1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rank the Season 1 Episodes

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by Samuel Reyes, May 10, 2015.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Hey! Don't forget Billy Idol stole his look, and you're not for one minute telling me than Billy Idol doesn't look cool?:D

thetopher: Not a Bangel :P They both have stupid hair- at least I can admit that much
  2. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Billy Idol and Spike's haircut is 'of the time'. What was cool then just looks stupid now. :p I mean, his coat is cool and timeless but that haircut? Not cool.
    And hey, its not like Angel's mousse hair isn't chuckle-worthy but 1) people make fun of it in the show (and even Angel complains about it when he has a reflection in Pylea...)
    2) At least its a reaction to all the terrible flashback haircuts that Angelus inflicted on him- awful boufants, crappy muttonchop moustaches...urgh, the poor guy. No wonder he's reaching for a ton of styling gel as son as he has the means. :D

Mr Trick: Wow! You Bangels are sensitive! lol.
    Fuffy Baith: I like Spike and Angel's hair! lol. It fits their characters.
    Puppet likes this.
  3. Iwearthecheese

Iwearthecheese Scooby

My Season 1 Rankings - I love 11 0ut of 12 of these eps, which is actually the highest percentage of good to bad for me. So I'm a big S1 lover.

12. Teacher's Pet- the weaker Xander focused ep. The only S1 episode I actually dislike.
    11. Nightmares- Hard to care about Billy. Some of the fears (not the Buffy/Giles ones) just aren't scary/interesting.
    10. Never Kill A Boy On A First Date: The vampire-plot stuff is okay but the 'boy likes me' soap opera is not.
    9. Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind: Hard to care about Marcie, but at least we get some Cordelia focus.
    8. The Puppet Show- A 75/25 ep. Some great dialogue, snappy characters, good mystery. Not keen on Sid. It being so low just means all the others are better.
    7. The Havest- I always found this a weak execution tot he two-parter. Very good character stuff though. The world is not doomed, it just got better.
    6. The Witch- Cheerleader happenings. Fun! And a cat-jump scare! Cheesy. And that ending. Heehee.
    5. I Robot, You Jane - it has its problems but it's really funny. Plus, Willow-centric and at least I've invested in Willow.
    4. Welcome To The Hellmouth- great intro, well-paced and all the character intro's are iconic.
    3. Angel- Adorable Bangely-ness. Angel gets a nice little backstory that will serve him well.
    2. Prophecy Girl- Great, really great, but I do cringe when they put the theme tune IN the show. Very 90's.
    1. The Pack- Briliant metaphor for the horrors of bullying. Some great lines as well. The darkest/most unsettling ep of the season. Pig-icide! Buffy's fashion! Xander being mean! Willow crying!

Monkey Pants: Also a big season 1 lover
    The Ferg: Yay! Finally a Pack fan!
  4. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Not Willow centric enough though. Its set up that way, but then that's thrown out half way through for the meat headed narrative about the nerds and demon:rolleyes: It is AH first trully compelling performance on the show though.

I like your rankings and the reasons given, just I would have had The Puppet Show in my top two, its just a personal favourite of mine:p

Monkey Pants: Most of her negative qualities were shown here though, which is really interesting
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  5. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    1. Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest. I looooove seeing them all at their very first conception. I rewatch it all the time.
    2. Angel. Classic. The first major twist in the series.
    3 Witch. I love this episode. It's fascinating to see an evil witch with black eyes, and cute young Willow...and then think of what happens later!
    4. The Pack. This episode is totally cheesy and weird and I love it.
    5. Prophecy Girl. Excellent foray into the awesomeness of season 2!
    6. Nightmares. I always love episodes that peek into a character's inner psyche, even if this one is pretty simple.
    7. I, Robot...You, Jane. I find this episode hilarious, plus it's the first Willow centered one!
    8. Teacher's Pet. I find it pretty entertaining.
    9. The Puppet Show. Also pretty entertaining.
    10. Out of Mind, Out of Sight. Kinda boring.
    11. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date. Also kinda boring.

Fuffy Baith and Mr Trick like this.
  6. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Before redoing my list think I will rewatch Out of Mind... not sure if its better than many give it credit for, or if it is a lesser episode. I tend to have soft spot for it because of the Buffy-Cordy stuff.

7. gillianmorsee

gillianmorsee Slayer

1. Nightmares - Probably not a popular opinion as first choice, but I love it because it characterized the Scoobies through their fears. I thought it was really interesting to see what frightened all of them.
    2. Prophecy Girl - Buffy is awesome when she takes on the Master. "I may be dead, but I'm still pretty."
    3. Out of Mind, Out of Sight - I liked how Cordelia actually had something to do besides being mean, pretty, and popular.
    4. Witch - This is the first episode of Buffy that really turned the show around. It showed that vampires aren't the only villains in Sunnydale, which sets up a lot of the show in my opinion. Also, it had a great twist.
    5. Angel - The big Angel reveal!
    6. The Puppet Show - I liked Sid! And I like that he thought Buffy was a demon. I thought it was a good twist.
    7. The Pack - Liked this one because it showed one of the members of the gang going evil for the first time. :)
    8. Welcome to the Hellmouth - Not the best episode, but I love to see how the gang is in the very beginning. Cute little Willow and younger, innocent Buffy. :p
    9. The Harvest - I never really liked The Master in general. One of the worst villains in my opinion.
    10. Never Kill a Boy on The First Date - Very forgettable ep, but I still watch it occasionally.
    11. Teacher's Pet - Don't even know what to say on this one. :p
    12. I Robot, You Jane - Honestly I just skip over this one most of the time when doing a re-watch. :p Although there is some hilariously outdated 90s tech.

8. Scary and Veiny

Scary and Veiny Darth Rosenberg

Never tried one of these rankings before since most of the time I'll change my mind while rewatching something, but here goes nothing.

From favorite to least favorite:

1. Prophecy Girl
    2. Witch (It's so high on my list because this is the episode that really got me into the series.)
    3. Angel
    4. Nightmares
    5. Out of Mind, Out of Sight
    6. Welcome To The Hellmouth
    7. The Harvest
    8. The Puppet Show
    9. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
    10. I Robot, You Jane (This would've been at the very bottom, but... Jenny!)
    11. The Pack
    12. Teacher's Pet

9. Jam

Jam Pepper spray is just so passé

The bottom 3 and top 2 are definitive rankings that really never change, but 9 to 3 are more tentative and if I answered this on a different day, the rankings may be slightly different. Overall, I wholly enjoy season 1! I find it to be very charming.

12. The Pack. I understand what they were going for here, and I think they did it well, but too many moments just make me uncomfortable. Looking at it from a more critical lens, I wouldn't consider it to be the weakest episode of season 1, but there's just very little in the episode I find to be enjoyable/entertaining.
    11. Teacher's Pet. Much of the same reasoning as "The Pack" except there's more for me to enjoy, namely the Buffy and Angel scenes. Cute!
    10. I Robot, You Jane. It's probably the most obviously dated in the entire show, and I'm so amused and endeared by it! The introduction of Jenny and all of the scenes she was with Giles are lots of fun. The episode is so unintentionally hilarious at times and really, the only thing about the episode I don't like is how lame Moloch/Malcolm is. Considering he's a big part of the episode, it brings the episode down in the rankings quite a bit.
    9. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date. I do like this episode, and I feel like it's too low on these rankings but this is just how it seemed to work out! The "If the apocalypse comes, beep me." line is an absolute favourite of mine! I think Owen could've been written better though, his final scene is so odd if not for the sweet scene with Giles, Buffy looking sad as he walks away would feel kind of unearned.
    8. Nightmares. It's a good episode, but the tone of the episode just feels different from all of the other season 1 episodes; it's consistently dark.
    7. The Harvest. Definitely not as entertaining nor memorable as the pilot episode, but an important episode nonetheless and still enjoyable!
    6. Witch. Other than just being a lot of fun, there are some great, subtle moments between Buffy and Giles here.
    5. The Puppet Show. Another fun episode! And the introduction of Snyder! Who I love to hate.
    4. Out of Mind, Out of Sight. Cordelia! That's really all I have to say about this episode, but this is such a good episode for her. I love that we're given more insight into her character and then at the end she's noticeably changed by her experience, but still largely the same.
    3. Welcome to the Hellmouth. It's far from the best episode, or even the best season opener, but it does its job of introducing us the characters, world, dynamics, etc. and I can't think of anything I'd change in the episode to make it any better.
    2. Angel. A game-changing episode for the series! Until this episode, we're just getting 'high school is hell' stories, which are great, but it's not until "Angel" where some serious depth is added to the show and just as Buffy's ideas of morality and the mythos with regard to the show is forever changed, so is ours, the audience. Plus, I love all of the Buffy/Angel in this episode :p
    1. Prophecy Girl. Not just a great episode by season 1's standards, but a great episode overall. So many great lines, too: "We saved the world. I say we party." A very fitting way to end the season!

