• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Rate the Last Movie You watched #35

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Trick

Scooby
School of Rock - 9/10
Still one of my favourite feel good movies. Its rare nowadays that you get both a five star comedy and a great family film in one. Jack Black at his best.

The Mauritanian - 5.5/10
Disappointing true life drama based on Mohamedou Ouid's Slahi experiences in Guantanamo Bay and the trial around it. It never felt dramatic enough or engaging, with some weird choices. Some of the dialouge was also very on the nose, the plot with the Benedict Cumberbatch character was really bland, he was wooden. It had its moments, but I was let down. Was left feeling this could have made a better documentary.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation (2004) - 3/10
A trainwreck but a very entertaining train wreck. It can be found in all its glory free on. youtube! :p

Priceless

Scooby
The Witch Part 1: The Subversion (2018) - The family drama and friendship were beautifully done, as were the fight scenes, and a great twist. Maybe a bit too long 8/10

Priceless

Scooby
It's All About Love (2003) - Why are two Polish people talking English when alone together? Couldn't finish it. It gets a 3 because of the snow 3/10

Mr Trick

Scooby
@TriBel Its a streaming service and I only know because someone mentioned it on a podcast last week. Weirdly it also has Starship Troopers 2 on. So seems it has real range :D

TriBel
TriBel
"So seems it has real range :D" Alternatively, it's on Crack! :D Who names a streaming service after something that sounds like white noise! :rolleyes:

TriBel

Scooby
I wish they'd stop with the streaming services. I've got Sky, Netflix, Disney and Prime. It's Saturday night: there's not much to do because of lockdown and I'm on here or YouTube. Could my life get anymore pathetic?

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
I relate way too much to this

Mr Trick

Scooby
Starship Troopers (1997) - 7.5/10
A fun romp of a B-movie, with nice fleshy bug effects, cool action and rip-roaring cheesy dialouge. To add to its appeal the soundtrack includes such random artists as Mazzy Star (during a fight scene) and forgotten 90's group Alisha's Attic :D

Taake
Taake
Love Mazzy Star, for a fight scene though?, but wow, I really had forgotten Alisha’s Attic

thrasherpix

Scooby
Celia 10/10

I saw this in my teens, and rewatched it a lot more than most movies through my early 20s. I couldn't remember why exactly (all the cheesy and inaccurate subtitles, like "child of terror," the movie title seems saddled with don't help) when I came across the chance to see it again and now I remember.

It gets labelled under Horror, which I think is inaccurate (though better than that one vid store that put it in comedy). I see it as more of a slice of life childhood drama during the Red Scare in Australia. I like how they capture how fast a child's feelings can change, and how love and hate can exist side by side (in adults as well, but the movie focuses more on the children).

And yet there is, to me, a whiff of Stephen King. But it's more "small town evil" (as opposed to supernatural), and psychological. Now that I think about it, perhaps I should see Stand By Me to compare/contrast (though this movie focuses on a little girl, but plenty of girls and boys are part of her world, and one day's friend may be tomorrow's enemy, and vice versa). I can see why some compare it to Pan's Labyrinth, but I consider that a different kind of movie. So far I can't think of a way to label it, which is likely why it gets mislabeled a lot.

I can see what in my background helps me to relate to that when I first saw it, but the low budget film has more to it than that, of the anxieties of childhood as they deal with the capricious world of adults. I think what makes it most effective is how lighthearted and innocent it can seem only for things to get grim fast, and then, as many children do, to move on. The way it goes back and forth keeps it engaging (though I expect its boring to those who want nonstop action) rather than just growing numb to it all. But at the same time, the highlights do drown out the everyday aspects when thinking back on it which is likely another reason it gets mislabeled, and why even I couldn't remember why I loved this movie so much even though there was so much I'd forgotten about it.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Into the Wild (2007) 7/10
A good film which could have been even better if I didn't find the lead character so annoying and hard to get on with at times.

Priceless

Scooby
Tale of Tales (2015) - Fairy tale fantasy with no happy endings. Beautifully filmed but quite depressing 7/10

TriBel

Scooby
Fairy tale fantasy with no happy endings. Beautifully filmed but quite depressing
Yeah...give or take the odd jump cut, you've just described my life. :( Is that Il racconto dei racconti? If so, I think I've got it on Blu-Ray. Never watched it (bar the first 10 minutes) 'cos no HoH subtitles.

Dogs of Winter

Potential
Tenet 7.5
I expected I would either really love or really hate this but it didnt provoke a strong reaction either way. There was a good cast and some great action scenes but while it kept my interest I never fully engaged with it.

I do wish Nolan would go back to making the occasional smaller scale film like Memento or the Prestige.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom