• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rachel's Meta (External Links)

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I write a lot of meta over on Tumblr, so I thought I'd share all my big posts here. These are, of course, all my own personal opinions/interpretations, none of this is meant to be fact. Just thought some members might find some of these interesting. Pls keep in mind my bias towards/against certain characters and ships does come through very strongly in several of these pieces.

Episode Analysis

BtVS

1.5 Never Kill A Boy On The First Date
1.12 Prophecy Girl
2.9 & 2.10 What's My Line
2.19 I Only Have Eyes For You
2.21 & 2.22 Becoming
3.2 Dead Man's Party
3.4 Beauty & The Beasts
3.10 Amends
3.16 Doppelgangland
3.20 The Prom
4.1 The Freshman
4.22 Restless
5.17 Forever
5.22 The Gift
6.8 Tabula Rasa
6.17 Normal Again
7.7 Conversations With Dead People
7.19 Empty Places

AtS

1.8 I Will Remember You
1.22 To Shanshu In L.A.
2.10 Reunion/5.18Origin
2.11 Redefinition/3.9 Lullaby
3.6 Billy
4.1 Deep Down
4.22 Home
5.11 Damage
5.22 Not Fade Away

Character Analysis

Angel
Connor
Kate Lockley
Charles Gunn
Jenny Calendar
Faith Lehane
Faith Lehane[2]
Faith Lehane[3]
Xander Harris
Xander Harris[2]
Dawn Summers

Ships

Xander Leaving Anya At The Altar
Fred & Gunn (Individually & As A Pairing)
Fred & Gunn vs Fred & Wes
Wes & Lilah
Angel/Darla & Consent
Age Difference Between Buffy & Angel
Defending Angel's Decision In IWRY

Misc

Why I Love AtS
The Great Soul Debate
Sexual Assault In The Buffyverse
Why The Buffybot Is So Disturbing
Opinions On Each Season of BtVS
Opinion On The Way BtVS Ended
Thoughts On BtVS Season 7
Giles & The Scoobies
Most Traumatic Events To Happen To Team Angel
Most Traumatic Events To Happen To The Scoobies

Last edited:
GraceK
GraceK
Thank you for this!!!! I’m so excited to read through it :)

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
I am going to try and say this as diplomatically as my jaded and snarky bartending self can. You drag the Buffy fandom extremely harshly, yet you don't mind asking the Buffy fandom to follow you? It comes across disingenuous and insidious.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I am going to try and say this as diplomatically as my jaded and snarky bartending self can. You drag the Buffy fandom extremely harshly, yet you don't mind asking the Buffy fandom to follow you? It comes across disingenuous and insidious.
I wasn't asking anyone to follow me, I was simply posting these for people to read. Where in the entire post did I ask anyone to follow me?

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
I wasn't asking anyone to follow me, I was simply posting these for people to read. Where in the entire post did I ask anyone to follow me?
It comes across as self promotion to me. I just find it odd that you will rant and rave about how inferior the rest of the Buffy fandom is to you, yet you want to be a part of it.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
It comes across as self promotion to me. I just find it odd that you will rant and rave about how inferior the rest of the Buffy fandom is to you, yet you want to be a part of it.
When did I ever say that the BtVS fandom is inferior to me? I have been in this fandom for years and not once have I ever claimed I was superior. What is your beef with me? This isn't self-promotion, I was simply sharing metas I have written. I love to write, and I thought rather than post these metas one-by-one I would put them all up as a collection. Would you claim that everyone posting in the Artists thread is going for 'self-promotion'?

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I for one am glad for your meta. It’s always great to read analysis and I just finished your Connor one. Incredibly well written and I completely agree. Connor needs more love. I’m looking forward to reading the rest. I may.m not agree with all you have to say, but it’s always nice to be exposed to a different perspective:)

RachM
RachM
Thank you so much :)

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
When did I ever say that the BtVS fandom is inferior to me? I have been in this fandom for years and not once have I ever claimed I was superior. What is your beef with me? This isn't self-promotion, I was simply sharing metas I have written. I love to write, and I thought rather than post these metas one-by-one I would put them all up as a collection. Would you claim that everyone posting in the Artists thread is going for 'self-promotion'?
You have literally recorded yourself saying that the Buffy fandom has opinions that are incorrect because your opinions are correct.

Like yourself, I am outspoken and don't mince words. It's probably an Aussie thing and we would probably get along great in real life.

