• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Pylea

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Do you love or hate the Pylea arc during Angel's 2nd season?
It seems to be 50-50 on people who love & hate it.
I personally loved it!
I love the Groosalugg , I loved getting more of Lorne's back story, getting introduced to Fred, Cordelia as a princess was great, Angel's reaction to not burning in the sun was so cute haha.
Overall I'm obsessed with the arc.
What about you!

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Actually I think it's more like 25-75 lol. Most fans seems to either hate it or despise it or just dislike it.

I love it :D

I think it's funny, a nice reprieve from the status quo, a great introduction for Fredikins, a great look into Lorne's past and who he is, Cordelia's vision arc gets some traction and the setting is really well made by the crew. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it whatsoever and it was exactly what we needed after a rather emotionally heavy S2.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Actually I think it's more like 25-75 lol. Most fans seems to either hate it or despise it or just dislike it.

I think it's funny, a nice reprieve from the status quo, a great introduction for Fredikins, a great look into Lorne's past and who he is, Cordelia's vision arc gets some traction and the setting is really well made by the crew. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it whatsoever and it was exactly what we needed after a rather emotionally heavy S2.
I don't get why people would dislike it.
It was great imo !
Sure I wouldn't want it for a whole season or something but I enjoyed going to a new reality.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn

Pretty much my feelings too. It also gave us perhaps the most hilarious moment in the Buffyverse:
(I have to post the whole scene because gifs just don't do it justice)

Btw @Puppet, your avatar is adorable!

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
I don't know who's funnier;
Numfar, or Lorne's mum!

TotallySpiked

Slaying
Black Thorn
I'm the group who doesn't like it.
I'm not even overly sure why I don't like it. I've only seen it twice so maybe it gets better the more you see it?
I think it just reminded me of Xena which I don't like either and the whole Groo thing was strange as well. I was definately relieved when it was over.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
I think it just reminded me of Xena which I don't like either

I fear we can never be friends.:(

Joking aside, in terms of the tone/feel of the dimension I don't think Pylea was totally far fetched. It does contrast starkly with the previous tone of the show but it also feels a bit more Buffyesque, which is a vibe the show went back to again in S5. I mean Pylea and Anya's flashbacks in selfless were pretty much the same set. Also, this is a 'verse where worlds consisting of nothing but shrimp are a thing.

Last edited:

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya

Joking aside, in terms of the tone/feel of the dimension I don't think Pylea was totally far fetched. It does contrast starkly with the previous tone of the show but it also feels a bit more Buffyesque, which is a vibe the show went back to again in S5. I mean Pylea and Anya's flashbacks in selfless were pretty much the same set. Also, this is a 'verse where worlds consisting of nothing but shrimp are a thing.
Pylea was deffo more of a Buffy type thing honestly!
I would've loved it seen on there!
I think for fans who enjoy Angel more then Buffy The Vampire Slayer don't like the change of Pylea

TotallySpiked

Slaying
Black Thorn

Haha I've tried to like it. I will say that there was some funny moments which were good and seeing David out in the sunshine was a nice change. I think I'll do a series rewatch soon so I'll see if my mind changes at that stage.

Black Thorn
I LOVED the Pylea arc. Sure, the story lagged a bit here and there; but some of the funniest moments in the series were in Pylea.

Angel in the mirror, concerned about his hair.

Lorne's mum. :D

Obviously Numfar's dancing!

Cordy trying to escape WITH the treasure.

Everyone's reaction when Lorne's head opened its eyes and spoke.

Though I was never impressed with Groo or the priests, I did enjoy Fred's introduction.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Hated it. But I hated Lorne. Pylea changed The Host to Lorne. It can't be forgiven. I cheered when his head was in the basket and wept when he managed to live.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Could you expand on this a bit please? Was it because he no longer functioned solely as a moral/spiritual adviser to Angel?
He went from being a supporting character to a main character. As a main character he was nothing but a jester. Nameless demon-guy that ran a karaoke can be a jester because he is not 'meaningful' or in enough episodes, but as a main character he was solely one-dimensional and added nothing but punchlines.

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
It has only been recently that I realised so many people dislike the Pylea arc. I somewhat enjoyed it. I actually quite enjoy Lorne as a character, but I always enjoy the company of 'flamboyant' men so this makes sense. I actually would have preferred we never see alternate realities. It's a lot easier to imagine all sorts of crazy ideas.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
It has only been recently that I realised so many people dislike the Pylea arc. I somewhat enjoyed it. I actually quite enjoy Lorne as a character, but I always enjoy the company of 'flamboyant' men so this makes sense. I actually would have preferred we never see alternate realities. It's a lot easier to imagine all sorts of crazy ideas.
I think some don't like it either cause it changed Lorne's role after Pylea or they weren't invested enough in Lorne by that point to care about such a backstory

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
I think some don't like it either cause it changed Lorne's role after Pylea or they weren't invested enough in Lorne by that point to care about such a backstory
See the interesting thing is that I never really felt like it was Lorne's backstory. I thought it focussed much more on Cordelia's journey to warrior woman, and introducing Fred as a new character.

Black Thorn
He went from being a supporting character to a main character. As a main character he was nothing but a jester.
Absolutely agree. It became even worse in S5 when he was head of the entertainment division at Wolfram and Hart. He was just TOO smarmy and impressed with famous people. (Then again, I hate entertainment shows/reporters in real life)

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Absolutely agree. It became even worse in S5 when he was head of the entertainment division at Wolfram and Hart. He was just TOO smarmy and impressed with famous people. (Then again, I hate entertainment shows/reporters in real life)
I did like that Halloween episode but that was really the only time I liked anything with Lorne in it. Yes, S5 was hard to ignore him. I just wanted him to shut up.

Top Bottom