1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the Buffyverse Seasons

Discussion in 'Game Archive' started by Carrie Hopewell, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    How would you rate the individual seasons of the shows and the shows overall?

IMDB gives Buffy an 8.2/10 rating and Angel an 8.0/10. Rotten Tomatoes gives Buffy a 89% score and Angel isn't rated at all. (Tbh though, I don't know if Rotten Tomatoes is known for its TV reviews...).

Angel

Season 1: 9/10
    People say this season lacks an arc but it doesn't need one. S1 is a lot like a detective show so every episode is enough by itself. This is the most enjoyable season and has the best ambiance: it explores themes like redemption/guilt/free will/meaning of life expertly; offers some of the best episodes of the show; W&H, the police and Cordy's acting make the universe feel very human; the members of the A.I team are like old friends; Angel has some great development; etc.
    Season 2: 9.5/10
    The Pylea Arc made me drop the show for weeks the first time I watched it, so I'm going to 'pretend' the season ends in Epiphany. I love Angel's arc. It's so interesting and layered, and the way I see it, mostly about identity: Angelus (as represented by Darla) vs. Angel, Angel's depression (by itself a loss of identity), cynicism vs. hope (Reprise/Epiphany). Dangel stopped making sense after the first watch, but despite its considerable flaws, it's the best Whedonverse season imo.
    Season 3: 6/10
    Going by my personal feelings on this season, I'd give it a 4. I love Wesley's arc, Weslah, Connor, Lullaby, Loyalty/Sleep Tight/Forgiving, A New World and that's it. After Couplet, S3 is a 7.5 and before mostly a 4. I violently dislike over excited toddler Angel. Mommy Cordelia is also bad and all those love triangles are terrible.
    Season 4: 8.5/10
    This season is very rich and capable of some excellent writing and powerful scenes. However, Cordelia drags everything down, as does the cheesy writing of Angelus and the romance, with the notable exception of Weslah.
    Season 5: 8/10.
    Linage/You're Welcome/Smile Time/AHITW/Shells/Underneath/Origin/Time Bomb/NFA are great to excellent episodes, but every thing else is either average/boring or terrible. The only arc S5 has is Illyria/Wesley's; the writers don't seem to know what they're doing 60% of the time; Spike/Angel is a bore; Angel has virtually no interesting episodes dedicated to his character apart from Origin and NFA and is uninteresting in general; etc. This season is saved by the sheer brilliance of a half of a dozen episodes.

Overall score: 9/10

This show is the most complex and thought provoking show I've ever seen and I excuse a lot of its flaws and bad episodes/storylines. It truly rocked my world. Other shows might be as complex but they didn't engage me like this one.

Buffy

Season 1: 7.5/10
    Fun season, I love to watch it. The Scoobies are great, their friendships are great and their repartee is great.
    Season 2: 9/10
    I like a lot of the MOTW episodes that people dislike and love the Angelus arc. The writers developed Bangel successfully and pulled a lot of plot twists on the audience. S2 has a good balance of excitement, fun and angst.
    Season 3: 8.5/10
    I don't enjoy this season as a whole as much as other fans do. The beginning is quite slow, Willow/Xander was a mistake, Faith doesn't do anything for me and there are tons of great episodes, yet few excellent ones. Still, it's a great season.
    Season 4: 6/10
    I only watched this season once so my opinion might change. I thought it was a disappointment after S3. However, I know this season has lots of fun episodes and I'd probably enjoy it a lot more if I were to watch it now.
    Season 5: 6/10
    Watched this season very recently so I'm confident in my assessment of it. Don't get why people love it so much. I find it dull and irritating. Love The Body/Forever though.
    Season 6: 7/10
    I find it more exciting than S5, but it's still a bit boring, especially Spuffy. I don't believe Buffy's depression was well written.
    Season 7: 6/10
    I've always loved Selfless and this season is fun and thrilling at points, but I have 0 patience for Spike and Buffy (as a ship and separately) and even episodes like CWDP and LMPTM don't impress me much.

Overall score:
    7/10

I'm one of those annoying fans who stopped really liking the show after the high school seasons. I've since come to terms with this fact. I enjoy discussing the later seasons with you guys, but not watching them.

