• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Potential Slayers and Watchers

angelicaghoul

Townie
So I am now midway into Season 7 of Buffy, doing a rewatch. To be fair, I don't remember anything cuz I had watched Buffy only once on TV back then when it was aired and not since.

So I have a question.

Buffy came to Sunnydale and had Giles as her watcher when she was THE slayer. Why do these young girls, potential slayers, do already have watchers and know about their "future" as potential slayer... Doesn't really make much sense.

Am I missing something?

KaitKat

Potential
Some of the girls knew they were potentials and some didn’t and the ones who did had watchers. So Kennedy had a watcher but Rona didn’t. Buffy wasn’t identified as a potential slayer only when she became The Slayer, she had a watcher in LA, Giles wasn’t her first watcher.

Kendra was also removed from her family when she was young and identified as a potential slayer and sent to live with her watcher.

thrasherpix

Scooby
It could be that the Potential finder spell is vulnerable to static interference, so say if you grew up in a highly populated (likely with magical and demonic phenomenon going on) that it wouldn't find them until Awakened, so Potentials in the big city (Faith, Buffy) would not be found, but Kendra (perhaps in a small community, though it also sounds as if Kendra's family already knew the Watchers before they collected Kendra) could be.

Willow's spell to find Potentials (cast in season 7) also had a limited range, even for her.

But interesting that the First only had the ability to track some Potentials, but at the very end we get the scenes of so many suddenly Awakened Slayers that apparently had been Potentials all this time without ever being attacked by Bringers or otherwise known about by the First (I'm politely ignoring what a mess s7 was).

Might be worth keeping in mind that the best psychics hired by Wolfram & Hart could have some big misses despite their ability (like that one who said "no you're not, you're going to have me killed" to which his employer asked him why he couldn't have been that good before now).

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
And not just season 7, every season has its messes. The initial story was for length A, but the story kept getting longer so arc's that altered the arcs of earlier seasons happened. Scriptwriters were employed because of their ability to write script, not for their knowledge of the many subjects.

Stake fodder

Soulless
Good explanations above, and I would just add that I imagined that some Potentials were more likely candidates, and therefore they had Watchers ahead of time. I was also thinking that perhaps Potentials in unstable home situations might receive a Watcher earlier, to look after them. But that would have been true of Faith, and I don't recall that she mentioned that her Watcher pre-dated her becoming a Slayer.

Top Bottom