• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Pt4: Then Friday 23rd December 2016 - Now: New Year's Eve 2016

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Staff member
Black Thorn
Halfway through, roughly. Feel free to post your thoughts!

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
Now I’m thinking about the first part of hte book when she’s having a drink with Jo, say something, then thinks “I’m being too loud” because everyone is staring at her... Guess we now know she wasn’t being too loud.

On waking up in Edwards bed: Ugh. This is awful. It feels almost like a horror movie, I half expected him to chase her or something. Really upsetting scene all in all. Though, the one time I feel pity for this woman, she, the woman who feels sorry for herself for everything, feels like she doesn’t deserve pity. *slams head against wall*

I’ve been wondering about the abscence of Claire in the flashbacks to 1992. So, do you think she’s adopted... or imaginary as well? Split personality?

The thing about the letters at least makes some sense of why Edward is doing this. If he’s a porter and not a doctor then it seems like Claire did ruin his career and made him think Amber did it. What a bitch move. Why is Amber such a push over for Claire?

Amber as a child continues to frighten me.

Why has she targeted Madeline do you think? What piece of the past does she fit into? Clearly Claire’s.

Also, EW! Paul returned the underwear he’d gotten Amber in a size to small. Not knowing she had already tried them on. Tried them on. Gross. And he returned them. There had better have been one of those plastic pantyliners in them like bathing suits sometimes have.

Paul seems genuinely loving and caring. The book cover a red herring?

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
Just finished part 4. Every time I think I know where this book is going it pulls a 180.

Is Jo an imagine of who she wants/wanted to be in life. Fashionable, nice, caring, younger looking, etc.
On waking up in Edwards bed: Ugh. This is awful. It feels almost like a horror movie, I half expected him to chase her or something. Really upsetting scene all in all. Though, the one time I feel pity for this woman, she, the woman who feels sorry for herself for everything, feels like she doesn’t deserve pity. *slams head against wall*
Taake, I did think of you when I read that line. Honestly, this was the only moment I felt pity for her really.

So, did Edward drug her? Or do you think she was lying about that as well.

The scene was creepy and I was just wanting her to stop standing around and get out of the apartment!!!

I’ve been wondering about the abscence of Claire in the flashbacks to 1992. So, do you think she’s adopted... or imaginary as well? Split personality?
I think Claire was adopted, because in one line Amber thinks to herself that Claire tries to get the last of her parents's DNA out of her. So it seems like adoption.
The thing about the letters at least makes some sense of why Edward is doing this. If he’s a porter and not a doctor then it seems like Claire did ruin his career and made him think Amber did it. What a bitch move. Why is Amber such a push over for Claire?
Yeah, it was a shitty thing to do, but I think Edward's obsession goes deeper than just hatred. I mean this guy is stalker 101.

Why has she targeted Madeline do you think? What piece of the past
I literally have no idea. Maybe she said something about Paul's book.

Okay, this reminds me. Amber said she was a glorified PA to Madeline. At the beginning of the book she encounters this PA in the bathroom and wonders how somebody could do this to themselves. Projecting much?

Paul seems genuinely loving and caring
I feel bad for Paul. I misunderstood him and really disliked him, because of his behaviour. Poor dude.

Also, why didn't Amber tell Paul that (unless that was a lie too) she was raped by Edward. It doesn't even seem to cross her mind?

Off to part 5. So close to finishing :)

Taake
Taake
I definitely think he drugged her. Uuugh, just thinking about him is giving me the creeps again

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
Good catch on the DNA thing, I totally missed that!

I agree on Paul. But I guess the whole "my husband doesn't love me anymore" on the cover kind of set one up to misunderstand him, haha. Clever move!

I agree about her not telling Paul about being raped. It is really strange. Like, at this point I feel genuinely attached to them and their relationship... but it seems really dysfunctional. Like they don't know how to truly communicate with each other at all.

Foxy
Foxy
I think if you reread this book yoi will probably find tons of lies we've missed.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Now I'm thinking that maybe Edward isn't even at the hospital but that she's imagining him there as a fill in the blanks from what happened that night, knowing that he works in a hospital.

The diary entries are making it all the more confusing, so they've moved because she kept getting kicked out of school?

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
That last diary entry....what a little shit. Amber was a scary child.

I also think Claire is going to end up being adopted.

The scene in Edwards appartment....super creepy. She mentions getting a lemonade then going to the bathroom, so it's implied that Edward was alone with her drink, I guess she was drugged.

I don't know about Paul. Amber's memories and descriptions aren't all that reliable, but he seems to be hiding something or at least intentionally not spending time with her. Given he went from writing a successful first novel to not being able to write anything I'm guessing he isn't all that happy with life. I still wonder what his fight with Claire at the hospital was about.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Every time I think I know where this book is going it pulls a 180.
Me, every time I read a new part :D

I thought I was getting better at not just automatically trusting Amber's narrative, but wow we are really not supposed to trust anything from her or her surroundings. First, her parents turn out to be dead, then her sister is not actually her sister (not biologically, far as we know) then Jo turns out to be imaginary. All we need now is to find out that Amber is really locked up in an asylum and has made up her whole life. Or she's just living alone, not married and an only child. Really, everything and anything is possible right now.

What really stuck with me from this part, was the 'mall-event' with the twins. Amber said that people kept staring, so...are the twins hers and Claire isn't real, is none of it real and people stared cause she was talking to no one, or something third? Very strange...

Also, agree that the diary entries are the creepiest parts. When Amber and Taylor were on that go-around, I kept picturing someone finding Taylor's body there cause Amber killed her. This book is really messing with my head :D

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
Me, every time I read a new part :D

I thought I was getting better at not just automatically trusting Amber's narrative, but wow we are really not supposed to trust anything from her or her surroundings.
This book really taught me how automatically, even when told not to, I trust the narrator, lol. Then I just started to question everything instead, lol. Like you said, anything is possible! :D

Top Bottom