1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rank the Angel season 1 episodes

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by Carrie Hopewell, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Buffy has threads to rank all seven seasons, so...

1. Sanctuary
    2. I Will Remember You (could be number 3 or 4)
    3. Five by Five (I gave IWRY the edge for its unusal format)
    4. Somnambulist
    5. The Prodigal
    6. Blind Date (suffers from the blind woman plot. The Lindsey/Angel parts are golden)
    7. To Shanshu in L.A. (Seems a bit too mushy, especially after Blind Date which also tackles Angel's place in the world)
    8. City Of
    9. In the Dark
    10. Hero
    11. The Ring
    12. Parting Gifts
    13. I've Got You Under My Skin
    14. Sense and Sensitivity
    15. The Bachelor Party
    16. Expecting
    17. Rm w/a Vu
    18. Lonely Hearts
    19. War Zone
    20. Eternity
    21. She
    22. I Fall to Pieces

I only truly don't like a couple of episodes. I really love this season. So underrated!

Mylie and Fuffy Baith like this.
  2. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

1. Five by Five
    2. Sanctuary
    3. Hero
    4. In the Dark
    5. City of...
    6. War Zone
    7. RM W/A Vu
    8. Parting Gifts
    9. I've Got you Under my Skin
    10. Blind Date
    11. Somnambulist
    12. The Prodigal
    13. To Shanshu in L.A.
    14. The Bachelor Party
    15. I Will Remember You
    16. The Ring
    17 Lonely Hearts
    18. I Fall to Pieces
    19. Sense & Sensitivity
    20. Expecting
    21. Eternity
    22. She

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  3. Priceless

Priceless I am now

1. 5 By 5
    2. I Will Remember You
    3. In The Dark
    4. Sanctury
    5. The Prodigal
    6. Hero
    7. To Shanshu In LA
    8. Rm w/a Vu
    9. Sonambulist
    10. Parting Gifts
    11. I Got You Under My Skin
    12. Expecting
    13. City Of . . .
    14. Sense and Sensitivity
    15. Bachelor Party
    16. Lonely Heart
    17. Eternity
    18. Blind Date
    19. War Zone
    20. She
    21. The Ring
    22. I Fall To Pieces

4. Antho

Antho Scooby

01 : 1x22 To Shanshu in L.A/Le Manuscrit
    02 : 1x09 Hero/Sacrifice Hèroique
    03 : 1x18 Five By Five/Cinq sur Cinq
    04 : 1x08 I Will remember you/Je ne t'oublierais jamais
    05 : 1x01 City Of/Bienvenue à Los Angeles
    06 : 1x19 Sanctuary/Sanctuaire
    07 : 1x03 In the Dark/La pierre d'Amarra
    08 : 1x15 The Prodigal/1753
    09 : 1x21 Blind Date/La femme aveugle
    10 : 1x05 Room with a view/L'appartement de Cordèlia
    11 : 1x14 I have got you under my skin/Exorcisme
    12 : 1x02 Lonely Hearts/Angel fait équipe
    13 : 1x06 Sense and sensitivity/Raisons et sentiments
    14 : 1x17 Eternity/Jeunesse Eternelle
    15 : 1x16 The Ring/La prison d'Angel
    16 : 1x11 Somnambulist/Rêves prémonitoires
    17 : 1x10 Parting gifts/Cadeau d'adieu
    18 : 1x07 The Bachelor Party/Enterrement de vie de démon
    19 : 1x12 Expecting/Grossesse express
    20 : 1x13 She/Guerre des sexes
    21 : 1x04 I fall to pieces/L'étrange docteur Meltzer
    22 : 1x20 War Zone/Frère de sang

I write the english/french titles ;)

Mylie and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  5. PaulParmar1

PaulParmar1 The Slayer

Sineya
    1. To Shanshu in LA
    2. Hero
    3. Blind Date
    4. City of
    5. I Will Remember You
    6. Rm w/a Vu
    7. Lonely Hearts
    8. Five by Five
    9. Sanctuary
    10. Sense and Sensitivity
    11. In the Dark
    12. Blind Date
    13. The Prodigal
    14. Parting Gifts
    15. Bachelor Party
    16. I've Got You Under My Skin
    17. Eternity
    18. I Fall To Pieces
    19. Somnambulist
    20. Expecting
    21. She
    22. Warzone

Antho likes this.
  6. Puppet

Puppet I'm not dumb. Or ass.

Black Thorn
    I'm finally getting around to this, I've wanted to since I did the ones for BtVS.

