• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Pt5: Then: Christmas Eve 2016 (afternoon) - Before: Thursday 7th January 1993

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Staff member
Black Thorn
Things should be heating up... feel free to post your thoughts!

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Staff member
Black Thorn
I feel like this one is a bit of a jumble to me, maybe because it’s often the same dates and the paragraphs feel shorter so there’s a lot of jumping back and forth. My heart has grown another size and I do feel for Amber, Edward is genuinely frightening and I’m mystified as to whether she has some kind of split personality or if she, like her parents, just turn into a different person when she drinks.

Didn’t care much for the “history has a way of repeating itself” part.

I’m still a bit mystified by Amber as a child. Like she’s 11 but she doesn’t seem like she’s 11, she’s not allowed around the oven or near scissors... does that sound like an 11 year old to you guys?
I get that she’s different, clearly, but I’m getting frustrated with how this little girl, whose antipathy towards her parents frankly seems psychotic at times and not like regular “I hate you” kid stuff, turns into the adult Amber who just seems to have a few ticks and well, certainly, some emotional problems. But she doesn’t seem to have rage issues.

I’m also frustrated because, ok, so Edward left and she doesn’t want Paul to find out about him, but at the same time... she was just assaulted in her home and her instinct is to hide in the bathroom and fix herself up so her husband won’t notice. I get that people don’t always act rationally, but lies upon lies is just going to make things worse, no? He’ll be less likely to believe you the worse it gets.

Can’t wait for that camera to pick up on Dr. Creepy, or porter Creepy, or whatever Edward really is.

Ooooook, above were my notes before the last two sections of this part... and OOOOOOH, well this explains why Amber has had such a bee in her bonnet about Claire and why the girl in the journals sounded like a straight up psycho who’d murder people. Good twist, did you guys see it coming?

Also, *vomiting forever* over Edward raping her in the hospital, more so for the forcing her fingers into her mouth and the “this is us, what we taste like”... ugh, not that the rape isn’t terrible, it is of course, but that part literally made my stomach turn. Surely it’s on tape though?

Can’t wait to see where we go from here, I’m very entertained.

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
Oh my! What a story. I actually yelled out loud when it was revealed it was Claire. My gf just stared at me, but I can't say anything, because I want her to read this book too.

Edward, please die. Just go away. You asshole.

So was the rape scene real or not? Because the last line is 'she is crashing'. I find it hard to tell the difference between dream and reality.

Oh man I know my thoughts are on the short side, but I have to finish it!!!

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Ok now I'm really confused, so it's not Amber's diaries we are reading but Claire's, and Amber was Taylor, Taylor was builled at school and Claire was the one that kept moving and getting kicked out, but she made friends with Taylor and Claire killed her parents and then moved in with Taylor and her family. The mother at the spa was Amber's actual mother and Claire was still the favourite child?

So if the rape in the hospital actually did happen, does that mean it's on Paul's camera?

At least we get the answer to the Madeleine question!

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
This section was up and down for me. The story was all over the place and hard to follow at times, but the Claire twist was good and I didn't suspect that. I had been guessing that Taylor was an imaginary friend but it turns out that she just introduced Amber to the imaginary friend.

The rape scene......OMG so so disturbing.

I’m also frustrated because, ok, so Edward left and she doesn’t want Paul to find out about him, but at the same time... she was just assaulted in her home and her instinct is to hide in the bathroom and fix herself up so her husband won’t notice. I get that people don’t always act rationally, but lies upon lies is just going to make things worse, no? He’ll be less likely to believe you the worse it gets.
This really bothered me too. Like why is she keeping this a secret from Paul? I get that if she told him them everything about Claire would likely come out, but it still doesn't seem believable for Amber to be that scared of Claire. Weird bit about Claire having to remind Amber of how creepy Edward was back in the day. Why she block out those memories? PTSD? Also, I'm surprised Amber and Paul haven't run off since the death of Ambers parents. Why stay around Claire?

So was the rape scene real or not? Because the last line is 'she is crashing'. I find it hard to tell the difference between dream and reality.
I think it was real, but after he finished he added more drugs to her IV. My understanding is that she was just starting to come out of the coma right and Edward came in and raped her, but that she was able to "play dead" long enough for him to leave. I assumed her crashing was her body reacting to getting some of the drug then her pulling out the IV's.

Ok now I'm really confused, so it's not Amber's diaries we are reading but Claire's, and Amber was Taylor, Taylor was builled at school and Claire was the one that kept moving and getting kicked out, but she made friends with Taylor and Claire killed her parents and then moved in with Taylor and her family. The mother at the spa was Amber's actual mother and Claire was still the favourite child?
That part confused me too. Did Amber's mom really say that to her, or is it a weird flashback that is suppose to be unreliable? Did Amber's (Taylor's) parents feel so badly for Claire that they spoiled her and turned a blind eye to how crazy she was?

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Mother. Of. God!

Yeah, that just happened. I definitely did not see that coming 😲

I kinda like how this part is, the short chapters really makes it feel like we're getting closer to an answer. It sets good tension, for me.

I'm still pretty wrapped up in that GIANT TWIST and thinking that I'm gonna need a re-read before the end of this year. Also, the rape scene was sudden and horrible, much like actual rape is 😦

I'm on my phone so I'm gonna stop here and immediately read the final part. See y'all soon in the next thread.

Top Bottom