• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Ranking Buffyverse Comics Seasons

WhyCantiStay

Please, Wesley...
I've been wondering about this recently! Going into Season 12 here soon, looking back at all the confirmed canon comics (seasons, mainly), how would you guys rank the comics, best to worst? Personally, I'd go with:

1. Angel & Faith Season 9
  2. Buffy Season 10
  3. Angel(/Spike): After the Fall
  4. Buffy Season 8
  5. Buffy Season 11
  6. Buffy Season 9
  7. Spike (IDW)
  8. Willow: Wonderland
  9. Angel & Faith Season 10
  10. Spike: A Dark Place
  11. Angel Season 11

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
1. Buffy season 11
2. Angel and Faith season 9
3. Buffy season 8
4. Buffy season 9
5. Willow: Wonderland
6. Buffy season 10
7. Angel and Faith season 10
8. Angel: After the Fall
9. Spike: A Dark Place
10. Angel season 11

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I haven't finished AtF or read some of the minis, but I would rank them as:

1) Angel & Faith Season 9
2) Buffy Season 8
3) Angel & Faith Season 10
4) Buffy Season 11
5) Buffy Season 10
6) Buffy Season 9
7) Angel Season 11

Fool for Buffy

Sineya
2) Buffy Season 8
Do you like the Twilight arc? I think it's okay, not great. But I think some Bangel fans despise it and judge season 8 based on it. Regardless of your answer, I'm glad you ranked season 8 this high because I think it has a lot of strong moments whether you like Twilight or not.

WhyCantiStay

Please, Wesley...
Do you like the Twilight arc? I think it's okay, not great. But I think some Bangel fans despise it and judge season 8 based on it. Regardless of your answer, I'm glad you ranked season 8 this high because I think it has a lot of strong moments whether you like Twilight or not.
Personally, I LOVE the first half of Season 8, but it goes downhill a good bit in the second half.

I'm glad we all hate Angel Season 11. LOL! Can we just agree to erase it from canon? It can have seat next to Spike: Into the Light and Angel: Aftermath.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I am not a fan of the Twilight arc, but I enjoyed most of the earlier arcs, and I adore The Chain and Commitment Through Distance, Virtue Through Sin, so Season 8 stands out for me. And reading it did feel like an experience in the way that other seasons haven't really had (which is both good and bad).

Fool for Buffy

Sineya
Personally, I LOVE the first half of Season 8, but it goes downhill a good bit in the second half.

I'm glad we all hate Angel Season 11. LOL! Can we just agree to erase it from canon? It can have seat next to Spike: Into the Light and Angel: Aftermath.
I'm right with you; the first half of season 8 is really great. And I actually think the ending is strong, especially Spike's appearance and the killing of Giles mirrored with Jenny, just everything building up to the ending is weak and annoys me.

And yes, we can throw away Angel season 11. And tear the page with the Angellyria kiss into tiny pieces.

Mrs Gordo

And then she comes along...
Black Thorn
Crap forgot ATF. It’s probably better than s8 for me only because of how it respects Angel’s character and show better than BtVS s8.

I’m glad to see the A&F S9 love. It really is the one thing I have enjoyed most about the entire comics run.

Really anything other than a&f s9, atf and BtVS s8 I’ll probably never read again. It was pretty disappointing for me from there.

Okay, I'm going to consider 'Spike' to be Lynch's "saga": Asylum>Shadow Puppets>After The Fall>Spike. Also, I couldn't finish A&FS10 or AS11, so those probably go down at the bottom, and I can't include mini-series' like A Dark Place, Willow, or Fray, because there's just so few issues. I'm in the middle of a rewatch/read too, so these opinions might change.

1. Angel: After The Fall
2. Angel & Faith: Season 9
3. Spike
4. Buffy: Season 8 (if I could split this in half, the first part would be #1 and the second would be below S10)
5. Buffy: Season 10
6. Buffy: Season 9
7. Buffy: Season 11

Taake

Not a witch
Staff member
Black Thorn
Poor Angel season 11, haha, seems to be pretty universally disliked.

