1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Pregnant Darla

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by Triss, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Triss

Triss Andrew's momma

[​IMG]

Is anyone else grossed out by the way that everyone treats Darla while she is pregnant? By which I mean threatening her with violence and actually hitting her... That's disgusting. Yes, she's an evil vampire, but it still makes me want to throw up. You don't go around hitting pregnant women.

Seriously, am I just too sensitive or can anyone else sympathise? To me, it's visceral and instinctive. Pregnant women need respect and care, whoever they are. It is a basic rule.

Zenseem likes this.
  2. Athene

Athene Scooby

Yeah I was quite uncomfortable with their treatment of Darla, I know she's a vampire but she just looks like a normal pregnant woman so it's hard to not feel anything when someone hits her. Also when Cordy hits Darla and she falls over I feel like we were meant to cheer or something but it looks so harsh so it just annoyed me.
    Also, Angel should have been way more protective of Darla, that's his child she's carrying o_O

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  3. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

I don't recall Cordy knocking Darla over, but if it was when Darla was trying to kill Cordy (the only one who had been standing up for her) then good one on her.

That aside, it is a natural reaction to not hit pregnant women, though I presume vampires (and their wombs) regenerate like the rest of them...if Darla couldn't manage to abort it as she tried then I doubt anyone else could either. And Darla doesn't get a free "pregnancy pass" to munch on people as it suits her (as she tried with Cordelia, or that kid at some arcade, IIRC).

Fool for Buffy likes this.
  4. Athene

Athene Scooby

It was after Darla bit Cordy I think. If I remember correctly they're all agreeing to help Darla and then someone asks Cordy if she's in. Cordy punches Darla and then says that she'll help her. Then Darla is on the floor going into labour and Cordy says something like "Oh I didn't hit you that hard" because she thinks that Darla is in pain from the punch :confused:

5. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

As a formerly pregnant woman I personally was not offended, the reason being that even though she was pregnant, she was 10 times stronger and tried to kill them all anyway . Cordelia was actually very gracious and compassionate to Darla, taking care of her and even defending her to Angel. What did it get her? Darla attempting to eat her and then hunting for children to eat. Not to mention she managed to kick Angels ass as well. Let's not pretend this is a normal pregnancy situation. She's a lethal killer, being pregnant didn't change that.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 22, 2017 ---
    Also to add, if they HAD treated her with deference and respect due to a pregnant woman, she would have killed them all.

Antho, Priceless, Athena and 3 others like this.
  6. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    To be fair Darla is an anomaly, as pregnant vampires shouldn't exist. Is she more pregnant, or vampire? Arguably she's more vampire, and the fact she is a soulless being who's fully capable of killing them all, I kinda think they're right for being on their guard.

Also, they would have hit her if she wasn't pregnant too, so I actually respect the show for not having double standards there. They're not hitting a pregnant human woman, Darla is fully capable of looking after herself and giving as good as she gets, pregnant or not.

Antho, Priceless and GraceK like this.
  7. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    Is it wrong that I found it kinda funny? I mean, she's a pregnant vampire. She's super entertaining as a pregnant vampire, and is still Darla - dangerous and cunning. It's just unexpected to see someone clock a pregnant woman. Besides, they make it pretty clear the baby can't be harmed, because it's a fictional fantasy universe.

It's like when the show, for all intents and purposes, threw a baby into a hell dimension. What the hell! It's brilliant.

Antho and OccaQuokka like this.
  8. OccaQuokka

OccaQuokka My arse is not pansy!

Sineya
    The child couldnt be harmed, that was clear. Darla was a dangerous incubator who threw the first punch.

Anyone watch Orphan Black? Helana is a preggo I'd not mess with either. She'd probably take offence to being mollycoddled and try to bite faces off too.

Priceless and Antho like this.
  9. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Helena is so adorable though! She's like the most adorable nutcase ever. She's even cuter pregnant. Pregnant Darla was adorbs too!

OccaQuokka: Completely agree. Haha I cant wait to see her magical babies