I think your video was a massive error in judgement. I don't like that you dragged Buffy fans but are now wanting to be a part of the community. I'm sure your intentions were to be funny but I feel like you missed the mark. As someone that has been a part of the fandom (and this forum) for 10 years it felt like a condescending slap in the face.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
You have literally recorded yourself saying that the Buffy fandom has opinions that are incorrect because your opinions are correct.
Oh, for the love of god, this is about that freakin' video. I never state in that video that the BtVS fandom opinions are incorrect because mine are correct. Never. That video was meant to be a snarky, fun video, talking about observations I have picked up over my years in the fandom. The fact that you all are so upset over one person's opinion is ridiculous.
I think your video was a massive error in judgement. I don't like that you dragged Buffy fans but are now wanting to be a part of the community. I'm sure your intentions were to be funny but I feel like you missed the mark. As someone that has been a part of the fandom (and this forum) for 10 years it felt like a condescending slap in the face.
I am not "now wanting to be a part of the community", I have been part of this community for over fifteen years. I never asked for that video to be shared here. I never knew that video was shared here until someone on Tumblr told me it had. I never asked for your opinion, or anyone on this Board's opinion. You all decided to vilify me based on one video, because you didn't like the content. I say right at the start of the video that it was not, in any way, meant to denigrate the fandom and that I love the fandom and I re-assert that at the end of video.

You have personally attacked me on this thread because of a single video you didn't like. You have deliberately been nasty and antagonistic towards me. That is far worse than anything in that video. You come after me for no reason other than you disagreed with my video, without even knowing me. You have judged me from one video and you think that's okay. You have acted far worse than I did in that video and you try to hide it by saying you are also "outspoken". You should be ashamed.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Not sure what your video has anything to do with this but since we are talking about it I’ve been a part of the fandom a long time and I liked your video. So different strokes...

Thanks for posting some reading. I myself am not an artist so i find other ways to create like fics. I like to share those as well. So it’s cool there are other ways we can be active parts of the fandom and put our ideas out there! I’ll prob come back with some feedback/discussion on your metas!

RachM
RachM
Thank you :)

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Oh, for the love of god, this is about that freakin' video. I never state in that video that the BtVS fandom opinions are incorrect because mine are correct. Never. That video was meant to be a snarky, fun video, talking about observations I have picked up over my years in the fandom. The fact that you all are so upset over one person's opinion is ridiculous.

I am not "now wanting to be a part of the community", I have been part of this community for over fifteen years. I never asked for that video to be shared here. I never knew that video was shared here until someone on Tumblr told me it had. I never asked for your opinion, or anyone on this Board's opinion. You all decided to vilify me based on one video, because you didn't like the content. I say right at the start of the video that it was not, in any way, meant to denigrate the fandom and that I love the fandom and I re-assert that at the end of video.

You have personally attacked me on this thread because of a single video you didn't like. You have deliberately been nasty and antagonistic towards me. That is far worse than anything in that video. You come after me for no reason other than you disagreed with my video, without even knowing me. You have judged me from one video and you think that's okay. You have acted far worse than I did in that video and you try to hide it by saying you are also "outspoken". You ashould be ashamed.
99% of the people on this forum have actually been extremely kind and generous to you (dcai and grace have both given you lovely compliments on this very thread). To continue with the 'you all' statements isn't very gracious to all the people that haven't been as judgemental as I have been.

I personally don't like any form of 'you all' whether it is gender, race, sexuality or fandom. It rubs me the wrong way and you seem to do it quite a bit.

Anyway, this probably isn't the appropriate place for us to be having this discussion as I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm happy to continue this via messages.

Mylie

Scooby
Thanks for putting these all in the same place. I’ve read some of them already (and even sent asks for some of them) but I seemed to have missed a lot so this will be fun to read!

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
99% of the people on this forum have actually been extremely kind and generous to you. To continue with the 'you all' statements isn't very gracious to all the people that haven't been as judgemental as I have been.
Oh for god's sake, you are just determined to make me the bad guy here.
I personally don't like any form of 'you all' whether it is gender, race, sexuality or fandom. It rubs me the wrong way and you seem to do it quite a bit.
Now you're going to pick apart everything about me? Would you like to comment on my grammar next? My tone? My spelling? Come on, have at it.

