• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Positive/Negative (S2)

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
Well not fear but I don't find him that dangerous as a bad guy in S2 unlike Dru
Negative : Spike getting scared and angry by the slayer lol
He was agitated. It seems like curing Dru was a one shot only sort of deal and they were fast approaching the deadline and couldn't afford for Buffy to interfere. Spike said in an earlier scene said that every time he turned around, Buffy was "mucking up the works". He was stressed. He didn't want things going wrong and Buffy had a habit of making things go wrong. He couldn't even kill Angel because then the ritual couldn't be performed and Dru would die. It was that stressful stage where he is so close to achieving his goal but it's just out of reach.

What's My Line Part 1

Positive: "I'll dance with you, pet....on the slayer's grave!"- I love that line, especially the delivery of it. When Spike is spinning Dru around and she's laughing, it's just one of those lovely little couple's moments where they're having fun together and enjoying themselves without it being part of some grand scheme.

Negative: Kendra's accent- For me, Kendra, Buffy and Faith work as a perfect trio. Kendra and Faith show the two extremes of being a slayer (Kendra being too by the book, Faith being self-serving) whilst Buffy is the middle ground. However, Kendra's accent is very in your face, to the point where the character kind of gets mocked for it by the fandom. Had the accent been more subtle then I think Kendra would be taken more seriously.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
What's My Line, Part 1

Positive: The skate date!
Negative: Buffy wearing shoes in Angel's bed. Lol.

Day 9 : What's My Line Pt. I

Positive: Exactly what @Mrs Gordo said! Vamp face kiss and Buffy goes "I didn't even notice." Gets me every time!!

Negative: Kendra locking Angel in the cage. It just annoyed me.

"What's My Line? - Part 2"

Positive: Xandeia!!!! Xandelia!!! Xandelia!!! Also, "Angel's our friend! Except I don't like him!" proves that Xander's intentions for lying to Buffy in Becoming 2 were more than mere jealousy. He could have backed Kendra when she demanded that Angel should be killed, but he didn't, instead he defended Angel in his own way. The comparison between Buffy and Kendra, especially Giles' admiration of Kendra.

Negative: Buffy's basement looks exactly like Xander's basement. I know it's the same basement, but still.

Puppet

Black Thorn
What's My Line? Pt. II

Positive; "I'd rather be fighting you." "Mutual." Great enemy!Spuffy moment!

Negative; Definitely have to go with Kendra's accent. It doesn't annoy me as much as 'Irish' Angelus, but it's a close race.

spikenbuffy

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace....
Day 10 : What's My Line? Part II

Positive : Spuffy fight and lines are great, I love Dru & Angel moment, the end is creepy

Negative : Poor old Kendra 's shirt lolll

What's my line Part 2

Positive: All the Spike and Dru scenes including the fight in the church.

Negative: I just find the way Dru carries Spike at the end looks incredibly awkward.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
Spike's jealous insecurity when Angel taunts that he isn't satisfying Drusilla in the bedroom.
What's My Line Part 1

Positive: I'm gonna go with the tarot

Negative: I kinda wanna go with Kendra's Watcher not letting Giles know, but it's good for drama, so I'll just nitpick on the lady cop already there technically before the OoT is called...misdirection, I know, but that feels like cheating.

What's My Line Part 2

Positive: The very last scene

Negative: The OoT didn't kill Buffy when handed to them, though that's their job AND they work alone. Yay for drama, but they're breaking their own rules.

Btw, it amuses me that Buffy is shown as better than Kendra (since Kendra is the one to learn from Buffy), but in Star Wars, Yoda would praise Kendra and moan about how Buffy is practically a Sith with all her passion, self-interest, and emotional attachments that cloud her judgment and lead to fear, hate, suffering. And come to think of it, he might be right...;)

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
What's My Line, Part 2

Positive: "Right, I hired a Latvian bug man to kill Buffy so I could kiss you."
Negative: Hmm. None, really. But "nobody messes with my boyfriend" is not my favorite line.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
I liked the line because it was when Buffy realized yeah he is her boyfriend.
What's My Line? Pt. II

Positive: Buffy saving Angel. I like when Kendra sees Buffy look at Angel. It's like in that moment she kinda got it. Buffy loves this vampire. Also honorable mention to Cander making out!!!

Negative: The order of taraka just stopped coming after Buffy. Plot hole, maybe?