22. The Prodigal. I always forget what this one is about and have to go on IMDB to read the summary. It's just a very forgettable episode, which is sad, because on paper it should've been really good, really emotional. I guess, as viewers, we just didn't care enough about Kate yet to dedicate an entire episode to her pain and issues.
    21. She. I think this is agreed on by, like, 90% of the fans; pretty bad episode. Wesley brings some humor to save it on rewatches, but that's about it. Pretty lame plot, imo, too, and it only beat out 22 for being more memorable.
    20. I Will Remember You. Sorry, but this just always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If possible, it's even more melodramatic than all of BtVS S3, Angel completely takes away Buffy's rights by, again, making choices about them without discussing it with her, just like the break-up in The Prom. I hate it when he does that, when he thinks he knows better. So, like I said, bad taste.
    19. Somnambulist. Nice look into Angel's past and his psyche so on that front, it's a winner. However, Penn just didn't have the charm of, say, Spike and Drusilla, nor the likability of, say, Lawson. I didn't really care and it felt like the writers wanted me to, so, too bad.
    18. Lonely Hearts. Now we come to the good episodes :). This one has some great Angel/Doyle/Cordelia and Doyle/Cordelia chemistry, a nice Kate introduction and a MOTW I neither like nor dislike. I love the Batman-esque way Angel tries to get them out of the basement, I especially love that it didn't work and Kate was the one who 'rescued' them both.
    17. I Fall to Pieces. Gross, but in the best possible way. Like how I can't watch the Supernatural S5 episode My Bloody Valentine because of the gore; I love stuff like that. I love Doyle in this one, being awkward and trying to make the girl they're protecting feel better, and Cordelia's commentary, like about Angel stealing a book and when her and Doyle are in the basement near the end waiting for Angel to come back. Just super funny, and gross :D
    16. Sense and Sensitivity. Now this is a Kate-centric episode I can get behind, mostly because it's supposed to be emotionally over-the-top, and mostly because of the interactions between our three main characters. Angel's whole 'painbow' thing is just legendary and so is Angel and Cordelia's magic word discussion.
    15. Expecting. I love that the MOTW happens to one of the mains, I always love that on TV shows, and I also think (but don't quote me on it) that this was the moment I realized that Cordelia was growing/maturing and that Charisma could do serious acting, too. The way she slowly transforms, and I don't just mean her growing belly, over the episode is really great. Plus, as per usual, Wes is adorable in it.
    14. Eternity. While I'm not a terribly big fan of Rebecca Lowell as a character, nor do I particularly like the actress portraying her, the rest of the episode is golden; the beginning with Angel and Wes going to see Cordelia's play, the ending with Angelus and that whole sequence, plus basically Cordelia in every scene, like when she's freaking out while going shopping with a TV star.
    13. I've Got You Under My Skin. First of all, always great to see a good old-fashioned exorcism episode on a fantasy show. Second, I love the twist with the soulless boy (also a nice parallel to the souled protagonist). Third, once again the greatest part of it is the chemistry between the three mains. This is hugely why I love S1 so much, despite the weaknesses that other fans see in it; the chemistry is just off the charts.
    12. Blind Date. Just a great look into Lindsey's psyche, which really helped with viewers understanding and sympathy of him in the following season, if you ask me. Maybe the reason it's not higher, though, is that the penultimate episode of the season probably shouldn't focus on a minor character who has barely been fleshed out yet, at this point. Still a good episode, though, and I love that battle between Angel and the blind chick.
    11. Parting Gifts. Wesley's back! No but seriously, adding Wesley was tricky, imo, because of great the chemistry had been between David, CC and Glenn. Luckily, it turns out that Alexis fit in just as well as Glenn had, maybe even better because of the past the three characters shared together from Sunnydale. Again, the side-story was a bit weak but, as mentioned, the strength of this season are the mains, first and foremost.
    10. Rm w/a vu. I absolutely love this Cordy-centric episode! Charisma stretches her acting abilities to the max and beyond for this one, she's funny, she's emotional, she's bad-ass, almost everything on the scale. On top of that, Angel and Doyle get to play great roles also, batting off of what she does. The twist with Phantom Dennis is another thing to enjoy and I love that he isn't forgotten after, but brought back again and again.
    9. The Ring. No words can describe my love for this episode. The entire concept is really great, I love the Angel/Lilah and Wes/Cordy chemistry, it's funny, it has a message I wish they'd fleshed out more later and an ending that I find very interesting, with the demons killing the human that had enslaved them. Strong episode, all around.
    8. The Bachelor Party. Phew, this is getting harder and harder. Anyway... Any Doyle-centric episode is a winner in my book :). Once again the show shines a light on the possibility of demons being good (of course, they pull the rug out at the end, but still...). We get to learn a lot more about Doyle, Angel gets to have one of his most bad-ass moments ever when he crashes through those double doors in game face, and Cordelia hitting Brachen Doyle over the head is hilarious. Some really great dialogue and acting in this one.
    7. Sanctuary. Don't get me wrong, love this one, but there's a reason it's not higher; Buffy. Sorry. The early stages of it is so strong, with Eliza acting the hell out of Faith's deep-seated emotions and trauma over the path she took back in BtVS S3. Angel's calm attempts to help her also bring the best out of what David can do and together the two have amazing platonic chemistry. Wesley's desire to still help because of Angel, not Faith, is a nice touch, too, and the Council members are much more impressive here than on the two-parter in BtVS S4. Buffy drags it down slightly, unfortunately.
    6. In the Dark. Have I mentioned lately that I love Spike? How about that I love Spike and Angel going toe to toe? This is just a terrific episode, and for the third in the season, it really sets the tone for the rest of it. Brilliant, the acting, the dialogue, the concept. Again I say, brilliant.
    5. War Zone. That shot up the body that you think is Angel but turns out to be Gunn? Yeah, just fantastic. His whole storyline, with the homeless young man fighting vamps for turf, a complicated but loving relationship with his baby sister, struggling with being a leader and whether or not to trust the vampire who isn't acting like he's used to. I had trouble with Kate and Lindsey centric episodes when we barely knew them, but this episode is proof that it can be done right, if written right :)
    4. To Shanshu in LA. This season didn't have a Big Bad and you'd think it would suffer, but instead it gave us one of the best season finales of both shows, imo. Angel's anger and pain when both Wes and Cordy wind up in the hospital is so powerful and makes me root for him more than ever before. His scene with Gunn, while short, is great. The fight scene that ends with Lindsey missing a hand. The final reveal of Darla. And just so much more.
    3. City of.... Yes, I know, it already had an established main and same with Cordy, but it's still a stellar season/series premiere. The acting, the directing, the dialogue, just a great way to set up what this brand new show would be about. A great way to hook you in.
    2. Five by Five. Ah, but this is just so good. Part of why I love Faith the character/arc so much. From her trying to shoot Angel in public, to her showing up to shoot him with a gun in his detective agency, to showing up in Cordelia's apartment, torturing Wesley, her fight with Angel, and then finally breaking down completely in the rain and Angel's arms. Not to mention scenes like Faith in the bar, meeting Lilah, I could go on and on.
    1. Hero. Brilliant. Makes me cry every. single. time. RIP Doyle and Glenn Quinn.