Angel and Faith season 9 however, it's the one I always keep thinking I'll read if I find it on sale, but I always miss the sales!

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
BtVS S8, AtF and the new Giles comic are all equally horrible.

The rest are all right. I quite like the Willow stand alones.

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
I'm not surprised you disliked AtF as you don't like AtS but I am surprised by your dislike of BtVS s8. Willow got some good stuff to do there and then Spike gets to come in at the end and act like the big ass hero. I'd think you'd be equally excited to see everyone hate Angel at the end of the season's run :p. 'Splainy your self.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
What didn't you like about After The Fall?
I hated all of it. They turned to ridiculousness up to 11 and lost all the characters.
I'm not surprised you disliked AtF as you don't like AtS but I am surprised by your dislike of BtVS s8. Willow got some good stuff to do there and then Spike gets to come in at the end and act like the big ass hero. I'd think you'd be equally excited to see everyone hate Angel at the end of the season's run :p. 'Splainy your self.
Hey, I think you're being very unfair their, Mister! First of all, I don't hate AtS. I find the TV show a sometimes frustrating watch, but when it is good it is really good and it was really good when it ended. AtF is just a mess of weirdness. There is no weight to Angel's heroism. He is supposedly human, but he can still kill massive monsters without breaking a sweat.

Willow in S8 is so boring. She is like Wicca Beyonce. She just floats around and throws energy balls. On the TV show, Willow's heroism always cost her. She lacked Buffy's super strength and natural bravery. It used to be fun to see her step up and do something crazy.

The Angel being Twilight thing was mildly funny, but not enough to build an entire season on. S8 really lost the plot. It was no longer an allegory for real life. All that stuff with Dawn..

Spike's role made sense, I think. He is the jealous underdog, so of course he would smell a rat. I am not sure he was the great hero of the piece, though. I wouldn't be happy if he was. He becomes less sympathetic if the story builds him up too much.

As for everyone hating Angel... I am usually Team Angel, except in Sanctuary, and when he is grumpy with Cordelia, shouts at Harmony ... and maybe a few other places, but mostly I like him. If I am gonna take pleasure in hating him, at least let him make mistakes that makes sense to his character.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
No. No fist bump for you. Tricky tricky.

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
I am not sure he was the great hero of the piece, though.
He comes in at the right moment with a giant convenient spaceship. It's pretty heroic especially in contrast to the giant mess that Twilight!Angel has made, even if it is played a little campy for laughs (the bugs).

If I am gonna take pleasure in hating him, at least let him make mistakes that makes sense to his character.
I'll fist bump to that.

WillowFromBuffy
WillowFromBuffy
Angel-can-be-a-mean-old-man-all-by-himself fist bump!

WhyCantiStay

Please, Wesley...

The rest are all right. I quite like the Willow stand alones.
I have to disagree! Season 8 had some awesome stuff, and I thought After the Fall was pretty great besides the art being inconsistent. Giles seems meh so far, but I'm hoping it'll get better! I think they're three very different quality levels. But I find it interesting that you think so!

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I have to disagree! Season 8 had some awesome stuff, and I thought After the Fall was pretty great besides the art being inconsistent. Giles seems meh so far, but I'm hoping it'll get better! I think they're three very different quality levels. But I find it interesting that you think so!
Plus, @WillowFromBuffy, Season 8 had Harmony and you love Harmony. So can it really be equal to AtF or the Giles mini in badness? :p

7. Buffy: Season 11
If you don't mind me asking, why do you rank Buffy Season 11 so low?

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
Plus, @WillowFromBuffy, Season 8 had Harmony and you love Harmony. So can it really be equal to AtF or the Giles mini in badness? :p
The comics ruined Harmony. She went from Ally McBeal to Kim Kardashian. She was one of the most interesting vampires, because she had to live like a human.

I am determined to be displeased.

Top Bottom