• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Potential ranking? Or ranking of potentials?

Veronique

Townie
In S7, we have a several potentials that stand out more than others for one reason or another. How would you rank them from best to worst? You can use any criteria: fashion, fighting skills, likeability, etc,. and you are also able to mix and match, e.x.. Best outfit but worst fighter, and so on, be creative!

Let us know your rankings and please don’t forget to say which criteria you are using!

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
1. Kennedy (due to dedication to being a Slayer, fighting skills)
2. Chao-Ahn (due to fighting skills, despite communication difficulties a dedicated and hard worker clearly)
3. Rona (due to her rather sober outlook on things, gets to Sunnydale on her own, keen to survive, but not keen to follow without questioning leadership)
4. Amanda (due to likeability)
5. Vi (I guess she's likeable too, good for comic relief, but kind of girl-Andrew and thus slightly grating to me)
6. The rest of them, those with names we barely saw, except to fill some function (Molly, Chloe, Eve, the ones in Xander's Dream), whom I've no real reason to either like or dislike.

caitaintdead
caitaintdead
While editing I noticed how badass Chao Ahn is! She really kicks butt!!!!

katmobile

Scooby
1) Amanda - I liked her unconventional beauty, her geekiness, I think if she'd been trained better she'd have been a great fighter as she obviously could with encouragement fight
2) Vi - is adorable and asks good questions her yelling at Rona to live shows she's not a wimp when it counts
3) Annabelle - I think had a good attitude until Kennedy made her doubt Buffy and herself
4) Choa-Ann and the others - we don't really much personality from them
5) Kennedy - is a very mixed bag - she's is very capable and doesn't give up, in the comics she will become a good leader of a sort - the fact the problematic slayers of season eleven come from under her leadership speaks volumes to me - she also never gives up and always remains positive but she's arrogant, and answers the question Faith asks of Buffy 'can you follow?' with mostly a no, she lacks empathy and her inability to give assurance and need to do down Buffy doom Annabelle and her strident bossiness and need to prove how badass a leader she is doom Chloe.
Rona - is a whiny entitled bicca who mainly contrabutes negatively, critism and a failure to grasp that she needs to step up to the plate whether she wants to or not however fair it is or not otherwise she will DIE and she can't just coast by hiding underneath Buffy's skirt, Buffy has a duty to protect her but sister you have to help yourself too. For someone so flawed herself she's very unsympathetic to Buffy having human flaws.
Chloe - my heart hurts for her but I feel that she wasn't a good potential maybe she was too young but she was too vulnerable, it wasn't helped by people around her and the situation but she wasn't strong enough to cope.

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
3) Annabelle - I think had a good attitude until Kennedy made her doubt Buffy and herself
Wow, I don't remember this one at all. Lol, not that most of the Potentials were that memorable.

fauxindigo
fauxindigo
Annabelle was one of the first potential slayers to arrive in Sunnydale, with Molly & Kennedy.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Chao-ahn is top because her scenes with Giles were funny The other potentials are middle ground with the exception of:

Rona- she was just annoying and did nothing to help herself.

Belonging in the deepest depths of the darkest abyss is Kennedy because she is just a horrible person and I don't like her.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
1. Kennedy- She’s the best fighter, she wants to be a slayer (very likable trait), she can be loyal (depends on circumstance) and she can also be protective. The only downside is the comment she made about Chloe.

2. Vi - Very enthusiastic fighter and she seems easygoing.

3. Amanda- she had a very sweet personality but could get a bit frightened during attacks (understandably).

4. The rest - They’re all okay but didn’t have developed personalities.

5. Rona- I only remember the “ding-dong the witch is dead comment” which just didn’t need to be said.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I'm going with a combination of likability and a bit of memorability. Maybe some consideration of 'how competent are they shown to be':

1) Amanda: Feisty even before she knew she was 'a potential' and brave without being bratty. She was kinda adorkable and seemed a decent fighter. Most importantly she saved Giles' dwarf and put the smackdown on Andrew's crappy power-mad DM. Yeah, I know the type; the kind that tries very hard for a TPK. Git. Anyway, I'm truly sorry that she died.

2) Chao-Ann: Probably the bravest since a) she didn't know how to communicate with anyone so she was the most isolated among the girls, b) She had to put up with Giles ridiculous 'Englishman talks to foreigner' schtick and his horrible, bloody drawings. Also she had good (unintentional) comic timing and was shown to be a kick-ass slayer-fighter.

3) Vi: Cute and inoffensive, but overrated because she's played by Felicia Day. Her 'flying kick' is pretty bad wire-fu which takes away from her 'badass slayer moment'. Points deducted.

4) Kennedy: Right in the middle. Yes she has her bad points, her pursuit of Willow is way too entitled-y and she's s spoiled, arrogant brat with an inflated view of her own importance....but at least she wants to be there and doesn't panic/whine at the drop of a hat. She is also fairly eager to get stuck in to the 'fighting stuff'.
You just have to treat her correctly. Buffy didn't know how to handle her which is why she was such a pain. Faith did; exactly the same way she handled Connor; establish that you're the toughest bitch in the yard and that you're not to be messed with; after that they'll fall into line and follow along happily enough.

5) Molly: consider yerself...at number 5 for your annoyingly awful mockney accent. I'll admit that this is my most irrational placement. I just dislike her.

6) Chloe: I'm not going to heartless and put a suicide victim last. She was clearly scared and out of her depth. I felt sorry for her and she didn't deserve her death to be belittled the way Buffy did.

7) Rona: An annoying butt-hurt-type of character who's only there to bitch and complain. She seemed incapable of doing anything under her own initiative.

I can't remember any others that distinctly: Eve was 'The First', Shannon was Caleb's first stabbee, Coleen & Caradid was in Xander's fantasy, etc.

Taake
Taake
Oh, I hate that flying kick!
fauxindigo
fauxindigo
yeah that flying kick is still bad, 15 years later. Don't think it'll ever get better.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
1. Kennedy - pulled her weight and understood the need to fight or die. She was obnoxious at times but at least she felt like a full character.

2. Assorted others.

Last. Rona - Buffy saves her life the first time they meet and she proceeds to slag her off from that moment on.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
Kennedy is the only one that is actually memorable because she has a character, she feels like a person rather than a series of caricatures and stereotypes.
Maybe that's why she gets so much hate? Maybe she reminds people of a real person they dislike.
After rewatching the show I quite enjoy her character in season 7. There's gotta be something to enjoy in that season lol
Kennedy is not as arrogant in context of the tv show - she does have other nice, sweet qualities - but because she's talked about so negatively I kind of forget she's not as hateful a character if I just watch the show and see the storyline myself.

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
1. Violet/ Vi: She was likeable and had a self deprecating humour and seemed intent on learning/ picking up tips compared to just being angry/grumbly. And she was never specifically mean to Buffy (I don't think.) And I liked her closing "Stay awake! This is nothing!" pep talk in Chosen.

2. Amanda: Purely because of the "I still say we got punished" line. And she seemed like a nice character overall.

3. Kennedy: I despised how she was towards Buffy. Even worse: she expected Willow to side with her against Buffy. And her pursuit of Willow was annoyingly pushy and presumptuous. Having said that, she was spunky, determined, fearless, the only one who didn't immediately cower at the face of an enemy, she didn't helplessly panic or whine and wanted to be in the battle, and in the end she gave Buffy her due when she said, in contrite tones "It didn't work out. We tried...but.." She definitely had Slayer qualities and was pro-active as a fighter.

4. Molly: I don't recall much about her other than the mockney accent, but I think she was the first of the potentials to slay a vampire when they were all enclosed in the crypt during the training routine.

5. Chao-Ann, Coleen, Caradid, Dominique: I don't recall anything "stand out" about any of them - except for brief conversational moments - two of them figured in Xander's dream, Chao-Ann deserves some sympathy for enduring Giles' well intentioned but hopeless Mandarin Chinese, and Dominique was completely nondescript. So I rank them all in the nice-enough-but-not-really-memorable group.

6. Annabelle, Chloe, Dianne, Shannon, Molly, Nora: I feel bad for all them for being killed in different ways: Chloe, for her suicide, though I don't blame Buffy for her rousing speech about not giving up. I feel bad for Dianne and Molly, who were both killed by Caleb at the battle at the vineyard. I feel bad for Shannan as well, who was killed in the car by Caleb when she hitched a ride with him. Nora was killed by the Bringers, before Robson found her body and was also killed. Points to Annabelle for intent - she was always saying "you must control your fear" but then fled herself and was the first to be killed.

