• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Pylea

L

Living Dead Boy

I think Angel is a darker show in general but for me I sometimes prefer being a lighter vibe!
S2 had such a dark vibe already that Pylea being a lot lighter was a nice shift for me!
And see here's the thing, I usually like it when shows or movies change up the pace a bit, or flips expectations on its head, but the execution has to be done right. But see I haven't rewatched Angel as much as I do Buffy, so I feel like I need to revisit the Plyea arc. Maybe get a new perspective?

Edit: @Mr. Pole : Rewatch it all you want it still doesn't fit the tone of the show.

Haha you're probably right, but it wouldn't hurt to see if age has anything to do with my change in opinions. ;)

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
And see here's the thing, I usually like it when shows or movies change up the pace a bit, or flips expectations on its head, but the execution has to be done right. But see I haven't rewatched Angel as much as I do Buffy, so I feel like I need to revisit the Plyea arc. Maybe get a new perspective?
Maybe! I just loved the Pylea arc!
Lorne got some more backstory. Cordelia was fantastic in the Pylea Arc she became stronger as a woman & was hilarious as the princess!
The Groosalugg is super hot! & who doesn't love being introduced to queen Fred?

L
Living Dead Boy
Cordy was definitely hilarious! The episodes did have some great moments!

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I'd have to somewhat agree with @PaulParmar1 here, I think the reason I enjoy the Pylea arc is because it comes off the tail end of a very dark season. In some aspects it's darker even than Buffy S6, and so those last three episodes were a nice reprieve, a nice breather for the audience, imo.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I'd have to somewhat agree with @PaulParmar1 here, I think the reason I enjoy the Pylea arc is because it comes off the tail end of a very dark season. In some aspects it's darker even than Buffy S6, and so those last three episodes were a nice reprieve, a nice breather for the audience, imo.
Agreed! + it really brought the group back together. After Angel's dark phase his ties with Cordy, gunn and Wesley weren't as strong as before. & Pylea recovered them.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
And see here's the thing, I usually like it when shows or movies change up the pace a bit, or flips expectations on its head, but the execution has to be done right.
Want a good example of this done right? Spin the Bottle. Season 4 chaos and sadness all around little magic spell and off we go to have a little fun. But when we get out of the spell we have to continue to face the consequences of real life. I don’t mind/actually enjoy when we have small breaks to give a small tonal change (like OMwF or Tabula Rasa).

What @Grace says has always been my problem with post epiphany Angel/Cordy. I’m also fine with the clothes and fine with the gesture on Angel’s part but it would have been nice to see the pair (and he and Wes/Gunn) work through their problems a little better rather than abruptly having them wisked away to never never land and then we never really resolve those issues?

@EarthLogic I’m on my phone and selecting for quotes is a pain but your analysis on the arc is pretty insightful. And I can really appreciate the setting and the stories being told. I also think through the looking glass has a lot of the Minear I love. But ultimately they lost me with the abrupt tonal shift and their failure to IMO deal with the fall out of the Season 2 depression and alienation.

To me it was like in BtVS Season 7 after Buffy got kicked out of the house, went back and saved the Slayers and walked straight back into her house only to start joking around with Giles and Willow. I hate when significant chasms in relationships are not properly addressed and we are supposed to forget it ever happened.

I think it’s funny that there have now been two comparisons between Pylea arc and Xena. For the record I loved Xena! ;)

Kratos

Scooby
I always loved the Pyrea arc. It really gave one of my favourite characters, Cordy, a chance to shine and all the others go through some personal growth too. Didn’t know some people hated it until just now. It reminded me of the film The Princess Bride which I love also. Was a nice break from the darkness of this season imo.

Top Bottom