Monkey Pants: I agree about the later seasons
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    BuffyBot22 and Fuffy Baith like this.
  2. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Buffy:

Season 1:
    6/10.
    Good premise and a good foundation for what's to come, and the dialogue is already pretty good ("I laugh in the face of danger! And then I hide until it goes away..."), and the finale is mostly great, but the characters are still flat stereotypes (the popular blonde, the computer nerd, the class clown, etc...), the acting is weak (except for ASH and Nicholas Brendon), the production values are HORRIBLE, the constant brownish color filter looks bad, the musical score is the WORST (seriously, it sounds like it came from 1980, not 1997), the villains mostly suck, and there are too many boring monster-of-the-week episodes (and the show still doesn't know how to pull off those episodes usccessfully). When I first watched the show, I gave up on it after 5-6 episodes, because it was so bland. Also, Buffy's hair in this is a travesty.

Season 2: 9/10.
    The first half of the season is still plagued by some of the season 1 problems, and there are WAY too many monster-of-the-week episodes, and the show still struggles with making those MotW episodes good (although it's better than season 1), but there are SO many positives to compensate: The characters start getting deeper (The shy computer nerd starts getting confident, the mean girl starts being less mean, the stuffy librarian gets more human, the popular blonde struggles with loneliness, etc), the production values are SIGNIFICANTLY better, the music is A MILLION TIMES BETTER (I'm not a Bangel guy, but the Bangel musical theme always gives me the feels), the main villains are suddenly AWESOME (Spike and Dru came into Sunnydale like a hurricane, and Angelus is still the most well-utilized Big Bad of the Buffyverse), the arc episodes are almost all fantastic ('School hard', 'Innocence', 'Passion', and 'Becoming' are some of the best episodes of the show), the story got a lot more serious (and in an EXTREMELY effective way) in the seconf half of the season, and Buffy's hair was SO MUCH BETTER (HAIR IS IMPORTANT, DAMMIT!). The season kinda "cheated", because it had a lot of pointless filler episodes and only had about 10 episodes that actually advanced the story, but the filler episodes were better than in season 1, and the small amount of arc episodes meant that almost every arc episode could be refined into a masterpiece, so I forgive it. This season hooked me on the show for life, and it turned Buffy into my favorite character ever.

Season 3: 8.5/10.
    As PoTN said - season 3 is an abundance of riches. It's absolutely PACKED with amazing elements. The only problem is that these elements don't really work together (certainly not as well as in season 2), and the season has ZERO focus. I love all the episodes in this season (the show finally learned how to do MotW episodes properly), but none of them is MINDBLOWING, the way the best episodes of season 2 were. I still think this season would have been much better if Angel was cut out of it and his screentime was given to Faith and The Mayor.

Season 4: 8/10.
    The season arc fell apart halfway through the season, but the writers seemed to notice this, and so they wisely gave us many fantastic MotW episodes instead (those MotW episodes, which were the weak link in seasons 1 & 2, were now the best part of the season), and they spent more time on the constantly-evolving character arcs. The season also got rid of the elements that didn't fully work in the previous seasons, and replaced them with elements that worked: Angel was replaced with Spike (thank god), Cordelia was replaced with Anya (I love Cordy, but after she broke up with Xander the show really didn't know how to keep her as part of the story), and Oz was replaced with Anya (Oz was a very entertaining comc-relief, and his relationship with Willow was sweet, but the guy had NO character arc. Tara was a much more dynamic, much more fleshed out character, and not just a love interest).

Season 5: 9.5/10.
    The closest the show ever came to creating a FLAWLESS season. Everything is just so POLISHED - the characters were getting more complex and interesting every episode, the production values took a huge jump, the show took a turn for the serious (and became much more moving as a result), the season did a fantastic job of making every episode both standalone AND part of the arc, and the best relationships of the Buffyverse were entering their best days - Spuffy, Xanya, and Tillow. Episodes like 'Fool For Love', 'The Body', and 'The Gift' made these characters more engaging than ever and approached deep philosophical and psychological issues in ways that no other show had attempted before. Also, the introduction of Dawn is on of the most clever things Joss Whedon had ever done. I could gush about this season for hours... At the end of season 5, I suddenly realized that these silly characters had become more important to me than any characters in any other story I've ever seen.

