• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Pricey Does Art

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
It's very good for a first attempt! Well done. I had NO idea what I was doing when I first used gimp, I think I skyped with @Bluebird so she could talk me through it, lol. The more you use it the easier it will get, too. So keep going! :D

I like the concept. If you could make Cordelia a little sharper and find a more exciting font, it would look very nice.
Lol, yes the image isn't sharp enough, but I shall say I meant to do that deliberately, it was an artistic choice :D By the time I'd got to the text I was verging on hysteria, so I rushed it . . . er . . . nope, that was an artistic choice too, so there! :p

Mrs Gordo

(She's not even a vampire.) No, I'm an attorney.
Black Thorn
Going for a different feel . . . Any advice gladly welcome . . . I can see why people get addicted to this . . .

You know i'm just learning this stuff too!! But with regards to the white stuff on the edges, that happened to me on the first go round. What I am doing is I am adding the "grid lines" which shows you where the canvas is and if there is anything that is outside that area I scale it up. Also you can do is at the very end when I'm done flattening if I see white I go in and "scale" the image and drag it over the canvas area that way there isn't any white.

And yes it's super fun! Even when they come out looking like crap I'm having fun!

You know i'm just learning this stuff too!! But with regards to the white stuff on the edges, that happened to me on the first go round. What I am doing is I am adding the "grid lines" which shows you where the canvas is and if there is anything that is outside that area I scale it up. Also you can do is at the very end when I'm done flattening if I see white I go in and "scale" the image and drag it over the canvas area that way there isn't any white.

And yes it's super fun! Even when they come out looking like crap I'm having fun!
Thanks for this! Can you remember where you find 'grid lines'? I don't know why it happened on this banner and not my first one. There are so many drop downs and lists, it's pretty confusing :) I also struggled to get rid of the line down the middle, between the two images, but blending is obviously not my thing :D

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
Thanks for this! Can you remember where you find 'grid lines'? I don't know why it happened on this banner and not my first one. There are so many drop downs and lists, it's pretty confusing :) I also struggled to get rid of the line down the middle, between the two images, but blending is obviously not my thing :D
Sure up at the top menu View > Show Grid

Then when you need so zoom to make sure you image is fully on the canvas with no white spots its view zoom ...then whatever zoom you want.

And yes - blending is hard that last banner I did, it was frustrating me because I can see the edge of the photo and I don't understand why :( But I was so tired I gave up haha.

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
I love the colors! One thing that was happening to me was I was not locking or linking the image before resizing it which was causing some distortion. Of course this may be an artistic choice but if you want the image to stay proportionate make sure when you click “scale” you click on the little link/chain looking thing. :)

I love the colors! One thing that was happening to me was I was not locking or linking the image before resizing it which was causing some distortion. Of course this may be an artistic choice but if you want the image to stay proportionate make sure when you click “scale” you click on the little link/chain looking thing. :)
Thanks for this. Will it also make the image look sharper? Or do you think it#s the use of colour that's distorting the image as well as the lack of link?

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
I think it will make image sharper but mostly we need HD images which are hard to find...

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
I like the colors. It looks like you did like a horizontal line and did some colorizing, how did you do that? I swear this takes me so long, I literally just spent like 1.5 hours on one banner, I feel like it shouldn't take so darn long.

I haven't done a wallpaper or banner for what feels like forever. They used to run challenges regularly over on BF but that all sadly ground to a halt a while ago. It used to consume a good portion of my spare time because each and every piece took me an age. Hours and hours. It's a mix of finding it very addictive, being someone who fiddles with the tiniest adjustments and not knowing photoshop well enough to just know what I'm doing/how to do what I want readily. What programme are you using Pricey?

Thanks for this. Will it also make the image look sharper? Or do you think it#s the use of colour that's distorting the image as well as the lack of link?
As @dcai0830 says, its really the higher resolution images that will fix the sharpness issue for you. How are you sourcing the images you're using and are you looking at the quality/size of them? When you search for images on google, assuming you are doing that :), you can use 'tools' to bring up the larger sized ones.

