1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question About Snyder

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by Agent Z, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Agent Z

Agent Z Townie

We know he knew about the Hellmouth and all the weird occurrences in Sunnydale. But did he know about Buffy being the Slayer and the Mayor's Ascension? For the latter it seems the answer is no given his reaction in the finale of season 3. For the former, I don't recall him ever using the word Slayer. Is it possible Snyder wasn't really a villain all along but just someone being manipulated by the Mayor?

2. Puppet

Puppet My ass is not pansy!

Black Thorn
    I absolutely believe that Snyder was a villain, albeit a human one with limited powers of what he could do. Whether or not he'd ever heard the term Slayer spoken before, I don't doubt that he knew that Buffy was the only thing standing between the monsters and the innocents of the town, but as far as he was concerned, the prestigious mayor asked him to do a job and he would damn well get it done!

I don't think he knew about the Ascension, however on the off-chance that he did, maybe he didn't know when it would take place?

3. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

He knew there was something weird about Buffy. Snyder knew it was vampires that raided the school in School Hard, and he later told Buffy that the police in Sunnydale were deeply stupid. He reported on Buffy to the Mayor even in season 2. I doubt he knew of the Ascension, however, he just probably thought he was in some cabal trying to "keep order" in the school as part of a larger effort to maintain order in the community.

You might find this old thread interesting as well:

Speculation on Principal Snyder's background.

4. Agent Z

Agent Z Townie

Thank you.

5. Evil Seal

Evil Seal I'm sorry, I was myth-taken.

Yes I agree it seems he wasn't told everything and he just thought he was keeping everything in check. And of course, Buffy is a "troublemaker" so he dislikes her. He's the typical high school principal that wants students to move in an orderly fashion and not make to much noise.

6. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

If Band Candy gives us a glimpse of a young Snyder (which would explain maybe why he went into teaching as an idealistic young man), what do you think happened to turn him into the cynical Snyder that makes Buffy's life hell?

7. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    If you ask me Snyder was picked on in school when he was younger so he became a principle to be in charge for once . And I sure he knew something was wrong but since he didn't like kids he didn't care what Buffy was doing but went along with the Mayor who gave him the power he wanted .

And I don't think he knew about the Mayor becoming a demon for the simple reason he didn't need to know .

bafshd: totally agree
    Puppet likes this.
  8. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy BFF of Sour Patch Kid

Sineya
    Snyder lived in ignorant ignorance. In other words he may have known about the supernatural and that the Mayor knew but as far as evil and big picture, he had no idea that he actually had no idea.

Puppet: Love your sig! :D
    buffy1990 and ChaseRules like this.
  9. ChaseRules

Sineya
    And he was too stuck to to care about anything but himself.

10. margybee

margybee Townie

I think he was definitely working for the Mayor. How much he knew is up in the air. He also definitely knew that trouble found Buffy and he wanted to get rid of her so the Mayor would have an easier time completing his tasks. Most likely he knew she was the Slayer. And he knew about vampires, as said above, as early as School Hard -- the police ask him what he should tell the newspapers this time, and he confirms just to call it PCP... again.

Of course, as mentioned above, there's his line in Becoming about the police being "deeply stupid." For some reason I just love his delivery of that line! Makes me laugh every time, and that's saying something for an episode as dramatic as Becoming.

I can't talk about Snyder without including my favorite quote from him:

SNYDER: There are some things I can just smell. It's like a sixth sense.
    GILES: No actually, that would be one of the five.

Perfect!

Evil Seal likes this.
  11. ChaseRules

Sineya
    I think myself that since the Mayor told him to keep a eye on Buffy he did & didn't care to ask why since Buffy wasn't important to him .

Evil Seal likes this.
  12. AlphaFoxtrot

AlphaFoxtrot Potential

How much did Synder know? I've always found Sunnydale Syndrome a little on the ridiculous side. I think it was, he knew what was going on, he just didn't want to talk about it, and I say the same for the police as well.

