• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Rank the Season 2 Episodes

Samuel Reyes

Chilling in SunnyD
Wow, just did this with Season 1 and as I browsed over the list of episodes from Season 2, I realized just how many good ones there are and how much harder it's going to be to rank these.

There may be some disagreement but for me it (currently) goes...

22. Reptile Boy (very weak ep with a terrible Monster of the Week)
21. Go Fish (at this point in the season we were coming to expect great things)
20. Bad Eggs (better paced than the first two, still a little on the downside)
19. Some Assembly Required
18. Inca Mummy Girl
17. Killed by Death (for the same reasons as #21, though it has its moments)
16. Phases
15. What's My Line, Part 1
14. When She Was Bad
13. The Dark Age
12. Surprise
11. I Only Have Eyes for You
10. Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered
9. Ted (underrated episode with a chilling performance by the late John Ritter)
8. School Hard (first appearance of Spike and Drusilla, definitely where things to start to get better)
7. Halloween (very fun episode)
6. Becoming, Part 1
5. Innocence (rocket launcher!)
4. Passion (Poor Jenny Calendar...)
3. Lie to Me (very tragic when you stop and think about it, plus that moment between Buffy and Giles at the end)
2. What's My Line, Part 2 (I know, I know, but for me it was very exciting)
1. Becoming, Part 2 (What else can be said??)

Time to review Season 3 (or as I call it, the season with no bad episodes)...

22. 'Bad Eggs'
21. 'Go Fish'
20. 'Ted'
19. 'Some Assembly Required'
18. 'Reptile Boy'
17. 'Inca Mummy Girl'
16. 'Killed by Death'
15. 'The Dark Age'
14. 'I Only Have Eyes For You'
13. 'When She Was Bad''
12. 'Phases'
11. 'What's My Line, Part 1'
10. 'What's My Line, Part 2'
9. 'School Hard''
8. 'Lie to Me'
7. 'Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered'
6. 'Surprise'
5. 'Halloween'
4. 'Becoming, Part 1'
3. 'Innocence'
2.' Becoming, Part 2'
1. 'Passion'

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
22. 'Inca Mummy Girl'
21. 'Bad Eggs'
20. 'Some Assembly Required'
19. 'Reptile Boy'
18. 'When She Was Bad.'
17. 'Go Fish'
16. 'Ted'
15. What's My Line. Part 1
14. 'Lie To Me'
13. What's My Line, Part 2
12. 'Phases'
11. 'I Only Have Eyes For You'
10. 'The Dark Age'
9. 'Innocence'
8. 'Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered'
7. 'Killed By Death'
6. 'Surprise'
5. 'School Hard'
4. 'Halloween'
3. 'Becoming, Part 1'
2. 'Passion'
1. 'Becoming, Part 2'

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
There waas actually a lot of weak episode at the beginning of this season, never really noticed. Anyhow, here is my list.

22. Reptile Boy
21. Ted
20. Bad Eggs
18. Go Fish
17. Inca Mummy Girl
16. When She Was Bad
15. Lie To Me
14. What's My Line 1
13. What's My Line 2
12. Surprise
11. Phases
10. Innocence
9. School Hard
8. The Dark Age
7. Killed By Death
6. Becoming 1
5. Halloween
4. BB&B
3. Becoming 2
2. I Only Have Eyes For You
1. Passion

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Season 2 has a lot of weak episodes but then it has some of the best in the series. some of the ones in the middle could be switched, Id have to watch this season again.

22. Inca Mummy Girl
21. Some Assembly Required
20. Reptile Boy
19. Bad Eggs
18. Lie To Me
17. The Dark Age
16. I Only Have Eyes For You
15. What's My Line pt 1
14. Killed By Death
13. When She Was Bad
12. what's My Line pt 2
11. Ted
10. Go Fish
9. Phases
8. Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered
7. Becoming pt 1
6. Becoming pt 2
5. School Hard
4. Halloween
3. Surprise
2. Innocence
1. Passion

Mr Trick

Scooby
Season 2 has a lot of weak episodes but then it has some of the best in the series. some of the ones in the middle could be switched, Id have to watch this season again.