I love how you keep coming after me for such innocuous crap, yet have no problem being personal and antagonistic towards me. This is horrible. This is why I have three times left these Boards. Yes, about 98% of the people on here are pleasant, but people like you, who have no problem getting so personal and mean about someone you don't even know, you make me feel like s*** and don't care. I don't know how you can do that.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
You handled that FAR better than I could. Kudos! ♡♡♡

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Oh for god's sake, you are just determined to make me the bad guy here.

Now you're going to pick apart everything about me? Would you like to comment on my grammar next? My tone? My spelling? Come on, have at it.

I love how you keep coming after me for such innocuous crap, yet have no problem being personal and antagonistic towards me. This is horrible. This is why I have three times left these Boards. Yes, about 98% of the people on here are pleasant, but people like you, who have no problem getting so personal and mean about someone you don't even know, you make me feel like s*** and don't care. I don't know how you can do that.
Timeout has been called... also... @WillowFromBuffy for mod.

I'm sorry if I have made you feel like shit. I didn't intend to personally make you feel bad about yourself. As I said, I quite like you and think you would be a fantastic person to sit down and drink a beer with and chat to. No personal nastiness intended. I think Quentin Tarantino is one of the greatest men to ever live and has made some genius films but still think Django Unchained was self indulgent garbage. I think you're a cool chick with some excellent points of views that made a rubbish video. I got more heated than necessary and I apologise for hurting your feelings.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I have just read a few of the blurbs that you have linked and I don't see anything about them that would suggest the author considers herself to be superior to the rest of the fandom and some of them contain reminders of incidents I had forgotten such as Debbie and Bethany being part of the sexual trauma discussion. I do not take the same point of view for the balcony scene as you do but I don't require people to have the same opinion as me. After all, if we all agreed, there would be just a manifesto, not a forum.

As for the comment that you have dragged the Buffy fans, everyone who has ever expressed an opinion is countering the opinions of many other people and I am sure you remember the shipper wars from about 2013 where the acrimony was at a maximum. This is a forum where we are all entitled to our opinions. If you want to be on a forum, you need the heart of a lion, the hide of a rhinoceros and the immune system of a turkey vulture. If this is not your idea of a good time, go in peace, it's not as if this forum is mission-critical to your life. You can come and go as you please.

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
I have just read a few of the blurbs that you have linked and I don't see anything about them that would suggest the author considers herself to be superior to the rest of the fandom and some of them contain reminders of incidents I had forgotten such as Debbie and Bethany being part of the sexual trauma discussion. I do not take the same point of view for the balcony scene as you do but I don't require people to have the same opinion as me. After all, if we all agreed, there would be just a manifesto, not a forum.

As for the comment that you have dragged the Buffy fans, everyone who has ever expressed an opinion is countering the opinions of many other people and I am sure you remember the shipper wars from about 2013 where the acrimony was at a maximum. This is a forum where we are all entitled to our opinions. If you want to be on a forum, you need the heart of a lion, the hide of a rhinoceros and the immune system of a turkey vulture. If this is not your idea of a good time, go in peace, it's not as if this forum is mission-critical to your life.
If this is a forum where we are all entitled to our opinions why are you suggesting that my opinion is not valid and telling me to leave the boards?

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
If this is a forum where we are all entitled to our opinions why are you suggesting that my opinion is not valid and telling me to leave the boards?
??? I was not suggesting you leave the boards, I was addressing the comment by @RachM that she had left the boards on three other occasions. Your opinion is as valid as mine or anyone else's - I am just saying you are free to come and go as you please.

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
??? I was not suggesting you leave the boards, I was addressing the comment by @RachM that she had left the boards on three other occasions. Your opinion is as valid as mine or anyone else's - I am just saying you are free to come and go as you please.
Also. What is a turkey vulture?

In my head I keep picturing a Cassowary but then I remember that not all countries are as terrifying as Australia.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
A turkey vulture is a large vulture that is noted for having a keen sense of smell for carrion and has evolved with no feathers on its head so it can dig deep with its beak into rotting animals. Because it gets its food from carrion, it has to be immune to all the diseases that come from eating deteriorated meat. If you deal in person with the public, it would be a good idea to have an immune system that is that effective. You may not get the personal contact on a forum that you do in person, but the acrimony almost gets to be like a plague in some forums (and this forum has never been as bad as some of them). I am on one forum where someone can give you a dislike as well as a like. I have been on other forums where the mods have had to do daily scrubs of most of the threads - you may reply on page 5 of a thread one day and find it is page 2 on the next day because huge blocks of replies have had to be deleted.

Top Bottom