13. Evil Seal

Oh denial can be a very powerful thing! For some people, it's way easier to believe that something isn't true rather than just face the truth. We see it everyday with climate change deniers, smokers, alcoholics, etc. Same goes with Sunnydale Syndrome : a part of you knows that there's something going on but it's so painful to accept that you can run into vampires and demons on your street corner that you want to pretend everything is normal and there's no problem.
    As for Snyder, I think he knew about the existence of vampires and maybe demons but not much else. I don't think he even thought them capable of grand evil plans like the Mayor. He probably saw them as little more than wild animals.

thrasherpix and MarlieTheSlayer like this.
  14. MarlieTheSlayer

MarlieTheSlayer Bangel shipper

Black Thorn
    I don't believe he knows what slayers are, but he does realize Buffy is involved in some way with all the nasty demon/vampire problems. He is a bad guy, but I don't really see him as a villain. He doesn't really come up with evil plans on his own, but he is part of the cover-up.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    thrasherpix and Evil Seal like this.
  15. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Every once in awhile someone will take a video cam and record things people don't want to talk about. Like one guy calling himself the "video vigilante" records women being abducted in broad daylight on busy streets and children as prostitutes besides schools in session (he does call the police while recording). As he said, as best I recall, "We have an incredible problem with child prostitution and it's one of those things no one wants to talk about, but you can't help but talk about it when you hear there's this nut going around recording people engaged in it." His fame/notoriety is mostly local (a few guest spots on the wider stage notwithstanding) because he's absolutely right in that no one wants to talk about or even think about it so will ignore him as best they can (I'm surprised neither side of the law has gotten rid of him yet).

Sunnydale syndrome in the real world.

Hmmm...there really should've been a "video vigilante" in Sunnydale, but of course the world would see it as fake, and it was shown the government would've discredited him (and perhaps disappeared him). In the inevitable remake, if they added hashtags and encouraged people to use their phones (which could spread to other cities) then that could become very interesting since the ability to counter that would be much harder...but could add significantly to the demon databases out there, though accidental and deliberate misinformation would also become much worse.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Evil Seal likes this.
  16. AlphaFoxtrot

AlphaFoxtrot Potential

Oh, I agree, the average citizen is in denial, just can't piece the evidence together. Even if people have always believed in the supernatural to some extent, the implication is that it's hidden from view, and the idea is that it's not as common as it once was. But the police should know, hospitals and funeral directors should know, and Synder should know. Maybe the Mayor had Men In Black. Maybe industrial accidents involving cultists occur? Maybe Vampires have a way of making people disappear. I mean, wasn't that the point of Buffy not advertising herself, the Vamps would respond if they knew who she was? But as for Synder, he probably knew to leave the building before sunset and to carry a cross or Bible (but I assume most people in Sunnydale were told such by their grandparents.), and that Buffy was not an ordinary girl, and he should report anything interesting about her to the Mayor, who was more than he appeared. But he was not a secret keeper. He didn't know he was in leauge with the Demon Snake Tribe, the forces of darkness and hell. He didn't know of the Secret War, or the Pact.

Evil Seal likes this.
  17. Evil Seal

Yes, I think at least part of the police force and hospital staff etc know but they don't really talk about it. This is also what I mean by denial : almost everybody in Sunnydale knows (at least those who have lived there long enough) but nobody talks about it and they pretend everything is normal. Even when Snyder and the commissioner talk about it in School Hard, they don't really talk about it. "What did you have in my mind? The truth?"
    They only say enough to let the audience and each other that they both know what's going on and that their first instinct is denial.

There's also a deeper form of denial in which citizens just plainly refuse to admit that demons exist even if they are face-to-face with one. We don't see much of it in the series but it definitely is there. That's kinda what happens when Buffy kills the 3 demons on Xander's construction site in Life Serial. Everybody would rather forget what just happened. Kinda like the saying that the biggest homophobes are usually gay, btw.