• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Pt3: Before: Easter Sunday 1992 - Then: Friday 23rd December 2016 (late afternoon)

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Staff member
Black Thorn
This is the place to post for this section of the book. Feel free to post your thoughts

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Staff member
Black Thorn
So seems pretty clear that Paul is cheating on her, the no messages on the phone, taking the lingerie bag when he left. All signs seem to point to her sister Claire, but do you really think it is Claire or is she a red herring? Feels like it’d be too obvious for it to be Claire.

What do you think about Amber using laxatives in Madelines coffee? Or sabotaging her by leaving her mic on? Like I see that Madeline is a pretty terrible person herself, but this is just... I’m uncomfortable. The tweeting rumors stuff was one thing, this is disturbing. Also – doesn’t it seem flipping obvious that she’s sabotaging Madeline? It can’t be that hard to put together:

-Threatened to get sacked.
-Shows up in new clothes and with a new attitude.
-Suddenly there are rumors about Madeline being fired (Matthew must’ve noticed as well)
-Amber is booking him lunches sans Madeline.
-Madeline starts being sick and starts royally messing up online and getting threatening posts into the office where someone must have access.
I know she didn’t tell Matthew about the threats yet but... even with just the rest. How thick are the rest of the crew there?
The pay off of why she needs to keep this job so badly better be good, for now I feel like she’s both malicious and incompetent and shouldn’t get to keep it.

What do you think about her friendship with Taylor and the flashbacks to her childhood? Does it make you feel sorry for little Amber? The thing with the bracelet on her birthday did make me feel rather sad for her actually.
Question: Is Amber’s mom a surrogate? She notes that her mom was fat, then got slim again, now she’s fat again and after the trip down the stairs she’s afraid for the baby... It could just mean that she had a miscarriage the first time around, since fat went slim with no mention of a baby, but I’m wondering...

Nice Twist! With the parents. Even with the “morbid” comment from Paul about her dad’s voicemail I didn’t pick up on it. However, “Even in death they chose her over me”... well honestly Amber, it seems like they made the right call there. I wouldn’t have put you on my list of emergency contacts either.

“She cried on the outside for weeks. I cried on the inside forever.” Seriously, I hate this woman. Consumate victim. I’m sorry if I’m like really harsh, but she truly annoys me. Then again, I kind of hate Edward too with his “members only” restaurant and let’s date a married woman thing.

Taake is a terrbile person, pt 2: “It was a girl”. From all I’ve seen of Amber so far, yes I’m awful, but I’m kind of with her mother on the whole Amber maybe shouldn’t be a parent thing. Maybe I’m completely misjudging her, but she literally frightens me at times so... sorry, not sorry.

Ugh, Dr. Creepy. It’s a creepy scene and I really think it is real BUT – with her parents and all – can we trust it really is happening? 😉

Negatives: Amber continues to be a chore to read
“Laughing at something I’m not privvy too”, she thinks when two strangers enter a bathroom. Seriously, not everything is about you Amber. Go out to your date and stop feeling sorry for yourself.
“You can’t see the dirt or sorrow in the dark” Soooo melodramatic.

Positives: I find that I really enjoy getting only Amber’s pov at the hospital. Like it is frustrating not to know why Paul and Claire started out bickering and now seem like fast friends, but I like that you have to try to piece it together. It’s a good set up. Now Paul seems all lovey and sweet.
Also, this whole thing is reminding me that there is like 1 in 10 000 or something, who are actually awake during anesthesia and feel and hear everything that’s going on to them, just can’t let anyone know... horrifying scenario. Though I don’t like Amber, I think she writes her being trapped inside her head very well.

Even my cold dead heart grew a size towards the last paragraphs of this section. Her freindship with Taylor started to move me and scene where Edward rolls away with her inert body had me screaming in horror internally. I’m really starting to feel her claustrophonbia
I’m calling him Dr. Creepy in my head, but now it seems like he’s not a doctor at all? Ugh. Chills.

Is Jo imaginary!?

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
So, I have finished part 3. I have to say the author knew how to make me engrossed in a story. She tells you just enough and yet too little to throw you off. I am totally into this story and I thought this part was the best so far.