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  10. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

Season 1 is definitely the easiest to rank the episodes.

Great
    1. Prophecy Girl (obviously)

Solid
    2. The Pack
    -The High School Years Vol. 1: Freaks and Geeks (because I'm pretentious like that)
    3. Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest
    4. Angel

Fun
    5. Nightmares
    6. The Puppet Show (definitely too much S1 silliness, but I can't help but love the humor and Snyder)
    -The High School Years Vol. 2- Glutton for Punishment
    7. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
    8. Out of Mind, Out of Sight

Not Great:
    9. Witch
    10. Teacher's Pet

Pretty F******* Awful
    11. I Robot, You Jane

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  11. Antho

Antho Scooby

1 : Alias Angélus/Angel
    2 : Le manuscrit/Prophecy Girl
    3 : Portée Disparue/Out of Mind Out of Sight
    4 : Billy/Nightmares
    5 : Les Hyénes/The Pack
    6 : Bienvenue à Sunnydale partie 1/Welcome to the Hellmouth part one
    7 : Un premier rendez-vous manqué/Never kill a boy
    8 : Sortiléges/Witch
    9 : Bienvenue à Sunnydale part 2/Welcome to the Hellmouth part 2
    10 : Moloch/I Robot you Jane
    11 : La Marionnette/Puppet Show
    12 : Le Chouchou du Prof/Teacher's pet

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  12. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    1. Prophecy Girl - great episode and the first one that made me realize the show was really worth watching
    2. Angel - a little too slow for me but at least it's relevant for the season's arc
    3. The Pack - the one that made me hate Xander but it's not horrible to watch and Willow is awesome here
    4. The Puppet Show - so bad that it's kinda funny and I also felt sorry for Sid but it's too cringeworthy for me
    5. Nightmares - fun to watch
    6. The Harvest - I can't rank lower 'cause of the nostalgia
    7. Welcome To The Hellmouth - a little weak for a pilot but also the nostalgia thing
    8. Out of Mind, Out of Sight - CORDY!!
    9. Witch - Amy is so underrated, poor thing
    10. I Robot, You Jane - Buffy's glasses give my life a meaning
    11. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date - relevant for season's arc but torture for my eyes
    12. Teacher's Pet - "What the f*** am I watching?"

13. nemilyxo

nemilyxo Townie

Sineya
    My picks are... :)

1. Welcome to the Hellmouth
    2. The Harvest
    3. I Robot, You Jane (i love Moloch the Corruptor i don't know why! aha)
    4. The Puppet Show
    5. The Pack
    6. Angel
    7. Prophecy Girl
    8. Witch
    9. Nightmares
    10. Never Kill a Boy on The First Date
    11. Out of Mind, Out of Sight
    12. Teacher's Pet

14. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

1. Prophecy Girl
    2. Angel
    3. Out of Mind, Out of Sight
    4. Nightmares
    5. Witch
    6. Never Kill A Boy On the First Date
    7. Welcome to the Hellmouth
    8. The Pack
    9. The Harvest
    10. The Puppet Show
    11. Teacher's Pet
    12. I Robot, You Jane

Living Dead Boy likes this.
  15. Puppet

Puppet My ass is not pansy!

Black Thorn
    Wow, this is not going to be easy, but at least it's just 12 episodes, and not 22 :)

12. The Pack. I'm not surprised that this is higher on some of the other lists, but I have my issues with this. And not just the uncomfortable feeling I get, whenever I remember that Xander chose to tell Buffy that he remembered nothing and get off without having to apologize, but also because I found a few glaring plot holes, the acting extremely stilted and awkward and the lore confounding and senseless. I definitely try to avoid this in re-watches.
    11. Teacher's Pet. Perhaps I'm remembering wrong, but I feel like, even for its time, the puppeteer work of the life-size Preying Mantis was awful and it cannot be forgiven, lol. I've also got issues with some of the dialogue, and, again, the lore has me tilting my head and going 'huh'. That's not even to mention the plot hole at the end that I still wish someone would fix, even if it would now have to be in the comics!
    10. I, Robot...You, Jane. While it was nice to get to know Willow a bit better (and meet Jenny) the flaws in this are glaring and, since most of you have already pointed that out, I'll just leave it here.
    9. Angel. The hand that reaches through the door, when the vampire has not been given an invite. The lack of any sort of connection we feel with one of the episodes two villains - the Three. The cartoonish way Darla is portrayed, compared to the stellar performance in later AtS episodes. Buffy is threatened with guns for the first time; no other villain (until Warren) ever does the same and Buffy keeps using old fashioned weaponry when she should've learned better. Oh, and, let's not forget Angel, who I severely dislike when he's not on his own show. An Angel-centric episode? No thanks.
    8. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date. Now it starts getting harder to pick, because I'm trying to choose between episodes that I actually enjoy watching. This one lost out as a 'worst of the best', which isn't too bad. It does have some issues with the bland Owen, leaving the audience wondering why Buffy even wants to date him in the first place, but in retrospect I think that's saved by realizing that it wasn't so much Owen she wanted, as the normal life that he represented to her.
    7. The Harvest. Though I do enjoy this one, it was not as good as the pilot, despite technically being the second of a two-parter. However, it was a defining moment for Xander and who he would become over the years, so for that it earned its spot on this list.
    6. The Puppet Show. Don't let my name fool ya, this is not my number one, but I do like it. I thought Sid was a wonderful one-off character, at the time of first watching it I was totally fooled by the red herring, who can forget our first meeting with the Snyde-Monster, and the end credits scene is freakin adorable.
    5. Witch. Now we get to the cream of the crop for me. No highlighting mistakes anymore. There are a lot of things I love about this episode; the first glimpses of Cordelia as more than just a one-dimensional popular girl, a villain who is entirely human but still abusing power, our first meeting with Amy Madison, Xander's crush on Buffy defining itself. "You're my Xander-shaped friend." Realizing that Buffy is not impervious and can still be harmed, the campiness of the directing, the cliffhanger-esque ending (which is brilliantly touched on by Oz in S2).
    4. Welcome to the Hellmouth. As an avid watcher of television, I've never been a fan of pilots, which may be why this is not numero uno, but this is definitely a better pilot than most shows can brag. While this is more enjoyable as a re-watch (I love coming back to it, knowing how the characters will change in seven years) it still did exactly what a pilot is meant to; it introduced us to the characters, made the overall plot clear, showed us the S1 arc villain, gave us some scares, made us laugh, and, to an extent, made us care slightly about these strangers, all in the span of forty minutes. And, to this day, I still love the twist Whedon gave us in the cold open, with Darla. Just brilliant, a true product of its day.
    3. Nightmares. Words cannot describe how much I love this. From delving into their fears and really showing us how flawed these characters are, which make them more real, to Xander getting a chance to face down his monster and then punching it in the face (a great use of metaphor, imo), to frighteningly realizing the fears Buffy and Giles have, that connect. And that, at the end of it all, the reason for it is human evil, can't forget that. Perhaps the only real thing keeping this from a higher spot on my list, is that I wish we could have gotten to see Angel facing his fears. Might have made him feel more real and less like a shadow person.
    2. Out of Mind, Out of Sight. Clea Duvall is as close to perfection as it's gonna get and I loved her as Marcie Ross. Cordelia finally got to have her moment in the spotlight, character wise, and there's a reason she's one of my favorite characters, in both shows. "It beats being alone all by yourself." This quote really said something about who she was beyond the mask that we'd been shown. Buffy actually using something we'd seen her practice with Giles, very cool use of the plot connecting itself throughout. Another human villain, I tend to enjoy these despite knowing that I'm watching a supernaturally themed show, go figure. I thought the score was wonderful, the Marcie POV was as delightful as it was uncommon at the time, and, for once, I actually enjoyed the cliffhanger-y ending.
    1. Prophecy Girl. How could it be anything else? I'll just leave you with this. "I like your dress" - several characters. "You have fruit-punch mouth." - Buffy. "It wasn't our world anymore. They made it theirs. And they had fun." - Willow. "Stop looking at my neck!" - Xander. And, of course. "Giles, I'm sixteen years old. I don't wanna die." - Buffy.

Wow, this was not supposed to get this long, but there you have it :)

16. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    1. Prophecy Girl
    2. Angel
    3. Witch
    4. Out of Mind, Out of Sight
    5. The Harvest
    6. Welcome to the Hellmouth
    7. Nightmares
    8. Teacher's Pet
    9. I Robot, You Jane