• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Rate the Last Movie You watched #35

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Gone Girl - 10/10
My first watch of it since the cinema. It holds up very well. Its Fincher at his best and is a perfect film in just about every department. Casting, cinematgrahpy, music, pacing etc.. Its very meaty, entertaining, gripping, and has one of the best twists of modern film. Rosamund Pike was robbed of an Oscar, also a mention for Carrie Coon whose great as the Affleck character's sister. Its top three Fincher for me along with Zodiac and Seven.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Tina (2020) 8/10
Powerful and unflitching documentary about the challenging life and musical career of Tina Turner. Though she's had a very difficult life and career at times, I still think the second half of the doc featuring her big turn around managed to be inspirational. It does a good job of paying tribute to her talent, whilst being honest about her struggles.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Tulip Fever 1/5 (because any movie you turn off can't be that good)
This movie made me so annoyed I didn't even make it till the end. I got the book at a book sale and ended up really enjoying it, so I thought the movie could be cool.
I was ok with them changing the backstory of the lead character, I was not ok with them altering the characters so that the message felt more like "adultery is ok". The book had complex relationships and this had... none of that. Hollywood, you suck. Let female characters be complex, good people can do bad things too. Beyond that the plot was meandering and weird. Pretty dresses, pretty flowers... beyond that, go read the book instead or watch some other movie, any one, it'll likely be more worth you time.

TriBel

Scooby
(because any movie you turn off can't be that good)
I'm impressed. I can't understand people who watch a movie to the end and then rate it low. I haven't got the patience.

Mr Trick said:
Powerful and unflitching documentary about the challenging life and musical career of Tina Turner.
I seem to be turning more and more to documentaries. I don't like the recent spate of Biopics.

@Taake I've always been like that with books. I don't know whether to admire the tenacity of people who stick it out or think...huh?! Staying power...I'm really short of staying power.

Last edited:
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yeah I'm not big on fictional biopics
Taake
Taake
I'm the same with books these days, if it's not good why bother finishing it?
Priceless
Priceless
Life is too short to waste on stuff you're not enjoying.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Tulip Fever 1/5 (because any movie you turn off can't be that good)
This movie made me so annoyed I didn't even make it till the end. I got the book at a book sale and ended up really enjoying it, so I thought the movie could be cool.
I was ok with them changing the backstory of the lead character, I was not ok with them altering the characters so that the message felt more like "adultery is ok". The book had complex relationships and this had... none of that. Hollywood, you suck. Let female characters be complex, good people can do bad things too. Beyond that the plot was meandering and weird. Pretty dresses, pretty flowers... beyond that, go read the book instead or watch some other movie, any one, it'll likely be more worth you time.
Oh yeah remember always seeing that pop up on streaming services around the time it came out. Doesn't it have Brie Larson or someone like that in it? It looked horrible just from the poster :D The title has to be one of the worse in history too! Hey don't know adultery its good work if you can get it;). Naturally I disagree with your last statement, but when a film of a book is that bad I get where your coming from. I still might have to tick watch it just to tick it off the list;)

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
Oh yeah remember always seeing that pop up on streaming services around the time it came out. Doesn't it have Brie Larson or someone like that in it? It looked horrible just from the poster :D The title has to be one of the worse in history too! Hey don't know adultery its good work if you can get it;). Naturally I disagree with your last statement, but when a film of a book is that bad I get where your coming from. I still might have to tick watch it just to tick it off the list;)
Close, Alicia Vikander!

I don't mind the title, as it is about the tulip mania of Amsterdam.
I just don't like it when they simplify complex relationships and makes someone a "bad guy" in order to make cheating ok. It is much more interesting when people are allowed to just make mistakes, especially when it feels like Hollywood can get squirmy about women who cheat because they like female characters to be either a madonna or a whore and nowhere in between.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
True. Shoot! I like Vikander too.

TriBel

Scooby
I don't mind the title, as it is about the tulip mania of Amsterdam.
The "black tulip" mania? I'm suspicious of flowers because of Georgia O'Keeffe...though I did read the book about orchids that was the basis of Adaptation (I liked Adaptation - Cage 'n all)

Taake
Taake
I’ve never heard it called black tulip mania, so maybe?

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
If I stay
Another book made into a movie, I read this one a few years ago and didn’t like it that much. The concept was cool, but I wasn’t too fond of the romance focus... it is very ”teen romance above all even family”.

That said, it worked so much better as a movie, either because the structure and flashbacks were better as visuals, or because the script writer was good, or because Chloe Grace Moretz is cute as a button and gave the protagonist a lot of warmth and charm.

It made me ugly cry... several times.
When her grandfather, played by the amazing SK told her he wanted her to live, but that it was ok for her to let go (die), gosh did I bawl like a baby
Even if the romance focus is still a bit off for me, I enjoyed this. Great movie adaptation... I would say a great time was had, but it is more a tearful time was had, but I cry all the time so I imagine others could watch this and not cry.

Spanky
Spanky
Stacy Keach :(

Mr Trick

Scooby
Finding Jack Charlton - 8/10
A moving, sad and engaging BBC documentary about one of Football's most distinct, entertaining and complex characters. It really opened my eyes to a lot of things such as the politics of Ireland during the late 80s/early 90s and his fall out with Bobby Chartlon.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Misery (1990) 8.5/10

April Fool's Day (1986) 5/10

Watchable 80's slasher/mystery. I don't know how to feel about the twist, but didn't see it coming so that has to be a bonus :D

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
WALL-E (2008) - 9/10
Finally got around to this (thanks to my friend picking it, lol) and so happy I did. Technically, I was already pretty sure I would enjoy it before I even started watching it, but still I was pleasantly surprised by just how much I loved it. Definitely can't wait to see it again and spot all the little details I know I missed this first time around.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
WALL-E is such a delightful movie

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Pacific Rim - easily the worst Del Toro directed movie I've seen 😕

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Would say Crimson Peak was worse personally.

whatdBuffyDo

Potential
Sineya
I've been on an animated shorts tour, these are all 10/10 experiences.
-I love the visual storytelling in each one of them, so smart, unique.
-The last one has the most amazing colors.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Godzilla vs Kong - 5.5
I was so excited to go back to the movie theatre and I wanted to see these visuals on the big screen. I'll just say it, this is not a great movie, lots of things make no sense. You really have to suspend your disbeliefs about science. One thing that bothers me and it was in the trailers but I kept thinking there is no way these ships could support the weight of both Kong and Godzilla. These are not custom built ships for a Titan, just a big normal container ship and US navy carrier, that thing would sink! But, you just have to go with it. One of the things I enjoyed was the little girl that's friends with Kong. She kind of looks like my little niece, so every time she was on screen I went, "aww".

So, despite so nonsensical human stuff and the unbelievable science, the action scenes and fights with the Titans were awesome! The visuals look great and really that's what I came to this movie for, big monster fights. And the movie delivers on that. As someone who has not seen the Godzilla movies other than the most recent American versions, I was team Kong, and this is more of Kong's movie. But there is a winner in this fight and they pull a Batman v Superman and the two team up in the end. So, 5.5 is the perfect rating for this "5" because it's an okay movie plot wise and ".5" for the awesome fights.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Godzilla vs Kong - 5.5
I was so excited to go back to the movie theatre and I wanted to see these visuals on the big screen. I'll just say it, this is not a great movie, lots of things make no sense. You really have to suspend your disbeliefs about science. One thing that bothers me and it was in the trailers but I kept thinking there is no way these ships could support the weight of both Kong and Godzilla. These are not custom built ships for a Titan, just a big normal container ship and US navy carrier, that thing would sink! But, you just have to go with it. One of the things I enjoyed was the little girl that's friends with Kong. She kind of looks like my little niece, so every time she was on screen I went, "aww".

So, despite so nonsensical human stuff and the unbelievable science, the action scenes and fights with the Titans were awesome! The visuals look great and really that's what I came to this movie for, big monster fights. And the movie delivers on that. As someone who has not seen the Godzilla movies other than the most recent American versions, I was team Kong, and this is more of Kong's movie. But there is a winner in this fight and they pull a Batman v Superman and the two team up in the end. So, 5.5 is the perfect rating for this "5" because it's an okay movie plot wise and ".5" for the awesome fights.
This is fair. I actually preferd King of the Monsters and thought the human characters and story was better in that. I enjoyed the action in this but also thought at times the effects had too much of a video game feel to them. I will re-watch it. I think the film's biggest crime might be giving Lance Reddick all of 8 SECONDS screen time!! o_O

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
I didn't like the human stuff in Godzilla King of the Monsters, but the characters that came back in this movie have nothing to do. At times it did look a bit video game but I can go with it since this is a big monster action movie.
I think the film's biggest crime might be giving Lance Reddick all of 8 SECONDS screen time!
Yes! I saw his name in the credits, forgot who the actor was cause I got his name confused with Lance Henrickson. lol. But then I saw him pop up for like 2 lines and I was like that's the Fringe guy! And then he was gone! What?! He's been so good in the John Wick movies and he only gets a small scene in this?! Even though the movie is called Godzilla vs Kong, this is more of a Kong movie, I would have liked more Godzilla stuff.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I didn't like the human stuff in Godzilla King of the Monsters, but the characters that came back in this movie have nothing to do. At times it did look a bit video game but I can go with it since this is a big monster action movie.
Yes! I saw his name in the credits, forgot who the actor was cause I got his name confused with Lance Henrickson. lol. But then I saw him pop up for like 2 lines and I was like that's the Fringe guy! And then he was gone! What?! He's been so good in the John Wick movies and he only gets a small scene in this?! Even though the movie is called Godzilla vs Kong, this is more of a Kong movie, I would have liked more Godzilla stuff.
I thought Reddick was going to play the podcast guy when I first heard his voice. The director said originally it was a bigger part for him, but that the scenes were cut down because they weren't needed. Still a waste of a good actor and potentially good character. Someone I follow on YT thought Godzilla was made into too much of a villain.

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
I thought Reddick was going to play the podcast guy when I first heard his voice. The director said originally it was a bigger part for him, but that the scenes were cut down because they weren't needed. Still a waste of a good actor and potentially good character. Someone I follow on YT thought Godzilla was made into too much of a villain.
Yeah, it feels like some scenes with the human characters were cut. Kyle Chandler has like 2 scenes, Reddick has a brief scene, the bad guys also feel rushed. But we don't don't come to these movies for the humans. Even though it feels like a waste of Chandler and Reddick. As far as Godzilla, I feel like it wasn't explained well enough why he was destroying the cities. And it's a flimsy excuse for him to fight Kong
Some ancient rivalry between their species, sure but what sparked that, Kong leaving Skull Island? Also, why is Skull Island a constant storm and Kong can't live there? Lots of unexplained stuff going on, but the monster fights were awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom