• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question about the episode The Harvest: why did Xander and Willow not get upset about their friend Jesse's death?

badsister

Angel's Avenger
apart from the fact that since then Xander hates vampires with his whole heart... but well season 1 had a it's share of...plot holes to say the least. probably it was just left BTS the whole crying and etc. but idk maybe i'm remembering it wrong but they both looked troubled at what have happened...

It was a badly-written season 1 episode. :p (Clumsily written, to be kind.) It was all very small-scale and minor compared to later stories. Basically, Joss and his guys didn't know how big the show would be and probably didn't think it would get so enourmously real. Therefore, the continuity is rather poor.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
It seemed clear to me that Jesse was much more Xander's friend than Willow's.

Willow and Xander were best buds since they were little but Jesse seemed - from their interactions- a friend that they'd maybe know since only the beginning of high school. That's really just my personal reading though.
And anyway the two of them just found out that the supernatural was real and the new girl was some cool monster-fighters. Information overload.

Although if they'd gotten more than 12 episodes it would've been nice to have one properly addressing Jesse's death; maybe Jesse has a family remember that wants to find out more about what happened; after all Jesse up and died leaving no body behind.

And I always attributed Xander's hatred towards all vampires as at least somewhat connected with him having to kill vamp-Jesse.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
The writers didn't invest in his death b/c we the readers weren't invested in the character enough to care. And introducing us to mopey Xander would have taken our focus off Buffy. But we see Xander's grief in his reaction to Angel and pretty much all vampires... I think it's why he's so angry, but that's just my reading of the actual existing text... And it makes it so we (fanfic writers) have material to address that isn't touched in canon. In my head, he grieves hard, but mostly off screen.

The truth is that any TV show is a compromise and no show has the luxury of tackling everything. None of the writers has the time or energy to address all the things we fans nitpick on and examine for years afterward. I feel kind of sorry for them. Actually, Buffy, Star Trek and Stargate are among the best in terms of continuity, compared to most shows... something like NCIS, in spite of how popular it is, is so much worse in terms of writing and continuity. In retrospect, it should have been tackled, but the committee of writers that created the entire series have a lot to keep together. I'm actually surprised at how many times they came back to older episodes and connected stuff. One everyone had almost forgotten was the lie... but gosh, didn't that come out at the most inconvenient moment possible? That made me whoop!

Another cool through line is: 'It's a long story.... (brief explanation) ...apparently not that long...

Very glad Jesse is mentioned in comics. At least someone was thinking. Finally, someone closed that circle.... and doing it after nine + years means it was a big deal. If you remember a person and their death a decade later, even for a few seconds, that makes it a very big deal... so that kind of redeems all we didn't see on screen.

Last edited:
Very glad Jesse is mentioned in comics. At least someone was thinking. Finally, someone closed that circle.... and doing it after nine + years means it was a big deal. If you remember a person and their death a decade later, even for a few seconds, that makes it a very big deal... so that kind of redeems all we didn't see on screen.
The exact line is this: "Yeah, it sucks. First time I had to kill one of my friends I was sixteen years old. And when I think about that night, I don't see the face of a vampire. I just see Jesse's face."

He was talking to a new character whose partner at work turned into a vampire and they were conflicted about killing them.

Taake
Taake
wow, that's a great line. Glad the comics put that in there

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
There is no good answer to this. The writers simply didn't think it was important enough and assumed that the audience would connect the dots with Xander and his hate for vampires stemmed from Jesse. It should have been mentioned.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I blame the editor completely, what order were the scenes shot in? Given the prosthetics used and how long it took to put those prosthetics on a person - then take those prosthetics off the chances are they played the vampire scenes first, consequently although the Jessie death scenes had happened they then did the first scenes with Jessie in them. Much has been said of the actor who played Xander that he had very little acting experience before Buffy, so maybe he didn't know how to act effectively.

The only other thing I can add to what's been said is that it might just be that state of shock with Xander. So maybe it took time for it to fully sink in. I do agree that the length of the season played a part. There's a decent chance Jesse would have been mentioned again at some point if there were more episodes in the season. Like someone else said it would have killed the flow to have had Xander moping about for an episode. Another reason is because it happened in the pilot and therefore Jesse was used as a kill to raise the stakes. The human characters who were killed later on were all people spent a bit of time with and could invest in.

Flexible minds. Well, remember that both Willow and Cordelia are both special, called from before their births as both arch-witch and ... expy-Saint? Oz, who is also special, accepts the supernatural with no great hestitation. Heck, even Angel has a calling. Consider that Xander also has a calling, that he is special. I mean, he does become a Watcher, that's a calling per both Giles and Merrick. Consider also, contacts with the supernatural are shown as breaking in most Lovecraftian horror, whereas Xander is alive, sane and kicking. So, maybe Xander just doesn't face trauma like most people.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
I am sure Willow was upset by Jesse's death, but I doubt she liked him very much or mourned him all that long. To her, he was likely just Xander's douchy friend who competed with her for Xander's attention.

The main problem was that the audience did not care about Jesse. Would we really wanna watch Xander, a character we have just met, spend time mourning an unlikable character like Jesse?

I am sure Willow was upset by Jesse's death, but I doubt she liked him very much or mourned him all that long. To her, he was likely just Xander's douchy friend who competed with her for Xander's attention.

The main problem was that the audience did not care about Jesse. Would we really wanna watch Xander, a character we have just met, spend time mourning an unlikable character like Jesse?
Which to be fair he was;) Jesse was like the annoying teen in a slasher movie. It was a relief when someone put him out his misery. Which explains why the Scoobies were not that sad!:eek:

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
Which explains why the Scoobies were not that sad!:eek:
I have no problem believing he was important to Xander, though. I am sure Jesse was a guy Xander could feel comfortable around and they didn't have many other friends.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Probably but since we didn't get a chance to see that its not a big dealing that they didn't mourn his passing too much.
They both just seemed to not be upset and move as if nothing ever happened. Jesse isn't even mentioned again.
I agree. Xander kicked a bin and that was about it lol... no funeral or anything.. not to be ever mentioned in the season again.... maybe the 1st could have turned into him during season 7 maybe to play with Xander a bit.

maybe the 1st could have turned into him during season 7 maybe to play with Xander a bit.
That was the original plan, but the guy who played Jesse wasn't available hence why Conversations with Dead People is the only episode that Xander isn't in. TAra was also supposed to be in that episode but AMber Benson wasn't available/declined because she didn't want evil Tara.

EarthLogic

"she went as limp as an overcooked piece of pasta"
Black Thorn
That was the original plan, but the guy who played Jesse wasn't available hence why Conversations with Dead People is the only episode that Xander isn't in.
Ooh I didn't know that! Thanks. Nice to know that they had at least given the Xander-Jesse issue consideration in S7.

Top Bottom