22. Inca Mummy Girl
21. Some Assembly Required
20. Reptile Boy
19. Bad Eggs
18. Lie To Me
17. The Dark Age
16. I Only Have Eyes For You
15. What's My Line pt 1
14. Killed By Death
13. When She Was Bad
12. what's My Line pt 2
11. Ted
10. Go Fish
9. Phases
7. Becoming pt 1
6. Becoming pt 2
5. School Hard
4. Halloween
3. Surprise
2. Innocence
1. Passion

Yeah I tend to think that is because the early part of the season is maybe still material left over from season one, and that the show was still trying to find its feet at this point. Would still say it is one of my favourite seasons and agree that it does have some of the best ever episodes.

22. Go Fish (despite Xander's speedos moment;))
21. Reptile Boy
20. Inca Mummy Girl
18. Bad Eggs
17. Lie to Me
16. What's My Line pt 1
15. The Dark Age
14. Killed by Death
13. What's My Line pt 2
12. I Only Have Eyes For You
11. Phases
10. Ted
9. Becoming pt 1
8. When She Was Bad
7. Becoming pt 2
6. Halloween
5. Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered
4. School Hard (Spike is bad arse in this episode!)
3. Surprise
2. Innocence
1. Passion

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Just had to mention Xander in a speedo huh? Lol. It was great!

Wild At Heart

the moon lights his way
01. Becoming Part 2
02. Becoming Part 1
03. Passion
04. Innocence
05. Surprise
06. I Only Have Eyes For You
07. When She Was Bad
08. Lie To Me
09. Halloween
10. School Hard
11. What's My Line Part 2
12. What's My Line Part 1
13. The Dark Age
14. Inca Mummy Girl
15. Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered
16. Ted
17. Bad Eggs
18. Killed By Death
19. Phases
20. Reptile Boy
21. Go Fish
22. Some Assembly Required

I know some people would hate me for putting Ted so low but while I liked the episode, it was far from one of my favorites.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yeah I'm one of those people sorry!

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
There's so many great episodes in season 2. It's one of my favourite seasons.

1) Surprise
2) Innocence
3) Becoming Part 2
4) Becoming Part 1
5) Passions
6) What's My Line Part 1
7) What's My Line Part 2
8) Bad Eggs
9) School Hard
10) Halloween
11) When She Was Bad
12) I Only Have Eyes For You
13) Lie To Me
14) Ted
15) Reptile Boy
16) Some Assembly Required
17) Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered
18) Killed By Death
19) Go Fish
20) Phases
21) Dark Age
22) Inca Mummy Girl

