base eagerly awaiting this character’s return…

Nuh-uh... not this fan, at least.

Leave our series alone! We don't want a reboot!

xfivebyfive

Because its Fate.
Black Thorn
Ugh I can't believe this is still happening I thought maybe it had died off like so many ideas -_- maybe that was just wishful thinking.

TaylorSwift

The power to make amends
Noooo! What is this??? How dare they do this?? They must be completely crazy.

“There is an active fan base eagerly awaiting this character’s return"

Uhm, yeah we want the REAL character's return...who cares about one stupid wannabe trying to make money??? You gotta be crazy about making a Buffy movie without Joss and the original characters. CRAZY. Ugh, I'm SO mad right now. I hope this projects dies..like, right now. And if it doesn't...I hope nobody will see it and they're gonna lose money and respect.Ahahahahaha...

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
They can make it, but nobody said we have to watch it.

I'll get my fanfiction from sources I trust thankyouverymuch.

T
TaylorSwift
I surely won't watch it!
X
xaphania
[No message]

SlayerOfVampyrs

VuffytheSampireBlayer
I like how she cites 'Batman Begins' as reviving the Batman series when it did nothing of the sort. What got people talking about Batman again was the STUNNING 'The Dark Knight.'

Okay, onto 'Buffy,' you can't do anything BtVS without Joss. It can't be done properly, or at all. In the original Buffy movie, they pushed Joss to the side, totally effed with his ideas, and we were left with the steaming pile of cow dung we have now.

The Slayer Lore thing, I don't think, would work in film format at all. There's too much there to introduce and cover, that I just don't think that a film will be enough to bring new life into the series. ASH (Anthony Stewart Head) said it very, very well: "I wouldn't want to see it, no. The bottom line is if a movie was ever to be made, it should be made with Joss Whedon, whether it's a retrospective or not. The Kuzuis have the rights to because they have the rights to the original movie, but it should be interesting to see. It may be a bit like watching a car wreck."

All they want is more money, it is all coming to spawn because of this Twilight craze. Which is hilarious, because Twilight was spawned from several vampirical predecessors, which 'Buffy' WAS apart of. Edward/Bella couldn't possibly be more Buffy and Angel, just without a lot of the depth. It isn't coming out of an undying love for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it isn't coming out of the fans demands for a screen BtVS project, it's coming out of the love of money, and that is one of the many reasons this will fail. 'Buffy' was always a labor of love, it wasn't done for money, or recognition, or anything of the like. It was always EVERYTHING that every TV show wasn't, it was never boring or predictable; Creating a new up-to-date 'Buffy' will destroy Joss' vision, and is an utter slap and spit in the face of everyone who ever worked on the masterpiece that is 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer.'

X
xaphania
Love that last paragraph!
S
StarSlayer
[No message]
P
prophecygrrl
[No message]

Litheran

Rebel without a pulse
So; now that they've made an offer to James Marsters to appear in the film as the "new" Buffy's watcher, do you think that...

...hahaha; that was fun, hope I didn't give anyone a heart attack.

But, yeah; I'm hoping for some "Poltergeist" style bad voodoo to curse this project. Nothing so bad as what they had; maybe a week long case of the runs. There have been instances where I was absolutely certain a proposed remake would be utter disaster; and I was wrong. But by the time this movie hits theaters; someone's Shanshuing, cause the apocalypse is now.

S
SlayerOfVampyrs
ROFL! That first bit had me going "Whaaa?" Lmao. That post was comedic gold. Brilliant!
Z
zobothehobo
I thought this was serious and I really nearly had a heart attack.
BuffangelLovE
BuffangelLovE
close to a heart attack, but I survived it :D

Spikefan31

Effulgent
Black Thorn
I don't mind if this happens. I mean, we don't have to like or even watch the movie. I think it would be interesting to see how she adapts it so that new viewers can be brought into the fandom.

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
God, I can't believe they're actually doing this! I literally can't breath right now...

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Oh gosh I think I got a migraine from reading this.
Reboot? No thank you.
Buffy without Joss - no thank you.
I sense a real stinker of a movie coming... Leave well enough alone will ya?

All they want is more money, it is all coming to spawn because of this Twilight craze. Which is hilarious, because Twilight was spawned from several vampirical predecessors, which 'Buffy' WAS apart of. Edward/Bella couldn't possibly be more Buffy and Angel, just without a lot of the depth. It isn't coming out of an undying love for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it isn't coming out of the fans demands for a screen BtVS project, it's coming out of the love of money, and that is one of the many reasons this will fail. 'Buffy' was always a labor of love, it wasn't done for money, or recognition, or anything of the like. It was always EVERYTHING that every TV show wasn't, it was never boring or predictable; Creating a new up-to-date 'Buffy' will destroy Joss' vision, and is an utter slap and spit in the face of everyone who ever worked on the masterpiece that is 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer.'

Completely agree very well said.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
Expect fandom to implode when there is the inevitable old school fans versus the new fans duking it out to for the title of "Real" BTVS.

The Chosen
The Chosen
hahaha! thank god! something new for everyone to bitch about -- the Spuffy/Bangel argument was getting a little old!

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Expect fandom to implode when there is the inevitable old school fans versus the new fans duking it out to for the title of "Real" BTVS.

Lol yeah, that's gonna be tiresome I can tell :)

StarSlayer

Defender of Spuffy
First of all, Nolan's take on Batman, with "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" was not the only re-imagining of the story. It's been done since the 1950s, so that's a really poor example because there have been many directors and writers who have re-imagined the story beforehand. Joss has been connected to Buffy since day 1, when the movie was released, then the TV series, and now the comics. So, yeah. Of course the major fan base is to going to be extremely skeptical, and for good reason.

Second, I don't care if the big executives say it's "pretty compelling and a lot of fun." Without Whedon, it's going to be different, guaranteed. How many movies have they green-lighted yet have turned out to be total crap? Too many to count. I get the feeling it'll be the same with Buffy if Whedon isn't involved, which is so unfortunate. I think they are seriously rushing a Buffy movie, in order to jump on the vampire craze with the 4th Twilight movies coming out.

Third, if SMG isn't Buffy, there's no way I'm going to see it.

brinkster130
brinkster130
It will be interesting to see how many of the TV cast members they will try to bring on for this project.

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
I really don't know if I wish it to succeed or fail. On one hand, if it works, big plus for Buffy and for non fans of the show, it shows the show in a good light. On the other hand, if falls on its face, people will actually think that the show is like the movie - suck. I'm so torn! It's terrible! That's why it CANNOT happen!!!

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
You know what. I'll watch it. There I said it. You all hate me now? ;)

I highly doubt I'll watch it in the cinemas though. But I'll watch it for sure. Too curious not to. I might even enjoy it. What I won't do is to see at as a part of "my" Buffyverse story. But I wouldn't let such a small thing making my mind up about this movie before I've seen it. I'll be and already am sceptical but I'll give it a chance. Having low expectations will help the odds of actually liking it. Since Sarah don't want to do a Buffy movie I say let others give it a try. I think I prefer a whole new take on the story instead of a Joss movie without Sarah. Think being the key word.

I might end up thinking this movie is one of the worst things ever made. Only time will tell. But since I don't think the Twilight movies are as horrilbe as a lot of Buffy fans do maybe I'll enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom