• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Rank the Season 1 Episodes

S

solitarysapphic

Since I just finished Season 1 on my current rewatch this is the perfect time to rank them as they are fresh in my mind. My rankings tend to change with every rewatch but for now this is it.

1. Nightmares (I don't know what it is with this episode but I've always loved it. Just seeing their insecurities and nightmares come to life was always fascinating and I loved how it was done.)
2. Welcome to the Hellmouth (A very close second. Nostalgia city here! Ahh I wish I was older back in the 90s but anyway! Such a great series opener imo.)
3. The Harvest (Same as above. Love the Buffy/Luke fight and let's not forget the cymbal throw!)
4. Angel (The beginning of Bangel, do I need to say more? Also always a great reveal even though I know it's coming.)
5. Prophecy Girl (Buffy's speech about not wanting to die, SMG gets me every time with that acting. Although I felt the final fight with the Master was a bit anticlimatic, still a great season finale.)
6. The Puppet Show (even if dolls always freak me out, I really love the idea of this episode!)
7. Witch (The introduction of Amy and the spark to the flame that is Willow's future storylines.)
8. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date (Giles hiding in the morgue, always makes me laugh. Also the bus scene is so chilling!)
9. Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight (I love the interactions between Buffy and Cordelia.)
10. Teacher's Pet (Not much to say on this one, but I do like it.)
11. I Robot You Jane (I actually like parts of this episode, but again not one of my favorites.)
12. The Pack (I hated seeing Xander like that, never been very fond of the episode.)

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
1. Prophecy Girl
2. Welcome to the Hellmouth
3. The Harvest
4. Angel
5. Witch
6. The Pack
7. Nightmares
8. Never Kill a Boy on The First Date
9. Out of Mind, Out of Sight
10. Teacher's Pet
11. I Robot, You Jane
12. The Puppet Show

I know a lot of people love Puppet show but I just acn't stand it!

Carrie Hopewell
Carrie Hopewell
Can't stand The Puppet Show either!

shoshone

Townie
WIP, as I'm rewatching the series for the first time, I'll update this post with each new episode I see!

01. Welcome to Hellmouth great introduction of the characters and the universe, it made me wanna see more and more of it
02. Witch it was very entertaining, fun and thrilling! I didn't remember the cliffhanger and was surprised again. Lol at Willow saying "I can hel you with witchcraft"
03. The Harvest solid episode, though a little underwhelming after the premise of the pilot

Evil Seal

The Blake Bortles of whatever's going on right now
1. Prophecy Girl
2. Nightmares
3. Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest (I can't watch one without watching the other)
4. Witch
5. Angel (I'm not a Bangelite but that was a good origin story)
6. The Puppet Show (if only for the post-credits scene)
7. The Pack
8. Out of Mind, Out of Sight
9. I Robot, You Jane (I love this episode, can't believe it's this low on the list but then again I love them all)
10. Teacher's Pet
11. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date

shoshone

Townie
★★★★½
Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
Out of Mind, Out of Sight

★★★★
The Puppet Show
Witch

★★★½
The Pack
Welcome to Hellmouth
Angel

★★★
Prophecy Girl
The Harvest
Teacher's Pet

★★
I, Robot... You, Jane
Nightmares

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
1. Angel
2. Prophecy Girl
3. Welcome to the Hellmouth
4. The Harvest
5. Nightmares
6. Witch
7. Teacher's Pet
8. The Puppet Show
10. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
11. The Pack
12. I Robot...You Jane

Mr Trick

Scooby
12. 'Teacher's Pet'
11. 'I Robot, You Jane'
10. 'Never Kill a Boy On the First Date'
9. 'The Witch'
8. 'Nightmares'
7. 'The Harvest'
6. 'The Pack'
5. 'Angel'
4. 'Out of Sight, Out of Mind' (people have been a bit rough on this episode:()
3. 'Welcome to the Hellmouth'
2. 'Prophecy Girl'
1. 'The Puppet Show'

Am changing the list!

12. Teacher's Pet
11. i robot... you jane
10. Nightmares
9. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
8. Witch
7. The Harvest
6. The Pack
5. Out of Sight out of Mind
4. Angel
2. Prophecy Girl
1. The Puppet Show

Always find NKBOTFD oddly watchable:)

1. Prophecy Girl
3. The Harvest
4. Out of Mind, Out of Sight
5. Witch
6. Angel
7. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
8. I, Robot... You, Jane
9. Nightmares
10. Teacher's Pet
11. The Puppet Show
12. The Pack

All of the season one episodes were pretty terrible except for the first six on my list. Still - an OK start to a wonderful and magnificent series that I have cherished and will cherish in my heart forever.

slayer730

Potential
  1. Prophecy Girl
  3. Angel
  4. Nightmares
  5. Out of Mind, Out of Sight
  6. The Harvest
  7. Witch
  8. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
  9. The Pack
  10. The Puppet Show
  11. Teacher's Pet
  12. I Robot, You Jane