My Season 2 Rankings - A lot of strong ones but some real stinkers and some ones that personally feel weak to me.
22. Inca Mummy Girl- dull episode with a very unsubtle 'she's just like Buffy!' metaphor. Oh, and Ampata was evil, she horribly killed people for entirely selfish reasons. Only mildly redeemed by the begiining Oz/Willow stuff and Willow's Eskimo outfit.
21. Some Assembly Requried- Some rewriting required more like. Dumb.
20. Go Fish- I should like this more- the Xander stuff is funny and the monster reveal is clever, but its a bit too light given all the nasty subject matter.
19. I Only Have Eyes For You- Ghosts tend to bore me. The Bangel resolution was nice but in hindsight it didn't resolve much.
18. The Dark Age- a poor reveal of Giles' dark youth. Demon is also meh. Good characterising though. Nice to see Willow save the day with her brain.
17. Ted- Buffy kills a robot!? Buffy kills a robot? Buffy kills a robot and Joyce doesn't remember any of it? Still, this was funny with a nice guest star role as the suburban terminator.
16. Reptile Boy- I find this fun and throwaway episode. Willow shouting at Angel and Giles is a highlight, plus undercover Xander and also the Cordelia/Buffy show.
15. Bad Eggs- High school sex ed! Evil, mind-controlling eggs! Cowboy vampires! The cheese is so thick you could slice it. Fun.
14. What's My Line Part 2- Resolution tot eh cheesy plot. Buffy being bitchy to another slayer-Kendra - is a bit more unstandable here than in S3.
13. What's My Line Part 1- The first two-parter. Uneven pacing but lots of good bits. Plot's a bit cheesy but that's part of its charm.
12. Killed By Death- Creepy and unsettling.
11. Passion- Would be higher (top 5) if I cared about Jenny at all. Poor Giles though. A nice Angelus monologue and some cool Angelus kicking.
10. Lie To Me- Another Buffy slowly becoming a grown-up episode. One of the best the first half has to offer. Also I like Willow/Angel interacting.
9. Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered- a showwhat brain-washy premise made bearable by NB's very funny likeable performance. He makes this great.
8. Surprise- Lots of build-up for the pay-oof later. Still full of enough foreshadowing to be enjoyable.
7. When She Was Bad- Back when horrible bitchy Buffy was interesting/fun to watch. Plus I like the plot to resurrect the Master.
6. Phases- personal favourite. Werewolves and Wilow/Oz. Nice.
5. School Hard- Spike & Dru...what else do you need? Oh, they kill the annoying vampire kid. :D
4. Innocence- 'What's that do?' 'BOOM!' And Buffy kicks Angel in the nuts- something I will want to do to him a lot over on his own show. :p
3. Becoming Part 1- Angel's backstory, Whistler's voice-over, Xander's fish-stick theatre- all really good. Would've been better if I cared about Kendra that much.
2. Halloween- Glorious, fun, nice use of metaphor (we all wear masks) plus the Ripper/Ethan Rayne stuff is born.
1. Becoming Part 2- Epic and heartbreaking. Willow does her first big spell. The saddest, most moving finale until 'The Gift'

bespangeled

Scooby
Black Thorn
01. Becoming Part 2
02. Passion
03. School Hard
04. Lie To Me
05. Innocence
06. What's My Line Part 2 (Angel bondage and torture...mmmm)
07. The Dark Age
08. Halloween
09. Surprise
10. When She Was Bad
11. Becoming Part 1
12. What's My Line Part 1
13. Phases
14. IOHEFY
15. Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered
16. Ted
17. Bad Eggs
18. Killed By Death
19. Inca Mummy Girl
20. Reptile Boy
21. Go Fish
22. Some Assembly Required

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
1. Becoming Part 2
2. Innocence
3. I Only Have Eyes For You
4. Becoming Part 1
5. Passion
6. Surprise
7. What's my Line Part 2
9. What's my Line Part 1
10. School Hard
11. Lie to Me
12. Halloween
13. When She Was Bad
14. The Dark Age
15. Phases
16. Bad Eggs
17. Reptile Boy
18. Some Assembly Required
19. Ted
20.Inca Mummy Girl
21. Killed by Death
22. Go Fish

Scary and Veiny

Darth Rosenberg
As with Season 1, this tends to be subject to change upon rewatching but as of right now from best to worst:

1) Becoming Part 2
2) Becoming Part 1
3) I Only Have Eyes For You
4) Innocence
5) Passion
6) Surprise
7) Halloween
8) What's My Line Part 2
9) School Hard
10) Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered
11) What's My Line Part 1
12) Phases
13) Lie To Me
14) Ted (this is only as high as it is because of John Ritter, to be honest)
15) The Dark Age
16) When She Was Bad
17) Killed By Death
18) Some Assembly Required
19) Bad Eggs
20) Inca Mummy Girl
21) Reptile Boy
22) Go Fish (in my top five least favorite episodes of the entire series, although it does get a point for Xander in a speedo)

The Ferg

Scooby
Ok this is going to take quite a bit more time for me than the Season 1 rankings, but I think the best and worst are pretty clear.

Best/Favorites:
School Hard
Halloween
Surprise/Innocence
Passion
Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered
Killed by Death
Becoming

Worst:

Some Assembly Required
Inca Mummy Girl
Ted
Bad Eggs

Xanderectomy

Professional Procrastinator
TOP 5 Best Episodes.
5.Passion
4.Innocence
3.I Only Have Eyes For You
2.Lie To Me
1.Becoming Pt.2

Top 5 Worst Episodes.
5.Reptile Boy
4.Inca Mummy Girl
3.Ted
2.Bad Eggs
1.Go Fish

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Pretty much agree with your worse choices except Ted which I think is quite good.

nemilyxo

Townie
Sineya
22. Bad Eggs
21. Inca Mummy Girl
20. Reptile Boy
18. Go Fish
17. Ted
16. Phases
15. Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered
14. Surprise
13. Innocence
12. When She Was Bad
11. Lie to me
10. Whats my line part 1
9. Whats my line part 2
8. The Dark Age
7. I Only Have Eyes For You
6. Halloween
5. Killed by Death
4. Becoming part 1
3. Becoming part 2
2. School Bad
1. Passion (I cry everytime.)

Priceless

Scooby
Season 2 is really mixed with some terrible episodes :)

1 Becoming Pt 2
2 Halloween
3 Becoming Pt 1
4 School Hard
5 Lie To Me
6 Bewitched Bothered & Bewildered
7 Passion
8 What's My Line Pt2
9 Innocence
10 Phases
11 The Dark Age
12 What's My Line Pt 1
13 Surprise
14 Ted
15 When She Was Bad
16 Killed By Death
17 I Only Have Eyes For You
18 Reptile Boy
19 Some Assembly Required
20 Inca Mummy Girl
21 Go Fish
22 Bad Eggs

Mylie

Scooby
1. Becoming Part 2
2. Passion
3. I Only Have Eyes For You
4. Becoming Part 1
5. Innocence
6. Surprise
7. Halloween
8. What's My Line Part 2
9. Lie To Me
10. What's My Line Part 1
11. School Hard
12. Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered
13. When She Was Bad
14. Ted
15. Reptile Boy
16. The Dark Age
17. Killed By Death
18. Bad Eggs
19. Phases
20. Some Assembly Required
21. Inca Mummy Girl
22. Go Fish

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Holy crap, here we go again. If my S1 ranking took up a lot of space, well...damn.

22. Reptile Boy. The only redeeming scene in this episode, for me, is Willow's breakdown with Angel and Giles, a hint at what was to come for her character maturity and evolvement. The rest was a mess, from the lousy penis-looking monster, to Cordelia's over-the-top self-absorbed personality, to Buffy justifying her lies, to the cardboard human villains. I don't skip it in rewatches, but it's a close call each time.
21. Go Fish. Only takes this spot because it has more than 1 redeeming moment; Xander in speedo (who doesn't love that hah!), Cordelia showing some depth when she thinks her boyfriend has been transformed into a fish monster, and Snyder being his regular asshole self. The rest, as they say, is a ****ing mess.
20. Some Assembly Required. As someone else mentioned, the beginning of S2 felt like they were still trying to find their footing, so some episodes felt like they belonged in S1; this was one of them. Which doesn't mean it was bad, but considering how good most of the rest of the season was, well...there you go.
19. Inca Mummy Girl. While it is a bit of an anvil, I do sorta enjoy the similarities they point to between Buffy and Impata. But my favorite parts of this otherwise 'meh' episode are definitely the interactions of Oz and Willow though, of course, not with each other, not yet. Oz's exchange with Devon is adorable and Willow's costume fits her character so well. It was also nice to see Jonathan again :)
18. Bad Eggs. Not a fan of the Gorch brothers, seem pretty silly as far as villains go, and the episode isn't help by the equal silliness of the Mother Bezoar. The eggs are a little better, but not by much. What saves this episode, for me, is the character interactions. Buffy and Xander being the only unaffected ones was very interesting to me; the all-powerful Slayer and the weakest member of her Scooby Gang. Or so we thought...
17. When She Was Bad. I mentioned in my S1 ranking that I usually don't like pilots, and the same is usually true for the first episodes of a new season. It is no less true here. The only reason this one isn't 22 is because of the weaker episodes that S2 had. I found Buffy's angsty storyline slightly exaggerated and dealt with far too quickly. Definitely shoulda been a 2-parter, imo.
16. Lie to Me. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad episode, we are now moving into the rest of the list which is far stronger than what came before. But it still gets the prize of 'worst of the best' from me. Despite growing up on Roswell, I'm not a big fan of Jason Behr as an actor, though his one redeeming scene as Ford was when he told Buffy why he wanted to be a vampire. Unlike most of you, I did not enjoy the Angel/Willow interactions, nor the way they went behind Buffy's back. If there is one other redeeming fact, one I tend to forget most times unfortunately, it is that this is the episode where Angel tells Buffy about what he did to Dru.
15. Killed by Death. The only reason this won out over 16 is because of how impressed I still am over Xander standing up to Angelus in the hospital. That scene may be the very reason why I've never truly been able to despise his character, though I've come close from time to time in later seasons.
14. I Only Have Eyes for You. I enjoy a good ghost story and for a show about the supernatural, BtVS has very little of that. I also really like the message Giles was trying to get across, about forgiveness. Something that would prove one of the biggest themes of the entire rest of the show. I also very much enjoy the actor (whose name I've forgotten) who plays the young student having the affair with his teacher. Angelus' disgust over being forced to feel love is also very telling about his character, for me.
13. Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered. This loses a bit in Xander, a character that has proven to grow and mature so much since The Pack, doing a love spell. But other than that, it's another stellar episode, from Dru's interaction with Xander, Giles chewing Xander out, Oz finding naked!Buffy, and, of course, the way everyone comes on to our favorite male Scooby. Fun in a time where fun technically had no place.
12. The Dark Age. I still remember learning that there was more to Giles than what he showed, with a glimpse of that in Halloween, and for that it deserves this spot. His past is dark and believable for his character, Ethan Rayne is a delicious sorta-villain, and Willow shows her smarts. Top notch episode.
11. Ted. I'm definitely one of the people who loves this episode. John Ritter was an amazing actor and seeing this usually fatherly-type playing someone as devious and cruel as Ted was just fantastic. And let's not forget the montage after Buffy thinks she's taken a human life, such an important moment for her and for the viewers and for the rest of the show and its themes.
10. Phases. Last episode before it gets really hard for me. One of the only Oz-centric (sorta) episodes and it's wonderful. I've always been charmed by his character and this episode is definitely part of it, getting to see where he's coming from, what his choices make of him, and just how much he cares for Willow. I love that last line. "A werewolf in love."
9. What's My Line? Part I. I remember the utter shock of the cliffhanger; another Slayer? Wtf? That can't be right? It was completely unexpected and did what it was supposed to, left you reeling until the next week. I also really like the Order of Taraka, they open up so many possibilities, and yet I'm okay with never seeing them again past this two-parter. The red herring of Kendra was also very nice, and is amusing to watch in hindsight.
8. What's My Line? Part II. One of my favorite BtVS pairings is Xander/Cordelia, so this one gets this spot, partly, for being the real beginning of that relationship. The final fight in the church is another reason. "I'd rather be fighting you anyway." "Mutual." I always enjoyed Kendra, as a character, despite the atrocious accent, and the final reveal that Dru is fully healed and strong was great at the time of its release.
7. Surprise. Most of this episode was setting up the next one and, unfortunately, it's felt. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have its strong points. Discovering Jenny's secret was definitely surprising, our first glimpse at Buffy having a Slayer dream since the pilot was also nice. I'm a little put off by the cheesy, overly dramatic and emotional Bangel moments, but I can forgive them knowing what they were leading to. One of my favorite parts of this episode is Cordelia jumping out and yelling happy birthday, so funny.
6. Becoming, Part I. For similar reasons as 7, though this is slightly easier to see as a standalone than Surprise. I do enjoy the flashbacks, mostly because I've always preferred pre-show Angelus to S2 Angelus. Having Kendra back was very nice, despite how it ended for her, and getting to see Dru fight, the only time we do on BtVS, was awesome.
5. Halloween. Now we're getting to the crux, the top 5. This episode is definitely, for me, one of the most iconic in the whole series. From the 'careful what you wish for' theme, to the glimpse of what we would later come to see as Ripper, to Willow's character growth and Cordelia realizing that maybe there is more to Xander than she originally thought. All around wonderful episode with great quotes throughout.
4. Innocence. The unthinkable has happened; Angel is evil! The first time you watch this (if you are unspoiled by tumblr and the media) it has the exact shock value that it deserves. The writing is fantastic and the acting even more so, especially when keeping in mind that DB's performance as Angelus is why we got a spin-off in the first place. I may not be Angel's biggest fan (in BtVS) but I freaking love Angelus! Buffy's confrontation with Jenny is another highlight, but then most of the episode is for me.
3. School Hard. As has been mentioned in the past, this is almost like a second pilot for the show, and not just because I'm a Spike fan. This is the episode where S2 steps up its game, we are introduced to the first truly intriguing villains of the entire show, and all the characters (mostly) get to show themselves in a different light, including Angel, Buffy, Giles, Snyder, Xander, and even, to an extend, Joyce. It's one I tend to rewatch more than most of S2, it's quotable, funny, dark in places and very well-written. And yay for the title being derived from one of my favorite movies, Die Hard :D
2. Passion. This one never fails to make me quietly cry to myself. I happened to love Jenny, from IRYJ and on, and losing her was awful. At the same time, it was perfect, because it was Whedon's way of letting us know, no one is safe. Angel isn't just going to parade around in leather pants for a while and then get his soul back, it's not that simple. And I loved that message. The entire monologue from Angelus about passion only adds to the awesomeness and iconic state of this stellar episode.
1. Becoming, Part II. How was it anything else? If I'm not a fan of first episodes of seasons, then the opposite is true for season enders; I usually love them more than the rest of the season. This one has everything and yet doesn't feel too packed. Backstory on both Angel and Buffy, the confrontation with Buffy and Whistler, Spike and Buffy's truce, Joyce discovering the truth about her daughter and dealing with it in a very raw but realistic manner. Xander's betrayal, which is also in character, growth on the part of Cordelia's character, torture scenes with Giles, and a final, epic, battle between two former lovers. As soon as the first notes of Sarah McLachlan's Full of Grace begin, I'm sobbing like a little baby and I don't stop until the final credits roll. The best episode of this season, and one of the best of the entire series, hands down!