Season 6: 9.5/10.
    Season 5 is the most polished season, but season 6 (which is definitely flawed) is the season that resonates with me the most. It attempted to talk about things that always felt lacking for me in other stories, and as I watched it, I was constantly getting this sense of "Hey, this is literally about ME!" NO other season of any show had ever achieved that level of relatability for me. This is where the serious tone was more consistent and more extreme than ever,and my GOD did it work - the story just became so much more intense and moving. This season also solved the MotW-versus-arc-episodes issue in the best way possible - it had NO true Big Bad, and so every episode was a MotW episode...But the main arc of the season was about battling depression and other related issues of young adulthood, and it made sure to put the psychology of the main characters much more front-and-center in every episode, and therefore every MotW episode was also an arc episode at the same time. It worked beautifully. Also, the production values of the season were the best of the entire series (especially in the first half). The flaws? Willow's dark arc wasn't AS mindblowing as it should have been (it was still VERY good, overall), and the Dawn-centric episodes didn't really work (Dawn's season arc DID work, however), and the Spike scenes after 'Seeing Red' felt kinda detached, and 'Grave' suffered from being the only finale not directed by Joss.

Season 7: 8.5/10.
    Season 7 is messy... The first 9 episodes were absolutely fantastic. Then, episodes 10-15 were slow, clumsy, and unimpressive. Then, episodes 16-21 had to rush to fix the problems of the previous episodes and make the arc work. It was not without issues, but by 7x21 the problems were fully fixed, and in 7x22 the show was capable of delivering 'Chosen', which is one of the best series finales I've ever seen, and a perfect ending for the series. Some of the characters got smaller roles than I would have liked, but the show wisely kept the focus on Buffy herself, and her 7-year-long arc finally got the magnificent ending it deserved. Along the way, the season also gave us some of the best episodes ever, in 'Selfless', 'Conversations with Dead People', 'Lessons', 'Beneath You', 'Storyteller', 'Lies My Parents Told Me', 'Dirty Girls', and 'Touched'. After seven years of constant development, these characters were more deep and complex than ever, and the season took full advantage of it - in 7x19, for example, the image of Buffy holding an old picture of the scoobies together was enough to make me cry.

Season 8: 8.5/10.
    I wrote about it in length elsewhere... Long story short: The first half of season 8 is as good as any season of the show ever. The second half is kinda like 'Dollhouse' - the execution is flawed, but the story is so ambitious and daring and insightful that I can't help but love it anyway. And the main premise of the season, which is "Buffy in a comic-book world", is endlessly entertaining for me. Also, minor point - the scottish castle is just as good as the Library and the Magic Box, when it comes to being the scoobies' main base.

Season 9: 7/10.
    With barely any involvement from Joss, writer Andrew Chambliss failed in the most important task of any story - making me care. Luckily, he had great characters to play with, but he barely did anything TRULY interesting with them, other than in issues 1, 6, & 20.

Season 10: 8/10.
    Thankfully, Christos Gage was able to fix that mistake, and the story was once again very involving. Gage is not without his faults (namely, too much talking instead of showing, and a little too much generic-ness), but he did a great job of creating a consistently moving and entertaining story.

The 'Angel' seasons will come later...

GoSpuffy: I agree with pretty much everything except I like S7 a bit more than you. :)
  3. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    Buffy:
    S1 3/5
    S2 5/5
    S3 4/5
    S4 3/5
    S5 3/5
    S6 2/5
    S7 3/5
    Overall: It's average

Angel:
    S1 4/5
    S2 4/5
    S3 3/5
    S4 3/5
    S5 2/5
    Overall: It's average

4. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    Buffy:
    S1: 8/10
    S2: 9.5/10
    S3: 9.8/10
    S4: 7.5/10
    S5: 7/10
    S6: 5/10
    S7: 5/10

Angel: (I haven't watched the full seasons for a while, so after re-watching things might change, but for now)
    S1: 7/1o
    S2: 7/10
    S3: 7.5/10
    S4: 7.5/10
    S5: 8.5/10

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  5. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

Buffy
    S1 - 6/10 - Some great episodes and was good enough to keep me watching
    S2 - 7/10 - Spike and Dru kicked this season up a gear, and I loved the ending
    S3 - 9/10 - So many great episodes, Faith, The Mayor, end of an era, excellent season
    S4 - 7/10 - Great to see Spike back, loved the College setting, but Riley, Maggie and the Initiatvie let this season down
    S5 - 8/10 - Didn't love Dawn yet, not a fan of Glory, but loved Spike
    S6 - 9/10 - The most interesting season, massive character growth/decline
    S7 - 8/10 - Like S4 I think it suffered from the greatness of the previous season, but still some great episodes and I loved the ending
    S8 - 6/10 - Overblown, but some great stories, though I missed Spike and hated the Twilight sex
    S9 - 7/10 - Loved this early on, but it couldn't keep the quality
    S10 - 8/10 - Far more interesting, liked Angel in this, loved the Spuffyness

I'm just not objective enough for this because I love all of this show

GoSpuffy likes this.
  6. TheComeBackKid

TheComeBackKid Townie

Buffy:

Season 1:
    5/10

Very bland season with a few cheesy and awful episodes such as 'I robot, you Jane' and 'Teacher's Pet'. The Big bad (The Master) was an okay villain, however the writers really had no where to go with him until the finale. However their were a few good episodes, mainly 'Prophecy Girl' and 'Angel'

Season 2:
    8.5/10
    Season 2 was where the show really took off. The characters undergo much needed development and it had some of the best, emotional and most powerful episodes of the series, such as 'Innocence', 'Passion' and 'Becoming Part 2'. The Big Bad's were great. Spike & Dru were entertaining, something The Master lacked, plus they were near flawless villains who were an integral part of the story line. However the big shine through in my opinion was Angelus. He is what a villain should be, creepy, ambitious, entertaining and downright cruel. In my opinion he was the Best Big Bad of the series. Although there were many positives to Season 2, there were a couple of flaws, mainly that some of the problems in the first season still continued into the second season, especially the first half. Episodes such as 'Reptile Boy', 'Go Fish' and 'Some Assembly Required' were still cheesy, bland and didn't contribute much to the story.

Season 3:
    9/10.
    Season 3 in my opinion was the most consistent season in the entire series, and had many elements that made it an awesome season. Firstly, there were far less episodes that were bland and cheesy, which was a problem through out Season 1 and some parts of Season 2. The Monsters of the week were also less cheesy and more appealing villains in contrast to the previous two seasons. The Mayor (the big bad) was also an entertaining villain. His personality is so odd that I can't help but love the guy. All in all, what makes the Mayor great is that he's very human and jolly while managing to be completely evil at the same time. However, one little downside to the Mayor is that we fail to see any development or variation to his character. The introduction of Faith was also very good, as it added new direction and a breath of fresh air to the series. Characters such as Buffy and Willow also experience further development. A couple of limitations to his season is that there is a reduction in emotion and pain that Season 2 delivered brilliantly and Angel's return and re-connection with Buffy. I think that if you were to mix the strengths of 2 & 3 together, you would get a near perfect season.

Season 4:
    7/10
    The real strength to this season is that it had some of the best monster of the week episodes of the series, especially 'Hush' which I think is one of the creepiest and magnificent episodes of the series. This season also introduced many new characters that actually worked with the story arc, such as Anya, Tara and Spike, which is another element that added to the quality of the season. However this season had the worst Big Bad in the series. Adam was a complete bore, didn't serve much of a purpose and didn't really contribute to any development of the main characters. Another flaw to this season is that the story arc was not as solid as Season 2 or 3.

Season 5:
    9.5/10
    Arguably the best season in the entire series. Season 5 had consistency that rivaled Season 3, introduced serious development to characters and contained the two best episodes in the entire show in my opinion. To me Season 5 contained all the strengths of Season 3, however it also contained the emotion, danger and pain that it lacked compared to Season 2. 'The Gift' was by far the best finale episode in my opinion, it tackled the themes brilliantly as well as working with the story arc exceptionally well. 'The Body' is also another reason why this season is so great, because it delivers the powerful punch of emotion that episodes in Season 3 lacked and honestly is one of the best episodes of television I have ever seen. The Big Bad was also brilliant in this season. Glory was the first villain that really dwarfed Buffy in power and because of this, she provided a constant and unyielding sense of dread that only Angelus could top. On top of that, she was hilarious to watch and contributed significantly to the development of the Scoobies, especially Willow's lust for vengeance. The only let down to this season was the Knights of Byzantium and a couple of sloppy episodes.

Season 6:
    8.5/10.