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
1. Nightmares
2. The Pack
3. Prophecy Girl
4. Angel
5. Never Kill A Boy On The First Date (love the end Buffy/Giles)
6. Welcome to the Hellmouth
7. The Harvest
8. Out of Mind, Out of Sight
9. The Puppet Show
10. Witch
11. I Robot, You Jane
12 Teacher's Pet

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
1. Nightmares
2. The Pack
3. Prophecy Girl
4. Out of mind out of sight
5. Witch
6. The Puppet Show - I mean the ending alone :D
7. Angel
8. The Harvest
9. Welcome to the Hellmouth
10. Never Kill a boy on the first date
11. Teacher’s pet
12. I Robot, You Jane

Next time I rank the seasons I need to think about moving season 1 up because only the last two on this list are bad (and even then I’d happily watch them). Season 1 is such a gem.

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
1. The Puppet Show (I'm a sucker for a living doll episode)
2. Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest (Enjoy both equally)
3. Nightmares (A really strong horror episode)
4. Prophecy Girl (Love the apocalyptic feel of this one)
5. Witch (This one's just really fun)
6. Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight (The metaphor in this is really strong and Marcie makes for a really threatening 'villain')
7. Angel (I like the interaction between Buffy and Angel and the ending is really nice; however something always feels off with it - not sure why)
8. Teacher's Pet (A fairly silly idea actually done quite well)
9. I Robot, You Jane (A guilty pleasure: 'I'm jacked in...' is brilliant)
10. Never Kill A Boy On The First Date (Always found this a bit dull but the ending between Buffy and Giles is excellent)
11. The Pack (Not terrible but not anything special either. Plus Willow has her heart stomped on and I will not stand for it)

I actually find the first season to be really underrated. It's story arc is just OK but the episodes are a lot of fun and the variety on display is really lovely.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Having re-watched the first season I have changed my rankings slightly.

12. Teacher's Pet (probably one of the weakest of the whole show)
11. i robot... you jane (some nice character moments and a good debut for Jenny, but the MOTW is awful)
10. Nightmares (don't get the love for this one, the plot is messy and I never engaged with the Billy plot)
9. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date (Very watchable with a nice twist and end, but Owen really is a black hole:p)
8. Witch (Good cheesy fun, and Amy is decent too, let down by some ropy effects and plotting)
7. The Harvest (Drags a bit more than the first half of the pilot, but still decent)
6. Out of Sight out of Mind (Great performance from Duvall and some important character moments, some rough set pieces)
5. The Pack (Brandon is great and I like the darker tone and look at bullying)
4. Welcome to the Hellmouth (A very solid pilot which does a good job of setting things up without giving too much away)
3. Angel (A powerful episode which finally gives Angel something proper to do. Darla has a good death too.)
2. Prophecy Girl (Such a heartbreaking, beautiful, well written and acted episode. A great way to end S1 and set up S2)
1. The Puppet Show (rankings are all about personal choices and Puppet Show just speaks to me the most out of all from S1)

Gris

Undead
Just finnished rewatching Season 1 and my list from best to worst goes as follows:

1. Prophecy Girl
2. Angel
4. Nightmares
6. The Harvest
7. Witch
8. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
9. The Pack
10. The Puppet Show
11. I Robot, You Jane
12. Teacher's Pet

Some of the worst episodes still have great moments in it. I made myself watch all episodes on this rewatch, but if I ever decide to marathon all Buffy's seasons again I'm skipping some of these. It troubles me because I don't want to miss out on some cool and funny interactions between the gang, but I can't imagine giving another 40 minutes of my life to a giant kidnapping mantis.

vampmogs

Potential
My list;