Phew, sorry for the rant, guys. But, since S2 is not my favorite season, I've a feeling it'll only get worse from here, lol.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Holy crap, here we go again. If my S1 ranking took up a lot of space, well...damn.

22. Reptile Boy. The only redeeming scene in this episode, for me, is Willow's breakdown with Angel and Giles, a hint at what was to come for her character maturity and evolvement. The rest was a mess, from the lousy penis-looking monster, to Cordelia's over-the-top self-absorbed personality, to Buffy justifying her lies, to the cardboard human villains. I don't skip it in rewatches, but it's a close call each time.
21. Go Fish. Only takes this spot because it has more than 1 redeeming moment; Xander in speedo (who doesn't love that hah!), Cordelia showing some depth when she thinks her boyfriend has been transformed into a fish monster, and Snyder being his regular asshole self. The rest, as they say, is a ****ing mess.
20. Some Assembly Required. As someone else mentioned, the beginning of S2 felt like they were still trying to find their footing, so some episodes felt like they belonged in S1; this was one of them. Which doesn't mean it was bad, but considering how good most of the rest of the season was, well...there you go.
19. Inca Mummy Girl. While it is a bit of an anvil, I do sorta enjoy the similarities they point to between Buffy and Impata. But my favorite parts of this otherwise 'meh' episode are definitely the interactions of Oz and Willow though, of course, not with each other, not yet. Oz's exchange with Devon is adorable and Willow's costume fits her character so well. It was also nice to see Jonathan again :)
18. Bad Eggs. Not a fan of the Gorch brothers, seem pretty silly as far as villains go, and the episode isn't help by the equal silliness of the Mother Bezoar. The eggs are a little better, but not by much. What saves this episode, for me, is the character interactions. Buffy and Xander being the only unaffected ones was very interesting to me; the all-powerful Slayer and the weakest member of her Scooby Gang. Or so we thought...
17. When She Was Bad. I mentioned in my S1 ranking that I usually don't like pilots, and the same is usually true for the first episodes of a new season. It is no less true here. The only reason this one isn't 22 is because of the weaker episodes that S2 had. I found Buffy's angsty storyline slightly exaggerated and dealt with far too quickly. Definitely shoulda been a 2-parter, imo.
16. Lie to Me.
Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad episode, we are now moving into the rest of the list which is far stronger than what came before. But it still gets the prize of 'worst of the best' from me. Despite growing up on Roswell, I'm not a big fan of Jason Behr as an actor, though his one redeeming scene as Ford was when he told Buffy why he wanted to be a vampire. Unlike most of you, I did not enjoy the Angel/Willow interactions, nor the way they went behind Buffy's back. If there is one other redeeming fact, one I tend to forget most times unfortunately, it is that this is the episode where Angel tells Buffy about what he did to Dru.
15. Killed by Death. The only reason this won out over 16 is because of how impressed I still am over Xander standing up to Angelus in the hospital. That scene may be the very reason why I've never truly been able to despise his character, though I've come close from time to time in later seasons.
14. I Only Have Eyes for You. I enjoy a good ghost story and for a show about the supernatural, BtVS has very little of that. I also really like the message Giles was trying to get across, about forgiveness. Something that would prove one of the biggest themes of the entire rest of the show. I also very much enjoy the actor (whose name I've forgotten) who plays the young student having the affair with his teacher. Angelus' disgust over being forced to feel love is also very telling about his character, for me.
13. Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered. This loses a bit in Xander, a character that has proven to grow and mature so much since The Pack, doing a love spell. But other than that, it's another stellar episode, from Dru's interaction with Xander, Giles chewing Xander out, Oz finding naked!Buffy, and, of course, the way everyone comes on to our favorite male Scooby. Fun in a time where fun technically had no place.
12. The Dark Age. I still remember learning that there was more to Giles than what he showed, with a glimpse of that in Halloween, and for that it deserves this spot. His past is dark and believable for his character, Ethan Rayne is a delicious sorta-villain, and Willow shows her smarts. Top notch episode.
11. Ted. I'm definitely one of the people who loves this episode. John Ritter was an amazing actor and seeing this usually fatherly-type playing someone as devious and cruel as Ted was just fantastic. And let's not forget the montage after Buffy thinks she's taken a human life, such an important moment for her and for the viewers and for the rest of the show and its themes.
10. Phases. Last episode before it gets really hard for me. One of the only Oz-centric (sorta) episodes and it's wonderful. I've always been charmed by his character and this episode is definitely part of it, getting to see where he's coming from, what his choices make of him, and just how much he cares for Willow. I love that last line. "A werewolf in love."
