• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Poll: Which is Your Favorite Spike?

Which are your favorite incarnations of Spike/William?

• Evil Spike (unchained and threatening)

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Chipped Spike (impotently evil and hilarious)

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Lovesick Spike (sexy and complex)

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Dorky William (sweet and timid)

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Ensouled Spike (contemplative and self-loathing)

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Champion Spike (self-sacrificing and brave)

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Bratty Spike (the thorn in Angel's side)

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

Moggin

Tasty Townie
Which version of Spike/William did you like best? State your reasons for your choices below.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Really great idea for a poll
I put chipped Spike though my favourite phase is s5, when he is still mostly chipped and evil and also stalking Buffy - but stalking in a funny way (I know, I know - that's bad).
So my favourite Spike could be said to be lovesick Spike, (sexy and complex) but S6 Spuffy sex Spike is my very least favourite version of him and there was no differentiation between not got a chance with Buffy Spike and S6 Spike.

S4- 5 era is my favourite Spike. With an honourable mention to the Spike in Lover's Walk.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Yeah, Chipped Spike, when he's conceptually different from Angel, and his motives aren't a mess.

Priceless

Scooby
I wanted to vote for them all, but I restrained myself and voted for Lovesick Spike, sexy and complex and Ensouled Spike, contemplative and self-loathing. I like a character when he is showing real depth and that he can change and the change makes sense.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Evil Spike. I prefer horror to shipping (and prefer Buffy and friends to find the supernatural world capricious at best to when it became normal and they became superheroes, save for Spike who was what he was depending on who was writing him that week), so that's why.

Some other aspects are intriguing later on, but...it did not work that well for me. It could've been.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Evil and not neutered. I didn't recognise Spike as much being timid or really that complex. Though 'Bratty' Spike has his moments.

AstridDante

Potential
Season 5 and Season 6 Spike as he was definitely the anti-hero. I like Spike evil or morally grey but trying to be good. I missed the edge in Season 7 Spike however I understand that he was recovering from being newly ensouled and coming to terms with this

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
I picked four because I could, I went with evil, chipped and bratty Spike. And of course sweet, timid William. With his little floppy bangs <3 Effulgent

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I went with Lovesick and Chipped Spike, because he is both in S5 and that's my favorite Spike :)

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Also I wasn't fond of the Character Spike from "Passions." He was a sleezy club promoter who corrupted the lovely Jessica Bennett, who admittedly was only showing up to shill make-up at this point. I assume he was intended to be a tribute to William the Bloody. I would go as far to compare him to Peter Cushing's Doctor Who or Miles Morales, or Sandman Dodds. This is how the character manifested in this universe.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Evil Spike. Aside from the fact I like villain relationships, I think that both he and Drusilla gave depth to vampires as beings beyond just being monsters for Buffy to kill. Evil Spike's master plan wasn't world domination or anything like that, it was just to cure Dru. Also he shows a lot of competency as a villain and has almost killed Buffy on several occasions and is the only "big bad" to actually achieve his goal.

Evil Spike could be menacing with his enemies but then completely tender and caring with Dru without it undermining the threat he poses. Buffy is saved by a plot device on 3 separate occasions:

1. Joyce coming back and hitting Spike in the head with an axe.
2. Drusilla being conveniently there to be used as a hostage since she didn't join in the massacre at the vampire wannabe club.
3. Spike taking his time to bit Damsel in distress Buffy which gave Giles the chance to break Ethan's spell.

Villain Spike was highly intelligent whereas later seasons Spike's intelligence took a dip and he was made to be a joke. Whilst there were story reasons for this (they couldn't keep a dangerous threat around Buffy and the scoobies) evil Spike is clearly the best version of himself and when he was at his happiest.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
Evil Spike I loved his character in season 2 😃 To be fair I don't recognise some of the labels on the categories.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I am in for the alpha and omega of the choices, evil Spike and bratty Spike. Evil Spike has intelligence and the ability to size up people and situations around him and work out how to get what he wants. Bratty Spike eventually gets back at Angel and he wins the cup in Destiny, but with all Angel has to put up with, he knows Spike would never have existed without the choices he made.

fauxindigo

Scooby
For me, it's Chipped Spike, Bratty Spike & Champion Spike. Chipped & Bratty are the most entertaining and amusing.
Champion Spike is the most endearing. I don't like Evil Spike like most people do.

Btvs fan

Scooby
There's 3 types of Spike
Villain
Hero
Anti Hero

Anti hero Spike is my favourite. He's complex and with more layers without being a straight up good guy or bad guy.

Villain Spike is goofy and boring. The Gem of Amarra episodes where he kept showing up on different shows and being beaten up was proof of that. Hero Spike can also be a bit boring as he just says the same heroic cliches as others. Though how he was on Angel Season 5 was better.

But yeah its anti hero Spike for me

TriBel

Scooby
I don't particularly like William - I don't see him as dorky, sweet or timid. I tend to read him in terms of class arrogance combined with the manners of Victorian Medievalism...and his hair gets on my nerves. TBH, I think the allusion to Jack the Ripper via the Dr Gull reference is a clever hint that darker things lie beneath the surface (and what those things might be)...and suggests how the logic of Spike's life pans out. Though I understand where he comes from, Bratty Spike irritates me (plus I don't like his hair). I ticked all the others because I like his hair and because I follow the future anterior guidance offered in Lessons...I go back to the beginning and connect everything. As a result, I can't separate the manifestations.

Priceless
Priceless
I'm not a fan of William either.
Taake
Taake
Stop trash talking my favorite hairstyles 😋

Btvs fan

Scooby
I don't particularly like William - I don't see him as dorky, sweet or timid. I tend to read him in terms of class arrogance combined with the manners of Victorian Medievalism...and his hair gets on my nerves. TBH, I think the allusion to Jack the Ripper via the Dr Gull reference is a clever hint that darker things lie beneath the surface (and what those things might be)...and suggests how the logic of Spike's life pans out. Though I understand where he comes from, Bratty Spike irritates me (plus I don't like his hair). I ticked all the others because I like his hair and because I follow the future anterior guidance offered in Lessons...I go back to the beginning and connect everything. As a result, I can't separate the manifestations.
Funny you mention his hair because James Marsters said that he hated bleaching his hair. In later seasons his hair seemed to look yellow rather than blond and with his age it seemed like a guy having a mid life crisis more than anything.
After Angel finished he shaved it all off and let his normal hair grow out.

TriBel
TriBel
I don't think the lighting in A5 does James any favours...period. It's a superficial bugbear for me.
Top Bottom