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
The hit was called off because Spike and Dru were supposedly dead. It was probably a payment on delivery kind of deal and if there was no one to pay then there was no need to deliver.
Ted

Positive: One of the few episodes where we see Xander in short sleeves. Loved how despite how much they liked Ted, Xander and Willow were on Buffy's side the second they heard about her killing him.

Negative: I really wish Ted was human.

Puppet

Black Thorn
Ted

Positive; John Ritter! He was just phenomenal in this role, especially if you, like me, grew up with his work as a fatherly figure. It was such a shock to see him in this role.

Negative; They had a chance to go somewhere real with this, but then the robot reveal came and Buffy just forgot about all the pain she'd felt, thinking she'd killed a human. I wished she'd actually learned something from the experience.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
What was Buffy supposed to learn? She warned about his behavior, investigated to make sure he was a threat, didn't hit him until he hit her, told the cops the truth, apologized to Joyce (a 40-50 yr old man attacked a 16 yr old girl in her bedroom)

spikenbuffy

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace....
Day 11 : Ted

Positive :
Willow's little sound is cute in the kitchen, Buffy is funny in the cemetary and also Xander & Cordy are hilarious
Negative :
Joyce not believing her daughter in saying she cheated

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Ted

Positive: The Buffy/Angel scene, naturally.
Negative: The Captain and Tennille stuff seemed off to me for Xander and Willow, given their ages (they were 80s/90s kids, not 70s).

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
The writers kept forgetting to pull from the next gen and not their generation. But latch key kids do often absorb more pop culture from all the hours alone. Like Dean Winchester.

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
...I'm just gonna join in mid season here because I haven't been on the boards in a while and this looks fun!

Ted

Positive: John Ritter as a guest star (and an evil one at that!) and then Buffy walking in on Giles and Jenny kissing in the library at the end of the episode.

Negative: Buffy's mom not believing her when she said Ted threatened her. I'll just blame the drugged food from Ted, but still...

Grace
Grace
Hooray! Great to see you!!!
Ted

Positive: Buffy being in a vulnerable position she can't physically fight her way out of.

Negative: I think the Ted storyline could've gone on a little longer. It's an interesting turn of events where the danger Buffy is facing isn't from vampires or demons, but her mother's boyfriend. To have Buffy in that position of vulnerability despite being "strong" is a relatable message and can be empowering if she does find the courage to overcome it. By making Ted a robot, it's kind of like the episode wanted to "go there" but got cold feet at the last minute and gave Buffy a get out of jail free card instead.

Mrs Gordo

And then she comes along...
Black Thorn
Ted

Positive: I gotta go with John Ritter too. He does such a good job in this creepy 1950's patriarchial maniac role. It's so interesting to see him pull it off so well.
Negative: How Willow is basically able to analyze the chemical compound of a cookie with a simple microscope and some beekers. I'm no chemist... but I don't think that's how any of that works.

BuffyBot22
BuffyBot22
I was a chemistry major in undergrad, and you are correct that is not how that works lol
Ted

Positive: John Ritter's performance. I personally find his acting superb as he plays an obnoxious abuser, and also brilliant in its own way. Lots of abusers have 2 faces that they can switch between in an instant, one for the world and another for the one(s) they gaslight and terrorize, and he does it so well...though I can see why many who have endured too much of that would find it too uncomfortable and list it under negative.

Have to give an honorable mention to KS who plays Joyce well in such a sitch, that is it's the synergy between those two that really make it work. And it actually matches Joyce's amazing denial skills, and there are many people who will turn a convenient blind eye to those they love, and that includes parents who side with such against their own children (I know a real life one who was even going to have her dog put down for such a Ted-like man).

Brain scans show that love can produce a chemical reaction in the brain comparable to cocaine, and people in love do go to extreme and even insane lengths to justify or overlook terrible attributes because of it (which will eventually fizzle out, and what was once adorable becomes irritating, or abusive behavior once excused or seen sympathetically becomes intolerable), so the drugged food also works well as metaphor.

Negative: This time I caught that Willow kept parts. That explains why Joyce didn't seem to know his fate. So the police didn't get it. So what DID happen to him?

(What would've been cool is if season 5 Spike stole some Ted parts in his stalking of Buffy, and when Warren complained of not having parts, saying how hard it is to get them and how long it takes to program it just right, Spike retrieves those items from under his crypt which excites Warren greatly saying he can use the parts and adapt the software...and later Buffy finds out that the Buffybot has recycled Ted parts in both hardware and software!)

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
That's like Spike screwing Joyce's ex lover. All kinds of wrong. I still have trouble accepting Sparmony happened.
Top Bottom