• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Pure evil?

Crashing Doors

Potential
I personally think Lilah is just plain evil--I love, but she's bad to the core.

What do you guys think of her though? Anything give you hints that she was doing all this evil stuff for some hidden reason?

I also wanted to know your guys' take on whether her badness makes you like her more, or less? Like with some characters who are "evil" but they have a soft side--that drives me nuts.

She always struck me as different than most of the villains on Buffy, in that being bad was almost like sitting back eating a bowl of popcorn, with a big smile on her face because she knows how bad she is. I kind of like that. She isn't good, but at least she has no qualms or misconceptions about it.

She doesn't delude herself into thinking she's good despite doing evil things. That's why I enjoy watching her scenes so much.

bespangeled
bespangeled
I adore Lilah - as well as Weslah

Tasha

Dn'* letthespacebugsbite!
Sineya
i loved Lilah in angel, especially when she and Wesley were a 'thing'.

what do you think what would have happened if she had never have died.

Do ya think she would have turned over to the good side?

i think she might of.????

white avenger

white avenger
I never thought that Lilah was as much evil as just a lady who made a commitment, possibly in either haste or ignorance of the entire situation, or both, and, once committed, had no real choice in the matter.

Crashing Doors

Potential
I don't know, I could see her struggling a lot with that decision.

I like what you said, White Avenger. She must have been pretty young when making that decision though; I've always seen Lilah as an extremely smart woman, so it'd be hard to think of the Lilah we know from the show make that decision. Maybe she did during college or something, then just decided to stick with it because the alternative was death (or whatever else W&H could conjure up).

Flannen

Flannix
Lilah really gets under my skin. She's SUCH a bitca! :p

I don't dislike her though, although I do love it whenever Angel scares the crap out of her.

I used to think she was totally evil, but I kinda really felt for her when she was on the phone to her mum in season 3, and you find out she has dementia or something. And I don't think you can say she is pure evil, considering her actions in 'Billy'.

I do agree that at least she knows she doesn't have a conscience, she's exactly who she says is.

mikeywikey

Townie
I don't think lilah was really evil or good, I think that she was always just out for herself,but had to do what was expected from WR&H, more for survival than anything else. We saw her go against the company enough times( stealing files etc ) so that they didn't fire /kill her If she had't of died she probably would have become one of the good guys, but if she was in S5 of Angel then Eve wouldn't have been and most of the story lines wouldn't have worked.

I would have liked more back story on Lilah so that we knew who was.

Crashing Doors

Potential
I would have as well. I like the idea of her just being out for herself; she's not pure evil, and even though she's not doing good things, she's only doing bad things because of her contract with Wolfram and Hart.

I don't think lilah was really evil or good, I think that she was always just out for herself,but had to do what was expected from WR&H, more for survival than anything else. We saw her go against the company enough times( stealing files etc ) so that they didn't fire /kill her If she had't of died she probably would have become one of the good guys, but if she was in S5 of Angel then Eve wouldn't have been and most of the story lines wouldn't have worked.

I would have liked more back story on Lilah so that we knew who was.
I agree!

Lilah, IMO, was one of the more nuanced and easy to believe characters in the Whedonverse simply because we were never given her backstory--she just was, and you had to take her as she was or leave her. Sometimes I feel that the main characters were given too much backstory to make us sympathize with them--a little goes a long way.

Chris2

Potential
I never thought that Lilah was as much evil as just a lady who made a commitment, possibly in either haste or ignorance of the entire situation, or both, and, once committed, had no real choice in the matter.
I don't know. She probably did start out that way, but as she says to Angel in Sleep Tight, she became the mask years ago. Now she's ruthless, and I think many of the things she does now demonstrate cruelty on her part rather than just amoral pragmatism, such as torturing Cordelia with visions in That Vision Thing, or the way she generally takes pleasure in ruining Angel's life. She never shows any kind of conflict or remorse over her actions, either.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I love Lilah, she's a sexy bitch. But I don't think she was pure evil, she showed compassion in certain situations, and she seemed like she genuinely cared about Wes.

GrrArghx

No touching my clipboard!
I never realized how much I liked Lilah until she died.
I did NOT like her AT ALL at first, but I definitely warmed up to her.
I think that has alot to do with how Wesley felt about her though. lol
It wrings my heart in two whenever I see that man upset :(

Anyways, Lilah was a great character.
She definitely was a first class evil bitca, but I think that's what made her great.
She always admitted that she was just evil and she had no problem with her lifetime contract to Wolfram & Hart after she died.
I honestly don't think I would've enjoyed seeing her on the good side.
She's much better the way she was :D

Tome
Tome
[No message]

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
One of the things we will never know, but I thought that if Lilah and Angel had got together the ratings for the show could have gone through the roof.

T
thevikingsgirl
I can totally see that.

TheGrandmaster

Like a Boss.
I don't think Lilah was pure evil, if such a thing exists. For me, pure evil is someone who does evil for pleasure and enjoys causing pain and seeing others suffer. I think Lilah was evil because it was her job, and she didn't really care as long as she was getting paid, she wasn't worried about hurting people to get the job done, but she didn't do it for fun. Although she did seem to enjoy it quite a lot.

Wishing Oceans

I don't think, I know.
As others (and Lilah herself) have said, Lilah was for herself. She didn't really do anything because it was "Good" or "Evil", she did them to help herself come out on top. As she said, "I'm what I believe in.", and "The good thing about being in it for yourself? You always come out on the winning team."

As people have also said, Lilah was a true heartless b****, and I love her for that. She was in it for herself, she worked for herself, and up until Wes she really didn't give about anybody besides herself. Of course, Wes was her shade of gray. He made her reveal her more vulnerable side that everybody has. That's why she's not "Pure evil"- She has emotions. She just makes different decisions and has different priorities that are more selfish than selfless.

But really, for her, as I said... Well, to quote The First, "It's not about right. It's not about wrong. It's about power." Lilah really got that.

Top Bottom