Season 6 was the season that I connected with the most. Buffy's depression and psychological problems really hit me hard, because I've been there. I also love how Joss brilliantly exploited Willow's addiction to magic to symbolize drug addiction, as many people I know have experienced the same problem. The development Spike and Willow experience is also a huge highlight this season. Willow's lust for power is brilliant and her transition into Dark Willow is one of the most epic moments of the show. Spike's lust for Buffy was also brilliant and entertaining to watch. Season 6 also had the best monster of the week episode in the entire show. 'Once More With Feeling' is a masterpiece and a work of art. Although Season 6 was a solid season, there were a few problems. The first was The Trio. With the exception of Warren, I honestly don't understand why they did what they did. I mean Jonathon was saved by Buffy numerous times and he acknowledged her heroism, yet he wanted to kill her. Just seemed out of character to me. The second was that it had the worst season finale episode in the entire series, as it was very underwhelming compared to episodes such as 'Graduation Day part 2' and 'The Gift'. The last little thing was that there were more cheesy and bland episodes (such as 'Double Meat Palace') than the previous three seasons.

Season 7:
    6.5/10
    Season 7 was very messy and all over the place. It started off quite solid but by Episode 9-10, the arc really fell apart. This continued until Caleb & Faith's arrival. After that, the arc was fixed and became solid again. It's like the Serial Position Effect, the first and last bits of the season were memorable and brilliant, but it was lacking in the middle section. The Big Bad was a huge disappointment. While not as tedious as Adam, The First was a brilliant idea but poorly executed. I would have expected the source of all evil in the Buffyverse to at least pose more of a physical threat than even the likes of Glory, yet is poses less than The Trio! Instead it sat there and gave lame manipulative speeches that anyone can break without a sweat. The saving grace to this was the arrival of Caleb, who was a entertaining and cruel villain. Overall a mediocre season.

Fuffy Baith and Ethan Reigns like this.
  7. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Angel:

Season 1: 7/10.
    The "Batman with fangs" premise never worked for me, at all. Angel himself has never been so boring - and he's usually pretty boring already. It's like season 6 of Buffy in that it focuses on character instead of plot, but season 6 pulled it off because it actually had DEEP, MEANINGFUL, NON-BANAL things to say about those characters. Season 1 of 'Angel', though? It's just the basic "family is important" origin story, but with a lot of unnecessary seriousness and pretentiousness. Meh to the extreme. On the plus side, though - most of the crossovers were really good (and there were many of them, thank god), and the supporting cast was mostly great (well, except for Kate), and the 'Wolfram & Hart' idea was inspired (although they didn't do anything interesting with it for 95% of this season).

Season 2: 8/10.
    I love the IDEA of the main arc, but the execution was often too on-the-nose and preachy and melodramatic. And apparently the writers felt so too, because they decided to wrap it up early (in episode 16, 'Epiphany'), and spend the rest of the season doing small, fun stories. Thankfully, these fun stories worked quite well. Still, the season is very messy, and the first time I watched it the finale felt extremely anti-climactic. On the plus slide, the show was slowly moving away from the 'Batman with fangs' premise, by becoming richer, more diverse in tone, and more Buffy-like (Lorne, 'Guise will be Guise', Harmony, Drusilla, Fred, etc... a lot of elements that wouldn't feel at home in the Batman-y world of season 1). Also, the show FINALLY started really exploiting the concept of Wolfram & Hart, as Lindsey, Lilah and Holland finally got to take center-stage and shine as villains.

Season 3: 7.5/10.
    Remember how Wolfram and Hart were really awesome in the last season? Well, better forget about it, because Lindsey and Holland were replaced by the blandest characters imaginable, and Lilah really struggled to make W&H interesting by her lonesome. On the plus side, the OTHER villains were pretty good - Holtz was sympathetic, and Sahjahn was fun. Also, the addition of the great Fred solidified the AI team, and the rest of the characters were starting to become pretty complicated by now, which is always good. Overall this season is like a weaker version of season 3 of Buffy - all of the episodes are solid (well, most of the episodes), but none of them really stand out. Every flaw had a positive quality to balance it out: The love triangle stuff was dragged out, but Fred was great and Wesley had a good arc. Connor was lame, but Darla and Holtz and Wesley had interesting stories built around him. Angel was boring again because he had no real conflict for most of the season, but at least the Batman vibe was less prominent. And so on...

