• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Pt6: Now: Monday 2nd January 2017 - Later: Spring 2017

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
Final stretch... let's do this! Feel free to post your thoughts!

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
Twists and turns, twists and turns... that ending though. Honestly, if this series goes well, that's like the perfect set up for an even crazier season 2!

I definitely understand now why Amber had issues with her parents loving Claire so much. In hindsight her character makes a bit more sense, however, as creepy as both of them are... I do feel like Claire is a more cohesive character. Amber feels like she's whatever the plot needs her to be, more like a device than a character basically. I really like the "Taylor made me do it", but I'm also like... eh, is it credible? Not entirely sure. Two peas in a pod sure but I don't know. It felt a bit forced to me.

I did really like this book however, quite the ride. It was never boring, though the prose was somewhat overly verbiose at times. I'll definitely tune into the series to see what this'll look like on the screen. It left me very nervous about the puppy and the twins though... will they bite the dust when they get "dull"? Who knows. These women are crazy.

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
What a book! Such a great read! I will definitely pick up more novels by this author. I really hadn't expected that I would enjoy this book, but it was great!

All the twists and turns. I thought Claire was insane...well Amber takes it next level. I feel for Paul as he is the only genuinely good person. Well, except the drinking apparently, but I don't know if I believe Amber.

I think this could really work well as a TV series, as long as they keep the narrative the same.

Btw, who doesn't like a burnt Edward? You could even say he liked his tanning bed to be extra crispy! Okay, sorry for my lame jokes ;)

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
In hindsight her character makes a bit more sense, however, as creepy as both of them are... I do feel like Claire is a more cohesive character. Amber feels like she's whatever the plot needs her to be, more like a device than a character basically. I really like the "Taylor made me do it", but I'm also like... eh, is it credible? Not entirely sure. Two peas in a pod sure but I don't know. It felt a bit forced to me.
Yeah, this is me. Except I didn't really like the book that much. It was enough to keep me reading, but I think I would have given up on it if not for the book club. It didn't seem like the story was building so much as just erasing what came before to try to be shocking. (I'm sure it was carefully crafted and that would be obvious on re-read, but for a first time through, I couldn't remember enough of the specific details to feel like I could accurately change my opinions about the characters to match what we learned.) So for me, not a satisfying read. I hope SMG's version does well, though!

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
So for me, not a satisfying read. I hope SMG's version does well, though!
I think it will. As I was reading it, I kept thinking how visual it felt, like I could "see" a lot of things in front of me, almost as if it was written with future scripts in mind, lol.

But I understand what you're saying, at first I was like "meh, ready to quit" but continued for the bookclub. Now I did really end up enjoying it because it was such a topsy turvy soap opera in a way, but I do think, in essence, this'll do better on the screen than on the written page. I do wonder how the flashbacks to the kids will work though, without spoiling anything.

If SMG's daughter wants to be an actress, we know who can play little-Amber :D

Grace
Grace
Yeah, I do think a screen version will be better!

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
I felt the book was very visual too. I could see the scenes playing out in my head. I seem to be in the minority regarding liking the book, right? I mean it was Shakespeare, but I thought it was a fun little book.

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
I felt the book was very visual too. I could see the scenes playing out in my head. I seem to be in the minority regarding liking the book, right? I mean it was Shakespeare, but I thought it was a fun little book.
Oh I enjoyed it, it just took me a beat to get into it. But I thought it was fun.
I'm not sure I'll read more of the author, but I'm not ruling it out either. :)

Foxy
Foxy
ah, I see!

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Well ok, that's finished and Claire seemed obsessive, but Amber was just crazy, maybe because her plan to keep Claire backfired on her and her parents ended up preferring Claire.

It'll be interesting to see it on screen, but there's a lot of time jumps, which I think they're going to have to make clear in the show.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Whew finished.

Two peas in a pod for sure. Who left the bracelet at the end? There has to be another crazy person we weren't introduced to.

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
Whew finished.

Two peas in a pod for sure. Who left the bracelet at the end? There has to be another crazy person we weren't introduced to.
I assumed Claire survived somehow? But lol, it’d be pretty great if there is another nut job. It’d be like when Sweet Valley High did extra ”evil twin” then followed that up with the evil twin’s evil twin.

brinkster130
brinkster130
Yes! Haha

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Phew that was quite the ride. Well, I certainly enjoyed it and, like @Foxy, I would definitely read more from the author. I'm at my mom's atm, so I can't write too much right now, but tomorrow I will put up my final thoughts in the last thread ☺

Top Bottom