9. What's My Line? Part I. I remember the utter shock of the cliffhanger; another Slayer? Wtf? That can't be right? It was completely unexpected and did what it was supposed to, left you reeling until the next week. I also really like the Order of Taraka, they open up so many possibilities, and yet I'm okay with never seeing them again past this two-parter. The red herring of Kendra was also very nice, and is amusing to watch in hindsight.
8. What's My Line? Part II. One of my favorite BtVS pairings is Xander/Cordelia, so this one gets this spot, partly, for being the real beginning of that relationship. The final fight in the church is another reason. "I'd rather be fighting you anyway." "Mutual." I always enjoyed Kendra, as a character, despite the atrocious accent, and the final reveal that Dru is fully healed and strong was great at the time of its release.
7. Surprise. Most of this episode was setting up the next one and, unfortunately, it's felt. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have its strong points. Discovering Jenny's secret was definitely surprising, our first glimpse at Buffy having a Slayer dream since the pilot was also nice. I'm a little put off by the cheesy, overly dramatic and emotional Bangel moments, but I can forgive them knowing what they were leading to. One of my favorite parts of this episode is Cordelia jumping out and yelling happy birthday, so funny.
6. Becoming, Part I. For similar reasons as 7, though this is slightly easier to see as a standalone than Surprise. I do enjoy the flashbacks, mostly because I've always preferred pre-show Angelus to S2 Angelus. Having Kendra back was very nice, despite how it ended for her, and getting to see Dru fight, the only time we do on BtVS, was awesome.
5. Halloween. Now we're getting to the crux, the top 5. This episode is definitely, for me, one of the most iconic in the whole series. From the 'careful what you wish for' theme, to the glimpse of what we would later come to see as Ripper, to Willow's character growth and Cordelia realizing that maybe there is more to Xander than she originally thought. All around wonderful episode with great quotes throughout.
4. Innocence. The unthinkable has happened; Angel is evil! The first time you watch this (if you are unspoiled by tumblr and the media) it has the exact shock value that it deserves. The writing is fantastic and the acting even more so, especially when keeping in mind that DB's performance as Angelus is why we got a spin-off in the first place. I may not be Angel's biggest fan (in BtVS) but I freaking love Angelus! Buffy's confrontation with Jenny is another highlight, but then most of the episode is for me.
3. School Hard. As has been mentioned in the past, this is almost like a second pilot for the show, and not just because I'm a Spike fan. This is the episode where S2 steps up its game, we are introduced to the first truly intriguing villains of the entire show, and all the characters (mostly) get to show themselves in a different light, including Angel, Buffy, Giles, Snyder, Xander, and even, to an extend, Joyce. It's one I tend to rewatch more than most of S2, it's quotable, funny, dark in places and very well-written. And yay for the title being derived from one of my favorite movies, Die Hard :D
2. Passion. This one never fails to make me quietly cry to myself. I happened to love Jenny, from IRYJ and on, and losing her was awful. At the same time, it was perfect, because it was Whedon's way of letting us know, no one is safe. Angel isn't just going to parade around in leather pants for a while and then get his soul back, it's not that simple. And I loved that message. The entire monologue from Angelus about passion only adds to the awesomeness and iconic state of this stellar episode.
1. Becoming, Part II. How was it anything else? If I'm not a fan of first episodes of seasons, then the opposite is true for season enders; I usually love them more than the rest of the season. This one has everything and yet doesn't feel too packed. Backstory on both Angel and Buffy, the confrontation with Buffy and Whistler, Spike and Buffy's truce, Joyce discovering the truth about her daughter and dealing with it in a very raw but realistic manner. Xander's betrayal, which is also in character, growth on the part of Cordelia's character, torture scenes with Giles, and a final, epic, battle between two former lovers. As soon as the first notes of Sarah McLachlan's Full of Grace begin, I'm sobbing like a little baby and I don't stop until the final credits roll. The best episode of this season, and one of the best of the entire series, hands down!

Phew, sorry for the rant, guys. But, since S2 is not my favorite season, I've a feeling it'll only get worse from here, lol.

Interesting idea about it being a 2-parter. I think the episode works well, but I can see why you think that. Because there was no supernatural element to the main plot, and Buffy's feelings were kept hidden it might have been difficult to sustain it for two episodes.

L

Living Dead Boy

22. Go Fish
21. Inca Mummy Girl
20. Killed By Death
19. Bad Eggs
18. Some Assembly Required
17. Reptile Boy
16. When She Was Bad
15. The Dark Age
14. Phases
13. What's My Line? Part 1
12. What's My Line? Part 2
11. Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered
10. Ted
9. Surprise
8. I Only Have Eyes For You
7. Halloween
6. School Hard
5. Innocence
4. Lie To Me
3. Becoming Part 1
2. Becoming Part 2
1. Passion (From beginning to end, a masterpiece in every possible way.)

Top Bottom