Season 4: 7.5/10.
    This is a really schizophrenic season - parts of it are the worst parts of the Buffyverse, and deserve a 0/10, but other parts are incredibly awesome. It's the season that completely ruined the great character of Cordelia, but it's also the first season that had a real thematic throughline, from the first episode to the last. I hate all of the Cordy stuff and most of the Connor stuff, but I love most of the Wesley stuff and all of the Faith stuff. Lilah finally took control of W&H, and finally made W&H great again (heh), but then she was killed off idiotically halfway through the season and W&H went up in smoke. Fred was a useless tool for a love triangle for most of the season, but the last 5 episodes gave her an actual leading role for a while, as she deserved. The Beast was an awesome villain, and Jasmine was a decent villain, but Angelus was very disappointing and evil-Cordy was terrible. It's very hard to rate this season.

Season 5: 9.5/10.
    Ah, finally. As 'Buffy' ended, Joss finally took the reins of 'Angel', and the result was spectacular. The terrible "Batman with fangs" premise was finally fixed, as it became "Batman with fangs... if he sold out". The new base at W&H was endlessly entertaining and fascinating, as our heroes were struggling to fight against corruption every single episode. Spike and Harmony made wonderful additions to the cast, making the whole thing feel heartwarmingly Buffy-like. I could go on, but other people have done so already. I have problems with finale, and there are 4 or 5 weak episodes, but the vast majority of this season is absolutely brilliant.

Angel: After the Fall: 7.5/10.
    The problem here is that most of the characters arcs are just a reboot and repeat of their season 5 arcs: Angel once again starts as a pawn of W&H and rediscovers his willpower and pupose over the course of the season. Gunn once again thinks he's not playing into W&H's hands when he really is, Illyria once again has to connect to humanity, Wesley once again struggles with depression and accepts his death for the good fight, Connor once again starts estranged from Angel and grows closer to him, Spike once again starts by bickering endlessly with Angel and learns to get along with him slowly. The whole thing is redundant. On the plus side, I did really love season 5, and the writers cleverly hide this repetition with a lot of new plot elements, and do a really good job of giving the ILLUSION of progress, and there's at least a lot of pretty fun dialogue (although Bryan Lynch writes almost all of the characters as if they're Spike).

Angel & Faith: 9/10.
    FINALLY Faith gets the starring role she deserves. And finally Angel's redemption arc makes sense, as he actually has things to atone for that AREN'T a result of soullessness. Solid villains, a fascinating new premise (London) that's used very well, and Giles gets a surprisingly prominent and INCREDIBLY effective presence throughout the season (I think this is the best Giles season since season 5 of 'Buffy', which is pretty funny, given Giles', err, "Status" in this season). The story introduces the wonderful Sophronia and Lavinia as terrific comic-relief, and does some very clever stuff with old unused lore from the show, and everyone gets full, satisfying character arcs. And I cannot stress enough how effective Faith is as a protagonist - relatable, conflicted, emotionally gripping... Everything that Angel never was. On the minus side, writer Christos Gage tends to bang us over the head with the themes, and struggles with showing instead of telling, especially in endings. That takes a bit of the shine off. Still a great season.

Angel & Faith, season 10: 6/10.
    Ugh. Do I have to explain why this sucks? The writer has no understanding how Buffyverse stories are supposed to work (hint - it's about the characters, not the plot), and he seems to do very little planning ahead as he writes, and he just... Ugh. It just sucks, okay? It's just boring. There are some bright spots too, but I'm too disappointed and pissed off to mention them.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Ethan Reigns likes this.
  8. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    Angel season 1: 9/10
    Angel season 2: 8/10
    Angel season 3: 8/10
    Angel season 4: 9/10
    Angel season 5: 10/10

Buffy season 1: 7/10
    Buffy season 2: 7/10
    Buffy season 3: 6/10
    Buffy season 4: 9/10
    Buffy season 5: 8/10
    Buffy season 6: 8/10
    Buffy season 7: 6/10