So seems pretty clear that Paul is cheating on her, the no messages on the phone, taking the lingerie bag when he left. All signs seem to point to her sister Claire, but do you really think it is Claire or is she a red herring? Feels like it’d be too obvious for it to be Claire
Claire actually seems genuine to me. Maybe they did it once, and she regrets it?
As much as Paul seems like an asshole, he actually seems upset with what's going on with Amber. I feel sympathetic towards him... a bit.

What do you think about Amber using laxatives in Madelines coffee? Or sabotaging her by leaving her mic on? Like I see that Madeline is a pretty terrible person herself, but this is just... I’m uncomfortable. The tweeting rumors stuff was one thing, this is disturbing. Also – doesn’t it seem flipping obvious that she’s sabotaging Madeline? It can’t be that hard to put together
Amber definitely crossed the line, what she is doing is bordering on psychotic. Even though the mic thing was predictable, I found it fun to read. I am enjoying this evil-ish Amber.

Imo, it is pretty obvious that Amber was behind it. I think Matthew would have figured it at least.

What do you think about her friendship with Taylor and the flashbacks to her childhood? Does it make you feel sorry for little Amber? The thing with the bracelet on her birthday did make me feel rather sad for her actually.
Question: Is Amber’s mom a surrogate? She notes that her mom was fat, then got slim again, now she’s fat again and after the trip down the stairs she’s afraid for the baby... It could just mean that she had a miscarriage the first time around, since fat went slim with no mention of a baby, but I’m wondering.
I am really enjoying the adventures with Taylor. I feel bad for Amber, because of her situation, but I feel like she is lying about something.

You make a good point, maybe she was a surrogate mom (then Taylor and Amber could be sisters).

“It was a girl”. From all I’ve seen of Amber so far, yes I’m awful, but I’m kind of with her mother on the whole Amber maybe shouldn’t be a parent thing.
I think Amber would have made a good mother...after 5 years of therapy. This woman needs some help geez.

I did notice that she made a reference to her past. Did she get an abortion when she was younger?

Also, she lied about sex with Paul. She said that he didn't touch her for 6 months. And 13 weeks...isn't 6 months. Just sayin'.

Is Jo imaginary!?
I think Jo is a man. For sure.

Off to part 4! I am on a roll today :)

Taake
Taake
You are, but this book was so easy to get into. A lot of fun, I agree

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
This was definitely the best part so far and also the one that got me really thinking the most. With the idea in my mind that we can't trust the narrative and the words from some of the other characters, I do have a few ideas.

- Her mother said something about 'it starting again'; I think Amber has a mental illness (beyond OCD) that causes some sort of violent outbursts. Maybe she stopped taking medication?
- I'm totally into @Foxy's theory about Jo(e) and it's possible he was the father of the aborted girl.
- I'm disappointed that Edward did turn out to be the bad guy, but with this new night porter twist, I may come to enjoy it after all.

What do we think Madeline's connection is to Taylor if there is one? Or was that not what Amber recognized her house as? What or who does Amber think Madeline is connected to from her past?

One thing I'm excited for, for the miniseries, is them filming Amber's coma dreams. I think that could be a very cool thing to see unfold on a screen.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
I agree with Puppet, this was the best part so far.

I didn't see the parents being dead twist coming.

Jo is totally a man, and I too think he was someone she was involved with for a short period of time.

The Madeline revenge thing started out interesting but is unbelievable now. There is zero chance that she wouldn't have put two and two together that Amber was setting her up. I also don't think she would slip up that easily.

I think Madeline's house was def supposed to be Taylor's house. But I'm not sure what the connection would be.

Is Taylor real? Some of the diary entries made me wonder if she is an imaginary friend. Maybe Amber has had delusions since she was a child.

Dr. Creepy is a good name for Edward.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm starting to wonder if maybe Madelnie is Taylor, maybe they Amber changed schools again and they lost contact and Taylor changed her name.

I'm sad that Dr Creepy is Edward, I'm hoping it turns out to be someone else.

Good twist with the parents though, makes me wonder what else isn't real, is Dr Creepy really even there?

Taake
Taake
Just the feelings I had! Also, man, you're going through this quicky! :)
Top Bottom