sk73 and Antho like this.
  7. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy Hello Cutie

Sineya
    22. She- What was this even about? Sexism? I actually have no idea.
    21. Lonely Hearts- A big let down after a great pilot. And I was never a Kate fan.
    20. Expecting- Spoiler alert, Cordelia pregnancy storylines do not go well! And you would've thought they'd learn a lesson after this one...
    19. The Prodigal- Kate's father, someone even less important or interesting than Kate.
    18. Sense and Sensitivity- Forgettable and Kate-centric, not a great combo.
    17. Somnambulist- Alright, enough with the snarky hate on the few bad episodes. I really like Jeremy Renner, so that was cool. I actually think this one is better than Why We Fight as far as Angel's past coming back.
    16. I've Got You Under My Skin- Creepy, the child was evil the whole time. That poor family. Ats always did a really good job with anticlimaxes.
    15. I Fall to Pieces- A stalker who can be everywhere. Damn. Isn't it great when people just assume they've killed Angel and they didn't? Double tap, people. Or he'll make you pay.
    14. Rm w/a vu- Cordy's I'm a bitch line is classic. One of Doyle's best episodes as well.
    13. The Bachelor Party- More great Doyle backstory, but let's face it, this episode is three ranks higher than it should be because of Angel's amazing theme song entrance.
    12. Eternity- An Angelus cameo is always great. Genuinely sad that an actress would try to become a vampire to stay young, but it's probably not that unrealistic in a supernatural world.
    11. War Zone- The introduction of Gunn was one of the best Gunn episodes, since there weren't that many in the series, and Angel himself is really fun to watch in this episode.
    10. Blind Date- What's better? Lindsey having a moral conflict or Angel throwing those sunglasses? The answer is, they both work together to get this in the top 10.
    9. Parting Gifts- Wes is back! We're introduced to empath demons, there's another great plot twist, and demons fight at an auction. Lots of good stuff going on here.
    8. The Ring- Lilah Morgan! Hard not to love her right from the beginning. Angel's Captain America thing actually works. I also think the whole idea behind this episode was pretty smart.
    7. In the Dark- Of course, this all comes down to Spike's rooftop impersonation of Angel. But the actual episode is very intense as well.
    6. City of- Absolutely could not have asked for a better pilot. Introduces the themes, the characters, the main evil, and Angel kicks a vamp out of a window.
    5. Hero- Doyle was already a true hero, he just needed to show everyone else and himself. But it's too bad that was his exit. And I loved him and Cordy for that blink of an eye.
    4. Sanctuary- Buffy makes everything better. Faith also makes everything better. Having Buffy and Faith in the same episode will lead to fantastic stuff 99% of the time! (That's right, Empty Places is the other 1%) Angel taking care of Faith is really remarkable, and this is a great conclusion to her arc, for now.
    3. To Shanshu in LA- Angel's purpose is a fascinating and complex subject, but Angel and Lindsey are what make this episode so amazing. Also Holland, who just is pure evil and doesn't care.
    2. Five by Five- The flashbacks are not often mentioned but actually pretty important. Faith is intriguing, but clearly falling apart. The torture scene is heartbreaking. The meltdown is even more heartbreaking.
    1. I Will Remember You- It's a classic, without a doubt. It's the happy ending that everyone wanted and nobody wanted. It's what the show could never do but did anyway. It's top notch acting by SMG and DB, and you're heartless if this doesn't move you to tears.

Puppet: Welp, looks like I'm heartless ;)
    Antho and Carrie Hopewell like this.