1) Prophecy Girl: Incredibly iconic and one of my Top 10 episodes of the entire series. I adore it from start to finish.
2) Angel: The Bangel bedroom scenes are both beautiful and haunting and this is the season's best use of the vampire villains (Darla and The Master are both interesting here). Also, DB is never hotter than he is in this episode *swoon*
3) The Witch: I honestly love this episode. The shock body-swap twist was really well done and the actress who played Catherine was great. I'd have loved to see her free herself from the cheerleading statue and come back at some point.
4) Welcome to the Hellmouth: It actually does a great job of setting up the characters and the series and I have a lot of really fond memories of watching this episode and agonising over the cliff-hanger
5) The Harvest: Pretty much for the reasons gave above ^
6) Out of Mind, Out of Sight: I thought Marcie turning invisible because she felt invisible was a really great idea and a perfect example of how the series could cleverly use high school angst to tell supernatural stories
7) Nightmares: Vamp!Buffy is great but I kind of feel it's a wasted idea here. I'd have liked to see a Vamp!Buffy storyline in Season 2 or beyond once the series had found it's footing more. Some of the dreams were also a little corny and whilst I sympathised with Buffy over her parent's divorce, I can just never get too upset over the nightmare of Hank when it's so obvious it isn't real
8) The Pack: NB is great in this episode and the scene of Xander attacking Buffy whilst 'the pack' kill Principle Flutie are genuinely horrific. Hyena possession is a bit of a bizarre and strange concept for an episode, though.
9) Never Kill A Boy On The First Date: I liked that this episode expanded on the seasonal arc and I actually thought the crazy, preachy vampire was a intimidating villain. Owen was incredibly dull, however.
10) The Puppet Show: Honestly, I didn't mind this episode when Sid was being depicted as the villain. However, I cringe throughout the rest of the episode when the gang interact with him and they reveal he's on their side. It's an interesting twist but it's just really hard to take the episode seriously. Also, whilst I know Buffy was meant to have a dummy-phobia, it feels very unrealistic that she'd scream in her bedroom and ask Joyce to check under the covers for her. Um, no.
11) Teacher's Pet: Much like "The Pack", I think the whole idea of a gigantic Prey-Mantis is such a bizarre idea for an episode. It's the kind of idea you'd expect much later in a series when the writers have exhausted all the usual options for a MotW storyline. Why a prey-mantis? Why not a werewolf? Or a ghost? Or a zombie? etc. I mean, props to the writers I guess for trying to be original, but it really is strange. And "hook guy" is really cringeworthy.
12) I Robot You Jane: I have very few positives to say about this episode at all. It's without a doubt the most dated episode of the series and the idea is ridiculous. The only positives is that it's quite a nice introduction for Jenny Calendar.

EDIT: Oops I forgot "Never Kill A Boy On The First Date!" Thanks Topher :) I've added it now!

Last edited:
thetopher
thetopher
@vampmogs : What about 'Never Kill A Boy On The First Date'?

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
1. Prophecy Girl- Really marked a transformation for the show, powerful, a great blend of intense and funny.
2. The Witch- A guilty pleasure favorite of mine, great plot, great twists. I enjoyed this one, and though it was one of the best in S1
3. Angel- Obviously an important ep, provided backstory to Angel, cute Bangel moments, not just a monster of the week
4. Welcome to the Hellmouth- Cute and fun introduction to Buffy and the gang, funny, snappy, all around great first episode
5. The Harvest- Fun, but still important. Sets up great and interesting stuff, funny, and very quippy.
6. Nightmares- An interesting concept episode, similar to future favorites. Loved Vamp!Buffy.
7. Out of Sight, Out of Mind- I liked the themes, and how it could be quite dark at certain moments
8. The Puppet Show- For some good old fun! Also, lots of great quotes, and the ending is fantastic.
9. Never Kill A Boy On The First Date- I liked the villains, the quotes, it was fairly forgettable, but still fun
10. The Pack- I didn't really care for this one. Xander was well acted, though.
11. I Robot, You Jane- Such a weird and hokey episode. Dated, unrealistic and cheesy.
12. Teacher's Pet- One of the worst monster of the week episodes. Weird, and plenty of bad Xander moments. A cheese-fest.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I'm sorry but I don't consider any of the Season 1 episodes to be Rank!

AurelWillow

Townie
1. Prophecy Girl
2. Nightmares
3. Angel
4. Welcome to the Hellmouth
6. The Puppet Show
7. The Harvest
8. Witch
9. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
10. The Pack
11. I, Robot... You, Jane
12. Teacher's Pet

Tank1978

Scooby
1. Prophecy girl
2. Angel
3. Witch
4. Out of mind, out of sight
5. The harvest
6. The puppet show
7. Welcome to the hellmouth
8. Teacher's pet
9. Nightmares
10. The pack
11. Never kill a boy on the first date
12. I, robot... you, Jane

Mr Trick

Scooby
Having re-watched the first season I have changed my rankings slightly.

12. Teacher's Pet (probably one of the weakest of the whole show)
11. i robot... you jane (some nice character moments and a good debut for Jenny, but the MOTW is awful)
10. Nightmares (don't get the love for this one, the plot is messy and I never engaged with the Billy plot)
9. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date (Very watchable with a nice twist and end, but Owen really is a black hole:p)
8. Witch (Good cheesy fun, and Amy is decent too, let down by some ropy effects and plotting)
7. The Harvest (Drags a bit more than the first half of the pilot, but still decent)
6. Out of Sight out of Mind (Great performance from Duvall and some important character moments, some rough set pieces)
5. The Pack (Brandon is great and I like the darker tone and look at bullying)
4. Welcome to the Hellmouth (A very solid pilot which does a good job of setting things up without giving too much away)
3. Angel (A powerful episode which finally gives Angel something proper to do. Darla has a good death too.)
2. Prophecy Girl (Such a heartbreaking, beautiful, well written and acted episode. A great way to end S1 and set up S2)
1. The Puppet Show (rankings are all about personal choices and Puppet Show just speaks to me the most out of all from S1)

And I'll change it a little bit again.

1. The Puppet Show
2. Prophecy Girl
3. Angel
4. The Pack
5. Welcome to the Hellmouth
6. The Harvest
7. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
8. Witch
10. i robot... you jane
11. Nightmares