Bluebird likes this.
  9. MCatMC

MCatMC Townie

Sineya
    Buffy Season 1. 5/10 not my personal fav but not a bad season, it had some very good moments and some not so good but overall I think it was good, and funny
    Buffy Season 2. 6/10 again not the best, but I like it more than one. Mostly for the Angel/Angelus story line (which I love)
    Buffy Season 3. 6.5/10 I like this one more than 2, because it has less pointless episodes than 2, and I love Faith
    Buffy Season 4. 5.5/10 Imo better than one but worse than 2/3, I love the Willow/Tara fresh relationship ness, but I don't like the overall story line, like the Riley thing I was not/never a fan of
    Buffy Season 5. 7/10 in my book it's better than 1/2/3/4, and I actually really like the Buffy dying, the Dawn and the Glory story lines
    Buffy Season 6. 9/10 To me this is the best season in the whole show, I love the whole Buffy being brought back and Willow's addiction story lines and I think the season overall was wonderful (it also had my favorite episode)
    Buffy Season 7. 8/10 I loved the Slayer story lines and the series finale I think it was a wonderful way to end the show

Priceless likes this.
  10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Buffy Season 1. 6/10
    Buffy Season 2. 9/10
    Buffy Season 3. 10/10
    Buffy Season 4. 8/10
    Buffy season 5. 9/10
    Buffy Season 6. 8/10
    Buffy Season 7. 7/10

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  11. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    Buffy season 1: 6/10 - I didn't love it but I liked it enough to keep watching
    Buffy season 2: 7/10 - better than S1 and loved Spike/Dru
    Buffy season 3: 7/10 - a little too melodramatic at times
    Buffy season 4: 7.5/10 - the big bad was probably the weakest but I enjoyed the characters being more grown up and story lines becoming more mature
    Buffy season 5: 9/10 - hard for me to say which of the later seasons are better, I love them all for different reasons.
    Buffy season 6: 9/10
    Buffy season 7: 9/10

Priceless likes this.
  12. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

Buffy

Season 1
    : 7.5/10 It had a lot of monster of the week episodes, which isn't my favorite. I tend to like a fluid plot or at least a character driven season, but I can forgive this season since it was just getting started. The Master could have been a great villain, but they didn't focus on him enough. I also think they made a mistake in killing Darla. I think she could have been further explored, Thank God for her return in AtS.

Season 2: 9.5/10 If it wasn't for the lack of arc in the monster of the week episodes, this season would have gotten a 10/10. Spike and Drusilla were great villains, that you just couldn't help but not want them to die. Spike is hilarious and Dru is batshit crazy. I loved it. Then we get the best big bad of both BtVS and AtS, Angelus. I love how they use the metaphor of how the guy changes after you give it up. I know he was cursed, but it was very relatable. This season's finale is my favorite of both series. I just loved how strong Buffy was to kill the love of her life after he regained his soul in order to save the world. She was already my fav character on the show, but this moment solidified it for me.

Season 3: 9.5/10 I feel like it follows a direct plot better than season 2. Even though I am rating season 2 and season 3 the same, I still prefer season 2 just because of Angelus, Spike, and Dru. Faith and the Mayor are great villains. The Mayor is so bubbly yet so evil and such a germ freak. All of this makes him pretty creepy. I also had a bad feeling about Faith going evil as soon as they introduced her. I think the way they had her finally turn to the dark side was perfect for her character arc in this season. I also love this season finale. They blow up the school on graduation day and Angel leaves. Badass plus heartbreaking. I just can't help but love the Bangel angst.

Season 4: 6/10: This is a generous rating, because to me this season had no direction. Adam was a terrible big bad. Riley was such a bore. Not enough Spike to keep things interesting. This season just didn't do it for me.

Season 5: 8.5/10: I think this season has some wonderful stand a lone episodes as well as a great season arc followed by a phenomenal finale."The Body" is a great episode, it really touches on how helpless Buffy feels because she cannot save her mom from life, basically the fact that she dies from natural causes and not supernatural causes, which leads into how Buffy tells Dawn in the season finale "The hardest thing in this world, is to live in it." One of the best and truest quotes of the show. Her jumping off the tower and sacrificing herself for her family was brilliant and such a Buffy thing to do. We have seen her sacrifice the love of her life and now we see her sacrifice herself. Glory is a great big bad, she is funny and could seriously kick Buffy's ass more than the other villains could. Why I rated this lower than seasons 2 and 3 is because the Buffy bot was drug out too long and was seriously disturbing. I think the Buffy bot alone is hilarious and showed SMG's acting skills, but Spike boinking it throughout the season is just so gross. Also, Dawn, love the idea with her being the key, but this character was extremely annoying. It made it hard for me to feel sorry for her. Idk if it was the way she was written or if Michelle Trachtenberg really exploited the annoying little sister, but it just bothered me. At least we got more Anya this season to make up for it. She was great comic relief.

