• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Positive/Negative (S1)

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Okay, so eventually this will exist for each season, but I thought we'd start slow. So, here are the 'rules'; Taking one episode a day, choose one thing about the episode that you think is positive and one thing that is negative. Sounds pretty simple, right? (no cheating, just one thing per ;))

Now, the things you pick can be anything, big or small, from the writing, the acting, the dialogue, the small moments, the makeup/special effects and so on.

Let's begin!

Day 1; Welcome to the Hellmouth

Positive; The iconic twist in the beginning, when Darla turns out to be the vampire. So completely unexpected when you watch for the first time and still awesome to this day.

Negative; Giles is clearly standing by the same stacks as Xander when Buffy comes in, and yet he just lets her yammer on about vampires and Slayers where the boy can overhear them. Great job watching out, dude!

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Day 1 Welcome To The Hellmouth

Positive: All the character introductions are so brilliant and memorable. Stuffy Giles, wallflower Willow, mean girl Cordelia and dorky Xander. But mostly Buffy herself.

Negative: Plot-hole. How do Buffy and Xander find Willow in that crypt. The last thing we heard Buffy ask is 'where would Willow go?' Dark, moldy places apparently.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Welcome to the Hellmouth

Positive: The start with the girl being scared of being at the school then the reveal of her being a vampire

Negative: Xander on that skateboard, the whole seeing the girl crashing thing.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!

Positive; Buffy's declaration to Darla about how there is going to be "violence, strong, language and adult content" sound like a mission statement.

Negative; They cut Xander's Mean-Girly presentation of the campus cliques from the pilot.

Last edited:

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn

Positive: Xander on that skateboard, the whole seeing the girl crashing thing.
Negative: Buffy encouraging Willow to have sex to get boys to like her.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
Buffy never said that. How did you even come to that? She said to talk to a boy if you like him instead of waiting for him to tell you he likes you.
Day 1: Welcome to the Hellmouth

Positive: The introduction to the Scooby gang

Negative: Jesse because of how inconsequential he is as a character who is never mentioned again after his death. With a little tweaking, the episode could be done without him.

Or with a little tweaking his death could have really had a meaningful impact on the story going forward. Could have explained some of Xander's traits if Jesse was mentioned again.
Nobody cared about Jesse. Even if Xander had mentioned him later, the emotional impact isn't there for the audience. Whedon wanted to kill off a "main cast member" aka someone in the credit titles when the audience didn't expect it. Jesse wasn't in the titles and Whedon ballsed it up with Tara later by having her name in the titles literally for her death episode that was at a stupid point in the season. What he should've done if she had to die is kill her off either at the beginning of Season 6 or Season 7 when it's the start of the season and her name being in the titles wouldn't get a second thought.

If she was killed of at the beginning of Season 6, it could be as an unexpected consequence of Willow's spell. Kind of a life for a life sort of deal, Buffy was given life, so someone else had to lose theirs. Not only would this make Buffy feel guilty, but it could also put Willow on the path to Dark Willow. Either she knew of the exchange but didn't think it would be any of the scooby gang or she finds out later and realising Tara's death is her fault is what tips her into Dark Willow. At the very least we can get Willow actually grieving Tara's death and bereavement can cause people to spiral out of control.

At the beginning of Season 7 would be completely unexpected when everything seemed to be going well for the scoobies.

Spanky
Spanky
I think they would have cared had the script called for them to care about him.

Positive: Buffy's prophetic dream

Negative: Buffy's club outfit

spikenbuffy

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace....
Day 1 : Welcome to the Hellmouth

Positive : Introduction of the scoobies, Angel and even Darla
Negative : Angel 's outfit

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
I liked Angel's outfit. It was similar to Darla's. The black & white ties into the good v evil. They did that with the angels & demons on Supernatural.
Taake
Taake
It really is a terrible outfit

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya

Positive:
Meeting all the Scoobies for the first time, especially Willow and Giles ("You have to hone.")
Negative: The 90s cheesiness and low production values.

Taake
Taake
*forces you to watch 90s cheesiness until you LOVE IT*

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn

Positive - The opening scene with Darla is perfection. Love the twist and how it acts as a part/whole of the entire shows premise.

Negative - All of the sloppy writing that resulted in plot holes (Buffy having a stake. At school. In daylight. But not having one walking down a dark alleyway. At night. Xander in the stacks. Finding Willow)

Positive: Buffy & Angel's first interaction. Buffy "Well maybe I don't want a friend." Angel "I never said I was yours."

Negative: Buffy having to explain to Giles (her all knowing watcher) how vampires are made.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
I think it was a difference between knowing something in theory but not hands on experience, kind of like Wesley in BtVS s3, who said he only saw vampires in controlled environments.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn

Positive:
The way Willow tucks her hair and smiles after Xander wipes out on his skateboard. She kind of makes you love her before she ever says a line.
Negative: How Buffy dresses for school vs. how Buffy dresses for The Bronze doesn't make much sense. (I'm guessing that was a stunt double thing, but it's funny!)

Positive: The first scene between Buffy, Cordelia, & Willow is exactly like the first scene between Harry, Draco, & Ron
Negative: Cordelia's face when she says "What is your childhood trauma?!" annoys me. It's so over the top. I loved Oz's laid back & curious reaction when it happened to him in Whats My Line.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn

Positive:
Darla reveal and all around Buffy cuteness

Negative:
Buffy asking Cordelia for details on a dead student. Damn baby, be cool. (It's a funny scene, but it also shows why keeping her identity a secret was never going to be Buffy's strenght)

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
I heard "damn baby be cool" in Aly's voice from HIMYM

Positive: Angel giving Buffy a silver cross necklace and saying "Don't turn your back on this. You have to be ready...for The Harvest." It is still one of the most Christian moments on television and it's hard to fathom the creator of the series is atheist. A demon giving a human a cross. A man who believes he's damned & going to Hell when he dies wanting an innocent to still have faith. Angel trying to save his first soul. The Harvest sounds like The Rapture. Silver & crosses both ward off evil. A demon named Angel. Acting as a mysterious messenger, angel means "messenger" & god acts in mysterious ways. Trying to keep a Warrior of Light on the right path.

Negative: bad use of the wonderful Persia White but points for casting her

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Day 2; The Harvest

Positive; That final exchange. "The earth is doomed."

Negative; The vampire hand that sticks into the sun, all long claw-like nails like a damn cliche.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
The Harvest

Pros: Angel's they really don't like me quote

Cons: How stupid Luke was, sunlight really??

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yeah I don't know how he didn't know that it was night time!
Spanky
Spanky
Come on! That sunlight line was great. That can't be a con. It's what I remember most of the episode.
Allie
Allie
The whole sunlight line carried over because it was originally in the movie script but it never happened and that was one thing Joss wanted carried over. I like it myself.
Top Bottom