I like the colors. It looks like you did like a horizontal line and did some colorizing, how did you do that? I swear this takes me so long, I literally just spent like 1.5 hours on one banner, I feel like it shouldn't take so darn long.
Yeah I think I'm just in the banner game for the colours :) I can't blend to save my life, so I cover everything in colour. It's really unsubtle. I couldn't even explain what I did, just messed around with the colour balance.

I spent 40 minutes trying to get the blue out of Spikes hair, but hopefully things will get easier with time :)

I haven't done a wallpaper or banner for what feels like forever. They used to run challenges regularly over on BF but that all sadly ground to a halt a while ago. It used to consume a good portion of my spare time because each and every piece took me an age. Hours and hours. It's a mix of finding it very addictive, being someone who fiddles with the tiniest adjustments and not knowing photoshop well enough to just know what I'm doing/how to do what I want readily. What programme are you using Pricey?

As @dcai0830 says, its really the higher resolution images that will fix the sharpness issue for you. How are you sourcing the images you're using and are you looking at the quality/size of them? When you search for images on google, assuming you are doing that :), you can use 'tools' to bring up the larger sized ones.
You should really join us and get back into the art game Stoney. It'd be nice to see some more Spuffy art. Once there are more of us who know what we're doing (hahaha) we could challenge each other. It is really addictive, but luckily I'm pretty slapdash so I eventually just give in and go with the easiest thing :D
I'm using Gimp, and it seems like you can do most things on there and it's free. There are so many drop-downs and options, I get lost with it all. I am searching google for my pictures, and am now making sure I only use the biggest ones.

You should really join us and get back into the art game Stoney. It'd be nice to see some more Spuffy art. Once there are more of us who know what we're doing (hahaha) we could challenge each other. It is really addictive, but luckily I'm pretty slapdash so I eventually just give in and go with the easiest thing :D
I'm using Gimp, and it seems like you can do most things on there and it's free. There are so many drop-downs and options, I get lost with it all. I am searching google for my pictures, and am now making sure I only use the biggest ones.
I do really enjoy it but honestly, each piece takes me days. Challenges are fun and I like having a prompt to inspire me to think of something to art, so I do miss doing them, but I let it take over my time far too much when I get into producing a piece. Off the top of my head, I can only remember ever doing one Spuffy piece though, that was Tumblr sized. Of the BtVS ones I've done, Spike is by far the most repeated subject (what a surprise!). :p I probably clock an average of at least 20hrs on them, more if there are manipulations involved (and I regularly steal parts of some pics and combine them if one shot isn't quite how I want it). Banners aren't particularly quicker for me than a full wallpaper, it's just a smaller area I'm fiddling with for hours on end. I faff a huge amount with photos that I have taken to use as background/textures on all my pieces and with blending etc. there is just so much to play with. I'm very much a novice so it takes me an age to even work out how to do what I want sometimes. I know there must be tons of mistakes in them. It took me ages, many pieces down the road to see that I was often making a mess of the contrasting and/or saturation.

I've only ever used photoshop, which I got for work, so I don't know other programs and will be pretty useless probably in offering any helpful advice. Although things are quite often similar so you never know. Does Gimp work by created layers? If so, you could possibly put a layer mask on the colour balance layer and then brush out (to differing degrees) the blue it puts over the whole image in any specific places you want it removing or lightening (like Spike's hair). Or Gimp doesn't work like photoshop in that way at all and everything I've just said will be garbled nonsense to you. If so, sorry. :D I'm sure there will be plenty of people more experienced and familiar with Gimp that can advise you if it is totally different and I'll just look forward to seeing your continuing explorations. :)

P
Priceless
20 hours on one piece, you must have the patience of a saint. I'm too slapdash :-(