7. Rona: She was incredibly annoying - I think she was meant to be annoying. Every line they gave her was grumbly. She was the resident grouch of the Potentials. And she was awful to Buffy. I can't find much to like about her.

8. Eve: I don't recall the original Eve, but as The First she was so unlikeable (not her acting or original character) but there was just something supremely unlikeable about her when she was possessed by the First and I couldn't separate that from her character. So I irrationally ended up not liking Eve.

Last edited:

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
Oh, to clarify: I meant eventually succumbing to her injuries from Caleb while recovering in hospital, not that she died in the car, oops. But I can't recall, maybe she did survive. I'll have to revisit the episode.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Oh, she was stabbed but she- as far as I know- survived Sunnydale. I don't remember dying in the hospital. I mean, she recovered from her injuries enough to pass on Caleb's message, so I assume he meant her to live.
Or else:

Caleb: *looking at his watch* They should be here by now. I told that young lady to pass along a message.
The First!Buffy: Unless she died from being brutally stabbed and then being pushed out of a fast moving truck.
Caleb: ...ah, tarnation. I got so caught up in all the fun evil monologue-stuff that I forgot the whole 'she has to survive the encounter' part...
The First!Buffy: *pouting* So now what are supposed to do. We have this fantastic evil trap and no-one to share it with.
Caleb: *chuckling nastily* Oh don't worry, I have a fool proof back-up plan...

*next scene is Caleb outside Buffy's house with a note tied around a half-brick. He throws it through their window and runs away*
Hell, it worked for The Master's minions and Harmony. It'd be a nice callback. :)

fauxindigo

Scooby
Kennedy
Molly
Amanda
Violet
Chloe :(

Dislike
Rona
Annabelle

Indifferent
Chao-Ahn
Caridad
Colleen
Shannon

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Based on which character I liked best.

1. Kennedy is obviously number 1 for me. I love her character.

2. Amanda. The only other one with a personality. I wish she would have had more scenes with Dawn. It was a good opportunity to have a friend her own age to bond with.

3. Chao-Ann. Somewhat memorable.

4. Everyone else. They were just there.

Cohen

Warrior
How so so many people like Kennedy? She was horrible! She literally pushed a girl to kill her self. Her teenage angst was worse than Dawn. And why would Willow have ANYTHING to do with an 18 year old spoiled brat??? Gross. Next.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'm not a fan of Kennedy, though I don't actually hate her.

That said, I just don't think of her as driving Chloe to suicide. When I watch it, I think Kennedy was a bitch who should not have been the one left in charge as she was almost Snyder-like in her obnoxiousness and sadism that neither Willow nor Buffy would've tolerated at their age, and it was their mistake to allow Kennedy the authority. (Buffy from season 3: "No! You were harsh! God, you act like I picked this gig. But remember, I'm the picked.") Though I expect Willow promoted Kennedy because she's got a foolish weak spot for her crushes just as Buffy does. (And just how was Kennedy taught anyway? Giles would be a much better teacher, it's what he used to live for.)

(And as I kid, I know I'd have laughed in "Drill Sergeant" Kennedy's face and returned insult with gleeful insults of my own, don't know how that would've turned out. I'd have choice words for Buffy and/or Willow if they said by disrespecting Kennedy I was disrespecting them.)

As it was, I blamed the First when I watched it. Just because the First said it was Kennedy doesn't mean it was actually Kennedy (it's evil, it will lie to demoralize). At most, Kennedy just gave the First another bullet or two for the First to use against Chloe, but it was just one of many bullets, with many from her background (like those dead already "because of you, because of Buffy") far more wounding, that is a nudge to speed the fall but Chloe was already falling. And if the First was being completely honest then it begs the question why Chloe didn't go to Buffy or Giles (though certainly not Kennedy) to say she was being haunted by the First (since she's quite open about being scared), unless it actually masqueraded as a ghost that she did not realize was the First (like how it first appeared to Willow), which in my headcanon is what happened.

While I'm at it, I can say if I had to deal with the First, I'd seriously be looking into ways to ward against it even before it showed up in the house. Just imagine the harm it could to all of them simply by not letting them sleep through either nightmares or just demonic shrieks all through the night or even whispering to everyone using the voice of others there to really creep them out (let alone sending police their way with false kidnapping and dope house reports, or true reports of harboring 2 fugitives, etc, but thankfully the First was even dumber than season 7 Buffy).

Top Bottom