Season 6: 8/10: I liked how this season was very character driven. We had a great Willow arc with her addiction to magic, her trying to recover, and then her going off the deep end when Tara dies. It was very understandable and relatable, like someone with a drug addiction that then loses the love of their life which causes them to completely lose it. I enjoyed Buffy trying to deal with coming back from not just the dead, but from being ripped out of heaven. Her depression was realistic and this was the perfect way to bring the bad boy vampire and protagonist human girl together, that I just don't think vampire shows since Buffy have been able to nail like Whedon did. The attempted rape toward the end of the season was utilized brilliantly because Spike really realized how much he hurt Buffy and how he wanted to be a better man. That is an amazing epiphany for a soulless creature to have. The big bad this season was just weird. Johnathan was saved by Buffy a lot and presented her the class protector award at prom and now because his friends want to kill her so does he? Didn't make sense. His friends motives were also unclear. I just didn't get it. Thank goodness they had a lot of character struggles, arcs, and growth to keep this season alive.

Season 7: 6/10: I just don't like the potentials or the storyline with them. I prefer the: "There is only one girl in all the world to fight the demons..." Too many new characters for a last season. IMO, last season's should primarily focus on the main characters and tie up loose ends. The series finale is great and really let Buffy shine, but bam Anya's dead with no real closure on Xanya. I just didn't appreciate her death. It was so sudden and felt like she should have been killed off sooner so we could properly mourn her. The big bad idea was great, but fell flat because previous big bad's were way scarier than the First evil to ever exist. I found that odd, because the first evil should be scarier than Angelus, the Mayor, and Glory but it wasn't. All of the scoobies turning on Buffy was not cool and felt like a plot device to make Spike look like the knight in shining armor. Not saying he didn't have his moments, but the whole season felt like it was trying to make him look good and everyone else bad. Overall, good series finale, but not a solid last season.

I will do AtS tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep!

Slayerofslayers likes this.
  13. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Angel season 1: 8/10 - a good start
    Angel season 2: 9.5/10 - fang-time, love this season
    Angel season 3: 5-6/10 - meh, don't watch this season a lot so have a hard time rating it. Not a big fan.
    Angel season 4: 9/10 - operatic and powerful, too bad about Charisma's acting, but otherwise exciting
    Angel season 5: 9.5/10 - love it almooost to perfection

Buffy season 1: 9/10 - fun, campy and charming
    Buffy season 2: 10/10 - brilliant, only episode I truly don't like is Go Fish
    Buffy season 3: 9/10 - also great, feels more polished now, great emotions from all characters
    Buffy season 4: 7/10 - suprisingly strong, Adam is the weakest thing about it
    Buffy season 5: 6/10 - deep and emotional, (this is the life as the big bad season done right), but becoming forced
    Buffy season 6: 1/10 - an entire failure to continue the theme of season 5, the show trying to be something its not ends up unmoving, shallow and off-putting
    Buffy season 7: 1/10 - one point for the fight scene in Chosen, nothing for the rest

Fuffy Baith: Wow you really don't like the last two seasons
  14. Samuel Reyes

Samuel Reyes Chilling in SunnyD

Out of ten

Angel Season 1: 8.5
    Angel Season 2: 9.0
    Angel Season 3: 8.5
    Angel Season 4: 8.5
    Angel Season 5: 8.5

Buffy Season 1: 8.5
    Buffy Season 2: 9.0
    Buffy Season 3: 9.0
    Buffy Season 4: 8.0
    Buffy Season 5: 9.0
    Buffy Season 6: 8.0
    Buffy Season 7: 8.0

Both shows are so accessible I can watch them any time, therefore at least an eight for each season.

Priceless and Fuffy Baith like this.
  15. Xanderectomy

Xanderectomy Professional Procrastinator

Buffy
    S1 - 6/10 (absolutely despise the first season it was terrible with the exception of the finale)
    S2 - 8.8/10 (much better but was very inconsistent)
    S3 - 10/10 (best buffy season imo)
    S4 - 8/10 (except for a couple of episodes it was pretty boring)
    S5 - 9.5/10 (second best season imo)
    S6 - 9/10 (this is season is so good idk why people dislike it so much)
    S7 - 8.2/10 (massive drop in quality)